Yoshi's Story

Donkey Kong 64

Diddy Kong Racing

Star Fox 64

Mario Tennis

Mario Kart 64

Last edited:
Get Mario 64, Kirby 64, and Paper Mario oh wait you already have those games

I haven't personally played much of these at all but I've heard they're good and/or played games like them so here goes:

Mario Party 3 - Often considered the best N64 Mario Party from what I've seen. There's also a solo story mode here even if you probably won't spend too much time on it. If you liked the second game, you'll like the third one as well. You might also want to play Mario Party 1 for purpose of experiencing the classics, but from what I've heard it's easily the worst N64 Mario Party, has a lot of content carried over to MP2, and gives you some rather annoying palm blisters, so I'm not sure I can recommend it otherwise.

Zelda: Ocarina of Time - It's listed as the best game of all time on Metacritic so that might be a good sign you should play it, unless you've already played the 3DS remake. I should really get around to trying this game sometime.

Zelda: Majora's Mask - And you should probably get around to trying this one too, unless you've already played the 3DS remake. From what I've heard it's just as good, if not better than, Ocarina of Time.

Banjo-Kazooie - I see you already have the sequel and the original is also well-liked from what I've heard, so if you liked the sequel you should probably pick this one up as well.

Yoshi's Story - While a bit shorter than most Adventures of Yoshi games and with very different gameplay, it's still worth a try. It gives you a rather unique Yoshi taste, and possibly contains a heavier emphasis on exploration than the other games in the series.

Last edited:
I would recommend Mario Party 1 and Mario Party 3 because the N64 Mario Parties were all pretty good. Maybe you should get Yoshi's Story as well.

I wouldn't recommend getting Mario Kart 64, it's one of the worst Mario Kart games.

You can try Yoshi's Story I guess, the gameplay is fine, but it ends waaaaay too soon for me to get any enjoyment out of it. If you like Yoshi games and short games, this is for you.
Personally I'd recommend Zelda: Majora's Mask more than Ocarina of Time, the sequel is superior imo.

If you like Tooie then definitely go for the original Banjo-Kazooie. While I slightly prefer the sequel both are great games in their own right and there's a fair chance you might like the original more even if you're not huge on Tooie. Donkey Kong 64 may also be worth checking out if you want another collectathon platformer, but I personally don't think it's better than literally any of the Country games.'

As far as racing games go I agree that Mario Kart 64 is one of the weakest games in the series, and would only recommend it if you really want to try every game out. I would recommend Diddy Kong Racing, it's held up better in my opinion. I'm also fond of F-Zero X if you want something more futuristic.

If you want another Party game I'd say go for 3 first. I think it's one of the better MP games and probably the best Mario game for the 64 you don't have yet. 1 is ok, but yeah of the three 64 titles it's the worst by a wide margin. If you want more Mario spinoffs Tennis, Golf, and Dr. Mario 64 all exist, though none are big highlights for me. Tennis is probably my favorite of the three.

Yoshi's Story is a fun little platformer though a bit on the easy side. Both Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are worth looking into if you're interested in the Legend of Zelda. I like Ocarina of Time more but a lot of people prefer Majora's Mask so it's probably best to check out both and form your own opinion. Also Star Fox 64 in my opinion is the franchise's best game so if you're interested in that series I'd suggest looking at it too.

Going to throw in a couple of third parties, if you like Gex 64 you'll probably like Gex 3 as well. Rayman 2: The Great Escape is another really solid 3D platformer.

I could probably throw others out there but that's a good start.

Diddy Kong Racing is my favorite kart racer on the N64 but I also love Beetle Adventure Racing a bunch and it has amazing track design. It plays like a more realistic racing game, but it has quite a bit of wacky environments such as racing in a haunted woods, in a volcano, and in a ski resort. It does have only a few racing tracks in the game but all tracks are large, very detailed, and filled with all sorts of shortcuts.

Mario Party 3 is great and I say go for that one as well. Has a nice little duel mode as well.

Skip Mario Kart 64 entirely because Diddy Kong Racing is a far superior game.

Both Zelda games are great and you should play them.

I think Rayman 2 is on N64 and if it is I think you should get it.

Donkey Kong 64 aged very badly and I wouldn't recommend it.

You should also get Ready 2 Rumble Boxing and Ready 2 Rumble Round 2 (even though these are better on Dreamcast or even PS2 in the case of Round 2).

Round 2 is the best because of Michael Jackson being in it.

The games to avoid are Castlevania 64 and Legacy of Darkness as both Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness are the better 3D Castlevanias than the two N64 Castlevanias.

I might as well also suggest International Superstar Soccer since it is like Winning Eleven/Pro Evolution Soccer.

I'll also suggest the Star Wars games like Rogue Squadron and the Pod Racing game.

Smash 64 is also good as well I guess.

All of Rare's games are awesome so just go for it.

The third party support on N64 is not as vast and is quite limited when compared to the PlayStation and Saturn so there's not much to suggest in terms of third party.

if you have the expansion pack get DK64.

I highly recommend Mario Tennis 64 and Mario Party 3, (you can skip 1, i have it for nostalgia reasons but its not the best n64 entry lol)

i loved a game named Mystical Ninja, is a japanese game with a giant robot like the power rangers and you play as 4 different characters, and theres an english version of this game obviously.

Another i liked being a sorta creepy game is named Hexen, in which you play as a Knight, warrior or Wizard and kill monsters in a dark world.

Another one is Castlevania 64, its quite an adventure.

Another one is Castlevania 64, its quite an adventure.
Castlevania 64 and Legacy of Darkness are both horrible games. Lament of Innocence and Curse of Darkness are a million times better. They were at least enjoyable games and were handled correctly and controlled better.

Banjo Kazooie
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong 64 (requires Expansion Pak. Usually comes with one)
Goldeneye 007
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (do not make this your first entry in the series because it can be very frustrating at points especially if you haven't played Zelda before. Also requires Expansion Pak)
Mario Kart 64 (this game is great the people in this thread are wrong)
Mario Party 3
Perfect Dark (requires Expansion Pak)
Pokemon Puzzle League
Pokemon Snap
Pokemon Stadium (way better with the GB games and Transfer Pak)
Pokemon Stadium 2 (same as above)
Rayman 2: The Great Escape
Road Rash (requires Controller Pak for saving)
Star Fox 64 / Lylat Wars
Yoshi Story

Last edited:
Mischief Makers and Buck Bumble since they haven't been mentioned yet.

Space Station Silicon Valley is a really great, lesser-known puzzle game made by the studio which would later become Rockstar North.

Zelda: Ocarina of Time - It's listed as the best game of all time on Metacritic so that might be a good sign you should play it, unless you've already played the 3DS remake. I should really get around to trying this game sometime.
I haven't finished this yet but tbh I find it kind of overrated. Like it's interesting and I like it and I'll defintely finish it but I definitely like it less than the Mario RPGs I've played.

As for Majora's Mask I had one go and it was interesting as well but I couldn't figure out what to do so I lost after about an hour when the three days had passed. It was really confusing with different people asking me to do different things that all seemed impossible like looking for something I couldn't find. That's the same kind of problem I had with Super Mario 64 at times: I don't like just continuously searching for things as a challenge, I want to know what I'm doing and for that to be interesting. I intend to have another go at some point but right now I'm doing other things in my gaming life.

I haven't played Mario Party 1 or 3 myself but they're apparently good so I'd buy them if it were me. But I have no N64 :(

If you got the resources, I'd try out Hey You Pikachu.
And, Dr. Mario 64 too, It's got a silly story mode.
Everything else I would have recommended has already been said.

I haven't finished this yet but tbh I find it kind of overrated. Like it's interesting and I like it and I'll defintely finish it but I definitely like it less than the Mario RPGs I've played.

As for Majora's Mask I had one go and it was interesting as well but I couldn't figure out what to do so I lost after about an hour when the three days had passed. It was really confusing with different people asking me to do different things that all seemed impossible like looking for something I couldn't find. That's the same kind of problem I had with Super Mario 64 at times: I don't like just continuously searching for things as a challenge, I want to know what I'm doing and for that to be interesting. I intend to have another go at some point but right now I'm doing other things in my gaming life.

I haven't played Mario Party 1 or 3 myself but they're apparently good so I'd buy them if it were me. But I have no N64 :(

How far did you get in Majora's Mask? Once you get the Ocarina the fairies tell you the four areas and the order to do them in. You go to the swamp first. One of the main appeals of MM is the sidequests because the clock and timeloop allowed the NPC's to have very specific routines and interactions. The sidequests are all optional, and you can just do them whenever you want. If you haven't, pop the Bomber's balloon and change to human Link before talking to the kid. If you find them all as a human, they'll give you a notebook which tracks NPC sidequests.

How far did you get in Majora's Mask?
Very much not far at all.

I mean I get that it's going to get better which is why I'll give it another shot, but it didn't give me a good first impression.

MM is brutal the first time around. Moreso if you haven't played much Zelda before it.

Back