What characters do you want for Smash?

Oh boy, this is active again. Piranha Plant: Would you main them?

• Show our leafy lord and savior some respect! / Heck yea!

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • They're a cool addition, but probably not.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Nani? Bakana!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I MIGHT not, we'll have to wait and see.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope. It's a stupid addition.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • *Insert long copypasta about how the Grinch Leak was false.*

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I honestly have no opinion on this.

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
f-zero gx has a story mode where captain falcon literally races god himself and he's super cocky about it too

"Come off it! You think you can beat me? No way!"

Granted, there's not much to go off of but he's much less hammy in GX than he is in Smash. For the most part.

Baby Luigi said:
For Captain Toad not jumping, it's not difficult to create liberties in order for him to get him working properly in Sm4sh. Just because he can't jump in the games, doesn't mean he can't be playable in Smash. The developers will find other ways to emphasis his lack of jumping skills in the games, such as making have poor air mobility or a low jump height instead.
Besides, Captain Toad is a Mystery Mushroom costume in Super Mario Maker, so they already had an inconsistent portrayal with him being able to jump (even though I guess that's really Mario in a costume but that doesn't make a difference). Doing it again won't hurt.

It's a good thing that Daisy has been shown to be very potent at jumping. In fact giving her a proper third jump can open up some interesting special combos and normal combos if combined with her whole floral theme. It could make her the queen of fast falling, vertical air combos.

Captain Toad's case, however, is that his game is built all around that being unable to jump. Captain Falcon can take the creative liberty, not sure if Captain Toad has that sort of wiggle room. But hey, I won't mind him jumping. I'm more concerned that developers don't want him in because they can't work around a constraint without sacrificing his character... to them. This sort of liberty and remaining faithful to the character is the problem Ridley faced.

I feel like giving him a really short jump and poor recovery would generate the same, or at least a pretty similar effect. Basically he would have Little Mac's airgame. But also make him very fast on ground. That way they'd also be staying true to Toad's style in SMB2 and SM3DW.

Perhaps Captain Toad can have a bad jump, but he's fast, very shortranged, and has a really aggressive playstyle and his air attacks aren't shabby. I thought about Toad's playstyle in Smash Bros. Crusade, so maybe the Smash developers can use some pointers.

seriously.

there's shouldn't be a debate whether captain toad can jump or not.

the game he was in was designed AROUND not being able to jump.

smash bros is clearly contradictory to that, therefore, they WILL take liberties.

Not that I want Captain Toad or anything but the lack of jumping I find is ridiculous when Olimar is there.

A lot of people argue against Paper Mario because he'd be another Mario. But the thing is, he may be Mario but there's no way he'd be a clone character with a clone moveset. I highly doubt any moves would match up in animation or effect between the two.

It's still another Mario, new move set or not it's just lame.

LeftyGreenMario said:
I think the biggest reason Rosalina got in was the team had more ideas for her kind of moveset, easier to develop it and have it stand out compared to the other fights. Captain Toad also is known for not jumping, and he even has a backpack that emphasizes this limitation, and jumping is a crucial part of Smash Bros., so incorporating him MAY be a challenge. If he were to jump, perhaps he can spawn temporary platforms that quickly lift him and don't last long at all.

I was also surprised Rosalina got in the game since she's not here for very long though she IS prominent in Super Mario Galaxy. It'd be like putting Pauline or Cappy as a new playable character for Smash Bros. after a spotty record of spinoff playable appearances.

Yeah no.

You said it yourself, they got more material for Rosalina to work with and that's because Rosalina was already developed enough to get all of that for her moveset.

Pauline or Cappy are not even close to that , ability wise, background wise or popularity wise , so it doesnt take a genius to see why Rosalina who was always liked , relevant and developed since the get go was included in Smash.

No matter how many appearences a character has , we can already tell that means nothing as Daisy/Waluigi/Toad have way more than Rosalina yet who is in smash as playable?????

exactly.

Pauline and Cappy don't have their chance yet. I already came up with an analogy being "the equivalent of Pauline having a spotty record of being playable" because that's Rosalina prior to her being playable. She got boosted from Mario Kart and Super Mario 3D World, but she's absent in a lot of the spinoffs including Mario Tennis Open, Mario & Sonic, Mario Super Sluggers, Mario Party 9, Super Smash Bros. Brawl (no if Corrin had the opportunity to be playable before his game was released, so can Rosalina). She may as well be absent in Mario Party: Island Tour.

I just tried to come up with why Rosalina might be favored over Toad, but I didn't mean to take it as indisputable fact as you did and disregard my disagreement with it. I'd still prefer Toad over Rosalina any time of the day.

And I think Toad was just unfortunate enough to be part of a side-special move by Peach, even though it's not like multiple Toads don't exist, and we also now have Captain Toad. I just feel Toad, the guy who's playable in the vast majority of Mario Kart, even back in Super Mario Kart, and playable in Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3D World as well as being a major presence in promotional material, received the short end of the stick.

And while I'd like to play another Mario (especially if potentially his voice won't sound like utter shit), I think Paper Mario sounds.... lame. Call me unimaginative, but I can't imagine Paper Mario being among the cast and I feel his contribution to the Mario series is better represented in stages and collectibles.

Personally I think Pauline being in Smash 5 wouldn't be any more surprising than Rosalina in Smash 4. Like, Rosalina was a surprise inclusion in 3D World, since her mainline appearances before that were restricted to the Galaxy games. Likewise, Pauline was pretty much a Mario vs. Donkey Kong character until Odyssey. Sure she's not playable like Rosalina was in 3D World, but Odyssey wasn't multiplayer in the same way 3D World was and focused on Mario and Cappy only in terms of gameplay. The only way I can see Cappy in Smash is in Mario's moveset though, and I have no idea how they could use his main ability (Capturing) and actually balance it.

Pauline may be more likely as a background character in a NDC stage but I wouldn't say her chances are too low for playability. And even with her playable, they could still have her as a singer in New Donk City and just call in Alfonzo when she's in the match. Alfonzo: "Leave it to me!"

After Toad I really wouldn't want anymore Mario characters. We got seven already. Let's focus on some other series that need more love.

Swiftie_Luma said:
like Dk, which is under represented.

Yeahhhhh....I don't think it is. In fact Smash Bros has an ample amount of DK content for a subseries. I expect two new Mario characters and none of them will be from Donkey Kong.

memoryman3 said:
Swiftie_Luma said:
like Dk, which is under represented.

Yeahhhhh....I don't think it is. In fact Smash Bros has an ample amount of DK content for a subseries. I expect two new Mario characters and none of them will be from Donkey Kong.
Umm, that "sub series" is the fifth best selling Nintendo franchise of all time. Only behind Mario, Pokemon, Wii, and The Legend of Zelda. Donkey Kong has always been more distinct and stand alone than a subseries like Yoshi's Island or Wario. It's very much its own distinct thing.

DK could add three additional characters and I would still feel like that's valid. Dixie and K. Rool would be ideal but having someone like Cranky or DK Jr. as well would be the icing on the cake.

People want characters that have a lot of history with Nintendo. Cranky would be absolutely perfect considering he's the arcade DK and all.

I would like to see most of Smash 4's roster in the next game, Robin needs to be cut to make way for Lyn or Chrom. Outside the cut one I suggested I would want the following characters appear:

Daisy
Waluigi
Tiki
Daruk
Celica
Pauline

For veterans coming back:

Solid Snake
Wolf
Ice Climbers
Pokémon Trainer

Returning: All Yoshi colors from Smash 4, all Waluigi duplicates, Bowser Jr./all Koopalings (especially Iggy Koopa), Rosalina/Luma, King Dedede, Bowser

New: More Yoshis from Woolly World, Toad/Toadette/Toadsworth, Waluigi, Bandana Waddle Dee, Fawful, Robobot Kirby, Prince Peasley, Starlow, Captain Goomba, Paper Mario/Luigi (maybe Paper Wario/Waluigi?)

Character I do NOT want in Smash: Jojora

You know, who says this thread has to be purely about playable characters? I'm thinking of some characters who could be bosses and Assist Trophies. Bosses: RoboBrood and Lusamine + Nihilego. Assist Trophies: Birdo and Chef Kawasaki.

I Got No iPhone said:
The only way I can see Cappy in Smash is in Mario's moveset though, and I have no idea how they could use his main ability (Capturing) and actually balance it.
I could see Cappy maybe as an Assist Trophy, either functioning similar to Metroid (just without the life sucking) or the Boss Galaga item (controls the player to walk off the stage if they can't get it off.

Back