why bowser is great

Lord Bowser

listen
Banned User
so i wanted to make this a shroom section but im bad at writing shroom sections so ill post this here instead lol,

ANYWAY

tl;dr lots of bowser propaganda below, u better read it fams :bowser:

it's common knowledge that bowser is great. he's one of the more exciting members of the main cast, being intimidating and cunning but also showing a softer and more humorous side at times, particularly in the rpgs. however, like most other characters, he didn't just become like this out of the blue; he evolved into the lovable koopa we know now over a long time. therefore, i wanted to detail this evolution for all of you, so it can be made clear why bowser is great. i'll be covering as many aspects of this evolution as i can, in multiple parts, so buckle up, buckaroos.

i wanted to bring focus to the evolution of his physical appearance first, as that is both the most familiar aspect of him and he's gone through quite a few changes over time. his very first design, featured in super mario bros, had him like this;

Bowser_and_Peach_original_SMB.png
BowserSMBart.png

he very clearly looks different from his modern design; blue skin, yellow hair, black eyebrows (???), and a fully green shell and belly. honestly, this looks more like a recolored oc of bowser rather than actual bowser. what i find interesting, however, is that within artwork of the exact same game, he goes through a visual redesign; the artwork on the left shows him looking kind of like... an ox? a gorilla??? ganondorf????? but not like the bowser we all know and love. the artwork on the right, however, looks much closer to bowser's modern design, just off-color. the artists at the time must've also thought bowser's original original design was kinda dumb-looking, so they made new artwork using a more appealing design. what i'm curious of, though, is why they decided to go with blue skin at first... it seems very unnatural now, but it does kinda fit the old quirky style. maybe this is where the whole "blue bowser is bowser's brother" thing came from? maybe smb bowser wasn't even bowser at all???

really makes u think

anyway, moving on; his smb sprite.

II0QRbF.png

obviously, limitations of the nes meant that he couldn't exactly look very bowser-y, but what i find interesting about it is how drastically different he looks from his smb artwork in his sprite, and instead somewhat resembles his modern colors more. even more unusual is that in the lost levels, there's a sprite of bowser (or blue bowser or pink gold bowser or whatever the hell nintendo comes up with next) that more resembles the bowser shown in smb's official artwork;

ksVXMvG.png

according to the wiki, the different-colored sprite is from the palette swap given to most enemies in underground/castle levels, but still... why was this not given to bowser in smb? it would've made more sense there to give him a bluish sprite since his smb artwork depicted him with blue skin, but instead we got a green sprite.

its unusual that the bluish sprite was only given to him in lost levels, where he has updated artwork that resembles his modern design;

Bowser_SMBLL_flyer_cropped.png
Lostlevelbowser.png
Smbll_bowser.png

here, they updated bowser's design to resemble his modern one much more closely, at least with colors. his skin is darker and his chains are lighter than they are now, and the claws on his toes are oddly colored, at least in the middle picture (why the discrepancy there? artist's oversight?). there's another weird thing about his art here; the left picture has his eyes colored blue, while the middle and right pictures, along with his smb artwork, have his eyes colored red. this is a semi-frequent discrepancy in earlier artworks of bowser, which i find interesting; maybe they wanted to give him a slightly less evil look back then?

anyway, the green sprite from smb would be much more fitting to use for bowser here, but the weird thing is that it was used... for the false bowsers fought in the castles in worlds 1-7. when they're defeated with fireballs, they turn into enemies, revealing that they were fakes the whole time. meanwhile, the real bowser in world 8-4 used the blue sprite, and doesnt turn into an enemy when defeated with fireballs; the same thing applies to the bowser fought in world 9-3. maybe the artwork made for bowser here is actually of the false bowsers, and the real bowser kept his design from smb? perhaps the blue sprite was meant to tell us that, and not just to distinguish the real bowser from the fake ones...

just a Game Theory™

moving on to smb3.

CapeBowserSMB3.png

this beta artwork of bowser has an element that i really wish would return; bowser wearing a cape. i feel like the cape amplifies the regal aspect of bowser; he is king bowser koopa after all, and the cape really helps to highlight the "king" part of the title. cape aside, however, this beta design seems to be like a hybrid of his smb and his lost levels artwork; the color of his skin and shell resemble lost levels, while his eyebrows are black again and his hair is partly yellow. also, one of the bands on his belly seems to be miscolored; another oversight? and finally, like that one lost levels artwork, his eyes are blue again.

his non-beta artworks seem to keep the blue eyes, along with some other interesting aspects;

SMB3_Bowser.png
Bowsersmb3.png

here, he goes back to a color scheme similar to lost levels, resembling his modern design. what i find interesting about them, however, is how different they look in comparison to the other artworks we've seen. in the other artworks, bowser looks angry and intimidating, but here, he honestly seems... kinda cute, lol. in the left picture, his eyes imply that he's happy while his pose makes him look as if he's skipping or frolicking, while in the right picture, his intimidating pose is offset by his eyes and stature; the blue eyes coupled with white highlights make him seem almost innocent, while he looks rather short and chubby. the more cute style of his smb3 artwork could be a result of smb3 being all a stage play (at least according to nintendo); perhaps this artwork is of an actor in a bowser costume? it would explain the change in his eye color, at least.

moving on to his smb3 sprites;

9a0sHjX.png
VSpCLQc.png

i really like his smb3 sprites. they made him really resemble bowser, even with nes limitations working against them. even compared to his modern design, his smb3 sprite is still pretty accurate with things such as color, size, positioning, etc. they're great sprites for their time and for now.

and finally, for now at least, super mario world's artwork.

BowserSMW1.png
SMWBowser.jpg

smw goes back to a more "evil" design from smb and ll, and gets his red eyes back. the picture on the left seems to be a favorite for nintendo, as it has been reused and updated in other titles recently, as shown here

Bowser_colouring_book1.png
BowserNSMBWii.png

as you can see, smw bowser looks fairly close to his modern design, only he's somewhat chubbier and lacks detail on his horns and the spikes on his shell. the artwork on the right, however, actually looks strikingly similar to his modern 2d designs. even his spiked bracelets look more accurate to his modern design; black rather than gray. the only things off about this design in comparison to modern design are the colors of his horns and spikes; everything else seems to hold well to this day. in all, i like his artwork here; they serve as a good precursor to modern bowser, and i hope one day we get something a la sonic generations where modern bowser and classic bowser meet up and work together

his smw SPRITE however is a much different story...

uKdB641.png

honestly it

looks awful

god

kill it

idk how they thought this sprite looked good... it looks absolutely nothing like the artwork, it's completely off color, a lot of detail seems to have been lost... it's just honestly a really ugly sprite. i guess it might be based on bowser's all-green design from the cartoons??? still though... ew. smw had otherwise decent sprites, but they really dropped the ball on bowser in my opinion. i really don't think this was due to snes limitations, as the all stars ports of smb/ll/smb3 all had pretty nice-looking sprites of bowser;

JuCwzXC.png
8Ubqfen.png

i just... what went on in their heads, lol... at least this design of bowser wasn't reused in any future games. a lot of characters seem to have an ugly experimental phase, and clearly, bowser is no exception. but hey, at least his artwork is great!

that's enough rambling on and on about bowser from me for now, but i'll continue this diatribe Soon™ with other bowser artworks. stay tuned for more bowser propaganda from lb himself :bowser:

his sprite for the smw skin in mario maker is uglier

this is the quality content i come here for 10/10

good job lb, can't wait for the cute part :bowjr:

Lord Bowser said:
ksVXMvG.png

according to the wiki, the different-colored sprite is from the palette swap given to most enemies in underground/castle levels, but still... why was this not given to bowser in smb? it would've made more sense there to give him a bluish sprite since his smb artwork depicted him with blue skin, but instead we got a green sprite.
...is this where his smash bros alt came from holy shit

Merry Sithmas said:
Lord Bowser said:
ksVXMvG.png

...is this where his smash bros alt came from holy shit
yup

smash 4 in-game tips said:
A Bowser Impostor?! In Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels, Mario fights a blue fake Bowser before the real thing. That blue fake is his eighth color in this game!

https://www.models-resource.com/search/?q=bowser

go crazy

You want propaganda an analysis of 3d models of my favorite character's most persistent enemy... will charge money for it. :P

Pretty good so far. It'll be interesting when you reach Super Mario RPG and everything after that where you can start talking about his personality. Just a few things to note:

• Bowser's Ox-ish appearance on the Japanese SMB1 box art is due to Miyamoto himself drawing that box-art. At the time, Miyamoto designed Bowser as a homage to the Ox-King from an anime version of Journey to the West. Takashi Tezuka later pointed out that an Ox ruling turtles didn't make sense (Bowser's wiki page has more info on that).
  • A recall reading somewhere that Bowser's design in the cartoons was based on his original Super Mario Bros sprite (explaining why he looks so different there), same with Peach/Toadstool. I think Bowser's appearance they may have been a palette or spriting error since the GBA version recolors his body to be more accurate

But other than that, good job. Part of me wonders if the Blue Bowser thing is a similar situation to Kirby and Keeby.

You know I had considered making something like this a while back but I figured people had already gotten enough Bowser wank from me already.

Do we need a reason to say why Bowser’s great?

Mcmadness said:
You know I had considered making something like this a while back but I figured people had already gotten enough Bowser wank from me already.

could you even get enough bowser wank

He looks like a badass.

But at the same time, I can confirm what Koops said.

Koops said:
Do we need a reason to say why Bowser’s great?
You need evidence for a claim if you want to put it on the wiki, so this evidence will allow us to add an entire section to the Bowser article about how great he is.

Well if there’s that.

Sarcasm aside, hair and shell do show some coolness. Also gangsta outfit Bowser? Also he has a
japanese temple?

Baby Luigi said:
could you even get enough bowser wank

I can confirm that yes some people can in fact get enough Bowser wank.

Not me though.

Mcmadness said:
if they'd got enough, they'd let you know and if they don't say it, then it's their problem, not yours

LB - Today at 2:44 PM
anyway i meant to write more bowser propaganda
get ready for volume 2 of "lb publicly jacks off to bowser"

it's ok, im only 9 and a half hours late

there isnt much other artwork of bowser from the snes era, but there's one image of him from super mario kart i find real cute-looking;

MKBowser.PNG

unlike most of his past artwork, where he's shown to be intimidating or angry, here he seems to take a more cute approach, similar to smb3's art; he's covering his head in presumably a defensive maneuver against all the items in the game. its almost like he's saying "nooooo please dont hurt me :(", which i find to be a nice departure from his aggressive style and a cute touch to him. i wish we had more artwork of bowser like this, since while his big and scary intimidating artwork is cool and all, it gets a little boring after a while... it's nice to see something that's not that.

onto his smk sprite;

jwH12cu.gif

spinny bowz

it's a pretty decent sprite. his hair is a bit long and his legs are fatter compared to his modern design, but for its time it's accurate. there's also one very interesting thing about this sprite; bowser's shell. this is the first time bowser's shell is shown with hexagonal plates rather than just a simple texture, or no texture at all. these plates would later return in bowser's modern 3d designs. i find it interesting that these plates, which very rarely appear in bowser's 2d artwork/sprites, first appeared in a 2d sprite found in a spin-off; just thought it was a neat fact when i first noticed it. i feel a likely reason for this was that, due to the nature of how smk plays, we'd be seeing the backside of bowser (or any character, really) for the vast majority of the time spent playing the game, so the designers gave him these plates to add a little variety and not just have a solid green shell. it would also make sense from a real-world standpoint, seeing as real-life turtles have hexagonal scales on their shells as well;

turtle.jpg

regardless, it's a good touch that i'm glad has stayed in the long run. bowser's smk sprite is much better than whatever the hell smw did with bowser's sprite, but even smw isnt as bad as the next game...

smrpg.

Smrpg_bowser.gif

someone please destroy this satanic creation

why is this so BAD

his face is way too lumpy, his claws are way too long, his spikes and horns are way too yellow, and dont even get me started on his sprites

kDV9P7o.png

this looks like someone just randomly threw pixels down on a canvas and it coincidentally happened to somewhat resemble bowser and the smrpg design theme though "eh good enough"

god like

i know smrpg is just fuckin ugly in general but what the fucking hell did they do to bowser holy shit

mario and peach look actually decent but bowser looks like satan spawn and i cant stand it

maybe hes just having a rough time in puberty

real talk though, why did they randomly give bowser giant-ass claws when they were more like pointy fingernails in earlier artwork and nowhere near this length before??? i mean i get artistic liberty but god this just looks revolting honestly. definitely a contender for worst bowser artwork. at least they never went back to this graphical style again

and now we move on to the n64 era, starting with super mario 64.

SM64_Mario_Swings_Bowser.png
SM64Bowser1.png
SM64Bowser2.png

sm64 was the first time that character artwork was rendered in 3d for the first time (i refuse to consider smrpg). every character looked a lot more different and detailed and generally lifelike, and bowser was no exception. the n64 era was one of bowser's last designs before the switch to his modern design, and i say the era and not just sm64 because nearly all of the 3d artwork released during this time used almost this same design of bowser;

Yoshi_and_Bowser_MK64.png
Bowsergolf2.png
BowserParty3.jpg

they all seem to keep the same things; orange textured skin, textured head, and a kinda "shiny" look from all the lighting (which i personally don't like since it makes him look like plastic lol).

unfortunately, the games also used almost the same model of him too..............

BowserSM64.png
BowserPartyDance.gif

i want to go back to smrpg

like i know i know this was the first time models were used the technology was simpler etc etc but GOD this looks like sin

i cant take bowser seriously at all when he looks like this. he looks more hilarious than intimidating. his skin texture looks more like sponge than scales, his hair is like a cone instead of a mohawk, everything is just so blocky and ugly and just hhhhhhhhh

awful awful awful

evolution is not always a beautiful process, kids. but don't worry, we're almost at the bowser we all know and love.

departing from the n64 games, there's some more interesting 2d artwork from games released around the same time. first off, i'd like to show this promotional artwork of him playing the game boy.

Bowser_Game_Boy.png

this is the complete opposite of earlier artworks of bowser; instead of showing him as tough, angry, and violent, he's clearly upset at simply a game. it's completely against the standard of "bowser = raeg" that was set at the time, and i really like this kind of art for that. it shows bowser is more nuanced and emotional than just simply "i want peach lol", and helps develop his character a little more; for instance, we can gather from this picture that he tends to get upset easily at games, something i'm sure many of us can relate to at times. looking at you, mk8...

here's another artwork, this time from tetris attack, a semi-obscure snes/game boy game from 1996;

Bowser_TA.png

similar to the game boy art above, this artwork is another departure from the standard at the time, though for a different reason. bowser was often drawn as tough and resilient at the time, as we all know, but here, it not only shows him beaten, but also injured. this again shows some nuance in his character i feel, as he's shown to have lapses in performance in games such as this, instead of just some final boss guy to beat eventually.

next, here's an art from game & watch gallery, released for the game boy in 1997;

Gnwgroupart.png

the artwork here shows him not competing against his rivals, but rather getting in on the fun, cheering on mario of all people while playing the game. he still has a bit of his more aggressive personality showing by pushing down luigi's head, but this is still a side of bowser rarely seen in media at the time. i like these kinds of arts that show him having fun with mario and friends, because it lets me know that the whole cast can still get along despite bowser almost always being the bad guy. peach and mario are not even showing concern at the fact that bowser is literally right there, and are instead focused on the game, despite bowser's repeated kidnappings of peach; i see this as a display of friendship among them, which i really do like.

and finally, for now at least, some art from game & watch gallery 2.

SceneGW2.png

i really like this artwork! bowser tickling a toad and both of them laughing over it is super cute and i cant get enough of it omg

i also really like the group harmony vibe this picture gives off. mario's fierce rivals -- bowser, dk, and wario -- all hanging out with his trusted friends -- peach, toad, and yoshi (tfw no luigi) -- is such a nice departure from the status quo and i really like seeing them all get along. no factions, no fighting, just everyone having a good time with each other regardless of their backgrounds. it's a great pic and it's one of my favorite group artworks honestly, lol. the illustrators of this game deserve props for making good art like this.

anyway, that's enough for now. whenever i don't take hours to stop being distracted and write again, i'll cover the rpg's takes on bowser's design and his final transition to his modern design. stay tuned :bowser:

The jump to 3D was usually awkward. Just compare Earthbound 64 to Mother 3. Basically what I'm saying is that SMRPG Bowser is a gud boy and he's just doing his best.

You bring up an interesting point regarding the artwork around this time too: It seems that the N64 era was around the time Nintendo started shifting Bowser towards a more goofy/light-hearted villain angle. The artwork, as you mentioned, was less usually angry/evil, Mario Party would go on to make Bowser more petty (and that's not mentioning Mario Party 3's solo mode), and Paper Mario had a prototypical version of Bowser's modern personality (which TTYD would refine). It seems like they kept this image going into the gamecube era between Sunshine and Bowser's trophy celebration in Power Tennis (among other things).

Considering all of that I can now see what Sakurai meant when he said that he based Bowser's melee portrayal and especially Giga Bowser on his original perception of Bowser.

Actually, the first part of Bowser's story is a bit different and complex and fascinating, I'm waiting for Kotabe's book so I'll hopefully have more info to share. For the moment, some details:

Bowser_and_Peach_original_SMB.png

As ThatGuy62 said, this is the original artwork of bowser, drawn by Miyamoto. It was inspired by an Ox king, so it was posssibly both a turtle and an ox. Fast forward a few months and you'll see Yoichi Kotabe and Takashi Tezuka working on this:
Bowser_Koopalings_sketch_cropped.png

Attempts at the first redesign! You can already see an appearance similar to the final one, especially on the sketch behind!The ending result of this are these sketches:
Kotabe_Kuppa_Illustrations.png

As you can see, these are not colored, and indeed they were colored differently depending on when they were reused! But let's see the first time they were actually used: Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
SMB_TLL_Title.jpg

Wowza! Blue eyes! Yep, he had blue eyes after his first redesign, as this 1986 new year's card showed:
Kuppa_Kinopio_New_Year_Gift_1986.jpg

and this promotional flyer of SMBTLL confirmed:
SMBLL_flyer.jpg

But where does this come from?
BowserSMBart.png

Simple, a Super Mario Bros. themed figurine set!
s-l1600.jpg

They resued Kotabe's artwork with SMB colors!

So, to sum it up: after his redesign , his familiar red hair and red eyebrows came, but with blue eyes. What happened then with SMB3? The oddity:
Main_cast_scene_SMB3.jpg

Still blue eyes, but this time the yellow hair and black eyebrows of his SMB design! This is the official artwork of the game, the manual also had something like this:
SMB3_Bowser.png

It's the edited Kotabe's artwork, this time with closed eyes. He talks about how his children will introduce the mechanics of the game, so he's a bit less menacing than usual! Plus, this time he has the usual red hair and eyebrows

Nintendo Power also got some artwork likely made by other artists since they are not in the Japanese Nintendo Official Guidebooks:
CapeBowserSMB3.png

This one, from a Nintendo Power article on SMB3, was made faithful to his design in the group artwork.

Bowsersmb3.png

This one, from the Nintendo Power SMB3 guide, was isntead faithful to the most recent depiction of Bowser. Still blue eyes of course: in Super Mario Bros. 3 Bowser still had them!

Bowser's return to red eyes happened with Super Mario World. The Japanese manual had this scene (but with better text placement!):
SMWPic.jpg

While this famous artwork was used only in the North American manual at the time:
BowserSMW1.png

Fun fact, the Japanese Nintendo Official Guidebook of Super Mario World freqeuntly used artwork in which Bowser had blue eyes!

After that, things proceded pretty much as you said.

By the way, this also means that much of the artwork of Bowser based on Kotabe's uncolored images on the wiki needs a source, as the same Kotabe artwork was reused in various different contexts with a lot of different colors, so the image itself without context isn't enough to atrribute it to a certain game!

If you’ve played Super Mario Odyssey,
Mario just leaves Bowser on the moon to die—without regrets! This really made me loathe Mario (the character, not the games). Even worse, as far as we know, Bowser never leaves!

Uh, he's the badguy. Of course he's going to get left behind.

Also dudes got like what, a gazillion airships? He'll be fine.

Back