Best Mario Party Game?

GPM1000

Hey, I'm GPM!
Pronouns
He/him
Hi, I was just curious what you guys think the best Mario Party game is. Personally, mine is Mario Party DS.

Mario Party DS is also my favourite (but that may be due to the fact that that's the only one I've played).

Mario Party 6 has the best board gameplay. Orbs are versatile (perhaps not as interesting as Mario Party 3's) and are an improvement over Mario Party 5's Capsules (you can also get them for free as how capsule machines give you stuff for free). The duel system is the same as Mario Party 5's duel system, where you actually put things through a stake rather than let a roulette determine your award. It's also the last game where you can have CPU-only matches and the tag team battle isn't constrained as Mario Party 7's. It also has a day-night system to spice things up a bit. Also, Brighton and Twila are the best hosts.

Mario Party 7 has a superior minigame selection due to most of its luck-based minigames being restricted to battle minigames. It also has character-specific orbs, though it kind of ran against the idea that you should pick your favorite rather than use Peach for her broken flower orb.

Glydon said:
Mario Party DS is also my favourite (but that may be due to the fact that that's the only one I've played).
Ayy cool
I like it the most because the minigames just feel so fun compared to the more recent games, and it just feels more like a "Mario Party" game which I don't really know how to explain.

Mario Party 3 was the best N64 Mario Party, because it introduced Duel minigames and lets you carry up to three items (on top of having an expanded item system), as well as introducing punching bags Daisy and Waluigi to the Mario Party series. The minigames were pretty fun, I had fond memories of Aces High, End of the Line (I dunno why I found that minigame so much funny when I was a young child), etc. Mario Party 3 also had an interesting duel mode that I wish wasn't thrown out in later games.

Out of the GameCube ones, Mario Party 6 was the best one for reasons my sister explained.

Out of the ndCube Mario Party games, Mario Party: Star Rush is my favorite. I wrote a review in GameFAQs regarding my thoughts on it.

https://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/191663-mario-party-star-rush/reviews/163400

All of them.

Because they are all tied for last

Of the six I've played, Mario Party 9 is my favourite, the minigames are fun, I like the board designs, which are also long to compensate for the car mechanic (The ones in Mario Party 10 are far too short). The minigame modes I think are the best part though, particularly things like Boss Rush and the garden one that's name's escaped me right now. Also it didn't have MC Ballyhoo, which is always a good start for any game.

Mario Party DS is my second favourite.

LeftyGreenMario said:
Mario Party 6 has the best board gameplay. Orbs are versatile (perhaps not as interesting as Mario Party 3's) and are an improvement over Mario Party 5's Capsules (you can also get them for free as how capsule machines give you stuff for free). The duel system is the same as Mario Party 5's duel system, where you actually put things through a stake rather than let a roulette determine your award. It's also the last game where you can have CPU-only matches and the tag team battle isn't constrained as Mario Party 7's. It also has a day-night system to spice things up a bit. Also, Brighton and Twila are the best hosts.

This

Mcmadness said:
All of them.

Because they are all tied for last
Wouldn't this also mean they're all tied for first?

Yes but since it's all rubbish it's nothing worth being celebrated for.

The characters in-game seem to be really really happy to throw a Mario Party

MP4_title_screen.png

Mcmadness said:
Yes but since it's all rubbish it's nothing worth being celebrated for.
I think Jeff Gertsman's agony is worth celebrating.

Baby Luigi said:
The characters in-game seem to be really really happy to throw a Mario Party

img
dk is begging for his life that image

Even though I didn't play Mario Party 9, I can feel that the developers are putting in a lot of effort in reimagining Mario Party as something different, and it feels like an overall good package, thanks to minigames that are interesting to look at and possibly fun to play through, and the nice boards that fit into the idea that all players travel together to get to the end. It has also great tunes, which is something I like about Mario Party.

Of the ones I played: the first 7 Mario Party games, Mario Party Advance and Mario Party DS, I have to agree that Mario Party 6 is the best one since its Orb system is the most well-thought out of the three games that used them (5, 6 and 7). I feel that some changes to the system were detrimental in Mario Party 7, particularly the change to how the Bone works. I think the minigame selection is also quite good in 6, although I would say that each of those 3 Mario Party games have their great games.

Of the Nintendo 64 Mario Party games, Mario Party 3 is definitely the best of the bunch, even though many people will say that Mario Party 2 is better. Essentially, Mario Party 3 improved a lot from its predecessor in both originality and cohesiveness in theme (something Mario Party DS also has), not to mention quality-of-life changes. With that said, Mario Party 2 has points for having each board have their own theme and a mode that is minigame-exclusive (although it is an unlockable that requires all minigames played, and that is a tedious process if you are going for this).

Thank you for reading.

With the Mario Party series, I usually think they put in a lot of effort for their games, but too many times I feel the execution is botched, and this speaks no more than 9, Island Tour, 10, and Balloon Bash.

LeftyGreenMario said:
Mario Party 7 has a superior minigame selection due to most of its luck-based minigames being restricted to battle minigames.
Wouldn't that be more of a bad thing though?

I mean, 50 coin battle, in the fate of luck... Not my thing.

MP2: Bowser's Big Blast (and to some extent, Rakin' Em In), and if you play with AI, Rock-Paper-Mario
MP3: Stacked Deck + Merry Go Chomp, End of the Line for Duel

MP4: Bowser's Bigger Blast (and I would argue Paths of Peril has a small RNG factor on whether you get a short and harder, curvy path or a longer, but easier linear path between the set of paths chosen), and for the story, there's Goomba's + Boo's Mini-Game and Darts of Doom
MP5: Random Ride (if you go last you're pretty much losing) + Lucky Line-Up, plus too many duel games with luck or semi-luck factors; this is important considering it's the first to let you wager stars + Bowser's Scaldin' Cauldron

MP6: ...To some extent, Insectiride (turn order RNG but the grasshopper/cricket - the green one should be the go-to)? But then you have Pitifall + Trick or Tree as pure luck for Duel, 4-Player has Trap Ease Artist + Treasure Trawlers, and Same is Lame
MP7: Deck Hands for Battle, Warp Pipe Dreams for Duel and you can also get an unlucky call on the Shy Guy with Gimme a Sign (since the layout is inverted for the opponent and you might get trapped), all the Bowser Single Players are luck (tho Tunnel of Lava is pretty straightforward since you can just jump on the mechakoopas rapidly), so is A Bridge Too Short and I'd say Bananas Faster is too? I'm also not fond of the roulette system after a Duel (since it feels more like Chance Time)

MP8: Cut from the Team and Duel has You're the Bob-Omb, Cardiators, and (I think? I haven't touched this in a while) Spector Inspectors
MP9: Mecha-Choice + Pier Pressure, and Bowser Jr's Boss game (I'd think there's others, the saving grace for Bowser's Boss is that you can actually avoid the attacks) and with AI, King Bob-Omb's too (basically Same is Lame)

I haven't played 3DS or 10 and I can barely remember for DS, tho I know the Cheep Cheep mini-game existed in that one lol

Anyway, putting that luck mini-game rant aside, I'd agree 6 is the best with great item system, ENCOURAGES item use (via finding coins + Orb Star), introduces the Sluggish 'Shroom, great boards (I love all of them) with a good day/night mechanic to impact board events and I really like the mini-games too.
After that I would put 3 as a second. I just wish Reverse Mushroom existed in 6 lol

Timmy said:
Wouldn't that be more of a bad thing though?

I mean, 50 coin battle, in the fate of luck... Not my thing.
You can vote on Battle Minigames though in Mario Party 7. Even if you're up against CPU, I don't think I've ever seen three vote for one minigame, but eh.

Timmy said:
all the Bowser Single Players are luck

They're all so ridiculously easy to win in that I don't even consider them close to classified as "luck" minigames (even the cpu doesn't have much trouble winning in those minigames). They're much better than Scaldin' Cauldron, the worst Bowser minigame in the series.

I've played almost all of them (except for Advance, 9, Star Rush and The Top 100s) and my favorite one is DS.

Back