What do you feel like is overlooked about your favorite Mario characters

Cell

Perfect
Pronouns
Kie/Mer
A obnoxious part of fandom is that a lot of them focus on one trait and ignore the others
What do you feel like should be focused on?
Personally, I think a lot of people ignore that Birdo is genuinely supportive and friendly, not to mention, she became a flat out better person even in the context of SMBUSA, the only time since then she's been on the villain side since then is due to her being navie due to just being born and being heads over heels till she realized she been duped, Birdo is not a bad guy anymore

I feel like Luigi is not trans but

Mario, Luigi, and Peach are all officially into drag.
Wedding dress Mario, Princess Luigi, & plumber Peach

Last edited:
Pretty much everything about Baby Luigi. The only time he has ridden Yoshi in a game was Yoshi & Touch Go. Yoshi's Island DS introduced this subplot of Baby Luigi hiding away from Kamek while Kamek was looking for babies but it didn't go anywhere and it was pointless. They could have made him done a baby uprising. And finally, he was the ONLY major baby character to NOT ride on Yoshi in that game.

Then, Yoshi's New Island came out, which meant that Baby Luigi had been kidnapped three consecutive times (not counting Touch & Go) in a row. As if that's not enough, the game came out during Year of Luigi, the year where Luigi was supposed to shine and upheave the status quo of Mario being the star yet this didn't happen in New Island for whatever bloody reason.

Finally, he got withheld from attention in favor of Baby Peach in Mario Tennis Open, Mario Kart Arcade GP DX, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. He was shafted to be unlockable in Mario Kart Wii, and not even the easiest ways for many players to unlock him.

Speaking of the two characters, I really wish they were affiliated with Chain Chomps again. Double Dash made them extremely fun to wield one. Same with Partners in Time. After Mario Super Sluggers (with their beware of Chain Chomp video combination when you combined a Baby Mario and Baby Luigi card), it just tapers off.

I just want those two playable in Mario Party damn it.

Waluigi's worthlessness, fabolousness and dancing abilities are hilarious traits and good enough to distinguish him from Wario or from being an evil Luigi clone who screams wah.

Mario's other past jobs are criminally underlooked and they would make for some potentially awesome games.

Ashley gets criticized for some for being too "boring" and a "stick in the mud" compared to the rest of the WarioWare cast, but I think WW Gold gives her a really good moment that prove sshe fits just right in.

In the cutscene for the Potluck stage, Ashley brings a very not-tasty looking mandrake root to the potluck and Red freaks out, saying its scream can kill everyone, etc. This is already funny on the surface - she's so displeased by having to go there she sees no problem with trying to kill everyone. Fits with her angry loner persona right?

However, my perception changed when I unlocked the character cards and found that Ashley is a foodie piece of shit (which was already hinted by her microgame theme in DIY, I guess) and not only that, she legitimately loves to nom nom on fried mandrakes. This nicely spins the potluck stage from "ashley doesn't care about killing everyone else" to "ashley has such terrible and hyper-specific tastes in foods her favourite meal is something that can easily kill her and she too much of a social spazz to understand why anyone else would find that weird and disgusting".

tl:dr Ashley is as much of a weird dork as everyone else in WW, she's just too proud to show it.

yo, there's no call for just shutting down someone else's post in this thread

e: the post this was replying to has been deleted by the author but i'm leaving it up as a general "let's be positive and not negative" reminder

Last edited:
Ashley gets criticized for some for being too "boring" and a "stick in the mud" compared to the rest of the WarioWare cast
I think that's just a odd criticism to begin with. I don't find it too uncommon that a normally motley cartoon crew has that one emo (for a lack of a better word) Totally Serious character which adds to the comedy for being so different and over-the-top rather than detracts from it. Maybe the personality doesn't click, but I'd disagree on the "stick in the mud" part.

She keeps a red devil thing whose arm is conjoined with the spear it carries, for crying out loud.

Nope. Mario Golf World Tour and M&S Rio 2016 Olympics.

I feel like many games often overlook that Bowser has magic powers. They could make better use of that to make more interesting boss fights.
Yeah, like they said he used dark magic to turn the citizens into inanimate objects in the original Super Mario Bros., can use it to teleport away in Super Mario Galaxy, and uses some magic for his Magikoopa Mob attack in Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. And probably a few other things I'm forgetting at the moment. Maybe brute force is more his style for combat, but it'd be nice to see Bowser throw some dark magic into the mix to really shake things up!

I feel a lot of people take Mario's goofy side of his personality (and/or his love for pasta) and exaggerate it too much on stuff like fan animations and what not. It's like, yeah, he's a goofball sometimes, but he's not an idiot! It's basically flanderization, and that's a concept I dislike being done to any character...!

I'm not a fan of how Super Mario Glitchy 4 does Mario if that's what you're thinking. While I think Mario should always have fun and is cheerful, I think he's better as a leader who tries hard to maintain order and keep Luigi in check. He's the reason the Rabbids in Mario + Rabbids are more tolerable since there's a saner person to play off. I mean he doesn't have to be very smart even, as he has a gullible side, but he should at least be smart to know what's going on. After all, he has defeated Bowser by using Bowser's elements against him.

As for Bowser, I just don't see magic and Bowser going well together as much as magic and Bowser Jr.. Bowser would try to brute force things with maybe a whiff of trickery and subversion but I still think Bowser Jr. excels at being underhanded which I associate with magic. After all, the Koopalings use magic themselves.

As for Bowser, I just don't see magic and Bowser going well together as much as magic and Bowser Jr.. Bowser would try to brute force things with maybe a whiff of trickery and subversion but I still think Bowser Jr. excels at being underhanded which I associate with magic. After all, the Koopalings use magic themselves.

Bowser Jr. seems to be more interested in technology and robots than magic. My headcanon is that Kamek tried to teach Jr. how to use magic, but he lost interest because it wasn't as exciting as fighting with a robot.

I'm not a fan of how Super Mario Glitchy 4 does Mario if that's what you're thinking. While I think Mario should always have fun and is cheerful, I think he's better as a leader who tries hard to maintain order and keep Luigi in check. He's the reason the Rabbids in Mario + Rabbids are more tolerable since there's a saner person to play off. I mean he doesn't have to be very smart even, as he has a gullible side, but he should at least be smart to know what's going on. After all, he has defeated Bowser by using Bowser's elements against him.

Same; like if it were me and I was making all the characters goofy-as-hell, I'd at least want my main character (in this case, Mario) to be the rational one. It all has to do with the "straight man/funny man" dynamic; when you have a character that will properly react to the goofiness or idiocy of the other, I feel it's funnier that way because it highlights just how strange the funny man is acting while giving the audience a more relatable viewpoint to go by. If all the characters act stupid, the whole thing just comes off that way.

As for the thing regarding Bowser and magic, I can understand that.

but it'd be nice to see Bowser throw some dark magic into the mix to really shake things up!
dark throw bowser - Edited.png

Too literal? :yoshi:
I feel a lot of people take Mario's goofy side of his personality (and/or his love for pasta) and exaggerate it too much on stuff ... It's basically flanderization, and that's a concept I dislike being done to any character...!
luigi uhoh.png

Luigi voice: Uh-oh :toad:
Bowser Jr. seems to be more interested in technology and robots than magic. My headcanon is that Kamek tried to teach Jr. how to use magic, but he lost interest because it wasn't as exciting as fighting with a robot.
F.L.U.D.D voice: Bowser Junior- A total weeb, into mecha, a naruto runner, and a great cosplayer.

Back