Do you think the Mario franchise is unjustifiably overused by Nintendo?

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
Awards Committee
MarioWiki
winstein
It should be obvious to anybody familiar with the video game landscape that Nintendo puts Mario in a lot of things, and in most new ventures since Mario's debut, Mario would usually be at the forefront. As an example, certain consoles got a new Mario game as one of the frontrunners, including the legendary Super Mario World (SNES/SFC) and Super Mario 64 (N64). Another would be that in the Super Nintendo World, the first attraction to be introduced is Mario. Nintendo's promotional artwork tend to use Mario a lot, meaning that it's rare to have something else, like maybe a Legend of Zelda artwork celebrating Christmas.

In terms of amount of games, none could rival Mario. In fact, Mario surpassed having 100 unique titles that includes his spin-offs and side-character series (think Yoshi or Wario), ever since his debut in the 1981 Donkey Kong game. They're not without merit though, as a lot of those titles have over a million sold. Others like Legend of Zelda or Kirby doesn't have that sort of reach that Mario has, so one might consider Mario overused.

On one hand, there is a reason Mario is frequently used: he is a very renowned and proven character and what he stands for. Meaning, his games will most usually be a quality game, and this trustworthiness is key to Mario being more easily accepted. His multiple spin-off series are itself powerhouses that could stand on their own, so things like Dr. Mario, Mario Kart and Mario Party are treated independently due to having multiple (successful) iterations for each, unlike most franchises that didn't have that luxury (usually the Kart spin-offs are the most successful; ask Sonic and Crash). Some would say that this treatment of Mario is the reason he's still a big thing even after he's approaching 40 years of gaming.

On the other hand, some fans of a smaller franchise wishes that they could get the attention and effort that Mario usually gets, in order to boost their profile a bit further. Maybe for example, a Kid Icarus fan wishes that its universe could get a new game. Another opinion one might have is that whenever a new concept is introduced, Mario would "usurp" the exciting concept, when it could have been used for a less-popular universe. As an example, Panel de Pon was converted to a Yoshi game in English territories, although the game's usage of "Tetris" is the bigger issue in my opinion.

As for me, I suppose I don't see much of an issue with Mario being used as frequently as he is, since I already liked Mario so I don't see an issue with his overuse. It's also a very amazing thing to have a video game character from the classic era being as successful as he is now, since the older characters are more prone to being forgotten compared in favour of the modern stuff or that their representation is mainly from their older stuff. Pac-Man is one such case for the latter, where his attempts to modernise is not very successful, whereas his classic stuff that made him famous are often used.

Even though the nature of the community means that the topic might be biased, let's still hear from all of you and see what you think of the topic's question.

Thank you for reading.

I don't feel that Mario's prominence is an issue, as Nintendo is groups of teams rather than one cohesive one that chooses a certain game to make each time. A Kid Icarus game could still exist with Mario in development, and while I am disappointed at how the West handled Panel de Pon, I think the culture of the time made it unappealing to them and Yoshi was a simple, safe rebranding choice. I think that Nintendo's unwillingness to go with some other IPs is due to their age, lack of sales, etc. but I wouldn't say that correlates to Mario continuing to get games just because he is popular.

To me, the only time I'm frustrated about Mario is when it feels as if the series has stagnated creatively, as was popular opinion from, I want to say roughly Galaxy 2 - Odyssey, and of course the trend of removing unique character designs from the RPGs was also frustrating. The thing is like, Mario games can be full of unique, really cool concepts with a lot of spins on the existing universe if they actually draw from the character and setting bank they have, and when that comes in to play then I'd say Mario seeing a lot of action is justified

I don't feel that Mario's prominence is an issue, as Nintendo is groups of teams rather than one cohesive one that chooses a certain game to make each time. A Kid Icarus game could still exist with Mario in development, and while I am disappointed at how the West handled Panel de Pon, I think the culture of the time made it unappealing to them and Yoshi was a simple, safe rebranding choice. I think that Nintendo's unwillingness to go with some other IPs is due to their age, lack of sales, etc. but I wouldn't say that correlates to Mario continuing to get games just because he is popular.

To me, the only time I'm frustrated about Mario is when it feels as if the series has stagnated creatively, as was popular opinion from, I want to say roughly Galaxy 2 - Odyssey, and of course the trend of removing unique character designs from the RPGs was also frustrating. The thing is like, Mario games can be full of unique, really cool concepts with a lot of spins on the existing universe if they actually draw from the character and setting bank they have, and when that comes in to play then I'd say Mario seeing a lot of action is justified
Yeah I basically agree with this

Mario earned Nintendo essentially all of their fame. As much of a fan of some other franchise of theirs as I am, Mario is the one who deserves to be on the frontlines. I don't see how unjustified is how overused he is. I do wish that other franchises get more exposure but not at the expense of Mario.

Long as the games are of good quality they can make as many Mario games as they want.

Mario may be overused. That is why Nintendo is so popular.

As others in this thread have already said, Mario may be overused. But it is not, by any stretch, unjustified. Mario is the reason Nintendo is so popular, even the reason that gaming as we know it still exists today. His games have always been consistently great for the most part, and his design has definitely stood the test of time. There's a good reason he's so popular.

Compared to the likes of the oversatuaration of Disney properties I see on the market (such as Star Wars, Marvel, etc.), Mario is fairly tame when it comes to merchandising.

When it comes to IPs in a franchise, Nintendo can do far, far worse. While there are some franchises that Nintendo probably should try getting on their feet again (Kid Icarus, Metroid, F-ZERO, Diddy Kong Racing, Golden Sun) I think the current lineup of games we're getting is favorable. In fact, this question probably should've been posed back in the mid 2000s where Mario Party is an annual game, there appears to be a Mario game for every sport imaginable, and there's the odd DDR: Mario Mix. Mario's always seen a few games every year, though. Anyhow, if you compare this to Sega's handling of IPs.... do you guys know any Sega IPs beyond Sonic? You guys wouldn't even know Bayonetta if it weren't for Nintendo reviving the IP and getting her playable in Smash. But Alex Kidd? Beyond Oasis? Crazy Taxi? Ecco the Dolphin? Billy Hatcher? Golden Axe NiGhts? There are some Sega IPs still relevant like Daytona, Super Monkey Ball, and Yakuza, but there's a lot of IPs Sega has left behind for quite a while, and honestly, at least within this fanbase, most people can't really list five Sega IPs compared to easily listing five Nintendo ones. Out of the top of my head, Mario, Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, Kirby, Animal Crossing.

While one might lament the amount of Mario games especially during the Mario platformers before Odyssey, or one can lament the amount of playable Mario characters in Smash Bros./general Mario content like stages while other characters in the roster appear missing, I've always seen people justify that amount of content. Mario is Nintendo's flagship franchise, one of the biggest breadwinners. He's one of the OG Nintendo franchises, too, and the franchise transformed Nintendo into a giant. Nintendo has to capitalize on Mario's popularity, then, while also paying homage to his success (think about the Hanafuda cards they used to manufacture, but now they put Mario characters in them). Also, unlike Metroid, Mario does have a more general appeal so his audience is part of a wider net. He's easy to merchandise. Mario's also a very versatile character, he's designed this way. It's why he fits so well kart racing or golfing, so it's natural he explores other games rather than his home game. This is not to say Legend of Zelda or Metroid cannot have spinoffs, but I don't think fans of those two have really clamored for more spinoff games, not at least compared to people wanting Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, Mario Strikers, etc.

And speaking of merchandise, while Mario is frequently found in stores, I think Mario's still overshadowed by many, many Disney properties and even Pokemon, another Nintendo franchise. I think Legend of Zelda, while not matching Mario in terms of game sales, still has a giant clout and has sometimes a few advantages up its sleeve. I've seen Legend of Zelda merchandise before I've seen Mario sometimes, sometimes more numerous than the Mario stuff. The sales of the Link amiibo is most popular in the U.S., beating out Mario. Link has seen a guest appearance in Soul Caliber, Link has his own indie spinoff game (something not even Mario has). Also compared to Pokemon, while Mario has unparalleled game sales, Pokemon has far more merchandise for it (though saturated with Pikachu, the gen 1 starters, and Eevee), including tons of plushies that outnumber Mario plushies, an established card game, a long-running anime series, and way more manga than Mario. It's not really that fair to complain about Mario being overused when there are franchises that at least rival it. To be fair, they're all video game franchises, first and foremost, which Mario has a clear advantage, but other big franchises have beaten Mario in other aspects, so to accuse Mario of being overused is just one lense, the video games aspect, and fails to consider other ways a franchise can expand its popularity.

I also agree. However, I don't believe there's a single team that's dedicated to producing Mario games, though some teams, as of later, have mostly made Mario games such as AlphaDream. Nintendo EPD has made WarioWare Gold on top of Super Mario Odyssey. 1-UP Studio does seem to have been developing generally Mario games lately, but it started as a branch of Square Enix, and it has developed Sword of Mana, Magical Starsign, Mother 3. Intelligent Systems is responsible for Fire Emblem and WarioWare as well as Paper Mario. Camelot has made Golden Sun as well as Mario Tennis. So some Mario franchises we know are tied to studios that make other games, so you have times where you won't see another Golden Sun because the studio's busy making Mario Tennis or Mario Golf, much to the chagrin of fans. Though in some cases, it goes the other way; people didn't really appreciate Metroid Federation Forces once they realize the developer is Next Level Games, and they have been waiting for Mario Strikers for years (and maybe some clamored for Punch-Out as well).

For the second paragraph, that is an issue within the franchise, though I can't say that era is exactly unique to Mario. As I said earlier, Mario has seen annual Mario Party releases at one point. And at that point, Mario hasn't seen a single 2D platformer since World, an SNES game, until we got New Super Mario Bros. DS, which was intended to be a fresh reimagining of the original Super Mario Bros. game rather than Super Mario Bros. 4. Mario has came off as more of a games chugger before, but it's been toned down in the recent years.

Nor can I say the issue with saturation is unique to Mario. I will argue that Pokemon does their games far worse than Mario despite having fewer games, owing to the cynical version split, a second version that's not too much different and has its own cynical version split, questionable subscription services on top of transferring issues from earlier versions, and Pokemon plays like a game that hasn't changed all that much from the 90's. It's been called a game with DNA from the 90's, and it painfully shows in some aspects. Mario, on the other hand, doesn't have the same amount of cynicism and staleness I've associated with Pokemon.

Mario earned Nintendo essentially all of their fame. As much of a fan of some other franchise of theirs as I am, Mario is the one who deserves to be on the frontlines. I don't see how unjustified is how overused he is. I do wish that other franchises get more exposure but not at the expense of Mario.
Honestly I think that's what's going recently, though what you deem as "expense", you might not agree. There's not a lot of Mario games lately, at least compared to the crop years ago. 2019 was pretty bare on Mario games, but we've got announcements for new Metroid, new Animal Crossing, new Fire Emblem, and some other franchises I missed. We probably should be getting new Pikmin, it's only a matter of time. But when you see people's wishes during a new Direct, I notice it's not a lot of Mario content, it's usually other IPs. I usually stick around for Mario content, so I've been skipping a lot of directs as of lately.

I like Mario. I don't mind him being "overused".
Meh me neither but as Koops said, I don't want other franchises get swallowed by Mario. I do want Toad and Waluigi playable in Smash, but that'll be two extra new Mario reps. It seems selfish of me to want them especially when people complain about the lack of Donkey Kong reps or something.

Long as the games are of good quality they can make as many Mario games as they want.
Most Mario games fortunately have pretty good quality. If they were all so terrible, I probably wouldn't be a Mario fan, eh? I certainly wouldn't be waiting patiently for a new Mario Golf, Mario Party (you can disagree with me on that one), Mario Tennis (a one that doesn't suck). Hell, there is a Mario spinoff franchise that never gets my attention that much, that's Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games.

Back