Mario Kart 9 - What It Should Be Like

J & Siph said:
I just remembered something else: triple bananas. I want them to trail behind the vehicle again instead of orbiting.

Yes.

YES.

Y E S.

Nintendo must have lost their minds when developing MK8.

Princess Mario said:
The voices need to be good again. Mario Kart Wii and Double Dash had good voices (Mario Kart 7 reused most of those two). Mario Kart 8's voice is mostly rubbish, though Shy Guy and Baby Peach are good to me.

Meh, the voices are fine.

Oh, I also want the multiple :yoshi: colors again.

you can't tell me the first few voice effects are fine

they are not

they sound like Mario's vocal chords got really wheezy and hoarse from excessive drywall powder inside a balloon that has been filled with helium

and this Mario is superior and when he gets hit he actually sounds like he's getting hit, not just making barely-audible short grunting noises

Baby Luigi's voice is good no matter the game.

Though yeah I do prefer the MKW and MKDD Baby Luigi

Eh, give Martinet some slack, dude is getting old and can't vocalize like he used to. Even his Wario voice is notably restrained these days compared to the early 00s.

I need to point out that Mario sounds fine in Mario Party: The Later Ones and Mario Tennis Ultra Smash.

Princess Mario said:
you can't tell me the first few voice effects are fine

they are not

they sound like Mario's vocal chords got really wheezy and hoarse from excessive drywall powder inside a balloon that has been filled with helium

and this Mario is superior and when he gets hit he actually sounds like he's getting hit, not just making barely-audible short grunting noises

I'll admit, the first time I played the Wii U Mario games I almost went into shock hearing Mario's voice several octaves higher than usual. Also, as Mcmadness pointed, voice actors get old.

#dealwithit.

Are you really sure it's not the overall direction of the game? I think other characters sound off, not just the Martinez voiced ones. Donkey Kong, for example. Not to mention, I think some kart noises, namely the Standard Kart and Pipe Frame, are nails-on-chalkboard to hear.

it's clearly the game's direction.

Martinet can still provide his talents accordingly to each character including Wario to this day, proof being in Wario Gold were he got all the material to perform that he never got these years.

Also you can't tell me it isn't voice direction when Rosalina voiced by Laura sounds about right in 3D World but then in MK8 is terrible.

And this is popular opinion, i wish i was the only one that noticed that but that's not true. Most people have come to the conclusion that SFX, voice and roster wise MK8 has always been inferior to MKWii.

let's not lie.

There needs to be influence from Super Mario Odyssey. It's been a Mario Kart tradition for each installment to have nods to the main 3D (2D in the case of SNES and GBA) platformer of the same system.

Super Mario Kart had Donut Plains and Choco(late) Island from Super Mario Land.
MK64 had Peach's castle and Leslie Swan voicing Peach from Super Mario 64.
Super Circuit remade the SNES courses, just like the Super Mario Advance games are all remakes of SNES platformers.
Double Dash has Cataquacks, Piantas, Noki, Shine Thief, Bowser Jr., Petey Piranha, and a lot of music cues from Super Mario Sunshine.
MKDS has a bunch of bosses and voice clips from SM64DS.
MKWii has Rosalina, a Luma, and Star Bits from Super Mario Galaxy.
Mario Kart 7 doesn't really have much going for it aside from the Tanooki Leaf and the fake Goombas from 3D Land. Probably could have at least had a playable Boom Boom or Pom Pom or something.
Mario Kart 8 had even less in the core game. The Biddybuggy and the Boomerang item are from 3D World, but also from 3D Land. The Cat Cruiser and the Potted Piranha are the only things the core game that are solely from 3D World. The Super Horn does also look like something out of that game. They could have had a Sprixie Princess as a playable character. But yes, I realize that DLC provides Cat Peach and Super Bell Subway, from 3D World.

Here's hoping for Odyssey!

J & Siph said:
There needs to be influence from Super Mario Odyssey. It's been a Mario Kart tradition for each installment to have nods to the main 3D (2D in the case of SNES and GBA) platformer of the same system.

Super Mario Kart had Donut Plains and Choco(late) Island from Super Mario Land.
Super Circuit remade the SNES courses, just like the Super Mario Advance games are all remakes of SNES platformers.
Double Dash has Cataquacks, Piantas, Noki, Shine Thief, Bowser Jr., Petey Piranha, and a lot of music cues from Super Mario Sunshine.
MKWii has Rosalina, a Luma, and Star Bits from Super Mario Galaxy.
Mario Kart 7 doesn't really have much going for it aside from the Tanooki Leaf and the fake Goombas from 3D Land. Probably could have at least had a playable Boom Boom or Pom Pom or something.
Mario Kart 8 had even less in the core game. The Biddybuggy and the Boomerang item are from 3D World, but also from 3D Land. The Cat Cruiser and the Potted Piranha are the only things the core game that are solely from 3D World. The Super Horn does also look like something out of that game. They could have had a Sprixie Princess as a playable character. But yes, I realize that DLC provides Cat Peach and Super Bell Subway, from 3D World.

At least two courses from different kingdoms, PLEASE not from Sand though, it's kinda overrated.

I don't know why people want Cappy playable, Pauline has a better chance.

MKDS and MK7 based themselves mainly on their console counterparts.

In fact MK7 still has more Galaxy stuff added , Honey Queen. Also they gave Rosalina her own track and kept her as a character.

MKDS has almost everything based on Double Dash.

The problem with MK8 is that it really didn't have any major Mario game to take stuff from aside from 3D World which to me was not enough.

Either they are gonna revive Deluxe and add Odyssey stuff or just make MK9 on the Switch which is very unlikely.

It's more likely for Nintendo to milk Odyssey on Deluxe and later make a handheld Mario Kart like they always do.

It feels like a waste to be adding more aesthetic stuff onto Mario Kart 8 Deluxe when it literally reuses the exact same tracks from the original Wii U title. A better Battle Mode doesn't mean much if you're more into racing, and already have the Wii U version. On the other hand, Miiverse's closure does mean that Tournaments can only be made in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe now.

J & Siph said:

Super Mario Kart had Donut Plains and Choco(late) Island from Super Mario Land. I'm pretty sure you meant to say World here. Also, the feather (Cape Feather) is from World.

Super Circuit remade the SNES courses, just like the Super Mario Advance games are all remakes of SNES platformers. Two of them were NES games, but they also had SNES remasters, so I see what you're getting at here.

MKWii has Rosalina, a Luma, and Star Bits from Super Mario Galaxy. Not to mention the Galaxy-themed Rainbow Road (Rainbow Road (Wii)) and the now-defunct Galaxy Colosseum battle stage.

Just commenting on some points you made here.

Kirby of the Stars said:
J & Siph said:

Super Mario Kart had Donut Plains and Choco(late) Island from Super Mario Land. I'm pretty sure you meant to say World here. Also, the feather (Cape Feather) is from World.

Super Circuit remade the SNES courses, just like the Super Mario Advance games are all remakes of SNES platformers. Two of them were NES games, but they also had SNES remasters, so I see what you're getting at here.

MKWii has Rosalina, a Luma, and Star Bits from Super Mario Galaxy. Not to mention the Galaxy-themed Rainbow Road (Rainbow Road (Wii)) and the now-defunct Galaxy Colosseum battle stage.

Mario Kart 8 had even less in the core game. The Biddybuggy and the Boomerang item are from 3D World, but also from 3D Land. The Cat Cruiser and the Potted Piranha are the only things the core game that are solely from 3D World. The Super Horn does also look like something out of that game. They could have had a Sprixie Princess as a playable character. But yes, I realize that DLC provides Cat Peach and Super Bell Subway, from 3D World. Adding to Kirby's notes and yours, Tanooki Mario came from 3D Land/World as well. Although he had the darker colors from 3D World.

Just commenting on some points you made here.

One more added at the end of the MK8 section.

I'd like to see Nintendo expand upon using tracks and characters from other series they produce whether 1st or 2nd party IP. I really don't think the game is really meant to be a crossover like Smash Bros. but seeing more representation like we did with Animal Crossing would be nice.

I dunno whether it's an unpopular opinion or not, but I'm frankly getting a bit tired of new nonMario characters being added in, especially in spite of the glaring omissions of veteran Mario characters such as Birdo or Diddy Kong. I want to see new Mario characters first.

While it is a priority to include the Mario characters, and yes, Birdo should definitely be in there, girl needs relevance again, if they put Non-Mario characters, that's most likely always who I main. Look at me, I main Link and Isabelle in MK8D.

But it also depends on what characters they are.

I don't care either way.

Relevance in what?

the only series in which Birdo has been put aside recently was Mario Kart and she wasn't the only one , everybody knows MK8 Roster is bullshit so.

Birdo still appears in Paper Mario games, in golf games, is returning to tennis games, still appears in the Olympics and so on.

I just thought of something else: I really don't want Metals as separate characters. But I don't need to rant about that again. :-X

as long as they are given separate stats they are separate characters, let's just accept it and move on from 2014 already.

Back