Will there be Super Mario Odyssey 2?

• Yes

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • MAYBE

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters
Now to move on to something I'd also like to see in relation to making cities feel more alive. Wouldn't it be nice if they included sports more in Super Mario Odyssey 2?
Yes, there was the volleyball minigame and the rope jumping, but that was... boring and tedious. I was thinking of giving some of the kingdoms their own stadiums where there can be held soccer matches or athletics competitions!

Towns in Odyssey having their own sports teams and forming rivalries would have been so great! In fact, I even gave the kingdoms their own sports teams! Look:

• Bonneton Bluecaps
  • Tostarena Jaxis
  • Steam Garden Woodpeckers
  • New Donk Scrapers
  • Shiveria Fireballs
  • Bubblaine Launchers
  • Volbono Vulcans
  • Broodal Blades
Now that we're on the topic of including sports teams and stadiums, here's a minigame idea that I have in mind: Cap-tain Battle! How this works is that two or four players battle it out in a stadium, not only against themselves, but also with a lot of enemies that try to hurt the players! You can use Cappy to capture an enemy to attack your true foes, and whoever stands longest is the winner! It's actually as simple as this. It can be either free-for-all, 1 vs 1 battle or 2 vs 2 team battle, and there will be multiple stadiums to choose from.

Honestly, I think those ideas work better for a dedicated Mario spin-off title than being integrated in an Odyssey sequel. I've been craving a new Mario sports game for a while now, and I think it would be interesting to see that built upon as its own thing, with even more playable characters and ways to build your team. Having it heavily Odyssey inspired would be neat too.

Today a little other thing: Christmas is coming in about a month, so today my idea is Christmas-themed! And it's the obvious idea, I admit, but I'd love to see a Santa character appear in a Winter Kingdom, which, to be fair, there probably will be a snowy kingdom.
Who could this little Santa be? A brand new character would be nice, maybe it could be someone who likes to dress up. It would be great if you had to search for a 'fake' character in each kingdom, and if you talked to him, you would get a Moon. For example, when he would've gone to the Sand Kingdom, he would have worn a poncho and a giant ass sombrero, but you needed to find that he wasn't like the other Tostarenans. Or that he's a very skinny Shiverian in Snow Kingdom. Things like that. Kind of like dress up party, but more fun.
It's just a little idea that I created right now so I don't expect much of it... hehe.

The chances of this happening are incredibly slim, but what if there was time travel? Bowser could try to stop Mario during the events of Odyssey 1, while Mario navigated through past and future versions of returning kingdoms, as well as new ones. NDC could be a typical 1800s city in the past and futuristic in, well, the future. Ruined Kingdom could be at its peak. There would be so many cool opportunities.

Another too-good-to-be-true thing; some people have said there could be Luigi, Peach, and Daisy with different statistics. I'd like to add on to this idea;
1. There could be different (but intersecting) storylines for each character/group of characters.
2. The characters could each have a bit more variety. Mario's storyline could feature controls like Odyssey 1, but the other characters could have a few bonus quirks. One could be faster, one could have more complex combat controls (a la Link's SMM2 appearance); I could think of more, but I'm not creative right now. xD

And of course, just minor, fun additions; new costumes, new captures, maybe new minigames.

If there's time travel, there needs to be E. Gadd, Shroobs, and the Baby Mario Bros. involved.

I was thinking E. Gadd too; he could soup up the Odyssey for time travel or make other (Gadd)gets for the heroes to use.

Of course, Nintendo likes to keep spin-off characters in spin-off games for the most part, but anything could happen.

Last edited:
What about the future? I highly doubt they would go to the somewhat-near future (within 100 years) because that would reveal way too much, like whether or not Mario and Peach get together for real. It would be cool to go to the far future of the Mushroom Kingdom and surrounding areas, though. Everything could be futuristic while still maintaining the general Marioverse feel - like something along the lines of Neo Bowser City. Maybe some kind of dystopian conflict would be going on, and the past gang would help stop it. Something like that.

That's more of an idea for a completely different game. There's no way Odyssey 2 would go to the future. The past, though... I like that idea a lot, and I think it has at least a teensy tiny chance of being utilized.

There could also maybe be some origin stories, or just physically visiting past events or areas; there could be maybe something taking place just before Rosalina's Storybook, or maybe even during it. (There's something else - space travel.)

Someone mentioned that an Odyssey 2 could never capture (no pun intended) the magic of the original, and I agree with them to an extent. However, with time travel thrown into the mix, Odyssey 2 could not only be something to create magic; it could be a celebration of all of the magic that already exists.

Miyamoto wants to avoid creating a universal canon, but doing this would allow for a humongous game with so much in it. I'd say that it would be worth it.

Thanks for reading my long comments.

Personally I think we'll get it, but only after a 3D World port. That would be something for the time being for Odyssey 2.

I haven't been on here for a LONG while. Out of fear of leaving again, I'll share my other ideas here:

Firstly, it would have been a blast if the kingdoms felt more alive. I already spoke about towns and stadiums iirc, but the wildlife was... limited? There were unique birds to each kingdom, but that's really where it stopped. The Cascade Kingdom really lacked a few turtles or salmon, and so did the Wooded Kingdom fail in feeling like a real jungle. The only animals that could be found there according to the wiki are chipmunks! Where are all the colorful frogs (which Mario can capture), sizzling snakes, tiny tarantula's, attacking bears (also capturable) and swinging monkeys? The Tall Tall Mountain stage in Super Mario 64 even had a monkey!
Here's a couple animals I missed in some of the kingdoms besides Wooded and Cascade:
Sand Kingdom: Scorpions, or camels/antelopes. Something like the Sprawling Savanna stage in 3D World.
Lake Kingdom: Penguins would be cool. Also an Anglerfish which you could've used in a darker underwater area by capturing it.
Metro Kingdom: A lot of cities these days are also inhabited by monkeys. Maybe some big-ass ants.
Snow Kingdom: Seals. Lots of seals. They seal the deal. They should've also picked snowy owls instead of penguins as the birds. Penguins don't even fly.

Now here are two minigame ideas:
The first is a Tag/Hide and Seek game. It's kind of like the Balloon Minigame, but actually multiplayer. It works like this: Half of the players are seekers, and the other players have some time to hide somewhere or run away from the seekers. You can either choose to try and find a great, clever hiding spot, or run away from the seekers and play a game of catch the rabbit. However, the latter isn't that good of an option, since the seekers will be able to run faster. Otherwise the game would be broken by simply running. So unless your parkour skills are excellent, it's a game of hide-and-seek.
Another game is a Cap-tain Battle. You spawn in a playing area with an opponent and a lot of capturable enemies. The enemies will try to attack you just like your opponent, and the goal is to stay alive the longest by not only dodging the enemies attacking you and your opponent, but also trying to hit your opponent by capturing an enemy.

And now the final idea, and personally my favorite (but not likely at all): The first game lacked power-ups. No Mushrooms, no Fire Flowers... and we miss them! Why not bring them back using a unique concept: super foods! Now hear me out on this, because it's not as crazy as it might sound.
Why super foods? Of all the things? Well, Mario is already a mushroom addict, so one super food is obviously feet fungus, I mean, mushrooms. But how do super foods work? Each super food has its own boosts, that if Mario eats them, he will get those boosts. For example, by eating a mushroom, you grow in size, just like you do in all the other games. So then the Fire Flower will also return as a super food? Well no. Flowers aren't food. Instead you could use hot peppers as a super food to be able to breathe and throw fire. Here are a few other ideas:
(Water)Melons to be able to spit water at enemies.
Ice Cream to get the abilities of the Ice Flower / Penguin Suit.
Turnips to be able to jump higher and farther.
Berries as health power-ups.
Green beans to throw Cappy farther.
You think I'm nuts? Nuts are also a super food. You can throw them at enemies to stun them.
Being able to find these super foods along the way to give you certain boosts would be a nice additive to the game. Imagine a moon which you can only grab by eating a turnip to jump high enough? Or one in which you need to throw Cappy at an enemy on the other side of a broken bridge, and you must eat a green bean for that? Berries can grow in bushes, turnips and maybe some other crops grow on wet soil, ice cream you can find in colder areas... there are enough possibilities here.
It would be nice if there were shops especially designed to obtain these super foods, like a market kind of place.
Imagine the first kingdom as an introductory kingdom is a Farm Kingdom. Mario falls through the roof of a big barn, and you will learn about super foods.

Snow Kingdom: Seals. Lots of seals. They seal the deal. They should've also picked snowy owls instead of penguins as the birds. Penguins don't even fly.

I think that's the point of making them penguins to begin with to add to the quirkiness. I think the more weird thing is that Snow Kingdom is based off the northern regions (it's called Shiveria) and that penguins are present even though they're southern hemisphere creatures.

The Lake Kingdom should use the hatchetfish for the deeper underwater segments, no exceptions. If you don't know what it looks like I dare you look it up in Google.

Now here are two minigame ideas:
The first is a Tag/Hide and Seek game. It's kind of like the Balloon Minigame, but actually multiplayer. It works like this: Half of the players are seekers, and the other players have some time to hide somewhere or run away from the seekers. You can either choose to try and find a great, clever hiding spot, or run away from the seekers and play a game of catch the rabbit. However, the latter isn't that good of an option, since the seekers will be able to run faster. Otherwise the game would be broken by simply running. So unless your parkour skills are excellent, it's a game of hide-and-seek.
Another game is a Cap-tain Battle. You spawn in a playing area with an opponent and a lot of capturable enemies. The enemies will try to attack you just like your opponent, and the goal is to stay alive the longest by not only dodging the enemies attacking you and your opponent, but also trying to hit your opponent by capturing an enemy.
These aren't bad ideas. The former would likely have to be tag though anyway, as there wouldn't be any way to prove you saw them. I also like the other idea; however, it probably wouldn't be directly focused on Captures.
And now the final idea, and personally my favorite (but not likely at all): The first game lacked power-ups. No Mushrooms, no Fire Flowers... and we miss them! Why not bring them back using a unique concept: super foods! Now hear me out on this, because it's not as crazy as it might sound.
Why super foods? Of all the things? Well, Mario is already a mushroom addict, so one super food is obviously feet fungus, I mean, mushrooms. But how do super foods work? Each super food has its own boosts, that if Mario eats them, he will get those boosts. For example, by eating a mushroom, you grow in size, just like you do in all the other games. So then the Fire Flower will also return as a super food? Well no. Flowers aren't food. Instead you could use hot peppers as a super food to be able to breathe and throw fire. Here are a few other ideas:
(Water)Melons to be able to spit water at enemies.
Ice Cream to get the abilities of the Ice Flower / Penguin Suit.
Turnips to be able to jump higher and farther.
Berries as health power-ups.
Green beans to throw Cappy farther.
You think I'm nuts? Nuts are also a super food. You can throw them at enemies to stun them.
Being able to find these super foods along the way to give you certain boosts would be a nice additive to the game. Imagine a moon which you can only grab by eating a turnip to jump high enough? Or one in which you need to throw Cappy at an enemy on the other side of a broken bridge, and you must eat a green bean for that? Berries can grow in bushes, turnips and maybe some other crops grow on wet soil, ice cream you can find in colder areas... there are enough possibilities here.
It would be nice if there were shops especially designed to obtain these super foods, like a market kind of place.
Imagine the first kingdom as an introductory kingdom is a Farm Kingdom. Mario falls through the roof of a big barn, and you will learn about super foods.

Constructive criticism: while this is a cool idea, it's sort of useless to have a "unique concept" when really it's exactly the same as the original power-up system. It also likely wouldn't happen anyway because they would conflict with the Capture abilities and how they would work. Overall, however, the super food thing is a cool idea. Keep on thinking, and I'm sure you can come up with more great ideas!

Back