Hopes for 3D World Deluxe?

The RPGs are actually what give the characters besides Mario their personalities, such as showing that Bowser is the type of bad guy that doesn't always think through stuff and ends up failing, and is sometimes overestimating himself, and also... well... you see my point. And those traits are still here in Color Splash, when Bowser regains consciousness and begins talking by himself.

Daisy and Rosalina said:
They are more than this:
Bowser is evil
Wario is bad, greedy, gross
Luigi is a coward
Daisy is very very very loud

The thing is, everything that you said is just a generic personality that you could slap onto anyone and instantly create a character. These personality aspects are never explored, developed or anything of the sort since doing so would require story and character development, which is barely ever used in Mario games. That's what makes characters from movies/books/anime/whatever interesting. So while Mario characters have personality, it's never used to make them any more interesting than the initial impression from playing one round of Mario Kart with them. It's what they're designed for, they aren't meant to be deep characters.

The Mario RPGs do a little for characters like Bowser and Luigi, since those games are more story driven and can afford to do stuff like that to make the game interesting, but that's basically it for the main cast.

none of these traits are much semblance of any personality outside of being stock

Personality is not this series strong point. Never has been.

Rosalina has the most personality out of all the characters.

Or at least , the less generic one in Mario games.

everybody else is more of the same tbh.

Swiftie_Luma said:

Heh.

Also, I would like Yoshi to be an optional powerup that changes based on character. It would have 6 colours.

Swiftie_Luma said:

Nah, she's also pretty average. Just your typical cosmic lady who speaks mysteriously.

Lee Chaolan said:
Daisy and Rosalina said:
They are more than this:
Bowser is evil
Wario is bad, greedy, gross
Luigi is a coward
Daisy is very very very loud

The thing is, everything that you said is just a generic personality that you could slap onto anyone and instantly create a character. These personality aspects are never explored, developed or anything of the sort since doing so would require story and character development, which is barely ever used in Mario games. That's what makes characters from movies/books/anime/whatever interesting. So while Mario characters have personality, it's never used to make them any more interesting than the initial impression from playing one round of Mario Kart with them. It's what they're designed for, they aren't meant to be deep characters.

The Mario RPGs do a little for characters like Bowser and Luigi, since those games are more story driven and can afford to do stuff like that to make the game interesting, but that's basically it for the main cast.

The personality traits I've wrote are not the same that your quote has, those you listed are acutally generic, the others are not.

Rosalina? She is ok in terms of personality but that is not her strong point. At all.

explain how any of those characters are not generic.

i'll requote you

Bowser is evil and shows different traits in RPGs.

evil and showing different traits? most competently written villains are already that, but are far more complex and nuanced than "he wants power".

Wario is bad, greedy, gross and the minunderstood one.

"misunderstood"? where did you get this from? all depictions of him portray him as a greedy, selfish slob. i don't see where else he's misunderstood. even so, that's the stock description of someone who looks this way but is actually this instead.

Luigi is a coward that shows some courage when it's necessary, he is also really really clumsy.

most competently written cowards show courage in times of distress. i mean, that's what adrenaline is for.

Daisy is energetic, loud, sassy and tomboyish.

yeah, this sounds completely generic to me.

I mean, don't get me wrong, characters can still be enjoyable despite having bare minimum, generic qualities, but you shouldn't give too much credit to these characters.

Daisy and Rosalina said:
The personality traits I've wrote are not the same that your quote has, those you listed are acutally generic, the others are not.
The only difference was that you mentioned their secondary aspects which are generic for their archetype. Cowardly main characters will always get past their fear to do something heroic for example, Luigi isn't unique in that regard.

Regardless the main point of my post was that the personalities of the characters never gets developed which is what makes them unique. Luigi for example is never going to change, we're not going to see some arc in the story that makes Luigi realise that he shouldn't be trying to be his bro and instead be his own person. Bowser is never going to become a permanent good guy. Wario is never going to change his ways and go to the gym or give out money. Daisy is never going to shut up.

Changing a character by means of the story is what develops a character into having a good personality. Mario characters have got practically nothing because there's barely any story or unique dialogue in general, and that's not going to change.

Edit: Ninja'd by Baby Luigi, she brings out similar points so read that as well.

Baby Luigi said:
explain how any of those characters are not generic.

i'll requote you

Bowser is evil and shows different traits in RPGs.

evil and showing different traits? most competently written villains are already that, but are far more complex and nuanced than "he wants power".

Wario is bad, greedy, gross and the minunderstood one.

"misunderstood"? where did you get this from? all depictions of him portray him as a greedy, selfish slob. i don't see where else he's misunderstood. even so, that's the stock description of someone who looks this way but is actually this instead.

Luigi is a coward that shows some courage when it's necessary, he is also really really clumsy.

most competently written cowards show courage in times of distress. i mean, that's what adrenaline is for.

Daisy is energetic, loud, sassy and tomboyish.

yeah, this sounds completely generic to me.

I mean, don't get me wrong, characters can still be enjoyable despite having bare minimum, generic qualities, but you shouldn't give too much credit to these characters.

I meant that he showed to be akward, more dumb and with a comic side than he usually is, some villains doesn't do it at all, sometimes it feels that he is more an anti-hero than a villain in RPGs.

Wasn't Wario the one that was ignored by anyone in favor of Mario when they were younger?

I guess.

I did not even listed all her traits, she is also competitive, down to earth, more focused on being an athlete and being better than Mario more than doing princess-ish things, thinks lowly of her enemies and make fun of them. I don't see how this is generic, if we want generic personalities, Yoshi and Toad are right here.

Lee Chaolan said:
Daisy and Rosalina said:
The only difference was that you mentioned their secondary aspects which are generic for their archetype. Cowardly main characters will always get past their fear to do something heroic for example, Luigi isn't unique in that regard.

Regardless the main point of my post was that the personalities of the characters never gets developed which is what makes them unique. Luigi for example is never going to change, we're not going to see some arc in the story that makes Luigi realise that he shouldn't be trying to be his bro and instead be his own person. Bowser is never going to become a permanent good guy. Wario is never going to change his ways and go to the gym or give out money. Daisy is never going to shut up.

Changing a character by means of the story is what develops a character into having a good personality. Mario characters have got practically nothing because there's barely any story or unique dialogue in general, and that's not going to change.

Edit: Ninja'd by Baby Luigi, she brings out similar points so read that as well.
Secondary aspects? I listed tomboy and sassy for Daisy and they are the most important traits of her personality and they are presents in almost all her descriptions.

Being tomboyish is not the mark of a well-developed character.

memoryman3 said:
I am afraid to click this thread because of the cringe factor.

whenever i see "last post by memoryman" this is exactly how i feel

Daisy and Rosalina said:
Wasn't Wario the one that was ignored by anyone in favor of Mario when they were younger?

maybe on that one mario comic, but everywhere else threw out that depiction. nongame media can have very different portrayals of characters, super mario-kun is one shining example.

Koopsakimoto said:
Maybe not a delxue editon. probably it will just be a regular port.

Nintendo always add something to it's ports if they are late. I expect Daisy as a playable character, a new Yoshi powerup and a few new worlds.

Super mario sunshine in 3d, Super mario 64 in 3d, Super mario galaxy in 3d, Super mario galaxy 2 in 3d,

Halloween is the best time to come out, time dress up like mario and buy the game with nobody laughing at you because its halloween

Well, now that they've added Daisy in Super Mario Run. They can also add her in Super Mario 3D World Deluxe as extra content. It will be great.

Back