Super Mario Bros. Encyclopedia and laziness: Dark Horse's dark heart

Princess Mario said:
Look, Nintendo, just goddang make a remake of Super Mario Land 2.

Oh you just wanna torture Wario in HD

I don't really endorse calling what Dark Horse did "plagiarism" but...

dying rn

DqUHC29VYAA7NBA.jpg

Mister Wu said:
What's wrong with NOA? Is it really possible that at NOE they are much more competent on the matter of non-in-game-text-material about the Mario universe? Are they missing internal proofreaders?

Sometimes the stereotypes about Europeans being smarter than Americans are true, unfortunately. :P

Borp said:
Mister Wu said:
What's wrong with NOA? Is it really possible that at NOE they are much more competent on the matter of non-in-game-text-material about the Mario universe? Are they missing internal proofreaders?

Sometimes the stereotypes about Europeans being smarter than Americans are true, unfortunately. :P

Must resist urge to bring up...our...current...politics.

I feel my beefs with Nintendo of America has lasted before the release of this volume.

Borp said:
Mister Wu said:

Oh please, Nintendo of Europe has had a pretty bad track record themselves in the past. They were the source of the claim that Moe-Eyes are "enemies," iirc.

How much of a brainlet do you have to be to write something like this

DqY-X7HW4AE2T38.jpg

Yeah a company churning out a substandard product and taking material from fans without acknowledgement is super fun. Thanks for the thesis professor

Oh, it's corporate apologists who think that Nintendo is their best friend and cares about them.

"If you don't like it don't buy it" my ass. Where did it say that I won't buy their products? Why can't I criticize a product that made an error? None of what that commenter said actually addressed anything except rely on an easy escape hatch of an argument to shut down discussion, trying to guilt trip people who are critical.

Of course, many people outside are only seeing this "took fandom names," without the knowledge of the ridiculous delays, the blatant inaccuracies, inconsistencies, and cherry-picking involved, and most of all lack of quality control. Yes, Nintendo of America holds heavy blame here, as it was their own lack of quality control that caused this.

I'm noting similarities to how SEGA and Archie Comics lost one of their main money-makers (the Archie Sonic comics) a couple of years ago when they didn't bother to research IP laws when a doofus former writer bought the rights to the characters he wrote, sending that publication into a downward spiral.

Incidentally, Ian Flynn was involved with both publications, as someone with actual competence.

I'm assuming that those types of people read just the headline and nothing in the body article.

It happens. A lot.

I think KryptoniteKrunch's comment is equally stupid, promotes a false equivalence and it has two likes somehow.

It's arguable that it's even plagiarism to begin with considering the wiki is just a fan made encyclopedia based off Nintendo's IP. I do find it funny that people will defend someone when they use assets from a Nintendo game, make a fan made game using Nintendo's IP etc., but when a officially licensed Nintendo product(not even made by Nintendo themselves)uses info from a fan made website, it's time to get out the pitchforks.

I'm not saying Dark Horse is in the right here, but I do find the hypocrisy funny.

"I'm not saying, but[...]" statements usually says "sorry not sorry".

I hope I don't have to point out the immediate problems between of the tortured analogy this person is making.

I *was* tempted to respond but I don't want to escalate drama.

Russian Baby Luigi said:
Oh, it's corporate apologists who think that Nintendo is their best friend and cares about them.

"If you don't like it don't buy it" my ass. Where did it say that I won't buy their products? Why can't I criticize a product that made an error? None of what that commenter said actually addressed anything except rely on an easy escape hatch of an argument to shut down discussion, trying to guilt trip people who are critical.

And accused everyone involved of being an AntiFa high school dropout out of nowhere as a Reductio ad Hitlerum.

I also have no clue what the fuck antifa has to do with an encylopedia about a game series starring a cartoonish fat Italian man who jumps on turtles and eats mushrooms.

Person is a very short step away from "cultural Marxism"

Glowsquid said:
DqY-X7HW4AE2T38.jpg

Yeah a company churning out a substandard product and taking material from fans without acknowledgement is super fun. Thanks for the thesis professor
Yeah, people would have been stocked their creations in an official product, not information the company should already know that the fans already compiled without being credited. For a book that is several years old, mind you.

Princess Mario said:
It's arguable that it's even plagiarism to begin with considering the wiki is just a fan made encyclopedia based off Nintendo's IP. I do find it funny that people will defend someone when they use assets from a Nintendo game, make a fan made game using Nintendo's IP etc., but when a officially licensed Nintendo product(not even made by Nintendo themselves)uses info from a fan made website, it's time to get out the pitchforks.

I'm not saying Dark Horse is in the right here, but I do find the hypocrisy funny.
And this is just preposterous. People at least (usually) make these games from the ground up or lack the means of creating said material themselves and unfortunately don't have Nintendo's blessing. This is a book that, again, is several years old, made by a company that is clearly in touch with Nintendo (meaning they should have the information) and has handled translations of books before (see: Zelda). This should not be happening.

I know you don't want to cause more drama, but could you at least mention how old the book is and why this is inexcusable? :mad:

Some of the users here do seem to be more receptive to our stance, but that Majora101 person is hopeless, has no shred of intellectual honesty and relies on projection. Anyhow, care to elaborate on the relevance that the book is "old"? Don't want to just plainly state "it's old".

I was referring to the delays.
Bottom line is, they had something to work off of and didn't. And considering they translated the Zelda books, they have no excuse.

ThatGuy62 said:
I was referring to the delays.
Bottom line is, they had something to work off of and didn't. And considering they translated the Zelda books, they have no excuse.

Thing is, a similar, but less large situation occurred with Arts & Artifacts, as I mentioned at the start of the thread. Zazack from LttP was identified with Daira of Z2:AoL (which were commonly believed to be the same thing in fandom for a while, as they're both mohawk crocs), while Horsehead and Helmethead went by bad romanizations of their Japanese names, creating "Mazura" and "Jermafenser," which Zeldawiki had switched to due to a previous guide (despite the fact that, iirc, Horsehead and Helmethead were used in the game's own instruction manual). While the other JP-only-named enemies they did the "remove macron" thing, they averted making a lot of other common fandom mistakes, like identifying the Geru enemies from AoL with the Lizalfos of later games. However, their artwork for AoL was an unabashed mixture of instruction booklet artwork and Futashiba guide artwork, which doesn't have too much congruence.

unknown.png

Guy from before is expressing clear signs of DoubleThink.
"I'm gonna not pay attention to what you're saying and assume you have an evil ulterior motive because you had a lot of text, because you're the problem!"

Also, I don't think that any quality of a sense of humor would allow me to think being put under a blanket statement of "antifa GEDs" for a completely unrelated reason as funny.

Doc von Schmeltwick said:
unknown.png

Guy from before is expressing clear signs of DoubleThink.
"I'm gonna not pay attention to what you're saying and assume you have an evil ulterior motive because you had a lot of text, because you're the problem!"

Also, I don't think that any quality of a sense of humor would allow me to think being put under a blanket statement of "antifa GEDs" for a completely unrelated reason as funny.
"Too much text = not reading" is probably the laziest excuse to counter an argument ever.
I can get that walls of text are annoying to read, but claiming you win simply for not reading it is awful.
And I just actually read the first paragraph and my stars, this guy is terrible.

Back