Other Human Characters in Mario games (excluding the main Mario cast)

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
Awards Committee
MarioWiki
winstein
729px-MGAT_group.jpg

Main Mario cast, in this context, are: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Wario, Waluigi and Rosalina. Baby versions of them are included of course.

Humans besides the main Mario cast and some minor ones like Pauline and Stanley are surprisingly elusive in the Mario games:
- The Mario RPG games didn't have any human NPCs besides Peach and Luigi, and the closest to one are Toads, who straddles the line between human and fantastical species.
- Many of Mario's sports series (Strikers, Baseball) settle for existing Mario species like Koopas, Toads and Shy Guys to fill in for Mario audience.
- Mario Kart didn't really delve too much in making more human characters besides baby and metal versions of established cast.
- Square-Enix's Mario games have the White Mage, Black Mage and Ninja, which are original takes of Final Fantasy's versions of the characters, but since they are crossover creations, they will never appear outside Square-Enix's efforts
- Super Mario Odyssey's New Donk City have realistic human NPCs, but they have little characterisation due to their uniform designs. Because they are clearly designed to originate from a single location (so we can spot the foreigner in other Kingdoms), they are still considered elusive.

And we are left with some cases where humans other than the main Mario cast have regular presence:
- Mario's multiple animated series, especially Super Mario Bros. Super Show, have human characters every now and then, and many of them are exaggerated cartoonish proportions similar to Mario, Luigi and Princess.
- Camelot's Mario games add their own human characters and have them interacted with Mario, and they appear in two generations of Mario Golf and Tennis games (the N64/GBC and GCN/GBA ones). Their human characters are cartoonish people who are moderate in body proportion and have a plain face save for large eyes, matching up with how Peach, Daisy and Rosalina (and to a lesser extent Luigi) look. There are a few outliers, but very few are exaggerated in a way that Mario, Wario and Waluigi are. It's very clear that their tendency to design human characters is due to Camelot's roots in RPGs, where they do have a huge human cast.
- Mario's educational games like Mario's Time Machine and Mario is Missing have human characters, but due to their oddity and existence as license games, we will never see them again.
- Techincally Wario's series have other human characters, but they never quite mix with Mario so we don't count that until they properly crossed over.

Human characters are an odd case for Mario. Outside of the main cast, Mario tend to prefer using the fantastical species that are introduced in Super Mario games to fill the crowd, which is something I can understand since their designs stand out, and some are even rather friendly too! Moreover, the case for human characters is a precarious case: on one hand, they tend to have a generic feel in their designs so they might hardly stand out. On the other hand, because of the rarity of human characters, if a new human character were to be introduced, they must have a valid reason to exist, which rarely happens since the last time this happened was Rosalina back in Super Mario Galaxy.

Looking at this from another point of view, Mario is a human character so the sense of isolation as a human can bother some people. After all, since Mario is a human, surely other human characters besides Mario's main cast are around too. That would make the extra humans appearing in some Mario works a sort of relief.

What is your opinion of humans in Mario games: do you like to see more of them, or are they considered unnecessary in the grand scheme of things?

Thank you for reading.

Here are the ones I know:

-E. Gadd
-Pauline
-New Donkers

Well, that's it. I don't really know the ones from Mario Tennis.

Maybe we can throw in Foreman Spike in there. He's not generic and he's a pretty notable baddie in the Wrecking Crew games. He also looks like the fifth Mario plumber boy, at least his initial design. Overall, he looks like the second bad Mario. I probably like this one the most, though, we need to just change the outfit to the Mobile Golf one, but keep the shoes.

Foreman_Spike_%28Mario_Character_Encyclopedia%29.png

But his design in the '98 SNES game, he looks more like some Waluigi-Wario hybrid. More buff, wearing a tank top, but no beard. I don't think this Spike one really stands out well from Waluigi or Wario though.
ForemanSpikeSprite.PNG

His final design, he's a fat man on a crane. He seems like the least "Mario-looking" to me probably from his lack of resemblance to anything, but even then, he's a step above the other generic humans.
Foremanspike.jpg

I like to see a more modern take on this character. I think he has potential to be the next new male Mario character, new in the sense we haven't seen him in Mario rosters rendered in 3D or in otherwise contemporary artwork.

The human characters from Camelot's Mario Sport games were really just early attempts to round out the cast. Azalea in particular comes off as a prototype for Daisy as Mario Tennis 64 established her. With that noted, we can call Waluigi Camelot's greatest work.

Camelot also was responsible for bringing Daisy back to a bigger audience as well as introducing Baby Mario. That's quite a bit of contribution to the series if you ask me.

Camelot didn't make Yoshi's Island, so how exactly did they introduce Baby Mario? Unless you mean they brought him to the spin-offs.

They introduced him to the spinoffs you silly goose.

They even gave him a redesign, giving him lovely blue overalls and blue sneakers, which we see to this day. Nintendo thought Camelot was on to something and thus Mario Kart: Double Dash was born, and Baby Daisy, and Baby Rosalina were a result of a forced carry to term.

More than anything, if the Mario series want to introduce a new female character, I hope the body type has more in common with Mario and Luigi (or to a lesser extent Wario and Waluigi) as opposed to the doll-like figures that the current female characters have. I don't think a round nose or having some muscle/fat will diminish the female appearance at all, so I think there's no reason to stick with the usual.

Qayin said:
The human characters from Camelot's Mario Sport games were really just early attempts to round out the cast. Azalea in particular comes off as a prototype for Daisy as Mario Tennis 64 established her. With that noted, we can call Waluigi Camelot's greatest work.
I am not sure that Azalea is designed as a redesigned Daisy, but they are indeed incredibly close in appearance that you never see them in the same game.

I do agree that Camelot has got a hit when they designed Waluigi, becuase he's apparently popular enough to be included in further spinoffs, getting even a few appearances in Game & Watch Gallery 4. He may not be well-liked by just about anybody, but his inclusion is a net win for the Mario franchise.

The real question is, given that Camelot initially wanted to design Wapeach, how would a Wapeach look like...

Princess Mario said:
Camelot also was responsible for bringing Daisy back to a bigger audience as well as introducing Baby Mario. That's quite a bit of contribution to the series if you ask me.

Mario Golf sure has some unexpected roster choices. Not only do they have some established characters like Mario, Luigi, Peach, Wario, Yoshi and Bowser, they have original characters, Baby Mario and even Metal Mario! I think it's cool that they have given Baby Mario some nice clothes in this game, which I guess became the standard for all Mario games to come (not Yoshi ones).

Princess Mario said:
Maybe we can throw in Foreman Spike in there. He's not generic and he's a pretty notable baddie in the Wrecking Crew games. He also looks like the fifth Mario plumber boy, at least his initial design. Overall, he looks like the second bad Mario. I probably like this one the most, though, we need to just change the outfit to the Mobile Golf one, but keep the shoes.

**cut**

I like to see a more modern take on this character. I think he has potential to be the next new male Mario character, new in the sense we haven't seen him in Mario rosters rendered in 3D or in otherwise contemporary artwork.

I think Foreman Spike is a decent choice for being brought back, in the same way Pauline is brought back for Super Mario Odyssey. Only problem is, Foreman Spike never have some form of regular presence so it would make him like a strange new addition that would be compared to Wario and Waluigi, unlike Pauline who's had appearances in Mario vs Donkey Kong.

Thank you for reading.

Foreman Spike nothing, I want a sequel to wrecking crew.

Like an actual sequel, not that japan only puzzle game thing (though that wasn't bad)

Mcmadness said:
Foreman Spike nothing, I want a sequel to wrecking crew.

Like an actual sequel, not that japan only puzzle game thing (though that wasn't bad)

I find it weird that you find Wario's lost cousin (a.k.a Foreman Spike) not lame but you find Wart lame.

I know Spike came before and all that, but he's also similar to Wario, right?

I'm indifferent to Spike. What I really want is a wrecking crew sequel.

Yeah, I want one too. I'd really like to see the Eggplant dude back.

Now, have you all forgotten about the kings?

Smb3mushroomkings.png

One of them is transformed into DK JR too. Weird, right? Could it be that the father from today's DK is that king (Cranky is his grandpa, so DK JR is his father I think) who turned himself into a human just to rule a land? Maybe I'm just putting too much thought into it lol.

And well... this? The wiki says it's human but it doesn't look very human.

Valentina.gif

I like Booster more (even if he's somewhat a Wario clone). He's funnier and less weird looking.

Smrpg_booster.gif

There are apparently alternate outfits in Mario Tennis Aces. Not sure if those are for Miis or the actual characters, but if it's the former, I hope there are costumes based on Alex, Harry, Nina, Kate, and the like, or at least stuff we can use to make ourselves resemble them.

winstein said:
I am not sure that Azalea is designed as a redesigned Daisy, but they are indeed incredibly close in appearance that you never see them in the same game.

Didn't say she was. I'm suggsting that the developers incorporated parts of Azalea (characterization as a tomboy, later hairstyle) into Daisy for her return in 3D in Mario Tennis.

winstein said:
The real question is, given that Camelot initially wanted to design Wapeach, how would a Wapeach look like...

https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/904434970642526208

What was said about that more or less said they didn't go with Wapeach for Mario Tennis 64 since she'd be ugly. I'm sure Captain Syrup was designed to be something of an Anti-Peach anyway.

Qayin said:
https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/904434970642526208
On a side note, that interview is interesting because it says that Daisy was brought back to be for Luigi what Peach is for Mario rather than to be Peach's partner (although that was probably a secondary goal).

Recently Charles Martinet is announced as a playable character in a game called Runner3, which is a sequel of Bit.Trip Runner2, which is a game narrated by him. How about Charles Martinet getting some appearance in the Mario games as himself?

Alex95 said:
There are apparently alternate outfits in Mario Tennis Aces. Not sure if those are for Miis or the actual characters, but if it's the former, I hope there are costumes based on Alex, Harry, Nina, Kate, and the like, or at least stuff we can use to make ourselves resemble them.

I really like Miis and hope they are in this Mario game also, and I like your idea on incorporating past characters as costumes.

You brought up a great point: Miis. They are very human-like, but the only issue is that their faces are usually designed outside the norm of human faces, such as putting the eyes below the mouth. They are also stylised humans so they might look out of place in the Mario universe, which would be why many Mario fans tend to dislike Miis in their games.

Thank you for reading.

Qayin said:
What was said about that more or less said they didn't go with Wapeach for Mario Tennis 64 since she'd be ugly. I'm sure Captain Syrup was designed to be something of an Anti-Peach anyway.
but that didn't stop Wario from being really ugly!

I can't think of many notable Mario human females who aren't conventionally attractive. And Wario's ugliness still works for him since much of it comes from him being an exaggerated Mario. I would guess the devs couldn't figure out how to stick with Wario's design theme for Wapeach while keeping her cute/beautiful.

Anyway, here's interesting examples of not just some humans but also Mario characters on Modern Earth:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/miloscat/13024224393/in/album-72157642078272083/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/miloscat/13024224293/in/album-72157642078272083/

I want to see the next panel of the comic where the Yoshis go to jail for massive shoplifting.

Qayin said:
I would guess the devs couldn't figure out how to stick with Wario's design theme for Wapeach while keeping her cute/beautiful.
but does she have to be cute or beautiful?

Back