What is your favorite Mario power up and why do you like it?

Chickensuit.jpg

Why? Well, why not? You can be a cock, which only exemplifies the general multiplayer nature of New Super Mario Bros. Wii. I'd imagine you'd also throw eggs, which is not a very cockish thing to do.

Though if you're talking power-ups that are in the existing game, then nothing beats the Penguin Suit.

PDSMBE-PenguinLuigi.png

Not only it's dumb and adorable, it lets you toboggan and swim freely underwater. It also makes a cute noise when you collect a Penguin Suit. It's essentially a much better Frog Suit. The Frog Suit looks and acts stupid anyway.

Probably the Fire Flower.

I feel so OP with for some reason.

tbc2E1d.png

I really like the Propeller Suit's design. It's like you have helicopter on your head, and I really enjoy being a helicopter.

The Cape is really good, considering it has:

Flight
Invincibility during Flight
An attack that can kill most enemies in one hit
Slow Falling (even while riding Yoshi)

It's hard to say that this item isn't OP.

The flying is really unwieldy. The Racoon is so much easier to use, on the other hand. Still, the cape and Blue Yoshi broke Super Mario World, so I'd argue that Mario games didn't get any easier.

Princess Mario said:
The flying is really unwieldy. The Racoon is so much easier to use,
Once you get used to it, the flying feels like second nature, though that might just be me having played the game too much.
Also, unlike the Tanooki leaf you can fly infinitely.

I feel like Super Mario World's levels weren't designed for flying. At all. Aside from a few segments that have lots of open space and coins, I feel the cape flying and Blue Yoshi flying, clipping through the upper parts of the level offscreen is really poorly designed. Hence why I don't do it often, because there's no fun in doing that for all the levels in the game.

Probably one of the reasons I like the Propeller Suit and Flying Squirrel suit more is that the flying feels, well, more balanced rather than game breaking.

Princess Mario said:
Though if you're talking power-ups that are in the existing game, then nothing beats the Penguin Suit.

PDSMBE-PenguinLuigi.png

Not only it's dumb and adorable, it lets you toboggan and swim freely underwater. It also makes a cute noise when you collect a Penguin Suit. It's essentially a much better Frog Suit. The Frog Suit looks and acts stupid anyway.
It also walks and runs on ice without slipping.

I second the cape just for extra utility it provides in comparison to other flight-based power-ups and also the coolness factor, the dive bomb maneuver is super satisfying to do since it essentially functions as a screen nuke.

The cat suit is also fun to use since you can scurry up walls and get crazy momentum from the mid-air dive.

J-Yoshi64 said:
It also walks and runs on ice without slipping.
AND it shoots iceballs.

It's a multifunctional suit! Similar to the cape!

The cape is also a great way to ruin Ganondorf's or Fox's day.

Princess Mario said:
Still, the cape and Blue Yoshi broke Super Mario World, so I'd argue that Mario games didn't get any easier.

I'm sad to hear that you think my favourite Yoshi broke the game... :(

Fire Mario.

I like to BURN things.

YoshiEgg1990 said:
I'm sad to hear that you think my favourite Yoshi broke the game... :(
There's little doubt that Blue Yoshi is OP though...

Mcmadness said:
Fire Mario.

I like to BURN things.
for shame I thought you might go for the Bowser suit

The MEGA SHROOM because I like blocking the whole screen and destroying pipes and flagpoles. I'll give honorable mentions to the Propeller Mushroom, Penguin Suit, and Yoshi Egg (everyone thought I would choose this) though.

Nah, the Bowser suit just makes you big and fat.

Definitely the Super Bell. Everyone looks cuter wearing cat suits (With the exception of Bowser, he just looks ridiculous), the ability to just climb to the top of the flagpole is really useful, as is climbing up walls, the claw jump can let you cut out huge sections of levels and the claw attack is also quite helpful. Plus you leave little pawprints everywhere you go which is really cute.

i like super mushroom cuz its funny its like he did the drug mushroom haha

no, but my favorite is the t-rex from odyssey just cuz of the absurdity of mario becoming a big ass dinosaur

The Penguin Suit, because it's 3 POWER UPS COMBINED TOGETHER!!!, those powerups are:

-The Ice Flower
-The Blue Shell from NSMBDS
-The Frog Suit

frog suit because frogs rule also its the only thing that makes water levels not suck

Y'know what would be a cool premise for a power-up? What if Mario had his own eleventh hour superpower transformation equivalent to Super Sonic or Star Rod Kirby for example? Like say during a final boss fight when things seem completely hopeless, Mario unwittingly absorbs the magical plot MacGuffins and gains a huge influx of power that levels the playing field.

I know it's a rather overused trope, but I'm a sucker for it. Feels like the closest thing we ever got to that was Shiny Mario at the end of Sticker Star but even then it's a one off transformation for obvious reasons.

--

Some of my other favorite normal power-ups include:

~Blue Shell - Due to the zipping around at the speed of sound.
~Mega Mushroom/Mega Star - Because who doesn't love smashing through miles of a level designer's hard work?
~Metal Cap - CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK CLANK
~Superball Flower - Convenience of the Fire Flower with the added benefit of grabbing coins for you.
~Cloud Flower - Having three insta-platforms comes in handy.
~Double Cherries - Clones are fun.
~Penguin Suit - For similar reason to what others in the thread have mentioned.
~Hammer Suit - That's it! I'M THROWIN' HAMMERS!!!

NanoPhoenix said:
Y'know what would be a cool premise for a power-up? What if Mario had his own eleventh hour superpower transformation equivalent to Super Sonic or Star Rod Kirby for example? Like say during a final boss fight when things seem completely hopeless, Mario unwittingly absorbs the magical plot MacGuffins and gains a huge influx of power that levels the playing field.

I know it's a rather overused trope, but I'm a sucker for it. Feels like the closest thing we ever got to that was Shiny Mario at the end of Sticker Star but even then it's a one off transformation for obvious reasons.

to be frank and no offense, i think it's dumb for mario and yeah, as you said, very cliche. so yeah, not a fan of this idea. i prefer if mario does other things to overcome bowser than a super mario-type thing.

Back