Your pet peeves in the Mario series

Koopa con Carne

call me Hot Lips, 'cause i'm a one-shot wonder
MarioWiki
Koopa con Carne
Mario's world isn't necessarily built to make sense, and sometimes the lack of logic can easily skip over the barriers of common sense. This thread is for discussing little, absolutely unimportant things in the Mario series that aggravate you for some reason or another.

I'll start with two:

1. Why is it called Dinosaur Land if it's barely characterised by dinosaurs? The only dinosaur inhabitants--Yoshis, Rexes, Dino Rhinos and Blarggs--are few and far between. (Reminder that Dino Rhinos only appear in a single level.) The levels of Super Mario World aren't really concerned with letting you know you're in a land supposedly run by prehistoric reptiles, and instead you find a lot of contemporary elements such as moles, fish, caterpillars, and turtles. Though you could also make the argument that those caterpillars (Wigglers) are rather big, reminiscing of early geologic periods when the Earth was roamed by gigantic insects. Though that still doesn't have anything to do with dinosaurs.

Similarly, most of the lesser regions of Dinosaur Land are named after food, even though their actual environments barely communicate that. Seriously, what's wrong with this game's creative direction?

2. In the tutorial of Mario Tennis Aces, you can see an audience. Why would they be an entire audience at someone's training? (Or, depending on how you look at it, why would Mario train on a busy national stadium?) Imagine trying to learn tennis, or anything for that matter, and a crowd is watching, cheering, and flashing you for no reason.

Well, you could say that NSMBU has the same problem with world naming (worlds 2 through 7 have candy names and other sweet stuff, despite the areas having nothing to do with said sweet stuff). For example, why on earth is a jungle full of poison "Soda Jungle"? Is this Nintendo's way of telling kids that soda is unhealthy?

Bye Guy said:
2. In the tutorial of Mario Tennis Aces, you can see an audience. Why would they be an entire audience at someone's training? (Or, depending on how you look at it, why would Mario train on a busy national stadium?) Imagine trying to learn tennis, or anything for that matter, and a crowd is watching, cheering, and flashing you for no reason.
They really are paid cheerleaders to help Mario motivate. Or, Mario and friends are that ridiculously famous where even their changing clothes in the locker room garners is quite a spectacle to behold.

Kirby and Dedede said:
Well, you could say that NSMBU has the same problem with world naming (worlds 2 through 7 have candy names and other sweet stuff, despite the areas having nothing to do with said sweet stuff). For example, why on earth is a jungle full of poison "Soda Jungle"? Is this Nintendo's way of telling kids that soda is unhealthy?

Layer-Cake Desert has layer cakes, Frosted Glacier's name is a pun on how the world is frosty, Soda Jungle's name is a metaphor for its highly acidic lakes... Their names have some relevance to their environments. They were more careful with NSMBU. But you don't see anything even remotely related to a donut in Donut Plains, that's for sure.

Mario Party X said:
They really are paid cheerleaders to help Mario motivate. Or, Mario and friends are that ridiculously famous where even their changing clothes in the locker room garners is quite a spectacle to behold.

I mean, Mario changing clothes in the locker room is a spectacle to behold regardless of his fame.

Actually, no, that would be Wario.

Super Mario world giving mushrooms even when I'm full powered up annoys me.

But you don't see anything even remotely related to a donut in Donut Plains, that's for sure.

The layout of the map of Donut Plains itself looks like a donut. Take a look.

donutplains.bmp

It bothers me that I am not currently eating a donut.

Isabelle said:
But you don't see anything even remotely related to a donut in Donut Plains, that's for sure.

The layout of the map of Donut Plains itself looks like a donut. Take a look.

donutplains.bmp
huh never noticed it thats prtetty interetsing

Anyway. the fact that peach and luigi are both afraid of mario when hes capturing something. like. can you not tell its mario. youve both defeated countless goombas so why are you scared of one just now.

Yeah, I hate that detail.

Really ticks me off and makes everything look stupid.

It bothers me that Luigi could still be petrified by ghosts after two solo games of wandering through like seven mansions filled with them. Surely he'd be used to it by now.

~ The absents of previously established locations on Odyssey's world map such as Isle Delfino, Sarasaland or even the neighboring Beanbean Kingdom for example. Even if you couldn't travel to them it would've at least made for a pretty cool little Easter Egg and continuity nod.

~ Similarly as I've mentioned before on the Random Thoughts thread awhile back, it also bugs me a bit that Partners in Time's map doesn't change to reflect details of the modern day Mushroom Kingdom when the Bros. are in the present such as Baby Bowser's castle not retaining it's present day appearance. I understand that it would be pointless anyways since you can't explore outside of Peach's castle when in the present, but still.

Because there is no continuity.

All games just make up whatever the hell they want.

It's likely called Dinosaur Land because the dominant species living there are Yoshis, which are sentient dinosaurs. The Goombas (actually, Galoombas if you want to be accurate), Koopas, etc. may just be Bowser's troops stationed in certain areas throughout the levels, as the story mentions the Koopa Troop invading Dinosaur Land, imprisoning all of the Yoshis in eggs. There are the Rexes, Dino Rhinos, Reznors, and whatnot; perhaps they were more common during prehistoric times. The Blaarghs also looked a lot more like dinosaurs here than in later games.

As for the names of the regions, they could've been named by Yoshis; they're known to be a little fanatical about food, especially fruits and cookies (that's my guess on why they'd be named that in-universe). Or maybe some one from Planet Pop Star discovered Dinosaur Land (that one is a joke; but the food naming theme has been pretty common in Kirby games).

As for the training thing in Mario Tennis Aces, probably an oversight.

Raphael the Raven said:
~ The absents of previously established locations on Odyssey's world map such as Isle Delfino, Sarasaland or even the neighboring Beanbean Kingdom for example. Even if you couldn't travel to them it would've at least made for a pretty cool little Easter Egg and continuity nod.

I always thought their reasoning was simply to focus on showing us new worlds and occasionally revisiting old ones for spin-offs, but yeah, I agree. It doesn't take away from how awesome Odyssey is, but it would've made the metaphorical icing on the cake so much sweeter!

Speaking of Super Mario Odyssey, I think one pet peeve I have with the game that I've made kinda clear before is poison being used as a hazard too much. Lost Kingdom gets a pass because that's the whole theme of Forgotten Isle, but why is there lakes of poison in Shiveria? It'd make more sense to just make it like a chasm or maybe really cold water that would have the same purpose as an insta-kill hazard (that is, colder than the water that actually is in Snow Kingdom).

Additionally, the levels of World 9 in New Super Mario Bros. Wii (and similar worlds in later entries) not looking like what the world map would imply. That just seems like a missed opportunity for a level theme unlike the rest of the game, and could've had a few extra tracks to go with it.

JBX9001 said:
It's likely called Dinosaur Land because the dominant species living there are Yoshis, which are sentient dinosaurs.
Revisionist history! It's clear there are other sentient creatures, but Yoshis are the good guys and therefore are the ones that come up with these stupid names.

But there's also other dinos who live here and made their debut here, right?

Rexes, Dino Rhinos, Reznor...

I'm probably overthinking, but it ain't Dino world just because of the Yoshos.

Isabelle said:

There's also those birds at the top of Yoshi's House, those count.

Isabelle said:

As I said, they're relatively few and far between. They're outnumbered by non-dinosaur species.

Considering how during the events of those games Bowser's army is invading. Odds are most of the non dinosaur things you see are just his minions.

Nope, the size discrepancy is still very bad and wrong.

SMO_Shot_-_New_Donk_City.png

I like Mario being a midget.

Back