30 questions (a question a day) challenge

Day 27 - Most Epic Scene Ever

Reactions: zel
day 28 - favorite game developer also oh man its almost over..
honestly i dont realy know. prob nintendo! lotta charm here and just good game designs

nintendo, if we mean a company

if it has to be one person, id say jens bergensten for his awesome comittment as minecraft lead developer, but markus persson and ryota kawade are runners up

Last edited:
Nintendo

markus persson

Ugh.

Anyway, my favorite game developer is, of course, Nintendo EAD, specifically the team behind Mario Kart 7 and 8 and the team led by Kosuke Yabuki. Shigeru Miyamoto is great, for obvious reasons. But if if we want to do nonNintendo games, Maxis is my favorite, who developed Spore: Galactic Adventures, Darkspore, and the Sims 4, and I really like Will Wright, though he left the company after Spore's release.

would you mind clarifying your ugh about my opinion

Markus Perrson made some pretty awful remarks regarding plenty of subjects, including transphobia (called transwomen mentally ill), anti-feminism, tweeted support of heterosexual pride day, said it's okay to be white, and when called out on his tweets, deleted his previous ones and doubled down, saying "So yeah, it's about pride of daring to express, not about pride of being who you are. I get it now." He's also a QAnon subscriber, a right-wing conspiracy movement that believes that there's a deep state opposition to Trump.

Markus Perrson made some pretty awful remarks regarding plenty of subjects, including transphobia (called transwomen mentally ill), anti-feminism, tweeted support of heterosexual pride day, said it's okay to be white, and when called out on his tweets, deleted his previous ones and doubled down, saying "So yeah, it's about pride of daring to express, not about pride of being who you are. I get it now." He's also a QAnon subscriber, a right-wing conspiracy movement that believes that there's a deep state opposition to Trump.
i didnt know about that but if thats so thats really sad cause i was such a big fan of the guy

I understand how that feels. It's a love-hate relationship. You love the guy's work a lot and he's provided a source of inspiration for your life, but you simply cannot disassociate his abhorrent views from his work, so it taints things quite a bit. At least Jens Bergensten has a clean record so far, crossing my fingers that he does.

Favorite dev?

Like, listen guys. I love Fire Emblem. I love Mario. I love playing Nintendo.

But if there is one dev that really truly inspires me, it's Toby Fox, the creator of UnderTale.

This man was but a simple guy who just wanted to make a cool game. He works, so far, by himself. Yet look at the lengths he's achieved. His game is successful and widely recognized, one of his characters has a costume in Smash, he composed a piece for Pokemon Sword/Shield... he's only just begun his ascension, and I can tell, he's going to go places. His hard work is being slowly rewarded.

day 29 - a game you thought you wouldnt like but ended up loving
nothing i exactly thought id dislike moreso just stuff i wasnt sure id really like that much but. i was half excited and half scared to play rayman 3 for the first time because some things in it make me uncomfy.. i mean they still do but i ended up loving the game way WAY more than i expected to!
oh and right i just finished replaying harry potter and the philosophers stone and i finally beat it for the first time and its kinda similar here. i was scared of getting to it too because i remembered the clunky controls and other stuff but no it also ended up way more enjoyable than i expected!
now that i think about it too. this isnt a whole Game but i used to dislike the tribal stage in spore for some reason but in my playthroughs i did a few months ago (and those were my firts full playthroughs in like Years) i also ended up enjoying it a lot surprisingly.. now im excited to get to it every time for some reason FHLDFKGB

super paper mario kind of counts. i didnt think i would dislike it, i was interested enough to say yeah ill buy this game over bowsers inside story (tho i did eventually get to play that game too) and as i was hooked on nsmbw for the few days after xmas 2011 i still thought yeah ill get to playing that strange paper game eventually... it would be an understatement to say i liked this game more than i thought i would

minecraft also counts, i always thought of it as a dumb game which people play when they have better things to do, and i tried it on my friend's phone age 10 and it sucked, but later on our family stayed in a holiday home which had an xbox 360 in it and the respective minecraft edition. i thought "hey its that stupid game again" but once again my brother played it and instantly changed my mind, and again i discovered a new favourite from him, minecraft was my second favourite game of all time for the next three years, until i discovered ttyd

bowsers inside story i guess i kind of underestimated at first, it took me until like 15 to fully appreciate this game

i was slightly anxious about 3d land and 3d world because some people consider them dissappointments, but i loved them both in the end thankfully

smb2 i was expecting to not like very much, but i guess i have an ok time with it, still tho, i really dont have much of a motivation to play this when i could be playing super mario maker 1 (as i only own smb2 on wii u vc)

Kirby: Triple Deluxe. I got it for Christmas 2014, even though it wasn't on my want list. I thought I wouldn't like the game at all, but I ended up loving it for its gameplay and difficulty, so in the following years, I got more Kirby games to play.

Paper Mario 1 is probably my best answer. I played Super Mario RPG before this game and I was disappointed at how poorly it had aged. As a result, I wasn't exactly looking forward to Paper Mario, but it turned out to be surprisingly fun and aged much better than its predecessor.

Wii Sports, and Resort?

I was initially disappointed when these came with my Wii. I was happy to get a Wii but I mostly wanted it for NSMBWii, but I'm actually having a blast with it these days, and yes, I'm playing it these days. In fact, one thing I'm enjoying is just making Miis of various characters (or even irl people) so I can pit them together. Thanks to this, me and my brother can now have a tennis match opposing Dwayne The Rock Johnson and Sempai from the Anime "Magical Sempai". Yes. THIS sort of shit is now what is keeping me attached to these games.

FE: Binding Blade is the Fire Emblem game I never thought I'd love. At the time, I saw a playthrough of it on youtube and the relatively low hitrates on everyone were uncanny to me, but after I've played it on its hardest difficulty it's now my second favorite in the series.

Day 26- Best voice acting
Most of the games I play don't really have voice acting other than small voice clips, but I guess in terms of that the M&L series as a whole, i love all the gibberish Mario and Luigi say to each other and they know how to use the right voice clips to really sell certain interactions (except some in the BIS remake that they changed for no reason)

Day 27- Most epic scene ever
the final bosses and endings of most of the Mario RPGs. TTYD and SPM in particular. Also Mario Galaxy's ending cinematics were amazing

Day 28- Favorite game developer
Nintendo, Intelligent Systems and AlphaDream (RIP)

Day 29- Game you thought you wouldn't like but ended up loving
this one is hard. i tend to not get games I don't think I'll like, unless it's for the sake of it being part of a series that's important to me but those tend to be exactly what i expected them to be. I'll give this one to Animal Crossing: New Horizons. I wouldn't say I expected to hate it, but it's pleasantly surprised me. I still don't know quite how long I'll hold onto my interest in it, but right now it's fun. it also let me do this

EUJaXXMXsAIP6Sq.jpg

Day 29 - A game you thought you wouldn't like, but ended up loving.

I think for this year, it's definitely The Sims 4 especially in the wake of its initial mediocre reception compared to The Sims 3 which meant it had to live up to something. Though one of the things it had going for it was that it was my first Sims game, so it had that going for it so I was oblivious of the omissions and changes it had (maybe aside from the open world, that would have been better to have than the loading screens in the game). Yeah, I've heard about the Sims for a while, and the idea of custom humans didn't captivate me as much as making my own little critters in Spore. Fastfoward to today, where the things that decided me to get The Sims 4 was this

and GrayStillPlays Sims 4 death videos like this one

I loved these videos, to say the least. The amount of customization was great when it came to building buildings, especially with how ridiculous you can make them and how specifically designed they are to kill them. The ways Sims died looked really funny, especially out of seeing them literally die of embarrassment or anger, and then seeing Death casually show up, taking their souls away, and then maybe trying a dish out at your place.

So, that's when I got The Sims 4 and its expansions. And I ended up falling in love with my Sims, and they did their own sets of stupid antics, and, like an RPG, loved seeing their skills grow over time. I love seeing them talk and have relationships with other guys, and it's not always happy, they can say dumb things to each other too that embarrass each other or make them upset...or you can choose to make them awkward and mean! My favorite Sim, Raymond "Ray Trace" Travkin, got attacked by bees, plasma bats, and birds in one day, and then I made him write a book that has it titled that, and it became an awards seller. And then, I've made other households, one of them to troll my dudes, another containing another large family of 'em. And funny thing is, out of the two 6 member households, only one of them is a girl. I also love how all of them have assigned roles, like Luigi being the handyman while Mario is the cook or Darcy is the cop while Recaredo is the guy who fishes clay out of water.

Create-a-Sim is great too. There's a lot to say about it, and I love all of the different outfits you can pick. While I do wish it has a color picker like the Sims 3 did, it has a pretty great wardrobe and assortment of items that can make your Sim feel unique, I know my Sims are. I enjoy giving them personalities, aspirations, voice, and little tweaks you can make to their faces, and then, you can create the most hideous, horrendously unfittingly dressed Sim out there which is also fun since you will see them minding their own business in the overworld.

Anyway I've rambled on about the game but honestly, there's a lot more I can say about it that I enjoyed, like say, the radio station music or some of the expansions I'm lucky to own. There's a surprisingly great amount of depth and content to this game that it has gotten me hooked for several days straight and it did satisfy my genre preferences by being that game you have control over and you get to pick the narrative.

Day 29- Game you thought you wouldn't like but ended up loving
this one is hard. i tend to not get games I don't think I'll like, unless it's for the sake of it being part of a series that's important to me but those tend to be exactly what i expected them to be. I'll give this one to Animal Crossing: New Horizons. I wouldn't say I expected to hate it, but it's pleasantly surprised me. I still don't know quite how long I'll hold onto my interest in it, but right now it's fun. it also let me do this

You should also try out New Leaf as well, that game has Mario-themed furniture!

day 30 - your favorite game of all time oh my god i predicted this one
anyway! mario odyssey! its just so fun and pretty and charming and like o my GOD i love So much about it
spore is def number 2 im pretty sure, but it might be number 1 even! i LOVE the limitless creative potential and its also realy dam charming but most importantly. it just means so much to me. i played it first as a bebey and oh m god what an effect did it have on me. was first an interest on space, but later just sorta changed into an interest in biology and speculative biology.. yea wow i had a lot to say here huh
for others i really like a lot too but cant exactly number: i love harry potter and hte chamber of secrets!!! i know i keep bringing it up but its just a well designed and fun game and also another one i played as a babey. nostalgia bias be like that!
rayman origins Really got dam good and also charming and good gameplays. legends is better gameplay and level design wise but i like origins' harder difficulty and also its just way more charming honestly

tldr mario odyssey and spore

I know I've said Dream Team countless times for this, but I haven't been able to play it in over 16 months, and having been introduced to a ton of new games since then I can't really know if it still stands up.

So what game am I answering with? Kirby and the Rainbow Curse. I don't know what it is, but everything about it was just a sheer joy to play through. The gameplay was fun and unique, and the artstyle and music made it even more memorable on top of that. The diary pages especially...something about them makes the adventure feel so much deeper. It's a shame how few people have played this game, because it really is something amazing.

Honorable mentions:
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Super Mario Galaxy 1 + 2
Super Mario Odyssey
Kirby Star Allies

I answered about 10% of the questions, so now I'm going to answer all of them at once (ft. repeat answers):
Day 1: Cars on the Leapster/Leapfrog. I probably played other games, but this is the only game on the Leapster/Leapfrog that I can remember playing.
Day 2: Dr. Eggman
Day 3: The Sims games on handheld (GBA and DS). I own Urbz: Sims in the City, and it's a surprisingly good game. Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2, it's a fantastic shooter that I never hear anyone talk about.
Day 4: Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Wii), the games in this series get far more hate then they deserve and I could put any of the here, but I chose this one as it's my personal favourite, and as London 2012 is often considered the best instead of this game. I actually enjoy playing a lot of the events, and there's lots of extras features that makes the game feel more complete, and gives the player more to do, and more reasons to play.
Day 5: I find it hard to describe myself, so I'll just say Eggman because this a character related question and I like him.
Day 6: Daisy, I find her high pitched voice to be annoying.
Day 7: I don't do ships.
Day 8: Sonic Unleashed. A soundtrack that's full of variety, yet still manages to feel as if suits the Sonic series.
Day 9: I'm not really one to get emotional at media, as I often don't care about the story. I wouldn't really consider any scene in a game to have made me sad.
Day 10: Super Mario Odyssey has been mentioned by a few people and Mario controls really well in that game, Cappy fits really well into his moveset as well. My only complaint is that most of transformations aren't that fun too use. Another choice is Sonic & All-Stars Transformed, it feels really good to chain multiple boosts together.
Day 11: Switch. My PC can not run anything.
Day 12: To be honest, I think people should just give a variety of different games a try. It doesn't matter what series it's from or company it's by, I think it's a good idea to try something unique and new.
Day 13: Any game I enjoyed, and even some I didn't enjoy. Playing a game more than 5 times feels like a rather small amount, and is rather easy to do.
Day 14: Bad Boss Brothers from Kirby Star Allies View attachment 2534 On Xbox it's possible to set the background to an image saved on the console (when can I do this on Switch), so I currently have it set to the outside of Guntilda's Lair from Banjo-Kazooie.
Day 15: I just played Ori and the Will of the Wisps, but I can't be bothered to get a screenshot.
Day 16: I don't really care about cutscenes, so I won't bother answering this question.
Day 17: Did you know Dr. Eggman was playable in Sonic Adventure 2, so technically he could be considered a protagonist. Of course I'll consider this answer to be protagonist of the series, and I'll give to that to Kazooie from Banjo-Kazooie.
Day 18: Can you take a guess? If you said Dr. Eggman, then you're correct!
Day 19: Spagonia from Sonic Unleashed, it's a place that I like the look of, and races happen there.
Day 20: Racing. Link to the post in my ask thread talking about the games I've played in this genre.
Day 21: I don't really care about story, but Ori and the Blind Forest is one of the few games that actually managed to keep my interested in it's story.
Day 22: Team Sonic Racing, it's Transformed without the crossover aspect, or the same level of depth in the mechanics. All of the new tracks are worse then the ones in Transformed, the game controls worse, and it's brought down further by the fact that the game is built around team mechanics, to the detriment of playing the game by yourself. Also Mario Kart 7.
Day 23: Cuphead is the first game that comes to mind, the artwork is so well drawn and animated.
Day 24: Banjo-Kazooie, and fantastic 3D Platformer for the N64, full of well designed levels, great music, and a cast of memorable characters.
Day 25: There's a lot of games I want to play, but right now the games I want to get the most are Mario Kart 64, so I can play all of the Mario Kart games, and both Sonic Adventure games.
Day 26: Mike Pollock as Dr. Eggman obviously.
Day 27: The opening to Ori and the Blind Forest, which as I mentioned earlier it's one of the few games where I cared about the story, and the opening definitely helped with that.
Day 28: Can I say SEGA? I like their more arcadey style of making games with replay value, rather then making 200 hour long games that I will never want to play again.
Day 29: Yoku's Island Express. My dad had told me about it, but I wasn't too sure whether or not I would like it so I decided to skip. I later read Nitwit's reccomendation of it in the 'Shroom, and decided to give it a try. It's a surprisingly fun game, that I still need to finish.
Day 30: Overall there's many games that I would consider to be my favourite.
Rayman Legends is a brilliant platformer that's a lot of fun to play.
Sonic Mania is endlessly replayable, and the Classic Sonic physics still hold up.
Banjo-Kazooie's worlds are so well designed, and is fun to play.
And Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is a lot of fun, with well designed tracks, and fast but fun gameplay.

Oh boy. A year ago today, I would have replied with Mario Galaxy. It still is by far my favorite Mario game of all, by favorite game altogether? Well... with my introduction to Fire Emblem and my subsequent falling in love with the series, Mario Galaxy's fall from power was nothing but inevitable.

So yeah, I present to you, my new favorite game, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.

It was a nice, chill game from start to finish, the base system and the new support system gave it an edge over other games, it has a stellar ost, it has about one of the best casts of characters in the series (a bonus), and the maps just feel so good to play on. Really, the only flaw I see here is that the animations are slow. But even then, the glorious 3D makes it worth it (and I might be one of the only people who like FE9 animations).

I love this game the most, and it has definitely earned the spot. Many other FEs can do some things better than it but overall, Path of Radiance did the most things right.

I, uh, I don't have a set favorite game. There are several games I keep talking about on the thread that would vy for my position of "favorite game" but in reality, there is no single one game I have listed as a favorite. I guess I'll list games that have influenced me as a person.

Super Smash Bros. and various Mario games for obvious reasons that my parents and peers know how much of an obsessed Mario freak my twin and I are. Baby Luigi is still my absolute favorite video game character to this day.

Spore: Galactic Adventures was one of the first PC games that I played seriously. It also heavily influenced the design of my first OC and my subsequent ones. Anyone who has played the game and used its captain editors can instantly recognize the parts I've used on her.

HHC1GAp.png

Left 4 Dead 2 was the basis for the rest of my OC designs as well as giving me a huge appreciation for Russian culture and stuff thanks to the dub.

Grand Theft Auto V has my favorite video game setting of all time and actually let me play as cops for once, appreciating them a bunch.

Rayman Legends is my favorite 2D platformer of all time.

The Sims 4 is a new game I got this year that I got utterly hooked on and would rank among my all-time favorites list.

Super Mario Odyssey

super

paper

mario

Back