Nintendo Switch Online

They eventually stopped doing it because they realized that people like me were abusing it to get multiple free trials and not paying for NSO.

That's the best way to stick it to Nintendo, they don't deserve your 20 bucks.

Piracy isn't a good counterpoint.

Because going by that logic why buy anything ever when you can just steal it?

The other points are whatever but piracy should NEVER be a counterpoint for not buying something.
Like, I meant you download the emulator and get a copy of the game (or get a legal ROM, those actually exist)

I agree, piracy shouldn't be your alternative.

Not if you're blowing those 20 bucks up Nintendo's ass for basically nothing in return though. Nintendo online connections are peer-to-peer. You're paying for the privilege of the Switch leeching off of your home internet connection, which you are already paying for to your provider. The Switch could just do this without the subscription, but Nintendo arbitrarily gates that functionality off until you shill out the money. The minimal burden on their matchmaking servers is not worth 20 bucks per customer per year.

You may think "but there are the NES/SNES games", but those aren't part of the actual purchase. That feature is pushed on you even if you just want to play Mario Kart with your friends or something. Also, you lose access to them once you stop paying, so they're more like shitty rentals.

There's really nothing amazing about it. We're just so used to every other game company treating customers even worse that we're conditioned to see Nintendo's exploitative nonsense as "not so bad". When EA steps on our feet with high heels, we are grateful Nintendo is at least wearing gym shoes. For now.

If I am purchasing an online service, my needs are to have an online service. If Nintendo wishes to offer limited access to old games, they can just sell that separately and everyone could get exactly what they want and pay for nothing more.

When I order a pizza, I don't want to also get a glass filled with live ants and be expected to pay for both. Maybe some people like ants. That's fine. But I don't have any use for them. Keep unrelated purchases separate so pizza people can buy pizza and ant people can buy ants.

I don't think anyone was arguing Nintendo was morally in the wrong for not releasing IPs; it's true they don't owe players anything.
But wouldn't it be great if they did actually owe us something for once.

Reactions: zel
The other points are whatever but piracy should NEVER be a counterpoint for not buying something.

True. At least, in places where the average person can afford an entertainment system and multiple games for it.

Regardless, what about when the owner hinders access to some of their products?

I love to have authorised copies of the games I want to play but at the moment Nintendo hasn't offered me much on that front with GameCube games. Shit yeah I'mma pirate that bitch.

Yeah that's basically my view when it comes to downloading ROMs/ISOs of old games tbh.

If the game is still being sold on modern storefronts and the current rightsholder(s) to the game will get money off your purchase, sure, I'll buy the game legit.

But if it's some game that's never been rereleased and the only way to buy a copy of the game now is to buy a used copy, I'll just pirate it. What's the real difference, the rightsholder(s)/devs won't be seeing any of my money either way.

Me, it's more on convenience.

Inconvenient to buy and play? Pirate.
Inconvenient to pirate and play? Buy.

Certainly not worth susbcribing to NSO for crap rentals and ultra crappy Smash online when I have direct downloads readily available as well as better Smash online alternatives.

Just a random thought I had. There are rumors of Game Boy and Game Boy Color games coming to NSO. Obviously I'm not getting my hopes up for this. I doubt that Nintendo would add 2 platforms to NSO at once. And even if they did, they would still omit popular games from the service, and instead port games that no one has ever heard of.

But what if the GB and GBC games were limited releases? Like, you only had a small window to buy NSO and enjoy those games? I bet that's something Nintendo is thinking about right now.

So for the first year, online was free with the knowledge that it would eventually become a paid service.

The second year and on, it's basically 20$ a year to play online, and it is required if you want to play NES and SNES games. It's cheap, that's the only "good" thing about it.

Now, it's 50$ a year, if you want those N64 and Genesis games. (And most of the genesis games were already available on other compilation packs recently).

The hell? I was expecting it to be increased to 30$ at most. No wonder they didn't announce the plan last month.

No reason to get outraged, because Nintendo's long history of overpricing their products has shown that 75% of the console's userbase will lap up this "offer" regardless of how many complaints are voiced.

At this point arguing against Nintendo's practices is a waste of energy that's worth channeling into much more productive endeavours. Like emulating.

$50 + tax for the expansion pack? I don't see myself having it for more than a year, but you do have to wonder what the discount price will be for those who already have a Nintendo Switch Online membership.

I just don't get the expansion. Are you renting the Animal Crossing DLC for a year or do you get to keep it? I was a bit disappointed to see the creation of an expansion pack for NSO, but the fact that the N64 and Mega Drive games can only be accessed with the Animal Crossing DLC is quite baffling

Given the steeper asking price for the Expansion, I have to presume that the service will eventually have more features down the line, ever since one just happened (when it was announced, only the N64 and Genesis games were included). I kind of dread that Splatoon 3 would go down this route, where the expansion will have some features that you can only get in the expansion.

Either way, the new expansion plan does not have much of interest, since I don't even have Animal Crossing to take advantage of it, despite it having Nintendo 64 games.

Thank you for reading.

Back