New Mario movie in the works

anyways, it's not that deep.

-------------------------------

I'm interested to see what kind of plotline they would come out for a movie, i hope they are more innovative and dont go with Bowser kidnaps someone

Swiftie_Luma said:
I'm interested to see what kind of plotline they would come out for a movie, i hope they are more innovative and dont go with Bowser kidnaps someone

I'm pretty confident the plot of the movie will be "Bowser kidnaps Peach"

Well, what's the problem as long as the Bowser Kidnaps Peach thing is done right anyway?

Look at Paper Mario 64.

I don't care what it is as long as it's not an adaptation of a specific game.

I want this movie to have quality of a blockbuster with a lot of fanservice and have is great number of characters, while having a plot of "villain kidnaps damsel-in-distress".

It's a movie, not a video game.

If Odyssey didn't deliver that well on the fan service (_in my opinion_), what makes you think the movie will do that?

Consider that's pretty much your own opinion about Odyssey , i don't know what to tell you. The movie can be great, Nintendo has been doing good lately.

Swiftie_Luma said:
Consider that's pretty much your own opinion about Odyssey , i don't know what to tell you. The movie can be great, Nintendo has been doing good lately.

Let's be honest, video games are not movies. Mario and Rabbids had an extremely thin plot and Mario and Luigi Paper Jam was heavily criticised for a lack of interesting characters.

Which to me translates to business as usual for that series.

memoryman3 said:
Mario and Luigi Paper Jam was heavily criticised for a lack of interesting characters.
I don't think it was criticized for the exclusions you have in mind considering the other M&L games don't share those criticisms. I really don't like it when PJ is used to generalize the whole series.

Anyway i really hope this movie doesn't try to be an adaptation of the usual kidnapping story again. That would feel incredibly underwhelming and too predictable for a movie, moreso than for a game, since it doesn't have gameplay to fall back on. In fact I'd rather it not be focused on Mario traveling across the world for the whole movie at all, but rather have different locations naturally come in when the story calls for them like most movies do.

We have to remember that we're talking about Illumination, a company that now commonly makes bare-bones movies in attempts at cash-grabbing, making a movie about Mario, a character that doesn't have much character to begin with.

I'm not expecting a grand storyline.

I still think the Despicable Me movies have better plots than whatever they would likely do with the basic kidnapping plot. Unless it's like Paper Mario 64 but I highly doubt that's how it would be nowadays if they use the kidnapping plot. I wouldn't mind it to be like Mario Sunshine though, where there is a kidnapping but not immediately and there's an actual mystery involved at the start allowing for the plot to have unexpected twists. Though if the twist is a kidnapping it would still be predictable for Mario.

Say what you will, but IMHO Despicable Me 1&2, Minions and Sing were all good movies (I'd go as far to say Minions was brilliant and Sing was Phenomenal).

I honestly think they can work some magic with this myself.

I can't see how it would be anything other than a kidnapping plot. This is the first Nintendo movie in years and, unlike the previous Mario movie, this one is more than likely going to actually reflect the games.
Maybe they'll add a bit to it like the 3D platformers usually do, but I doubt they'd go for something completely different like some people have been suggesting.

Personally, I imagine they'll have some sort of kidnapping in it somewhere, and while that may be the driving force of the plot, I imagine there'll probably be some sort of twist to it somewhere along the line, I'm not sure what, but I think it'll be at least a little more than "Bowser kidnaps Peach and Mario goes to rescue her"- but nothing hugely complicated.

I expect this movie to be about as generic Mario as you get, that is having the kidnapping plot and the only characters being Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Toad, and Yoshi. I think it's getting your hopes up too much to expect anything else.

Yes, heaven forbid the movie be about the main characters of the franchise.

I don't expect the movie to be anything special, I'm just wondering how it'll turn out right now and adjust my expectations accordingly. If it's about pure Mario, I don't think we'll see Waluigi or Wario or DK. If it's like a Mario Kart / Mario Party thing, then we'll see them. But there is so little we know, we can't really have expectations beyond Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Bowser, Yoshi, and the Koopa Troop.

Word on the film is found at this link: https://variety.com/2018/film/news/super-mario-bros-animated-movie-illumination-1203021006/ (I found it via here)

Chris Meledandri said:
"The challenges is taking things that are so thin in their original form and finding depth that doesn't compromise what generations of fans love about Mario, but also feels organic to the iconography and can support a three-act structure,"

Basically there are challenges when transitioning Mario into a film because Mario is light on story elements, so to adapt the property into a movie structure is bound to be challenging because of how big and important Mario is. As such, he's glad to have help from Miyamoto, if this quote from the article is of any indication:

"We are keeping [Miyamoto] front and center in the creation of the film," Meledandri says. "I've rarely seen that happen with any adaptation where the original creative voice is being embraced like we're embracing Miyamoto. There's a history in Hollywood of people believing that they know better than the people responsible for a property. I've made that mistake before."

The film is expected to be out in 2022, so don't expect anything in the near future.

Thank you for reading.

So Miyamoto is heavily involved, huh?

Well that's good. At least we know it won't suck too much and that fart jokes are probably put of the picture since I can't imagine him really letting those get into the mic with his boy on board.

Still keeping low expectations, but it's sounding better.

Back