E3 2017 general topic

Chef Kawasaki said:
Fawful & Cackletta said:
so they didn't mention 3DS at all in the description of their presentation

They actually did.

Nintendo Treehouse: Live at E3, a livestreamed showcase of upcoming games for Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.

I hope SS gets shown, but I don't recall if Nintendo did trailers at the Treehouse stream? Guess we'll find out.
I meant in the first part, not the live gameplay portion since that's unlikely to have a trailer i assume.

Time to be cynical about E3.

Ah. Well I personally don't see why they wouldn't show it, seeing as it seems to be well under way. No trailer is kinda disappointing though.

Despite that, I'm interested enough in Odyssey to want to see it. Glad it's getting focused on.

Landia said:
Nintendo loses E3 again

Nobody wins E3. That's just crap fanboys like to throw at each other to feel good about themselves.

Mcmadness said:
Nobody wins E3. That's just crap fanboys like to throw at each other to feel good about themselves.

wrong.

maybe not including you, but for a lot of people presentation matters a lot in their decision to buy games, as with any other thing really.

If you have a convincing e3 you're less likely to end up as a joke like the wii u did.

or konami

or early ps3

they all had shitty e3 conferences (aaaarguably for the wii u only the 2011, 2012 and 2015 ones were really terrible (since 2016 had none lo))

Koichi Kizakura said:
wrong.

maybe not including you, but for a lot of people presentation matters a lot in their decision to buy games, as with any other thing really.

If you have a convincing e3 you're less likely to end up as a joke like the wii u did.

or konami

or early ps3

they all had *bleep*ty e3 conferences (aaaarguably for the wii u only the 2011, 2012 and 2015 ones were really terrible (since 2016 had none lo))

E3 2007, one of the worst E3's Nintendo ever had for presentation.

They still banked on what they showed.

Nobody wins E3.

E3 2007 was still good compared to 2008

Either way that might have something to do with the fact that the Wii defied core gaming logic in general with its entire approach

No matter how cringy the shit they showed was, they had a Fanbase in a while other sector at that point

That's because E3 isn't for consumers. It never was. They may put on a show but it was never meant for people like you and me, it's primarily for investors. It's a trade show.

Landia said:
I mostly said that only for the memes but really Nintendo is doing what they did last year and focus pretty much on one game.

Which is pretty stupid.
What do you mean?
They're are showing off the Mario game you know the biggest game of the year but they're still doing other stuff.
From what I read in their stock conference call they said they had big games planned to be announced at e3

Mcmadness said:
That's because E3 isn't for consumers. It never was. They may put on a show but it was never meant for people like you and me, it's primarily for investors. It's a trade show.

Not worth investing in something you can't sell to customers, wouldn't you agree?

Koichi Kizakura said:
Not worth investing in something you can't sell to customers, wouldn't you agree?

Which is why E3 doesn't serve the purpose of marketing. Commercials, advertisements, shit like that is what gets the attention of the masses.

Not on the grand scale they try to make you think it does.

E3 is slowly becoming more and more irrelevant as an event as the years go by. It's why all 3 major game companies have started up their own dedicated events and the PC market largely ignores it altogether. You can get just about the same level of information and word of mouth from the average Nintendo Direct than you can the average E3 press conference.

Prime example, the Nintendo Switch, didn't appear at E3 last and had exactly 2 things dedicated to it, it's debut trailer and the live streamed from Japan Switch event and is currently one of the fastest selling Nintendo consoles in quite sometime.

Nobody wins at E3.

The shenmue 3 kickstarter campaign was announced at e3 and became the fastest highest grossing project on the site, also crashing them directly after their part in the conference

Over the last few years, also more smaller publishers like Bethesda found about about the value of e3 presentations and are doing regular ones now

Additionally, there is a dedicated pc gaming show. Sure, that one sucks, but it exists.

E3 is still by far the biggest event in gaming every year and it doesn't look like that's gonna let up any time soon. It's interesting how all 3 big gaming companies hold off with announcements for 2 or so months before the e3

And Just one look on your average message board can give you an idea about how important that whole thing really is

Do I need to continue

Isn't this whole "X company wins E3" just a matter of opinion anyway?

Baby Luigi said:

to some extent, but some conferences are just so endlessly cringey you cant possibly say they won lol

Koichi Kizakura said:
Baby Luigi said:

to some extent, but some conferences are just so endlessly cringey you cant possibly say they won lol

I mean, yeah, you've got Konami acting like idiots on stage, but most companies are less obviously bad than others. It really just depends if the companies have games presented that you want. For example, it doesn't matter how breath-taking Battlefield 1 is, if you don't care about those types of games, they won't win you over.

I'd expect to hear Virtual Console news regarding GameCube.

Hopefully, we might see the new Metroid.

I'd want Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 remasters and Super Mario Galaxy 3. Maybe throw in the Super Mario 3D All-Stars collection which may include remasters of Super Mario 64 (Based on 64DS version), Sunshine, SMG1 and 2, 3D Land, and 3D World.

I'd also expect Smash Bros. as well.

Koichi Kizakura said:
The shenmue 3 kickstarter campaign was announced at e3 and became the fastest highest grossing project on the site, also crashing them directly after their part in the conference

Over the last few years, also more smaller publishers like Bethesda found about about the value of e3 presentations and are doing regular ones now

Additionally, there is a dedicated pc gaming show. Sure, that one sucks, but it exists.

E3 is still by far the biggest event in gaming every year and it doesn't look like that's gonna let up any time soon. It's interesting how all 3 big gaming companies hold off with announcements for 2 or so months before the e3

And Just one look on your average message board can give you an idea about how important that whole thing really is

Do I need to continue

It's shenmue 3. That game could shit in the woods and it's fanbase would be able to track it down.

Because bigger publishers are slowly moving away from it and they were left with big gaps that used to be filled by other companies like THQ, Capcom, Konami among several others. You may not know this but there used to be a lot more than what there is now. Bethesda's addition doesn't change that fact.

It is technically the biggest gaming event of the year but that doesn't make it necessary to the success of what is shown there. Many times has there been something that's been shown off only to ultimately flop or get meh reception overall. prime example is a bunch of shit Ubisoft showed last year like STEEP or Ghost Recon, neither of which did all that great.

Not to mention the size of it's event is due to all the various publishers showing up to show their stuff. If they build up their own events instead where they don't have to share the spotlight with other companies (like Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft have all been doing) then the need to go to an event that doesn't guarantee success is going to become less and less significant. It won't happen right away but the signs are very clear that E3 is becoming slowly more and more irrelevant.

And people on message boards are the minority. We always have been. What makes or breaks a game's sales are the masses and you want to know something?

The Masses don't watch E3

or konami

or early ps3

they all had shitty e3 conferences (aaaarguably for the wii u only the 2011, 2012 and 2015 ones were really terrible (since 2016 had none lo))

The PS3 struggled because it was a bad product at launch, it didn't sell bad because it had a bad E3. Having a bad product is likely to result in a bad E3, but having a bad E3 presentation doesn't necessarily mean you'll flop. Or vice versa, see how well the 3DS was received at E3 2010 vs how it struggled out of the gate. Cause and effect man.

Mcmadness said:
Many times has there been something that's been shown off only to ultimately flop or get meh reception overall. prime example is a bunch of shit Ubisoft showed last year like [...] Ghost Recon, neither of which did all that great.

Where did you get that idea from? The game was #1 in the US for its month of launch and is the best-selling game of the year so far for the UK. If anything, Ghost Recon Wildlands is a great example of how out-of-touch your average message board poster is.

I do agree with the sentiment that what gets moron on message boards all hot and bothered doesn't necessarily translate to mainstream success, and that E3 is no longer the be–all and end–all in a time where companies have more effective ways to market directly to hardcore fans. Various major publishers pulling out of it and E3 opening its doors to the public in 2017 are admissions of that.

Back