Your Opinion on Accessibility Options in Mario games

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
Awards Committee
MarioWiki
winstein
In recent times, more and more Mario games have the option to make it easier for players to overcome the game's challenges. Basically, treat it like an Easy mode because it makes the game easy. Some game indicate whether the player used Easy mode to clear the level, but some game don't do that and treat it like as though the player played the game as though they played it normally.

Some of the examples of games with accessibility options include:
- Super Mario Odyssey, which has an Assist Mode that makes it easier for players to play the game. This game has Mario start with more HP (six) compared to the regular (three) without using a power-up, but with the power-up you can have nine HP. In addition to this, there is an objective marker that points players to the right direction. If that's not all, falling to death is not as harsh as the normal mode, where you get back up to the safe spot in a bubble with only 1 HP lost.
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii and New Super Mario Bros. U offer the option to utilise the Super Guide to complete one of the various levels if the player has a lot of trouble with them. This functionality extends to Super Mario Galaxy 2.
- Certain Super Mario games opted to just offer the player a very powerful power-up if they have trouble with the level, utilising the White Tanooki Suit in Super Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario 3D World, and surprisingly, Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Edition. It might not make the levels easier, but having extra help does make the game easier.
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe offers players with the option to automatically accelerate the vehicle without holding the button, as well as the option to steer the vehicle so that it stays on track.
- Mario Golf games starting from Toadstool Tour has an Auto option, which makes hitting the ball in the right track easier since missing the mark causes the ball to go off-direction and go off-greens more easily.
- Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle has an Easy Mode that makes life easier for players by giving more advantages to them, such as more HP on the player's side.
- Yoshi's Woolly World, has what is called Mellow Mode, which gives Yoshi more Hearts in the beginning, have a slower aiming angle (and thus aim easier) and allow Yoshi to flutter indefinitely.
- Donkey Kong Country Returns has a Super Guide similar to some Super Mario games if the player has trouble with the level, and its 3D remake has a "New Mode" that gives players an extra HP and more items to choose from in the shop (these options are then added to Tropical Freeze).

I think this is a great idea, because some of the Mario games feel difficult if not for some assistance. Mario games should be able to be played by everyone, and not just those who can invest time to master the games first, which is one of the many reasons Mario games have mass appeal. Certainly some players can get into the game easier, but those that want to be challenged and better themselves at least have the option to use a more "manual" difficult to perform things that couldn't necessarily be done on an easier setup.

If the Mario Tennis games were to have an accessibility option, I would like to suggest an "Auto-swing", where the player just have to move the character in the court and use a compatible swing to keep the ball in court, as well as another option for "Smart Positioning", which makes the player start moving closer to the ball when the ball gets back to the court. Not sure both options would be suitable, but since Mario Kart 8 Deluxe allows players to enable both features to make them able to do nothing, I guess it can be allowed.

With that said, would you agree that having accessibility options for less-able and less-experienced players is a good option in Mario games?

Thank you for reading.

I strongly support an easy mode option or a super guide mechanic for players who actually need them. All arguments I've seen against the mode are fundamentally very very weak. It's just a video game. Let people have the option for a way they want to play the game.

Mario Tennis Open already had an accessibilty-like option in the form of gyro controls, where your character automatically moves and reacts to the ball for you.

I'm sure there are kids out there who are scared to play games on their own as I was (which is why I avoided single player Mario games for a very long time, was too scared to play Sunshine, reluctantly played Super Mario 64 DS and even Galaxy somewhat). This Assist Mode I hope eases them more into playing games and not be so scared.

I don’t use things such as the Super guide anymore, but I remember actually losing on purpose when I was a kid so that I could trigger it.

Also, not long ago, Mario+Rabbids, there’s an incredibly hard fight somewhere in the first-to-last sub-level in world 1, and I wasn’t exactly prepared, so I had to use easy mode there.

Baby Luigi said:
I strongly support an easy mode option or a super guide mechanic for players who actually need them. All arguments I've seen against the mode are fundamentally very very weak. It's just a video game. Let people have the option for a way they want to play the game.
forgot you weren't talking the fire emblem fandom for a minute there

I'm okay with the inclusion of a easy mode to help make things a little less treacherous for inexperienced players, but I do feel that the concept of super guides is overdoing it just a tad bit.

I do quite like things such as the White Tanooki and Mellow Mode, but I really hate Super Guide. I find watching the level being completed is no help whatsoever, and if a new concept is introduced in that level, which is used later on, you're kind of in a sticky situation. And also that you have to go back and do it later to get the Star Coins. At least White Tanooki lets you collect the Star Coins and top the Goal Pole, etc. Plus it doesn't make that really annoying noise that Super Guide does when you don't use it.

Although I haven't played Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, while I am in favour of the not having to accelerate thing, I think that the auto-steering is beyond a joke. It's a key part of Mario Kart, steering and staying on track or using shortcuts, being able to move away from a Banana. And Lakitu's there for a reason other than to start the race. Just throwing the items does seem to take the fun out of Mario Kart.

BBQ Turtle said:
I think that the auto-steering is beyond a joke. It's a key part of Mario Kart, steering and staying on track or using shortcuts, being able to move away from a Banana. And Lakitu's there for a reason other than to start the race. Just throwing the items does seem to take the fun out of Mario Kart.
I've read accounts of some people with disabilities and otherwise technical problems with hand-eye coordination who were actually able to enjoy a Mario Kart for once because auto-steer exists. When I think of accessibility options, I think of them. I also think of very young children (auto-steer is just like training wheels) or people who just don't have the capacity to steer properly. This also applies to Super Guide. The only thing wrong with it was that it could impact your completion stars by not making them shiny even if you didn't use it, but this was improved in later games, where you'd lose the shiny stars if you DID use it or just giving the level a "completed with super guide" marker meaning it counts "less" until finished without Super Guide. If someone finds these options including Super Guide "condescending", then that's the person's problem. And yeah, I think there are people out there who believe that.

LeftyGreenMario said:
I've read accounts of some people with disabilities and otherwise technical problems with hand-eye coordination who were actually able to enjoy a Mario Kart for once because auto-steer exists. When I think of accessibility options, I think of them. I also think of very young children (auto-steer is just like training wheels) or people who just don't have the capacity to steer properly. This also applies to Super Guide. The only thing wrong with it was that it could impact your completion stars by not making them shiny even if you didn't use it, but this was improved in later games, where you'd lose the shiny stars if you DID use it or just giving the level a "completed with super guide" marker meaning it counts "less" until finished without Super Guide. If someone finds these options including Super Guide "condescending", then that's the person's problem. And yeah, I think there are people out there who believe that.
I have less of a problem with the auto-steering than Super Guide, as at least you're doing something then, but with Super Guide you're basically just watching it happen. And also, although I know it varies from person to person, my brother has extreme hypermobility in his hands and wrists, but while he struggles with things such as buttons on shirts, gripping things, archery and writing, he's never had a problem with stuff like that. My Mum doesn't either, and she had an operation that went wrong which gave her very little control over her right hand. I know it does vary a lot from person to person, but that's just what I've seen. I do think Super Guide and the like is a good idea, but I think it works better when you get help with it rather than skipping it or it doing it for you. That's just my opinion, anyway.

Time Turner said:
Just let people play how they want. The more options, the better.
I was going to say the exact same. :)

Seriously, can anyone actually give a reasonable argument against accessibility features? All they do is make the game better for some people.

BBQ Turtle said:
I have less of a problem with the auto-steering than Super Guide, as at least you're doing something then, but with Super Guide you're basically just watching it happen. And also, although I know it varies from person to person, my brother has extreme hypermobility in his hands and wrists, but while he struggles with things such as buttons on shirts, gripping things, archery and writing, he's never had a problem with stuff like that. My Mum doesn't either, and she had an operation that went wrong which gave her very little control over her right hand. I know it does vary a lot from person to person, but that's just what I've seen. I do think Super Guide and the like is a good idea, but I think it works better when you get help with it rather than skipping it or it doing it for you. That's just my opinion, anyway.
I think the Super Guide is to help people watch and learn how to overcome a tough part of the level. Also, it's the first time they did something like this so I assume it might not be perfect, and it's later they added a "cheat" mode. It's ultimately no different from PC games allowing you to input cheats. I don't think the "watch the game beat the level for you" is used again, being abandoned in favor of power-ups or an easy mode.

Git gud or git out
but no seriously they don't bother me at all. The more people being able to experience something the better.

Super Guide was too much, but otherwise i dont have problems with giving people a little boost if theyre struggling.

Mario games should have cheat codes. They're fun to use.

I think accessibility options are nice to have especially if someone must complete something in order to advance. As a matter of fact, Super Mario Challenge in Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS gives the player Assist Items if they fail 5 times if they want it, but not after a checkpoint in order for every one to play and beat that mode. But, this doesn't help with the Challenge Medals.

I tend to have a disdain for them when I see them, but really I'm fine with them as long as I don't have to use them at all. Not everyone is as bent on playing the game without help as me and a lot of people actually need it to enjoy the game as was mentioned.

Mister Apple said:
But if people want to watch the game being played through, why not just let them?
My problem with Super Guide was that its mere appearance could impact your save file, by making your stars not shiny any more. It's purely aesthetic, but I think most people who don't want Super Guide don't want to have it interfere like that.

It's probably convenient to watch a playthrough right on the spot, and the Let's Play qualities can differ. And if it's a younger person playing, there may be the problem of a Let's Player swearing, something a parent may not approve.

Something that randomly just crossed my mind but do you think the inclusion of a color blindness mode would also be a good accessibility option?

I say it's not super necessary. I'm not sure which games rely purely on color differences that Cuphead does (Cuphead relies on color recognition for players to be successful; projectiles and enemies are pink but are virtually identical to normal enemies and projectiles). Mario & Luigi games immediately come to mind, with Shroid that shows red and green flags (though I THINK the flag color is dependent on Shroid's arms) and Mecha-Chomp that charges based on color roulette.

I believe that Mario & Luigi deliberately uses different shades (or possibly tones, this isn't really my area of expertise) of red and green to avet that very problem.

Also, RE: Super Guide, shining stars are a good point, that can unfairly impact completionism. Also, I think the super leaf style might be a better way of doing it, letting people get through tough levels without doing it for them.

Like the red is very dark and the green is lime neon?

Back