Random discussions

I know the bible doesn't talk about aliens either BUT what if satan created aliens AFTER the bible has been written.

WHAT

hmm well in order for life to actually exist there's a lot of different things that need to happen and i don't think we're even sure where the first earthy life came about from just chemicals mixing and then forming some very simple microorganisms or something. you'd need to know the rough order of magnitude of the probability of life existing on a given random planet and weigh that against the number of planets there are. but of course it's complex because some of them are a lot more likely to be inhabitable than others. and bear in mind that if we do find anything, it's even less likely to resemble humans in any way, and "aliens" often bring to mind roughly human-like beings so we'd need to clarify that too - if we're looking for anything that meets the "alive" criterion vs. being somewhat like humans.

Well, two things we know for sure is that life is going to be carbon-based (due to carbon's ability to form long chains and bonds; silica-based life-forms are possible as well but not as likely as carbon) and that water is essential to function (due to its versatility and its unique properties compared to other chemicals). I think it helps to have an understanding of biochemistry to understand what types of life are more likely to be feasible than not. Also, we like studying extremephiles such as waterbears and tube worms because it tests the limits of how much life can survive.

If they were they would be discovered by now.

Planet-hunting is an extremely new science that heavily favors hot jupiters since modern techniques rely on planet transit in front of the star. Hot Jupiters are big and they orbit fast around the star (some hot Jupiters orbit their stars in less than a day!), hence why a lot of them are found. We did find some Earth-like planets such as Gliese 667 Cc within a star's habitable zone, but we have no way of determining if it contains any life whatsoever.

Keep in mind that our solar system is far from fully explored. There's still a lot of secrets to be found!

Yeah, it might seem like we've been discovering exoplanets for a hella long time since there's over 4000 confirmed ones now (along with like 4500 potential ones) but the first exoplanet was only confirmed to exist in 1992, IIRC.

werent some teeny tiny critters found in water on another planet/moon on our system or am i mistaking something???
looking at wikipedia. i dont think we know anything for sure so never mind that, but its speculated some planets had liquid water and other conditions suitable for some life, and some planets are speculated to have some now like europa and titan.
wait this isnt about sapient aliens but still it seems fairly likely theres some, like, microbes elsewhere in the solar system

I think aliens are real no matter what.

So. what do you think they should come out with for the next nintendo switch mario game? I think it should be some kind of cool space game again like galaxy 3 or something.

a mario and luigi game would be nice, not sure how realistic it is tho to expect one anytime soon

At this point, I would expect more obscure Mario spin-offs, like Mario Golf, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, and Dr. Mario, to come onto the Switch soon. There are usually 3-5 games on the Switch per year, and besides direct sequels (like Super Mario Odyssey 2 or Super Mario Party 2) I can't think of that many Mario games that haven't been released on it yet.

that sounds kind of fun. what is it?

pretty sure that was a game 'announced' in the nintendo badge arcade a few years ago but oh no it was just an april fool's joke

2020 olympics next year it's happening believe

I heard about a new flavor of candy corn coming out around thanksgivingand it sounds terrible. YUCK!
TURKEY. CRANBERRY SAUCE. MASHED POTATO. AND STUFFING.

so when you try and add in the idea of intelligent life other than humans, suddenly you get difficult (and, if i'm being honest, pretty funny imo) questions about the implications of that: did Jesus die for the aliens too? Have the aliens fallen into sin? will they get into heaven with us? it would be quite a can of worms. a friend of mine, when discussing this very topic, remarked that he didn't think there were aliens simply because "if God made them, He would have told us", and I feel like that's a pretty fair summary of why i feel that "intelligent extraterrestrial life" doesn't really line up with the Biblical worldview, it just doesn't fit into the story and narrative of the universe as crafted by God.
I know the thread has changed topic by now, but if you're interested in a fictional series that speculates on how aliens could fit into the Christian worldview, then I'd recommend the Space Trilogy by C. S. Lewis. Though the third book diverges from that theme quite a bit, the first two provide an interesting take on the subject.

Did you even read my spoiler?

OK i just wondered. Well the nintendo switch took a big turn when they made mario odyssey. it kind of got worse. then there's luigi's mansion 3 which is also worse. but everyone at my local videogame store says they like em. i don't know why. DO YOU LIKE EM?

I don't understand how that's a 'turn' when you can still buy/play Mario Odyssey and everything before it. 🤔 And with covid happening, you can't blame game studios for being slower than usual with new stuff.

OK i just wondered. Well the nintendo switch took a big turn when they made mario odyssey. it kind of got worse. then there's luigi's mansion 3 which is also worse. but everyone at my local videogame store says they like em. i don't know why. DO YOU LIKE EM?
Why do not you like Super Mario Odyssey or Luigi's Mansion 3? I consider them to be the best entries in their series, and that's saying much from a '95 boomer who's supposed to find Super Mario 64 to be the best thing in the series.

I don't like how they have things in em like odyssey i don't like mario in different outfits like wedding. and explorer. and when he can become things like a t-rex or a chomp or other things. and luigi's mansion 3 i don't like how luigi walks around or the way they have the characters looking and just stuff.

yeah I hate it when I have to move in video games too

also the costumes are completely optional, and you can play a majority of the game as Mario in his normal clothes

OH. That's nice. but i don't like to watch bowser in a wedding suit either. I forgot to mention that. It's mostly because i like mario games the way they used to be. not some kind of up to dated things.

Regarding new Mario games; as much as I love the platformers my brain jumped to wanting a new Strikers. That or a Mario Kart that isn't a port.

Does any of you guys know when on sunday you get a sale in the vault shop in smash ultimate?

Back