Mario & Sonic at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games

It's still a problem that half the roster makes me want to punch the daylights out of them.

yeah screw sonic and his lame friends

eggman is cool though

Gum and Uvula and Pudding can get slam dunked on their heads for all I care.

It would be amazing if Mario characters got that opportunity to shove sky tigers up their asses.

Princess Mario said:
Gum and Uvula and Pudding can get slam dunked on their heads for all I care.

It would be amazing if Mario and Baby Luigi got that opportunity to shove sky tigers up their asses.

ftfy

Princess Mario said:
I got to play as Blowfish-spewing AGES and I'm still salty as hell about the dumb Sonic fuckers in the latest game
Why SEGA keeps on pushing Sonic Lost World, a game that no-one cares about and no-one likes, and its boring main villain is beyond me.

yeah the deadly six is super lame, they're just a brightly color-coded group containing nothing but token characters. especially zavok. they keep bringing him back for some inexplicable reason.

Leo Luster said:
Princess Mario said:
I got to play as Blowfish-spewing AGES and I'm still salty as hell about the dumb Sonic fuckers in the latest game
Why SEGA keeps on pushing Sonic Lost World, a game that no-one cares about and no-one likes, and its boring main villain is beyond me.

Sonic Lost World wasn't really a bad game per se though. (The Wii U/Steam version anyway. Can't say the same about 3DS however)

Not going to say it was anything amazing. But it was relatively decent enough on it's own merits. Just it was too much of a departure from the boost formula that was really popular at the time plus there was alot of ways the game kind of tried to "Mario-fy" Sonic a little too much. From similar level progression like the NSMB series down to going faster with a run button and the Deadly Six basically being Sonic's own Koopalings. All it'd need was a kidnapped Princess and it would of basically been a near 100% Mario-like Sonic game. And I understand how that can receive many mixed reactions since a lot of the reason people play Sonic is to get a platformer that's a little more exciting if a bit varying in quality from your average Mario game.

MarioKartGamerDude said:
HD gameplay!

https://youtu.be/6rdBayuDSq4

I really like how the characters get tired when they have completed the 100m stretch. It seems to only affect those that are 4th or lower, so in that video, Eggman for example looked tired after running.

Thank you for reading.

Something that was shown about this game is Eggman's feet.
D80WveFXkAc-vgg.jpg

This is considered unusual for Sonic mainly because most of the characters are animals, but they also wear shoes. The few times that an official artwork for Sonic characters were revealed, the characters had no toes (except in cases of a sandal that separates the big toe). Eggman is probably the only character who can be shown with anatomically correct feet (as in, has individual toes), such as in Sonic X:
D81eikmXoAEVjj4.jpg

As somebody from a place where shoes (and socks) are removed in the house, it's amusing to hear that showing feet is considered salacious. I am used to the sight of feet that it didn't strike to me as naked.

Thank you for reading.

Nintendo Everything has recently translated an interview for this game from a while ago, and it does confirm some things. For one, the same amount of characters will be around, which likely means that the main 20 will be around plus a Guest character (the same as Rio 2016 for Wii U). The developers indicated that the fact that each character dressed up based on the event increases the appeal of the current characters. Another is that the developers sound pretty proud of what they did with karate.

Source: Nintendo Everything

Are there more characters this time around?
There's the same amount, but each character will wear the appropriate sporting dress for each event. For example, in the Karate I mentioned earlier Mario competes wearing a padded undershirt. As part of the appeal of the game is the characters themselves, we've added bits like this that I think can increase the appeal of each one.

In previous entries in the series story modes have been included. Is one included here? If so, please tell us a bit about it.
All I can say is that we intend to include something to represent that moment of making an appearance at the Tokyo games. I know there were some players who saw the E3 trailer and asked those same questions, but all I can say is for them to keep their eyes peeled for more details. I think this will be a package with quite a lot of depth.

Which new event do you really think you have portrayed well?
That would be karate. Real Olympic karate is broken up into sections, and for a newcomer to the sport it can be a little hard to understand. In the game we have our own specific rules, but I think the feeling of Karate is still there; I think we have managed to capture the real charm of it. Each successful strike earns a point and to stop the fights becoming dull we have gone with the three deadlock system of: strike, grab and guard. The player must read their opponents movements and wait for an opening to attack.
Aside from that, I think skateboarding turned out really well. I'm not someone who usually skateboards – well, actually I don't do karate either (laughs) – but I feel like those who do will be able to pick it up quickly and have a lot of fun.

Also, it has came to my attention that GameXplain has done a character selection screen to see how the characters dressed. Note that 15 characters only get dressed: all of Sonic's except Metal Sonic, plus the human characters from the Mario series.

Thank you for reading.

SEGA stated we will have the same amount of characters, but they didn't say anything about the new characters we got in Rio 2016, so what does this mean for them?

Will they be guests once more or will they be unlockable in the game?

Somehow the DK one look like it could be used for Punch Out!! (Wii)

ECat_G0UYAIjg8F.png

The website is up now, and every character that isn't Bowser Jr. has new artwork.
I don't know how often Bowser Jr. gets the shaft like how he's omitted from Mario Kart 8 (Wii U), but it sure feels like Bowser Jr. got the shaft again.

Thank you for reading.

We've seen Wario and Eggman (and earlier Mario and Luigi) in their swimsuits, but we're yet to see Waluigi in his. It's amusing that even in their swimsuits, they still wear their headgear and their gloves. What's up with that?
wum4b1X.jpg

Thank you for reading.

We've seen Wario and Eggman (and earlier Mario and Luigi) in their swimsuits, but we're yet to see Waluigi in his. It's amusing that even in their swimsuits, they still wear their headgear and their gloves. What's up with that?

It's a Mario game. For some reason everyone never removes their hats in those games.

but Eggman could probably use these goggles while swimming!

Anyway, this game looks incredible, and I'm really looking forward to it!

I'm trying to keep my expectations in check but maybe they've finally made a game worth a crap in this series.

Something I found on the Japanese eShop page is that the game supports up to 8 players (2 - 8 players) when playing online. I believe this was confirmed earlier, so I am reiterating that this game somehow has online play. Who knows how active the online is, but I imagine it would be a good casual online experience.

Is the release date later this year or is it next year?
Later this year. The Japanese trailer even listed its release date as 1 November 2019. As for other territories, it gets released not long later.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
Back