Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

This genuinely surprised me more than Piranha Plant, I'm not lying.

Haven't played Persona 5 but I heard a bit about it, and I certainly heard about Joker. And as I said every reveal trailer is gonna hype me at this point, so I'm all in.

I've played this game last night until pretty late.

+ 8-player Smash is even more hectic than it is in Smash for Wii U, and this is coming from someone who has played it with chaotic mods on virtually any stage. Additionally, it appears that hazards that weren't present on Smash for Wii U are now present here.
+ I love the Kirby bomber enemy item. Easily among my favorite newer items.
+ Character final smashes are very unbalanced, Mario especially. This is to the point where I think the Final Smash meter is an uphill battle against him. The Mario Finale feels terrible to use in almost every way, a huge nerf from Super Smash Bros. for Wii U as it's more easily escapable and it doesn't kill 99% of the time. I hope a patch later addresses that Final Smash alongside other fairly mediocre ones too.
+ Stage morph can kill your character if it occurs at a bad moment and your character is in a bad spot.
+ You can unlock a Baby Mario and Baby Luigi spirit extremely early in the game :)
+ Menu UI is utterly a pain to navigate. These are our first impressions of it. I don't like going through extra menus and stuff in regards to the rules (in Smash for Wii U, the saved rulesets due to mods were saved from my last playthrough and I'm content with playing with those rules every time I boot up the game). Implementing amiibo fighters is also pretty annoying in comparison to just plopping them in by reading them from the NFC adapter.
+ Ness's new up air is worse than his old head bonk, especially when playing in situations where it can be easily interrupted such as in multiple player smash. He still feels great to play though!
+ Level 9's and amiibo fighters are still lulzy to beat up.
+ Cinematic such as Yoshi's stampede or Wario's farts final smashes carry over that annoying bug from Smash 4 that you lose your item if some *bleep* performs it on another *bleep*. I hate it to see it unfixed here.
+ Character unlocks are long, tedious, and something I wish I had an option to unlock all of them from the getgo.

I would say nothing compares to Mewtwo's 20 hours of the game, it's better because you at least you get new content meanwhile compared to leaving the thing overnight with 4 players plugged in if you're lucky to have that much characters.

No, in Smash Ultimate you cannot do Sudden Death Matches to unlock characters as there's a 5-10 minute wait between unlocking fighters. They force you to play the game "as it should" to unlock characters, and I hate it.

Рождественский Малыш Луиджи said:
No, in Smash Ultimate you cannot do Sudden Death Matches to unlock characters as there's a 5-10 minute wait between unlocking fighters. They force you to play the game "as it should" to unlock characters, and I hate it.
I'm pretty sure closing the game and booting it up again circumvents this.

Well, yeah, but who's gonna be patient enough for that?

So... do World of Light unlocks carry on to the main game?

If so... I guess I found my way of doing things.

Yes but that's going to be waaaaaaay slower than supposedly cheesing a timer sixty or so times with rebooting, if what I'm hearing about the length of World of Light is correct.

Gamefreak75 said:
Not a fan of putting in characters who never appeared on a Nintendo system (no Persona Q2 doesn't count), but at least it won't be as wasteful an opportunity as Cloud was...hopefully.

May this means Persona 5 will be ported over too, I guess.

Also this pretty much kills the possibility of Banadana Dee considering Reggie's comments. Very disappointing.
Yeah obviously him appearing in games on Nintendo system doesn't count
I mean come on
just because he's the main character of a game on a Nintendo system
doesn't mean he's a character whose been on a nintendo system
I mean come on.

Isabelle said:
So... do World of Light unlocks carry on to the main game?
Yes, but it is slower. That is going to be my primary way of unlocking characters.

Okay, I'm not a fan of Splatoon, but I adore how Inkling plays, unexpectedly going to be a regular user of her. I like covering Wario entirely with purple paint and how he dies quicker due to that in 8-player Smash, to the point where he often does terribly because I target him as Inkling and my sister and my CPU teammates make short work of him.

saltypepper said:
as an avid persona 5 fan i must say like all the others, oh my god please just give it to me now.

also persona 5 remixes???

personally id rather they just add the persona soundtrack as is, i cant imagine any remix topping whats already in the game

I don't have the game yet, but I'm learning about some of the spirits and some of these are insane.
The sheer audacity at the Paz (from MGS) spirit is simultaneously the best and worst thing ever.

Fantastic game, having a great time with it

It feels like it's gonna have much more longevity than the last game to me just because there's no strange omissions in stages or characters, and half the good content isn't tucked away on another console. I held back on buying any dlc last game just cause I hadn't gotten into it all that much, so having all of it for free in this game is supremely satisfying on my part

Smashdown and the tag team mode are cool additions, but
it's kind of sad how most stadium events got cut and all-star mode might be an endless gang rush? I haven't beat it yet so I could be wrong but thats how it looks right now. Also wish tag team mode supported more than two players, that seems like an odd limit given how many players are supported everywhere else in the game

I haven't even done any spirits stuff yet, I've just been playing classic and vs modes to unlock all the characters for online. I've actually enjoyed unlocking everyone, it's just satisfying to me to look at the expanding roster and know I had to beat everyone on the list to use them. It helps you appreciate the characters one by one better, and got me to try out some new faces. When I started Smash 4, I saw the sheer list of newcomers and felt it easier to just stay in my comfort zone of characters.

Please like this post to let me know I'm a huge piece of shit for enjoying the unlocking. (though I'd agree an easy unlock-everyone method or at least an official guide on how to unlock specific characters would've been a good idea)

Right now, having played just vs matches and the side games, my only complaint is that there's no alternate menu music. It just doesn't make any sense to me when they ported like all of the older game's osts over. This theme is great and all but when you play the game all day like I did yesterday, it gets a bit much to start listening to again and again inbetween fights and pissing around the menus, looking for something fresh to try.

But anyway 9/10 would get dlc this time

everyones going nuts over Joker and I'm sitting here, barely ever heard of persona in my life :luma:

Unlocking characters was a chore. Preferred rules are inconsistent. Rest of the game is good, but I think people calling it Smash 4.5 aren't wrong. 4.5/5 would recommend. First DLC choice is nutty but I have no attachment in the series or character choice so I'm not really interested.

Battlefield forms is the greatest addition. I've just got 1 song cranked to max for each stage so I'm always getting good music when i pick random battlefield.

Not really a fan of picking the stage before characters. Is there any way to change that or am I just going to have to deal with it?

My first spirit for playing the game was best character Daruk.

Gamefreak75 said:
Not really a fan of picking the stage before characters. Is there any way to change that or am I just going to have to deal with it?
Agreed, a change like that should've been made back in Melee if they were going to change it. By now the order of selection is an afterthought for many of us, and I personally don't play competitively enough to care about how it impacts the competitive scene, I at least want the option to use the classic order.

Gamefreak75 said:

doesn't look like it, it's hard to get used to

I wish the rules could be changed more easily once in character select

holy shit i just played rosalina in classic mode and

wtf marx????
dude
that was crazy

Back