Make a Mario Wish

Bowser II

Just like the first one, except better.
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
Bowser II
You found a magic lamp with a genie in it... but the genie is magical Miyamoto! You get three wishes, but they must pertain to the Mario series in some way.

Your options include, but are not limited to:
- making a new game
- changing something about an old game or getting rid of it completely
- making an existing thing canon/non-canon
- making your OC or headcanon a reality
- asking any question about the Marioverse
- getting free Mario games

Anything goes, as long as it's related to Mario! What would you wish into reality for the Marioverse?

Well, I want to work as a modeler for a Mario game! That'll be so cool!

One simple thing

Baby Mario and Baby Luigi to be recurring playable spin-off characters like Daisy, Waluigi, Rosalina, etc.

Well, I want to work as a modeler for a Mario game! That'll be so cool!

It used to be a dream of mine to design Mario Kart courses. I've got different life plans now, but I maintain that working on a Mario Kart game—or any Mario game, for that matter—would be one of the coolest jobs ever.

It's going to be cool, but it's not gonna be easy, in case anyone's wondering. There's a weird stereotype that people that develop for video games is just "easy" and "fun", but no, it's a full-time blood sweating job. Mario Kart courses do look tough to design. Not only you have to design an interesting layout, but you have to create tons of assets to decorate the place, and there's a lot of testing collision and checkpoints.

Return Paper Mario to its former glory
Revive AlphaDream
Get Mario RPG characters into more spinoffs.

-#MakeCrazyGalaxyReal
-Have DKC and WarioWare characters in spin-offs
-Make Paper Mario not suck again I guess

-A new Mario baseball game
-A singleplayer Adventure mode for all future Mario Karts
-All future Paper Mario games will be lighthearted in tone and plot if they choose to have them.

It's going to be cool, but it's not gonna be easy, in case anyone's wondering. There's a weird stereotype that people that develop for video games is just "easy" and "fun", but no, it's a full-time blood sweating job. Mario Kart courses do look tough to design. Not only you have to design an interesting layout, but you have to create tons of assets to decorate the place, and there's a lot of testing collision and checkpoints.

That's kinda why I lost that dream. I'm good at coming up with basic ideas, but never filling in all the necessary details. Kudos to the people who can, because they do a great job.

Are you in/going into the game development field in real life?

- Waluigi to be treated much better than he is now. Unlike most spin-off characters, Waluigi has significant attendance that he appears outside of the spin-off series he's introduced in, which makes him feel more like a main character similar to Wario and Daisy. Unfortunately, he's yet to appear in a Super Mario game, a Mario RPG game and a Wario game (and if you want to go there, a Smash fighter), which are the most notable absences he's had. Heck, if Waluigi stars in his own game that would be awesome! It might not change everyone's minds on him, but appearing in at least one of the series would be a good start at improving his image.

- Mario Party to be referenced more often. Since Mario Party is now squarely a 1st Party spin-off like Mario Kart is (as opposed to Hudson-collaborated), I hope that there are some significant acknowledgements like having a Super Mario platformer level based on a Mario Party board, a Smash Bros. stage based on Mario Party and so on.

- I know this is going to be a controversial thing to say, but if Paper Mario were to go to the next game, then they don't abandon the great things introduced by the newer and less-loved iterations. It would be easy to say that "I don't like this game, so everything in that game must be bad!", but I think there's are great things in the newer games that it would be a shame to see them left behind because of the stigma against those games. Like for example, I like the idea of recruiting any enemy as an ally in the game after defeat, even if the implementation could've been more permanent compared to what Colour Splash did.

Thank you for reading.

That's kinda why I lost that dream. I'm good at coming up with basic ideas, but never filling in all the necessary details. Kudos to the people who can, because they do a great job.

Are you in/going into the game development field in real life?
I'm working as a 3D modeler and I've had a few portfolio bits. My goal is to land an internship that'll help train me and discipline me for the real thing. But yeah, I'm working for that goal myself. If my wish was fulfilled, that I work for Nintendo, I can't wait to... well, remain silent about industry tidbits because contract. I can, however, blab about 3D modeling as I've done in the forums already!

Well, best of luck to you! I hope you land a job with Nintendo someday, even if you can't give us all the insider information.

-Make Mario Party: The Top 100 an actually good game with a good and balanced minigame selection and multiple returning boards from previous Mario Parties. Such a good idea and yet they flubbed it up bad, my wish is to ensure that that idea didn't go to waste.

-That Super Paper Mario never existed. Gonna get a lot of hate for this but it ultimately caused people to expect all the wrong things out of Paper Mario and therefore newer installments get far more hate than they deserve, mostly because they actually decide to be Mario and not whatever SPM was. Not to mention that SPM directly led to the story and character direction of Sticker Star that people complain so much about. SPM was a mistake, and no doubt the worst mistake the series has made; the devs themselves even make it clear that SPM is not a great memory. My wish is that that mistake never occurred.

-My third wish...well, obviously, that AlphaDream never bit the dust!

-That Super Paper Mario never existed. Gonna get a lot of hate for this but it ultimately caused people to expect all the wrong things out of Paper Mario and therefore newer installments get far more hate than they deserve, mostly because they actually decide to be Mario and not whatever SPM was. Not to mention that SPM directly led to the story and character direction of Sticker Star that people complain so much about. SPM was a mistake, and no doubt the worst mistake the series has made; the devs themselves even make it clear that SPM is not a great memory. My wish is that that mistake never occurred.

Not necessarily. Most of the community has always made it clear that we want a true sequel to TTYD ever since 2004. Super Paper Mario alongside Bowser's Inside Story were by far my first Mario RPGs, playing them at around age 8-9 and not playing my third one, TTYD, until age 15 (though I was closer to 16 actually.) At the time I just presumed the former was a spinoff of the main series with papercraft graphics which was why I was so positively suprised by its deep story. I didn't even know about the other PM games (which was at that time the first two plus Sticker Star). This is why I didn't (and still don't) hate the gameplay or any of the other unpopular changes from the first two; I neither wanted nor expected a turn-based battle system and they did an excellent job of the out-of-this world atmosphere and a high-stakes emotional plot, yet also having Mario, Peach, Bowser, and Luigi/Mr. L as the central characters to comfort you with familiar allies and remind you how incredible it is that this is a Mario game.

Now that I know more about the context of the game and the history of the series I can see why opinions on this game are so torn, but I don't think it was really a mistake on its own (though it does have its flaws, I still regard it as an excellent game in its own right both from my "subjective" and my "objective" viewpoints). I just think that it shouldn't have dictated the direction of the series afterwards. Maybe having it as a spinoff of a spinoff or a crossover between PM and the main series would have been better.

I also find it interesting to note that Sticker Star is in many ways the opposite of Super Paper Mario, e.g.:
  • Super Paper Mario is brimming with original characters and enemies, whereas Sticker Star uses almost exclusively unoriginal ones.
  • Super Paper Mario has a deep plot (for a Mario game); Sticker Star has a shallow plot.
  • Super Paper Mario has very easy bosses; Sticker Star's are too much of a difficulty spike.
  • Super Paper Mario doesn't have turn based battles but kept the progressive elements; Sticker Star did the opposite.
  • Super Paper Mario lets you attack whenever you like and doesn't even have FP or SP; Sticker Star gives you only consumable sticker attacks.
  • Super Paper Mario had a very unique otherworldy atmosphere; Sticker Star had a very Mario-typical atmosphere.
Things like this make me wonder if it wasn't Super Paper Mario that ruined the series, but its reaction. E.g. one of the main complaints about SPM was no turn based battles, so the devs thought "OMG SS must have turn based battles" and they just sort of forgot about the other things that count like level ups.

However the reason for Paper Mario changing is a very deep debate which Super Mario T summed up very well in "Why Paper Mario Changed" but all in all I think that to say "Super Paper Mario sent the series to ruin" just because it's the first one which wasn't universally loved or because it was the odd one out (PM64 is similar to TTYD and SS is similar to CS so it's just SPM on its own) is very much an oversimplification and that it's better to think about things in terms of the staff behind the series and the choices they made rather than thinking that particular games caused things to change.

Last edited:
I wonder if the developers were carried away with Super Paper Mario, since I think that its main gameplay has potential. The ability to switch between 2D and 3D to reveal different things is a great concept! This intrigued me when Super Paper Mario (GameCube) showed this. The game's commercial may have gone straight to the point, but I wonder if players might have thought that the focus on story is too unexpected from what the commercials portray. In fact, the Paper Mario commercials focused on the paper aspect instead of the story aspect that fans love, which is why I am fine with Paper Mario focusing on the papery aspect.

Thank you for reading.

"We didn't like Paper Mario because it was Paper Mario, we liked it because it was Mario Story." - Arlo, "Mario and Luigi CAN'T replace Paper Mario", 2016

I know I had a conversation with Mcmadness which eventually decided that the name "Mario Story" isn't actually from the deep plot element, but idc, it very well sums up how a lot of us (including me) feel about the direction the series has taken.

I would only want to go back in time and erase a game entirely if it was so bad that it's a waste of time in itself, which none of the Mario games I've played are. Otherwise it's just a case of other games being prioritised or the context of the game being better set, or how the game is treated in terms of belonging to its series and dictating its movement.

Last edited:
Are you FTG's female counterpart or something because I swear your opinions are practically 1 to 1 of each other.

I think a better wish for it was that I wish Super Paper Mario was actually good and had good gameplay. That way, I can ignore the tripe story. If I wanted a game series with tripe stories that take themselves way too seriously, I'd just go to Sonic for that one.

I think a better wish for it was that I wish Super Paper Mario was actually good and had good gameplay. That way, I can ignore the tripe story. If I wanted a game series with tripe stories that take themselves way too seriously, I'd just go to Sonic for that one.
Good gameplay would make it a better game, yes, but it was also the game that seemed to make the Paper Mario fanbase forget that the word "Mario" is in the series title. Too much has to be fixed about it that I might as well wish it out of existence. Or at the very least, declare it entirely separate from Paper Mario.

Or just replace the Super Paper Mario characters with, you know, Mario characters. Make Luvbi a Fuzzy or something.

Back