Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions

Mister Wu said:
And now, the least interesting detail ever (like only I care)
Bowser Jr. is stated to be Bowser's only son in the English version

HOWEVER

This is technically not revisionism because the Japanese Nintendo Official Guidebook said nothing on the relationship between Bowser and the Koopalings - it didn't make sense, since at that point Bowletta was there instead. The most that could be said is that since the then just released Japanese Nintendo Official Guidebook of SMA4 called them Bowser's children and Larry called Bowser "father" in the Japanese site of the Wii VC version of SMB3, it might considered a bit of a stretch to use the current depictions. But in my opinion, this cannot really be considered revisionism. It would have been cool if they used the past depiction since M&L:SS was the last game to use the old design, but expecting that would have been wishful thinking at best.
It's hard to really consider it revisionism in the first place, considering Mario has a Mario Kart 8 trophy in his house, The Koopalings having their modern designs, and Bowser Jr. has his clown car.
Though that doesn't matter since he doesn't appear in the storyline
The whole situation actually reminds me a bit of Team Chaotix from Sonic Heroes, except the Koopalings' prior appearances are still canon (as far as Mario has "canon" anyway).

Just so you know, the term Koopalings revisionism was brought up by another user here, I was just clarifying everything there was to clarify about this point so it's clear that at least this aspect wasn't really subject to it.

Manuals tend to be very ambiguous as to how much you can trust them. I mean, consider SMB3's manual was one of the only places where it says the Koopalings are his children, not reliable, right? But then again it was also the sourceof their names as far as I'm aware, and those for all intents and porpoises are most definitely their names.

Envy said:
Manuals tend to be very ambiguous as to how much you can trust them. I mean, consider SMB3's manual was one of the only places where it says the Koopalings are his children, not reliable, right? But then again it was also the sourceof their names as far as I'm aware, and those for all intents and porpoises are most definitely their names.
This statement about them being children only in the Japanese SMB3 manual was pretty much what the wiki said about two years ago, and was incorrect.
These are the official Japanese sources that state they are his chidlren I found so far:
  • the Super Mario Bros. 3 manual and of course, the Nintendo Official Guidebook of Super Mario Advance 4 and the Wii VC site of SMB3 (both of the latter were published after Bowser Jr.'s introduction in Super Mario Sunshine, by the way)
  • the Super Mario Complete Encyclopedia
  • the Perfect Edition of the Great Mario character Encyclopedia
  • the Super Mario Bros. Daizukan
  • the first trophy of Bowser in Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • the Nintendo Official Guidebook of Super Mario Advance 2
the Nintendo Official Guidebook of Super Mario World actually stated that they are part of the "Koopa Family" with Bowser, too.
Also, ironically, the SMB3 manual, which is what I was referring at the beginning (Alpha Dream most surely used Japanese material as source) didn't even state the names of the Koopalings, which were instead added by Brooks later.
It's indeed odd that the personality seen in a game manual gets referenced. But in the case of Morton, it's possibly also one of the few official sources with long lines of dialogue, without having to see the mangas such as Super Mario Kun or the KC Mario ones that probably deviated from the actual Mario style a bit too much - although probably Color Splash referenced Super Mario Kun with Wendy.

I really hate how Bowletta is just Cackletta's head put on Bowser's body. They didn't even make her a new sprite and her using Bowser's voice clips is just absurd.

God I hate Bowletta.

Mcmadness said:
I really hate how Bowletta is just Cackletta's head put on Bowser's body. They didn't even make her a new sprite and her using Bowser's voice clips is just absurd.

God I hate Bowletta.
Scratch that, just checked a video. Bowletta's pose does seem similar, if not the exact same as Rookie's. I know it was like that in the original game, but still kinda disappointing.
Agreed about the voice clips though. Should've at least warped Bowser's voice if they weren't gonna make new voice clips.

Why don't they just use Cackletta voice clips for her? I mean, the head is clearly changed, they should have reflected that.

They use both Cackletta and Bowser voice clips. Which they also did in SSS, though Bowser's voice at the time (at least the clips they used) wasn't as unfitting for Bowletta. I agree that Kenny James' Bowser doesn't fit Bowletta at all.

ThatGuy62 said:
Scratch that, just checked a video. Bowletta's pose does seem similar, if not the exact same as Rookie's. I know it was like that in the original game, but still kinda disappointing.
Agreed about the voice clips though. Should've at least warped Bowser's voice if they weren't gonna make new voice clips.

It's not just her battle sprite. All her sprites, idle animations and body moves are literally just Bowser's but with her head put on it.

Did they reused Jen's voice of Peach or they had Sam re-do them or use Sam's Peach voice from BIS or Dream Team? Did anyone fully play through the game?

Roll and Maria Renard said:
Did they reused Jen's voice of Peach or they had Sam re-do them or use Sam's Peach voice from BIS or Dream Team? Did anyone fully play through the game?
If it's anything like Bowser, they'll probably reuse sames voice clips from Dream Team and Paper Jam. The only way I could see them redoing any lines are if there are any they can't reuse.

Should Bowser Jr., Starlow and Prince Peasley being in Minion Quest be acknowledged on the wiki at this point? Somebody just added the Koopalings locations in Minion Quest.

I tried but could only get the banner sprites. What appears to be the character sprites (based on file names) are pretty much empty files, idk why.

Really? That's strange cause I noticed how people on YouTube manage to get the games. Maybe there are other ways. Not sure. By the way are there screenshots of Anuboo and Gritty Goomba? Remakes ones that is.

ThatGuy62 said:
Should Bowser Jr., Starlow and Prince Peasley being in Minion Quest be acknowledged on the wiki at this point? Somebody just added the Koopalings locations in Minion Quest.
Weedle McHairybug (I guess that's the name?) added them and I then corrected some sentences, at this point you can, I didn't add all the characters in the main page simply because there's a lot of them yet to be added.

Okay then, adding it now.
On a slightly related note, I'm pondering whether or not to add that Bowser Jr., despite being listed before Starlow and Peasley in the gallery, can be unlocked after them.

Now that Smash Custom Music is back up, if you want individual music files ripped from the game, here's a list of music from this game

http://www.smashcustommusic.com/game/4698

ThatGuy62 said:
Okay then, adding it now.
On a slightly related note, I'm pondering whether or not to add that Bowser Jr., despite being listed before Starlow and Peasley in the gallery, can be unlocked after them.
I think that would be quite overkill, unless we then make a table with all the characters and state that the order of the game is the order in which they are obtained, which I somehow doubt it's the case.

The wiki is going to need a whole table dedicated to the different minions stating their type, weaknesses/strengths, abilities and maybe stats (maybe on a different article, like "List of Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions minions" or something) anyway so I wouldn't sweat those kind of minor details too much rn until after the game officially released.

Idk maybe I'll do that, haven't been active on the wiki for a while now and feel like doing something.

Ninelevendo said:
The wiki is going to need a whole table dedicated to the different minions stating their type, weaknesses/strengths, abilities and maybe stats (maybe on a different article, like "List of Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions minions" or something) anyway so I wouldn't sweat those kind of minor details too much rn until after the game officially released.

Idk maybe I'll do that, haven't been active on the wiki for a while now and feel like doing something.
Well, if you want to do so, you'll find a playtrhough of most of the Minion Quest (except the beginning until Larry's battle, that was done offline) here and here.
Essentially, before the base stats and level up bonuses are dumped, we can list:
  • name
  • type
  • bio
  • special attack
  • weaknesses
  • strrengths
although the latter two are always stated in the bio as well, so we can skip those and just highlights them in the bio, just like the game does.

Furthermore, things that can also be listed are:
  • skills (they are essentually bonuses given based on the composition of the squad)
  • captain commands

This game I am keeping a positive light. (Even though there are quite a bit of disappointments that outweigh some things, so I try not to let it bother me.)

The only main reason to get it is for Cackletta, and the memories I had when a 2004 hurricane caused a power outage that lasted for two weeks, and this was the only game I had that lasted till the final day the power snapped back on. So it is this nostalgia that brings me back, and having a deluxe version is just the next step of obtaining it.

But with all this, having no sign of tourneys and such is a let down. I would of loved to see bosses have new special attacks, and more challenges. Even the awards that make the game even more experiencing, and hard mode. (Is there one? Correct me if I am wrong.)

I am not too crazy over the amiibos for this, so possibly won't be spending my cash on them since they kinda look like any other character from the Mario series without the style of Masanori Sato influencing them. That in which disappointed me even more.

So without further or due, I am going to go out on October 6, buy my copy, and just enjoy it while it last.

So I saw the credits of Minion Quest and noticed a very slight retcon that few probably care about.
In Superstar Saga, Bowser seemingly had both a flying castle and a ground castle. In the remake, Bowser is dropped into a field with his castle walls, but the castle itself wasn't there. I just assumed "were they too lazy to put the second castle there?" but Minion Quest retconned it so that they had to rebuild the castle.

I liked it more when it was implied he just had a whole bunch of those lying around, found it more amusing.

Back