Mario Golf: Super Rush

Gene_MGAT_artwork.jpg

Imagine they revealed this guy in Mario golf super rush, I think the reactions would be hilarious.

In fact why did a lot of their proportions, which used to more closely resemble Mario, became way off?

They grew up.

No really, thats what happened.

That makes no sense and makes Mario and friends seem like complete ageless freaks.

I'm sure he'll lose them again, like how in Galaxy he grew bigger than Peach and got a 2nd tooth but now no longer has it.

Ps Rusty Copper Luigi is a running gag from me, which I believe was coined by Ninelendo years ago, and I don't remember much since posts about it go far back as 2014, and maybe longtime forum goers know what I'm talking about.
I don't think that I came up with it (search results show that it was probably Vommack/Tuxedo Ridley) but I definitely repeated it a bunch.

I find this inaccurate as Nintendo would never do Paper Mario realistically. Any RPG reference in a non-RPG game would go on the left side :(
Well, Paper Mario was acknowledged in Paper Jam, and in M&L stories they also met the babies. If that canon is acknowledged then I think it wouldn't be a problem. Of course we may discuss technical matters like how to implement a 2D character in 3D games.

I would have thought Paper Mario would be on the "Fan's Perspective".
Like said, protagonist alterego is part of Nintendo's inclination so I think PM is a relatively biger likeliness.

If I'm choosing Paper characters of course I'd go for the original partners. Either the ones based on known Marioverse species, or Olivia who is more a 3D character.

Golf00.png

Perhaps the humans had more variety in the older games and in the drawings and actually seem to fit in Mario's world. But I'm seeing this group render and they're super homogeneous. Mario on the background looks so visually distinctive but he also looks shopped on there.
Mainly because they come from different character designers. Like, Camelot suggested Waluigi to Nintendo, but they just let NIntendo handle his design and he ends up looking very different from their own creations. The Golf characters were more Camelot's major style. and it feels like cartoonic characters are not their thing.

Sure, we have Pokemon which universe also focus on modern human but their designs seem to be more and more polished whenever a new gen is released. If NIntendo is willing to let the Golf characters return they definitely need more polishment to be in line with the humans of the Mario main cast.

Attachments

• Golf00.png
    Golf00.png
    110.5 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Yeah I see no official portrait of her casual look so it has to be photoshopped. Her sunglasses suits the outdoor activity better.

Now here is the problem: fans and Nintendo have major cognitive difference regarding to fanservice.
View attachment 13282
Adding Wingo would have been both extremely random and welcomed. I mean sometimes I don't even understand why they created such a cool character without using it ever again. At least Draggadon reappeared in Color Splash.

I mean sometimes I don't even understand why they created such a cool character without using it ever again.
That's a recurring theme for Mario games in general. Don't expect them to reintroduce stuff they add barring a select few. Even Cappy still has a chance to be introduced as a spinoff regular, and a small chance, similar to how Rosalina took years before she was comfortably in the spinoffs, but that chance is shrinking every year and he just seems to be overshadowed by Pauline, who I think is more likely to be spinoff regular than Cappy, and she has benefit of being a legacy character too.

At least Draggadon reappeared in Color Splash.
Thanx for info. But looks like it's counted an enemy species, which Nintendo don't mind reusing in RPGs.

be overshadowed by Pauline
Uhm... really?
Pauline's formal return was Mini March from late 2006... then her official first Mario allstars sport game debut was 2018. It's hard to say she owns any advantage. She had actually been overshadowed by the Mario main cast during that time.
(I think veteran members on this board would remember that I've been complaining about this for many years)

> comfortably in the spinoffs
I wouldn't think every single character needs to fight for long stay after their first spinoff debut, given there are tons of secondary characters (and generic enemies as Nintendo like). It'd be okay if some just make one or two appearances than leave the chance to another character, so that they don't need to fight against the core main cast when the roster size doesn't have rapid growth.
For example, Paper Mario partners would suit this route. I think adding the newest RPG partner in every spinoff would be a nice advertising custom.

Rosalina's debut in Mario Kart Wii was obviously planned to be a tie with Galaxy. Also, Nabbit and Sprixie immediately made spinoff appearances back in WiiU time. So, yes, we've seen some Mario mainline newcomers. Just within Switch era I don't think we had any major mainline newcomer.

I feel like Odyssey is big enough to nominate its own original characters in spinoffs. Glydon, Tostarenan Tourist, and Madame Broode would all be nice picks.
, ,

Sure, Pauline was reintroduced in the Mario vs Donkey Kong games but she had little appearances outside of that. It's only when Odyssey came around when Pauline really showed prominence and requests for her in later games went up. I'm not denying Mario vs Donkey Kong's existence (hell why should I? they have those Mini Marios I keep headcanoning as trash talking epic gamers) but Nintendo mostly doesn't care if certain characters appear there or not.

As for the term "comfortably in spinoffs", Rosalina and Toadette took some time to be expected in spinoffs. Rosalina was absent from Super Sluggers, barely had an appearance in Island Tour, missed Mario Sports Mix, missed Mario Tennis Open, missed the whatever Olympics a few times; it'll be certainly weird today if she missed a Mario Party or a Mario Tennis these days, wouldn't it? Rosalina even managed to edge out Toad, a long-time Mario Party veteran since Mario Party 5, in Mario Party The Top 100 as well as Super Mario Party. She also edged out Toad in Smash Bros., but that's probably another thing to talk about.

Pauline seems to be slowly getting in Mario spinoffs, but time will tell if she's going to be a regular or not. She's in the latest spinoffs so far, being Tennis, Kart, and now golf. I am expecting her to reappear in the next kart in some uncertain future (seriously Mario Kart 8 is like 7 years old now).

Super Mario Galaxy and 3D World also had original characters with spinoff potential. Plessie probably has as much chance as Glydon, as in, a very small chance I think, and only Green Sprixie Princess was playable, and she managed to be the only cut from Mario Tennis Ultra Smash to Mario Tennis Aces. Lubba had his chance, he was requested a few times, and it's blown now barring a WTF pick. H. Queen was a one-time WTF pick for Mario Kart 7, but didn't reappear, not even in Mario Kart Tour for some reason.

Pauline to me just feels like a tepid, uninteresting character honestly (I view her as just another physically attractive woman...yay...?), and my thoughts about that hadn't changed since her inception as playable in Mario Tennis Aces. I'd really prefer someone wackier like Honey Queen over her, or even the Mini Mario toys if we must get something from Mario vs DK onto here. Lubba would have been pretty cool too: think of him like a parallel to King Boo and regular Boos, think would be nice if we had him and regular Lumas playable.

Pauline to me just feels like a tepid, uninteresting character honestly (I view her as just another physically attractive woman...yay...?), and my thoughts about that hadn't changed since her inception as playable in Mario Tennis Aces. I'd really prefer someone wackier like Honey Queen over her, or even the Mini Mario toys if we must get something from Mario vs DK onto here. Lubba would have been pretty cool too: think of him like a parallel to King Boo and regular Boos, think would be nice if we had him and regular Lumas playable.
What if she incorporated mini Marios into her moveset?

That's what I think will help her stand out from the rest of the cast but god forbid Mario vs Donkey Kong gets referenced outside its series barring Mini Toad cameo in Mario Kart 8.

(I view her as just another physically attractive woman...yay...?)
I used to think this too, but after playing several 3ds games i realized Peach & Daisy aren't really conventionally attractive. In addition of being in full princess garbs, Peach has her silly resting surprised face & overly sweet demeanor, while Daisy is a competitive tomboy.
Their shapes too are more resembling of average women rather than models, imo it's at least some combat to our world of media's unfair expectations on women.

golf

Last edited:
Imagine they revealed this guy in Mario golf super rush, I think the reactions would be hilarious.
At this point? Don't think so. If the Club characters do return, I think they'd be base game unlockables as their major task is to paticipate in the Story mode, and so far no reveals mention that. Unless Nintendo suddenly feel that the lack of Club characters is a mistake, I don't think they'd be DLC choices.

I am not sure Gene is the primary pick (despite the only one having a punny surname), since Plum is far more recognised by fans from what I see. Even then, I have a feeling that most of the human characters become even more generic since one of their signature traits, the golf attire, is not unique to them now that the Mario characters also wear golf attire.
I see what you mean about her. I know that Plum was the lead of the original characters from her game. just she didn't participate in stories back in her own game, and I feel like a story role would be what the Club athletes need if they return. Of course I wouldn't oppose if she does return in this case.

With that said, I think the story and their experience from past games make the Club athletes stand out from the Mario main cast. And of course their visuals need further renewals.

(Speaking of attractiveness, I do wonder if some of the male adult athletes are attractive by the standard of Mario world, since the plumber suit guys are meant to be in cartoonic looks. As for the adult ladies, I think they're in the same level with the princessese.

In case the video isn't around, basically the intro is worthy of the Camelot games on the Gamecube with Wario, Waluigi and Bowser hijinks.

Thank you for reading.

And Mario caused another explosion lol. Murdered King Bob-Omb. He's such a clumsy dude, like his brother. It's too bad Luigi doesn't get that much screentime, but that's not very prominent in other games too.

Well since people now be sharin footage about this game, may as well share this and point out that: *spoilers*

The final boss and main antagonist of the story mode is an evil snowman who wants to freeze the world and how much this amuses me as a villain concept.

Back