Should Super Mario 64 get remade on the Switch?

Teedgee

wheres the bathroom
Pronouns
He/Him
MarioWiki
Toadgamer
1996: Super Mario 64 came out and revolutionised the gaming industry with its 3D.
2004: The legendary Super Mario 64 got remade with a few additions on the DS.

Since I was born in the 2000's, I wasn't around during the N64 era. Which means I don't own one. I always wanted to at least give Super Mario 64 a try. And so I think it'll be amazing if it gets "remade".

Now why did I say that word in quotations? Well, I would really want the game to be on the Switch, but just like Final Fantasy XII, I would love it if it keeped the N64 graphics and everything, and with a few additions, like Mario 64 DS elements or Mario Odyssey stuff. The thing is, I wouldn't be as happy if it got remade with brand new graphics and that stuff. I really wanna try the N64 game how it was back in the day.

Whaddaya think?

I just want a graphical overhaul with smoother controls. Don't know how I would feel if they brought back the Cap mechanic, but I wouldn't be against it. Maybe they can even add Waluigi :waluigi:

Mario 64 can be downloaded through the Wii and Wii U's Virtual Console. I also find the actual cartridge show up in second-hand stores sometimes.

It already got remade on the DS, and I feel the other Mario 3D platformers like Sunshine should be remade first.

Also, it's not going to keep the N64 graphics as it is, especially for a remaster, as it would be pointless to remake a game without taking advantage of better hardware; you are trying to resell an old game at full price anyway. What you want more is a virtual console system that emulates Super Mario 64 on the Switch than a new remake entirely.

just release a comprehensive virtual console you corporate fucks

super mario 64 was already perfect. it would be cool if they did something like what people want them to do with melee and upgraded the graphics but made it otherwise a frame perfect port. however if they replace blue thwomps with grey spikey thwomps i would be upset

also this
Shygul said:
sunshine first

Baby Luigi said:
Also, it's not going to keep the N64 graphics as it is, especially for a remaster, as it would be pointless to remake a game without taking advantage of better hardware; you are trying to resell an old game at full price anyway. What you want more is a virtual console system that emulates Super Mario 64 on the Switch than a new remake entirely.

Although, an HD remaster of the N64 graphics would be an interesting look, imo. Like, keep the blocky look, just make everything clearer. Like the 64 Suit from Odyssey.

I say, we have a Super Mario 3D All-Stars instead which has 64 (based on the DS version), Sunshine, the Galaxy games and 3D Land, while 3D World Deluxe can be included in the collection. That would be more worthwhile. I mean, some of these games like Sunshine and especially the Galaxies can be enhanced with HD visuals and some extra content added on to them, 3D Land can include Peach mode after you beat the game and it would be worthwhile as well. 3D World Deluxe can have Daisy and a new world added into it.

Super Mario 64 has already gotten a fantastic DS remake, and since you plan on getting a 3DS soon, you'll probably want to look into that.

Shygul said:
sunshine first
I second this. Why remake 64 for Switch, with its DS remake and both its VC releases, while its sequel has yet to get a rerelease of any kind? Fun fact: Mario Sunshine is the only mainline Mario game that has yet to receive a permanent digital release.

I second the Super Mario 3D All Stars idea. Imagine having Super Mario 64 (Included with the additions and extra content introduced in 64DS), Sunshine, the Galaxy Duo and the the 3D duo all on one cartridge with a updated HD visual style on par with Odyssey. They could also add some new features and content like Splatoon-esque gyro controls for FLUDD and playable Luigi in Sunshine and maybe Daisy in 3D World for example.

Of course I know this is mostly just wishful thinking and my unrealistic expectations, but still it would be cool.
--

Sunshine HD would also be cool too.

No chance of an HD SM64 unless it's in a collection, which I would love (as Pwwnd and Nano have mentioned).
And yeah, Sunshine HD first. Especially now since my Sunshine disc is dead.

I also like the idea of 3D All Stars as it would be nice to have a collection of all 3D Marios. However, Galaxy is kinda worrying me, as the Switch doesn't have a sensor bar so you can't pick up Star Bits in the distance or shoot those things like you could on the Wii.

Let's just hope it'll be possible.

I know the idea of a Galaxy HD graphics is nice but why do we need some remake? I don't recall the game being heavily flawed in gameplay like Sunshine or horribly aged like Super Mario 64. Yeah, the game's pretty rough looking today, but we should be weighing our gains between full price remake and intact port.

And there's the thing with Galaxy 2. That game should probably be bundled with Galaxy 1 it is so similar to Galaxy 1. I feel that if they're going do Galaxy rereleases, they're probably going to go with just graphical remasters with both Galaxies and little else, and I find it hard to justify when the Switch is operating on a huge liability for a lack of a virtual console.

I'm down for a Mario 3D collection. We got a 2D collection in 2010, after all. Though, yeah, the 3D games require a lot more space than the SNES games, but I don't think it's impossible if it's just 64 through Galaxy 2 (3D World might be too big to include).

Alex95 said:
I'm down for a Mario 3D collection. We got a 2D collection in 2010, after all. Though, yeah, the 3D games require a lot more space than the SNES games, but I don't think it's impossible if it's just 64 through Galaxy 2 (3D World might be too big to include).
They can have 3D Land instead, its doable so it can be from 64 to 3D Land. 3D World can just get a Deluxe version on Switch.

Plus, 3D land doesn't really use the 3DS' features such as touchscreen and the second screen, sooooo.......

And about SM3DW, we also have Mario Maker 2 on the way, and it surely took ablot if features from that game so far, and there's still more. Maybe that confirms that we won't get 3D world DX. I could be wrong tho.

As others have mentioned, Super Mario Sunshine benefits a lot from a remake as it's a game that benefits from it the most. It's pretty amazing that Mario controls very fluidly, and the FLUDD added a lot to the fun that Gushen (the octopus with a water barrier) couldn't provide. Super Mario 64 had its day back during Nintendo DS (though it amazed me that it had one 8 years after the original). Some small benefits like keeping track of all Blue Coins collected would be welcomed, so that it's easier to figure out what coins are missed.

Thank you for reading.

An HD remaster of both 64 and Sunshine would be neat. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ They can use machine learning to upscale the textures.

Back