Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Smash has always referenced the anime. All the Pokémon have their anime voices and Jigglypuff and Mewtwo in particular are based on their anime counterparts. Same with Lucario being able to speak.

Oh yeah... maybe I just meant that regarding movesets, it always seemed like they were referencing the games...

I can still hope though.

I'm thinking more of the kind of game they would've went for if Smash Ultimate wasn't "Everyone is here!"

Tbh it would be fun to speculate about who would make it as part of the roster there.

Lucario said:
I'm thinking more of the kind of game they would've went for if Smash Ultimate wasn't "Everyone is here!"

Tbh it would be fun to speculate about who would make it as part of the roster there.

I'd prefer the roster to have distinctive characters who played significant roles in their original games. Paula from EarthBound would be a great candidate, even if Ness had to be given new special moves (on that matter, it's criminal that Paula is merely reduced to a brief appearance for Ness's Final Smash). Perhaps, if the next Super Smash Bros. game didn't pander to competitive players, Paula and some potential newcomers would finally get the respect and due they deserve, but it just won't happen. :(

That's probably because if you get Paula in, you'd probably have to go through a lot of other games to look for characters that have played an equally important role in their games. And there's just too much of those that some wouldn't make sense.

It's like saying if Paper Mario makes it, Koops will have to be included. I'd say Paula and any other character who appear in Final Smashes are in their rightful place.

I've already discussed this before in a couple of places, but I agree with the vision of the few other people that we'll end up with a Thanos-snapped roster, with some refined or new gameplay mechanics, for a potentially new director for the series. A lot of people have been saying to literally cut the number in half, but that would still be over thirty characters so I can't really see that. Maybe somewhere in size between Melee and Brawl's roster?

That being said, I think this supposed series reboot is going to be far into the future if it happens. They aren't just going to want to toss away a game this huge all that quickly. I'd take a gander and say that after DLC is done for this game, we're going to be sitting around for a long while before somebody takes up the reins.

Rin Nelek said:
Perhaps, if the next Super Smash Bros. game didn't pander to competitive players, Paula and some potential newcomers would finally get the respect and due they deserve, but it just won't happen. :(
What does that have to do with anything? Anything that's "pandering" to competitive players (and I wouldn't use that term at all), would be mechanics stuff like the directional air dodge, faster gameplay, and the punishing for rolling too much. And these changes are good for everyone, not just competitive players.

Yeah tbh, I don't feel like I wanna be a competitive player, yet what this game is doing seems like it's really wanting to please me as much as possible.

Rin Nelek said:
Lucario said:

I'd prefer the roster to have distinctive characters who played significant roles in their original games. Paula from EarthBound would be a great candidate, even if Ness had to be given new special moves (on that matter, it's criminal that Paula is merely reduced to a brief appearance for Ness's Final Smash). Perhaps, if the next Super Smash Bros. game didn't pander to competitive players, Paula and some potential newcomers would finally get the respect and due they deserve, but it just won't happen. :(
Yeah those goddamn competitive players and there classic hatred of Paula how dare they screw such a worthy character.

Honoka's #5 Fan said:
Rin Nelek said:
Lucario said:

Yeah those goddang competitive players and there classic hatred of Paula how dare they screw such a worthy character.

:eek: Anyway, since I heard that adding Lucas to the roster was apparently a mistake on Masahiro Sakurai's part, Paula should've joined the roster from Super Smash Bros. Brawl onwards. Lucas, meanwhile, would be demoted to an Assist Trophy, where he could cast PK Love, dealing heavy damage to nearby opponents. Oh, well. There's always next time, I guess, so don't give your hopes up.

Rin Nelek said:
Honoka's #5 Fan said:
Rin Nelek said:
Lucario said:

Yeah those goddang competitive players and there classic hatred of Paula how dare they screw such a worthy character.

:eek: Anyway, since I heard that adding Lucas to the roster was apparently a mistake on Masahiro Sakurai's part, Paula should've joined the roster from Super Smash Bros. Brawl onwards. Lucas, meanwhile, would be demoted to an Assist Trophy, where he could cast PK Love, dealing heavy damage to nearby opponents. Oh, well. There's always next time, I guess, so don't give your hopes up.
It wasn't. Closest to that was Sakurai thinking of replacing Ness with Lucas in the Melee roster, but dropped those plans when Earthbound 64 got scrapped. Lucas got in Brawl due to Mother 3's release.
And I doubt adding a supporting character from Earthbound is worth cutting the protagonist of a different game.

Deku said:
What does that have to do with anything? Anything that's "pandering" to competitive players (and I wouldn't use that term at all), would be mechanics stuff like the directional air dodge, faster gameplay, and the punishing for rolling too much. And these changes are good for everyone, not just competitive players.
I think the takeaway is that if the developers weren't spending so much resources tweaking the game mechanics and promoting whatever competitiveness it has, they'd have the resources to make characters and all. I mean, I know there's a lot of things you can dispute about it, as I do, but yeah, don't want to misunderstand or resort to snide remarks on a potential misunderstanding.

Princess Mario said:
Deku said:
I think the takeaway is that if the developers weren't spending so much resources tweaking the game mechanics and promoting whatever competitiveness it has, they'd have the resources to make characters and all. I mean, I know there's a lot of things you can dispute about it, as I do, but yeah, don't want to misunderstand or resort to snide remarks on a potential misunderstanding.
Sorry if I came off as snarky, I was just wondering how a more casual focus would suddenly mean Paula would be in.

I don't think you were being snarky. Seems more like genuine questions.

And I don't know how a "casual" focus would be either. I think we should be focused on good game mechanics as well as trying out new ideas. I don't think those changes are necessarily competitive either. Stale dodging is good for both casual and competitive; neither like roll spam. Directional air dodging is a new thing that I think both parties can also enjoy. Faster gameplay, mmm, not sure, never tried the game yet. But anyhow, my point stands. And even if the developers are allocating resources for tweaking game mechanics, it doesn't necessarily mean those resources being used automatically can translate to a new character, who also needs its own tweaking and all. Also, game balance and the game ART are the responsibilities of two different teams. I'm not sure how budget works, but people who make the model, texture it, rig it, animate it, are a different group of people from the ones that input hitboxes, gravity, hurt boxes, animation speeds, frame canceling, that other stuff.

Rin Nelek said:
Lucario said:

Do you mean that they won't add Paula because they would have to change Ness's moveset which would upset competitive players? I'm not sure if I agree with that, but I'd like to know if that's what you meant.

New song is Flash Man's stage from Mega Man 2.

The remix is good, but it's another song from a series with music on the site already. Makes me worried some series are just going to get shafted and get jack shit in terms of new tracks.

Managed to listen to it before YouTube went down for me, lol

Wouldn't expect anything less from Keiichi Okabe (Nier: Automata's composer).

Hopefully they're saving the ones from series that haven't appeared yet until the game releases. Can't wait for Magicant Ver. 2, Corneria Ver. 2, Underworld Ver. 2 etc.

So about all that, Sakurai said they pretty much let the composers pick whatever songs they want to remix. He even mentioned there was on composer in particular who remixed a ton of Fire Emblem music because he liked it so much. So blame the composers for simply not wanting to remix Star Fox music for example.

On the topic of music though, with Nintendo's permission, the menu theme has been released.

I feel like I am a better person after listening to this music

Back