A Mario game without the other 5 main characters and Koopa Troop?

The big problem I feel is that they would invent a bunch of new characters for this game where old characters could fit their roles just as well.

And then those new characters would proceed to be forgotten forever, just like the other ones.

those rabbits could have been easily replaced by the koopalings really

Ah, I think I misread the topic then... My mistake...^^; Well, in that case, sure. I'd be up for it! Then again, I'm always up for a new Mario game no matter what.

I honestly think the Broodals shouldn't exist. It would have been fine to see the Koopalings fill that role. I don't see why they couldn't have. The Broodals add almost nothing to the game.

I just thought of this: there is already a series of games where it's basically Mario, and that's Dr. Mario. In fact, the series for the longest time only contained Mario himself, and doesn't have the usual cast. In fact, Dr. Mario Miracle Cure is the first game to have a character other than Mario himself (in that case, Luigi). Peach didn't count because her presence was confined to outside material and she never appear in-game.

However for the purpose of this thread, we are talking about a new type of game, like an adventure or an RPG.

Thank you for reading.

An RPG would honestly be amazing, but I would feel that it didn't feel Mario-y enough, kind of like the SPM problem.

Revenant Archagent said:
An RPG would honestly be amazing, but I would feel that it didn't feel Mario-y enough, kind of like the SPM problem.

SMRPG was kinda this, and it worked out okay. Just take out the Mushroom Kingdom area and replace Bowser and Peach with different people and you've basically got what this thread calls for.

Revenant Archagent said:
I honestly think the Broodals shouldn't exist. It would have been fine to see the Koopalings fill that role. I don't see why they couldn't have. The Broodals add almost nothing to the game.
Functionally that can be an opinion, just like Nabbit's role pretty much could had been for Waluigi.

But I wouldn't reject new characters since a franchise needs to open room for more possibility, and new characters are part of that.

New characters aren't going to be substitutes for creativity. If you have existing characters that already fulfill roles you make for new characters, then either change those roles or use the old characters. New characters are prone to being "Mary Sue" and being probably even more uncreative than it was.

They are as much "Mario" as anything else in a series that doesn't really have any continuity.

Revenant Archagent said:
But he's not, he's clearly a separate entity that happens to resemble Mario and be named Mario.
It is a clear and established fact that Paper Mario is the Mario from the PM series.

Either that or PiT Baby Mario qualifies as a different character.

?

I don't think so...

The Baby Mario in M&LPiT had more references to him being the same one from SMW2YI, you even went to Yoshi's Island!

The Paper Mario from M&LPJ has no references to the other Paper Mario games whatsoever, and is implied to be a separate character from Mario

Revenant Archagent said:
?

I don't think so...

The Baby Mario in M&LPiT had more references to him being the same one from SMW2YI, you even went to Yoshi's Island!

The Paper Mario from M&LPJ has no references to the other Paper Mario games whatsoever, and is implied to be a separate character from Mario
Uh, no. Feast your eyes on Paper Jam's eShop description:

Characters from the Paper Mario universe – including Paper Mario, Princess Peach, Bowser and Toad – jump out of a book and into the world of Mario & Luigi...

Besides, in-game, they were never implied in the slightest to be different. If anything, it implied that they were the same. And the eShop description outright states it.

Is the eshop description canon?

And they could just mean the Paper Mario universe in M&LPJ, not the one from the other Paper Mario games

Revenant Archagent said:
Is the eshop description canon?

And they could just mean the Paper Mario universe in M&LPJ, not the one from the other Paper Mario games
It's official material, so yes. That's the only idea of canon that Mario has.

That's stretching the meaning of the sentence to the extent that it's far easier to believe it means what it says. You seem rather desperate to keep the Paper Mario universe from being separate from the Mario universe, even though it canonically is.

Because up until M&LPJ, they were the same universe and there was no reason to assume they were different. The only game where there is a discrepancy is still M&LPJ, so why would that apply to the other games? Paper Mario is just a stylistic choice, not literally a paper pocket dimension in the other games.

Revenant Archagent said:
Because up until M&LPJ, they were the same universe and there was no reason to assume they were different. The only game where there is a discrepancy is still M&LPJ, so why would that apply to the other games? Paper Mario is just a stylistic choice, not literally a paper pocket dimension in the other games.
The Paper Mario characters are self-aware that they are paper, and many mechanics in the games rely on the universe being paper. Especially the latest three. I daresay that they've been trying to separate the Paper Mario universe from the main one since SPM.

I for one like the universes being split. Let the Paper Mario universe be its own thing.

Back