What do we do with Super Smash Bros?

TheFlameChomp said:
I agree with this, along with keeping item articles, though I don't see an issue with having pages on recurring bosses such as Master Hand and Crazy Hand.
I'm fine with keeping Master Hand and Crazy Hand as their own articles, it's mostly the one-time SSE bosses I'm thinking of merging.

Pot of Greed said:
Also, I'm sorry if this has been brought up and I missed it, but has it been decided what we're doing with articles like Sticker (Super Smash Bros. Brawl) or List of trophies in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, because for the record I'm happy to keep them, or at least these specific examples.

I personally wouldn't have a problem with keeping those articles.

Also, how would this affect our coverage of companies (such as Sora Ltd.) and people (such as Pat Cashman) that are only relevant to the Wiki because of the Super Smash Bros. games?

TheFlameChomp said:
Time Turner said:
  • Fighters: Keep.
  • Stages: Keep.
  • Items: Keep.
  • Enemies (Subspace, Smash Run, etc.): Merge.
  • Bosses: Merge.
  • Assist Trophies: Merge.
  • Pokémon: Merge.
  • Moves: Merge.

I agree with this, along with keeping item articles, though I don't see an issue with having pages on recurring bosses such as Master Hand and Crazy Hand.

YFJ said:
Also, I think outright DELETING Pokémon would be best.

I don't feel that we should completely delete Pokémon, as they are very similar to Assist Trophies, and I don't feel it would make sense to completely remove them just because they had nothing to do with Mario, when many items, Assist Trophies, and stages aren't from the Mario franchise either.

I agree with this.

The proposal passed! This means that things are happening. Blocky and I plan to do plenty of work ourselves, but at the same time, the project is open to anyone who is fine with chipping in. To sum everything that will change:

To state the obvious, none of the Mario elements are being merged. This includes the special moves that are unique to Smash. To be honest, I think that getting the proposal off the ground was the hard part; now that we're past that hurdle, we just need to do the dirty work.

This isn't the end, though! There are still pockets of discussion to be had, such as with the Subspace Emissary Levels (Category:Subspace Emissary Levels) or Metal Luigi. Although our focus will be on what's already passed, it wouldn't hurt to get the ball rolling once more.

Time Turner said:
Merge the Assist Trophy Characters (Category:Assist Trophy Characters) to Assist Trophy
On the face of it, there's not too much "merging" to be done - the descriptions already on Assist Trophy seem adequate. The bigger question is about edge-case stuff like Midna - she's there primarily as an assist trophy, but she's also there on the Wolf Link Mystery Mushroom costume in Super Mario Maker (and the up-button sound effect is her giggle), Mr. Resetti (cameos in MK8 in place of a Monty Mole on the Animal Crossing track), the odd thing that's appeared in the likes of WarioWare (e.g., Nintendog), etc.

EDIT: Okay, done nearly all of it - someone else can do the majority of the relinking and check some of the borderline cases/etc. As I said in an edit summary, I'm having a "That was a featured article?" reaction to Assist Trophy characters, I presume it was featured *before* SSB4 came out and never revisited. Still needs work, IMO.

Reboot said:
Time Turner said:
Merge the Assist Trophy Characters (Category:Assist Trophy Characters) to Assist Trophy
On the face of it, there's not too much "merging" to be done - the descriptions already on Assist Trophy seem adequate. The bigger question is about edge-case stuff like Midna - she's there primarily as an assist trophy, but she's also there on the Wolf Link Mystery Mushroom costume in Super Mario Maker (and the up-button sound effect is her giggle), Mr. Resetti (cameos in MK8 in place of a Monty Mole on the Animal Crossing track), the odd thing that's appeared in the likes of WarioWare (e.g., Nintendog), etc.
For the moment, it's best to err on the side of caution as you've done. I'm not entirely sure how to go about Midna and the Nintendog; Resetti can sneak by because of his MK appearance, but neither the SMM costumes nor the WarioWare microgames have been used as substantial justifications for separate articles. I'm not sure if the Smash appearances are enough to justify separate articles.

Edit: Also something to keep in mind: redirects should not have categories if said categories also fit into the page they're being redirected to. That's really clunky, so to use Isaac as an example, the "Humans" and "Characters from other Nintendo games" categories are valid because they do not apply to the Assist Trophy page, but the "Super Smash Bros. Brawl Trophies" is not valid because it's already on the Assist Trophy page.

Judging by the proposal, Smash Run enemies are to be merged into their own separate list. So I'd merge the Subspace ones into the Subspace army and only talk about their role in the Subspace Emissary, and also merge them into a Smash Run enemy list where the stuff on their role in that game is discussed.

Duskull said:
Judging by the proposal, Smash Run enemies are to be merged into their own separate list. So I'd merge the Subspace ones into the Subspace army and only talk about their role in the Subspace Emissary, and also merge them into a Smash Run enemy list where the stuff on their role in that game is discussed.
The thing about that is that you're splitting them across two pages in a non-obvious way. If we were going the whole hog and just merging everything to "List of Super Smash Bros. enemies", I would understand getting rid of those pages. But splitting it across Subspace Army/List of Smash Run enemies feels like a bad idea.

How about just turn the redirect into a disambig?

I'll agree with merging their voice actors merged, yes.

Sure.

Maybe I missed something (I was less active during the Smash Run enemy merge), but is there a reason why enemies like Waddle Dee and Starman are still separate articles? The only reason seems to be because they have roles other than Smash Run, but pages like Koffing and the enemies found in both Subspace and Smash Run seemed to have been split off no problem. On a related topic, unless Time Turner or anyone else is planning on doing it, I'm planning on starting a proposal on what to do with Smash Bros. subjects that still currently have separate articles but have made minor appearances outside of Smash Bros. (e.g. Nintendog).

Also Smash-related: does anyone also have an opinion on this (Talk:Stage#Trim)?

JC said:
Maybe I missed something (I was less active during the Smash Run enemy merge), but is there a reason why enemies like Waddle Dee and Starman are still separate articles? The only reason seems to be because they have roles other than Smash Run, but pages like Koffing and the enemies found in both Subspace and Smash Run seemed to have been split off no problem.
That's totally my bad. I left some pages until the very end where all the info was already dotted around on all the relevant pages, and I guess a few slipped through. Send 'em to the chopping block.

JC said:
On a related topic, unless Time Turner or anyone else is planning on doing it, I'm planning on starting a proposal on what to do with Smash Bros. subjects that still currently have separate articles but have made minor appearances outside of Smash Bros. (e.g. Nintendog).
No plans from me at the moment. Although I'm curious what the proposal's about: what constitutes a "minor appearance"?

JC said:
Also Smash-related: does anyone also have an opinion on this (Talk:Stage#Trim)?
Yeah, I'm in favor of taking a note from Retro Course's (Retro Course) page.

No need for descriptions in these lists, the image thumbnail does exactly the job it's set out to do.

Back