Mario Kart 9 - What It Should Be Like

Russian Baby Luigi said:
I dunno whether it's an unpopular opinion or not, but I'm frankly getting a bit tired of new nonMario characters being added in, especially in spite of the glaring omissions of veteran Mario characters such as Birdo or Diddy Kong. I want to see new Mario characters first.

Absolutely agree, at the end of the day it's called "Mario Kart", so leaving out Mario universe characters in favor of characters from other universes doesn't make sense to me

The deal is, I have a threshold of tolerance for adding nonMario characters in comparison with adding new Mario characters. I didn't mind Link nor Villager being added. Inklings straddled it, being there mostly to serve as an advertisement for Splatoon. It's great we got returning Mario Kart veterans but I feel like there's a problem when the Mario Kart veterans (which, let's be honest, should have been in Mario Kart 8 to begin with) are the only "new" Mario characters we'd been receiving.

If they did mostly add new Mario content, I would have little issue with adding characters such as Kirby or whatever to the game, just as long as the focus still remains to be Mario.

(I never liked the idea of Nintendo Kart to begin with; one of the appeals of Mario Kart is the Mario-themes such as the items, race tracks, and soundtrack. i feel like Nintendo Kart would, weirdly enough as developed by the same people probably, just be a Mario Kart clone)

Russian Baby Luigi said:
The deal is, I have a threshold of tolerance for adding nonMario characters in comparison with adding new Mario characters. I didn't mind Link nor Villager being added. Inklings straddled it, being there mostly to serve as an advertisement for Splatoon. It's great we got returning Mario Kart veterans but I feel like there's a problem when the Mario Kart veterans (which, let's be honest, should have been in Mario Kart 8 to begin with) are the only "new" Mario characters we'd been receiving.

If they did mostly add new Mario content, I would have little issue with adding characters such as Kirby or whatever to the game, just as long as the focus still remains to be Mario.

(I never liked the idea of Nintendo Kart to begin with; one of the appeals of Mario Kart is the Mario-themes such as the items, race tracks, and soundtrack. i feel like Nintendo Kart would, weirdly enough as developed by the same people probably, just be a Mario Kart clone)

I use Link quite a lot in MK8, so I'd be kinda disappointed if he was kicked. Inklings can burn.

The moment they even think about adding Kirby then it'll just be Super Crossover Kart, and I'm not a fan of that.

I think my opinion on non-Mario stuff in Mario Kart is pretty well known, but I will say that out of the other major Nintendo franchises, Kirby fits the aesthetic of the Mario universe the most. So if someone put a gun to my head and said "choose a non-Mario Nintendo character to add to Mario Kart" I'd choose Kirby.

I'd bring back R.O.B. He's not a Mario character, but he's not really a character from other series, either. He's the literal face of the SNES/Famicom — a whole system. That's a loophole I can get behind.

My ideal would be Kirby (because I have double standards); for anyone else, please put 5-10 Mario characters before one non-Mario character, veterans prioritized. Return Wiggler and Honey Queen.

J & Siph said:
I'd bring back R.O.B. He's not a Mario character, but he's not really a character from other series, either. He's the literal face of the SNES/Famicom — a whole system. That's a loophole I can get behind.
I'm cool with R.O.B., but he's as far as I'd take it

Johnny Five said:
I think my opinion on non-Mario stuff in Mario Kart is pretty well known, but I will say that out of the other major Nintendo franchises, Kirby fits the aesthetic of the Mario universe the most. So if someone put a gun to my head and said "choose a non-Mario Nintendo character to add to Mario Kart" I'd choose Kirby.

I would too. He does fit the bill for a Mario character...but it would seem like they've run out of ideas for new characters from the Mario franchise. This may actually happen in the future, as the previous Mario Kart literally just added the Koopalings instead of bringing back the unique characters like Birdo and Petey Piranha.

For the main topic, maybe a stage from DK: Tropical Freeze could be added. Maybe driving through several islands from the game, hopping from island to island via underwater and/or gliding. Of course, one of the islands would have to be DK Island frozen. That way, there would be several course elements combined into one course (off-road, gliding, underwater, snow).

Moldomré said:
I would too. He does fit the bill for a Mario character...but it would seem like they've run out of ideas for new characters from the Mario franchise.
Well like I always say, this wouldn't be an issue if they'd be more open minded to the spinoff characters :P

Right now though, I'm not a fan of adding more crossover characters without cuts. I'd cut one of the existing ones for Kirby to join. I know Link is probably the least popular cutting option due to how iconic he is, but I'd probably cut him first just because his series' visual style differs the most from Mario's out of the crossover characters in MK8/Deluxe.

I would like a new item called Metal Box. It will turn the character metal and have increased top speed and weight.

Anyway, if I were to include a non-Mario character, it might be the StarFox crew (including Slippy), because them riding in Karts are a sight to behold.

Thank you for reading.

winstein said:
I would like a new item called Metal Box. It will turn the character metal and have increased top speed and weight.
I support this if only for the fact that it would give a place for metal characters, and they even get to make metal versions of ALL the characters, but only for this item, and they are no longer separate characters on the roster :D

winstein said:

Anyway, if I were to include a non-Mario character, it might be the StarFox crew (including Slippy), because them riding in Karts are a sight to behold.

Thank you for reading.
That's actually a similar item, the Heavy Mushroom, in Mario Kart Arcade GP DX.

Metal Mario can become Metal Metal Mario in that game.

But if such an item exists, I want to see Metal Mario turn into regular Mario.

And that implies that Metal Mario is heavier than Mario but that Mario is also heavier than Metal Mario?

7iizt_by_lawlsomedude-d7a2c20.gif

Lucario said:
yes, Birdo should definitely be in there, ...
I will never ever support the inclusion of the existing 3D Birdo design in anything ever. If they made a 3D Birdo that looked like this version (from Super Mario Advance instruction manual) than I would celebrate never having to see that hideous version again (at-least not in new games). Note the calmer colour, calmer expression, smaller bow, lack of ring and hideous purple eyeliner.
97px-Birdo_advance.PNG

But now that we have that over with,

Let's talk about what really matters; game mechanics.

Since they already have a Mario Kart game on the Switch, I hope they take the opportunity to make a more radical, experimental, more skill-based Mario Kart. Here is my pitch:

To compensate for the large number of items, there will be different types of item boxes with different categories of items. The 3 main categories are Boosts, Projectiles, and Status/Melee. Some of the rarer items appear in two categories. Here are the listings:

Boosts:
(Rhombicuboctahedron or low-poly mushroom shape)

• Mushroom (1x, 2x, 3x)
  • Golden Mushroom
  • Fury Shroom/ Sling Star (new item)
  • Bullet Bill
  • Starman

Projectiles:
(Octahedron)

• Banana (1x, 2x, 3x, 4x)
  • Fake Item Box (1x, 2x)
  • Green Shell (1x, 2x, 3x)
  • Red Shell (1x, 2x)
  • Fire Flower
  • Bob-omb

Status/Melee:
(Cube)

• Super Leaf (Tanooki tail)
  • Super Horn
  • Starman
  • Chain Chomp (I visually prefer this over the piranha plant)
  • Spin attack

I don't know what to do with the Blue Spiny Shell and Lightning Bolt. Perhaps they should be a fourth category, and they would activate automatically on pick-up without taking-up an item slot. This game would probably only have one item slot anyway, since it's easier to get the items you want. Otherwise, they can be added to the projectiles category.

The item distribution would also vary by character. For example, Mario & Luigi are more likely to get the items that they use in Super Mario Bros. Bowser is more likely to get the Fire Flower, Koopa shells, and Bullet Bill. The Kong's are more likely to get Banana's (in fact, 4x banana's may be exclusive to them). Some characters may also use items slightly differently. For example, Bowser has bigger but slower fireballs with the Fire Flower, and Donkey Kong throws banana's at a lower angle (but equal distance).

I would also like to see knock-back mechanics with the weapons, and actual slide-outs with banana's. This can be utilized to knock players off edges with shells, or making them slide off with banana's.
The Spin Attack I listed would be a melee attack with the highest knockback in the game. It would give 3 tries, but it's consumed with the first successful hit.

The Fury Mushroom or Sling Star is a hybrid of the Mushroom & Starman. It gives a moderate speed boost for 2 seconds, and flips anyone that you hit.

I might talk about single-player in a later post, but I think it should be called "campaign mode" which is based on the story mode in Little Big Planet Karting.

Sounds like the balloons from Diddy Kong Racing, but with more random items within them.

Oh oh I'd like to see jostling mechanics be similar to Burnout's, where ramming into them can even send them flying into other vehicles and if they into a wall, they get totaled, and the game rewarding players for dangerous maneuvers.

Electric-Gecko said:
The item distribution would also vary by character. For example, Mario & Luigi are more likely to get the items that they use in Super Mario Bros. Bowser is more likely to get the Fire Flower, Koopa shells, and Bullet Bill. The Kong's are more likely to get Banana's (in fact, 4x banana's may be exclusive to them). Some characters may also use items slightly differently. For example, Bowser has bigger but slower fireballs with the Fire Flower, and Donkey Kong throws banana's at a lower angle (but equal distance).

I worry about the item distribution differing between characters since that gets us into the territory of certain characters being better than others. We already have certain characters on top of the "Tier List" because of how great they are on their vehicle. Don't you think making items the way they were in Double Dash but even more varied would cause Mario Kart to become a game where the character you pick matters just as much as it does in any random fighting game? I like Mario Kart being a series where you can pick any character and win, and I feel like with differences in items, it'd be harder to balance all the characters together with the ever increasing roster.

Mario Kart should have a hub world devoted mode like Diddy Kong Racing or Mario & Sonic at the Rio Olympic Games or even Splatoon where you drive to different locations in order to race on the tracks (though my idea is a blend of ideas from open world games too like Burnout: Paradise)

In order to not make it repetitive, you can see different characters say different things, show up in different locations in the hub world, and the characters in the overworld react to you differently depending on who you use (like, Waluigi would appear in the hub world if you're not using him and if you play as Baby Luigi, he talks condescendingly to you). When you unlock characters, they'll also show up in the hub world. Additionally, the world will also change its weather and season and time of the day depending on the system settings, and characters will talk differently too depending on the season and time. Maybe characters can talk depending on if they were on the last race and their feelings about the race track or whatever.

Like, it's not going to happen sure, but I wish the world was more interactive like that.

Shop Mode should have been a basic feature for games with multiple parts to begin with.

It's freaking insane how kart parts in Mario Kart 8 are unlocked randomly, where you'll unlock parts you hate first because fuck you instead of doing what pretty much every other racing game does: earning those coins to buy the parts you want to use to begin with.

^ That's what I say every time I talk about having a freaking Shop Mode. It just makes sense to pair it with the coin system. Gives them an actual use.
Plus, the characters and Miis could have costumes to buy, too, like in Odyssey or in various sports spinoffs.

J & Siph said:
^ That's what I say every time I talk about having a freaking Shop Mode. It just makes sense to pair it with the coin system. Gives them an actual use.
Plus, the characters and Miis could have costumes to buy, too, like in Odyssey or in various sports spinoffs.

Odyssey used its currency SO well. I wish every Mario game used currency in the same way, especially Mario Kart since it'd allow players to by the parts that they want specifically instead of this random roulette every x amount of coins.

Back