J's Mario Kart concepts

You can still have an octoomba alternate. Right?

Koopd Guy said:
You can still have an octoomba alternate. Right?
That never even occurred to me! I'll add that right away! The Elite Octoomba and maybe the Octoguy, too.

Two words: Shop Mode.
Finally putting use to the Coin system. It also gives roles to some male Noki and female Piantas as store clerks. It’s very similar to Mario Party 8’s Fun Bazaar, in that you choose a character to go into the shopping area. You can buy vehicle parts, alternate costumes, new cups (not including the standard eight), battle courses, and more! But you can't buy new characters.

What is interesting is that, at the beginning of the game, only 50cc Mushroom Cup is available. Other cups and engine classes, as well as Time Trial, Versus, and Battle Modes, and Online Play, are unavailable. Once you win a copper, silver, or gold trophy in that Grand Prix, Shop Mode is unlocked.
Upon visiting Shop Mode for the first time, you unlock the following:
Time Trial Mode
Single- and Multi-Player Versus Mode (Includes new “Backwards” feature, where the race is in the opposite direction on the course. This feature is not available in online play.)
Single- and Multi-Player Battle Mode
Online Play

Shop Mode clerks and their roles: (some conjectural names)
"Durian lady" (next to the Shine Gate in Delfino Plaza): sells Extra Cups, but not Standard Cups, in the Grand Prix Shop

Yellow Pianta with white shirt and glasses: sells things related to Battle Mode (courses and battle types) in the Battle Shop

"Ladies' room Pianta" (in the ladies' restroom of Hotel Delfino at Sirena Beach): sells alternate outfits for characters and Miis at Mario Kart Outfitters

Noki Elder’s grandson (Noki Bay): sells Karts, Bikes, and ATVs at Mario Kart Body Shop

Pinna Park welcomer (the blue Noki just inside the gate to Pinna Park): sells Wheels at Kart Wheels

"Unlucky" (outside Hotel Delfino at Sirena Beach): sells Gliders at the Glider Shop

"Doot-Doot posse" (sisters, ukulele Pianta, conch Noki): Sound Test (available after unlocking all characters) + Data

Brighton & Twila: Mission Mode & Hints
  • Brighton is in charge of the missions. Initial entry costs 100 coins. Only the first mission is available for free. You can unlock each mission by completing them in succession, or if you want to go out of order you can buy any one you want for a price. You play the mission with whichever character you entered Shop Mode.
  • Twila gives hints on how to unlock characters for 15 coins each.
Lumacomète (available during second visit to shop mode): Online Play

While not a clerk, the Mii Kiosk is another big feature of Shop Mode, as is available after you unlock your Mii (win 100cc Special Cup). Here you can buy Mario Kart licenses (10 coins each) for your other Miis here. You can also edit your online profile.

While I admire the choices of shop clerks, I would certainly not like having to go to different shops to buy what I want. This is just too much. I'd much rather have it all in one place with one clerk than have to load up a new character model whenever I want to browse something else. Personally, I'd go with either a Shy Guy or the Isle Delfino sunglasses vendor.

What are your ideas for kart customization? Not sure if you talked about that yet.

Personally, my idea of a shop is purchasing vehicle parts only. And if you purchase every single vehicle part that you can acquire at the shop, you'll be rewarded with the Gold Standard kart body. The Gold Tires and Gold Glider can't be purchased at the shop, however, as the Gold Tires would be acquired by star ranking all the GP cups in every engine class, while the Gold Glider would be acquired by defeating all the staff ghosts in Time Trials.

I also had the idea of a coin reward upon finishing a GP cup. How big the reward is will depend on your final racing position, along with the engine class that's played. As such, finishing in 1st place at a 100cc GP cup would reward you more coins than if you finish 1st at a 50cc GP cup.

Magikrazy said:
While I admire the choices of shop clerks, I would certainly not like having to go to different shops to buy what I want. This is just too much. I'd much rather have it all in one place with one clerk than have to load up a new character model whenever I want to browse something else.
Worked well enough in Splatoon, where you could press the L/R buttons to switch shops almost instantly. That only had four shops though.

Luigi 64DD said:
Magikrazy said:
While I admire the choices of shop clerks, I would certainly not like having to go to different shops to buy what I want. This is just too much. I'd much rather have it all in one place with one clerk than have to load up a new character model whenever I want to browse something else.
Worked well enough in Splatoon, where you could press the L/R buttons to switch shops almost instantly. That only had four shops though.
It also worked well enough for Mario Party 8's Fun Bazaar, which I mentioned that Shop Mode is similar to.

New Kart body! The Bow-dozer

bow_dozer__revamp__by_just_call_me_j-dbbpsti.png

The Bow-dozer a bulldozer whose blade (the part that pushes dirt) is shaped like a bow. The name is a portmanteau of the words bulldozer and bow. It has perfect flip symmetry, with the exception of the exhaust pipe sticking out the left side.
On the back view, you'll notice I included the Roller and Blue Standard tires on the left side, and the Monster tire on the right side, just so you know what the Bow-dozer looks like with all tire sizes. It is not raised by large tires (at least, not as dramatically as other vehicles). For the other POV's, I just used the Standard tires.

There are four color palette swaps (shown on the left):
  • magenta and red
  • blue and white
  • yellow and black
  • green and dark red
With each palette swap, I included a different character emblem.

Which palette swap would you have?

As you can probably guess, I had Birdo (actually Baby Birdo) in mind when I came up with the Bow-dozer (hence her emblem being used for the magenta swap, as well as the magenta swap being the standard colors for the different POV's).

chomplet_chariot_by_just_call_me_j-dbdgob1.png

It's a kart based off a Chain Chomplet.

The Chomplet Chariot's back wheels are closer together than the front wheels, and they also stick out the back a bit, similar to MK8's Biddybuggy. Unlike the Biggybuggy, the Chomplet Chariot can't do wheelies. That chain exhaust pipe would get in the way! The glider comes out the middle of the sole character emblem on the back. Its sclerae (the whites of the eyes) are the headlights. The chain tail is actually stiff and immobile, as it is the Chomplet Chariot's exhaust pipe.

The Chomplet Chariot boasts high acceleration and handling, which is surprising for a kart of its weight, but it brakes poorly and doesn't actually have a lot of speed to it.

I only drew the side and top views for the Chomplet Chariot, as I figured you'd be able to understand the rest it.

The Chomplet Chariot comes in three palette swaps:
  • Dark red collar, back rest, and wheel wells
  • Dark turquoise collar, back rest, and wheel wells
  • Dark purple collar, back rest, and wheel wells
The constants are the all-black bodies, heads, and chains; the white collar spikes and teeth; and the beige seat.

What do all y'all think of this one? And, of course, what palette do you like the most?

Okay, so for the curious, I organized all my character icons into a table, like on the wiki, in regards to who has which palette swap for the Bow-dozer, Chomplet Chariot, Clef Bike, and Coldsmobile. The other alt costumes that are not separate characters have the same palette swap that the default character has. For example, Wario will always have the same palette swaps even if in his WarioWare garb.

A special note for the Bow-dozer is that the Birdos and Baby Birdos mostly have the palette swap with a matching bow. That's why Orange Birdo has the green and dark red swap, because dark red looks brown, and Grey Birdo has the blue and white swap.

To review: Feather weights have light blue boxes, light weights have green boxes, medium weights have dark blue boxes, cruiser weights have red boxes, and heavyweights have dark grey boxes. Alt costumes who count as separate characters all have brown boxes.

bow_dozer_palette_swaps_by_just_call_me_j-dbdsvln.png
chomplet_chariot_palette_swaps_by_just_call_me_j-dbdt5qu.png
clef_bike_palette_swaps_by_just_call_me_j-dbdt95t.png
coldsmobile_color_palette_swaps_by_just_call_me_j-dbdt9kk.png

Hey guys! Remember this thread? I have a new thing. The Bike Frame. Basically the bike equivalent of the Pipe Frame.

bike_frame_palette_swaps_by_just_call_me_j-dc2dkao.png

The bike should be hilariously tiny when heavyweights ride them.

Just imagine Bowser on that.

Part of me wants to make 3D models out of your vehicles and port them to Mario Kart 8 just for the hell of it.

J-Yoshi64 said:
Wow! That's a lot of chapters.

And that’s a hell of a big roster!

Looks great though, your efforts put into these vehicles are remarkable. Nice work!

Baby Luigi said:
Part of me wants to make 3D models out of your vehicles and port them to Mario Kart 8 just for the hell of it.
That'd be amazing. I'd die.

Koops said:
And that’s a hell of a big roster!
It helps that most of them are just alt costumes/skins, so they're not taking up character slots. But otherwise, yeah, I have 80 actual characters total, minus the Mii. Still crazy big.

The Chain Chomp one looks very similar to the Piranha Prowler. Is that intentional?

Baby Luigi said:
The Chain Chomp one looks very similar to the Piranha Prowler. Is that intentional?
I never noticed that before. I was just trying to make it look like a Chain Chomplet, with the two sections instead of just the one orb.

Coming soon:
  • Tulip Trip, a kart based on tulips
  • Road Geode, an ATV based on a geode
I have the Tulip Trip sketched already, I just need to scan it and make the appropriate vectors in Illustrator. I'm currently sketching the Road Geode (which I'm designing with my little Yoshi FC in mind).

I finally finished it! Behold, the Tulip Trip in all its fragrant beauty!

tulip_trip_by_just_call_me_j-dcdv9a4.png

I actually designed it with a non-Mario OC in mind, named Morgan, because tulips are her thing.

The Tulip Trip's back wheels are farther apart than its front wheels. The back wheels are also attached by closed tulip bulbs, which makes it easier to flip into anti-grav. The glider comes out the top petal of the big tulip in the back. The back tulip also serves as the exhaust pipe; the flame is huge.

The Tulip Trip is a very light kart, and as such boasts high acceleration. Unfortunately, its other stats are quite poor. Tulips don't maneuver that well.

This kart comes in three palette swaps:
  • Magenta petals
  • Dark purple petals
  • Red-orange petals with yellow stripes (these tulips have the tulip-breaking virus)
  • White petals
The stems, leaves, and closed bulbs are always the same color green.

As always, here's the obligatory grid of which New Mario Kart characters (and they're alts) would drive which color Tulip Trip.

tulip_trip_palette_swaps_by_just_call_me_j-dcdvavn.png

What palette swap would you or/and your OC/FC(s) have?

Any questions, comments, critiques, concerns, snide remarks?

I imagine what the Road Geode would be like. Kinda weird if you ask me... I mean how can you make THIS...

Purple-Aura-Geode-10_9-featured.jpg.optimal.jpg

Oh wait... that's a Geode... I thought it was that glassy sphere thing.

Back