New Mario movie in the works

Hobbes

Tucayo
Retired Wiki Staff
'Shroom Consultant
MarioWiki
Henry Tucayo Clay
https://kotaku.com/report-nintendo-making-animated-mario-movie-with-studi-1820434793

There are reports of a new movie based on the Mario series to be produced by Illumination, the studio which brought us masterpieces like Minions.

JANUARY 31ST, 2018 UPDATE: It's now official. The film will be developed by Illumination and Nintendo. Chris Meledandri (Illumination CEO) and Shigeru Miyamoto will produce the project.

Re: Reports of a new Mario movie

Mario_sad_-_SMRS.png

Guess the deal with Avi Arad didn't pan out.

It seems like Nintendo doesn't really hole that tight lock on their IPs anymore as they have just thrown their IP carelessly to the questionable company Ubisoft and will probably do it again to the also questionable Illumination.

Anna said:
It seems like Nintendo doesn't really hole that tight lock on their IPs anymore as they have just thrown their IP carelessly to the questionable company Ubisoft and will probably do it again to the also questionable Illumination.
Who made a really good game?

Ubisoft made a good game. It is clear because it is one this lists for best family game and for best strategy game. To even be considered to be on the list is amazing.

As for Illumination, with their most famous work being Despicable Me series and Minions movie, you can see why Nintendo choose a company that can make characters not have speech, like Mario and Luigi, and still have others that speak, like Peach and Bowser?. Illumination works for Universal studies, which we were told they were going to build a Mario,-though-technically-it's-Nintendo,-themed area in their parks. Makes sense to choose one of the companies working for Universal. I see this having great potential. (Also, please Nintendo, make sure they don't go overboard with stupidity plus don't have something that will make Mario not good.)

Sure I hate the minions (though I did think that first Despicable Me movie was decent) but from a business standpoint I can see why they would go to them since Minions bank like shit.

Plus one could argue Toads already fill that annoying loud minion ish thing.

Anna said:
>>>>>>Illumination

AKA the king of SUPER LAZY MOVI-no wait or is that Sony Animations?
Ahem, Sony gave us the Hotel Transylvania series, I think we know which one is the superior studio.

WOOOOO!!! FINALLY! A BRAND-SPANKING NEW ANIMATED MARIO MOVIE AT LONG LA--wait, did you say Illumination?

Well even though I kinda would prefer to see Studio Ghibli or Studio Trigger for example try to take a spin at a fluently animated 2D Mario movie, I won't look a gift horse in the mouth just yet. The first Despicable Me movie was alright before the series got assimilated by the accursed monoeyed corn kernels.

Leon Kuwata said:
Anna said:
Who made a really good game?
sure why not
Yoshi the SSM said:
Ubisoft made a good game. It is clear because it is one this lists for best family game and for best strategy game. To even be considered to be on the list is amazing.
Being on a list for an award doesn't really mean anything. I mean for like the Academy Awards Suicide Squad was on several lists a-wait no that's a bad example.

the year is 2022 and aunts are posting toad memes on Facebook

i thought you guys stopped crying about the rabbits game once it became sort of a success.

Swiftie_Luma said:
i thought you guys stopped crying about the rabbits game once it became sort of a success.
why would people stop hating something b/c its successful

So it's early in development? That means it will probably come out in 2-3 years or so.

Also, it would probably have the art style of Mario+Rabbids.

Here's a question: why are people continuously hating on a game that actually turned out to be good, original, and has quite a few fans? I don't think any of the people hating on Mario + Rabbids has actually played the fucking game. Hating it based on just the principle alone doesn't make you any better than immature people who hate Nintendo due to its "kiddy" image. Grow up.

Anyway, I don't think a new Mario movie is going to be good. Mario just doesn't translate well into movie format. Even video games who have entire narratives written around them don't have good movies. Occasionally, yeah, something that isn't terrible can be good, but I'm not counting on Illumination to deliver. I think they do have the right comical mood for Mario, but their story-writing isn't the best.

Baby Luigi said:
Here's a question: why are people continuously hating on a game that actually turned out to be good, original, and has quite a few fans? I don't think any of the people hating on Mario + Rabbids has actually played the fucking game. Hating it based on just the principle alone doesn't make you any better than immature people who hate Nintendo due to its "kiddy" image. Grow up.
people love their preconceived and often ignorant/un-thought-out notions

I don't see what the problem is with Illumination, while their plots aren't always brilliant, their animation is pretty good. And not all of their films are awful, while they made my least favourite film ever (The Lorax could not have been much more boring), I really liked the original Despicable Me, Hop and The Secret Life of Pets. Apparently, Shigeru Miyamoto has been involved in the talks though, so I wouldn't think he'd let it go extremely badly.

Back