30 Day Video Game Challenge - DAY 30: Your favorite game of all time

Re: 30 Day Video Game Challenge - DAY 3: A game that is underrated

Now if I'm going to interpret underrated as "those who have played it mostly think its incredible but people still don't notice the series" then this honour goes to 999: 9 Hours 9 Persons, 9 Doors hands down

image100708_1452_000.png

The DS gave rise to a number of really niche games that gained cult followings but never really took off as series (Ghost Trick, TWEWY, Hotel Dusk, Elite Beat Agents, to name a few) and while I could've easily named one of those as my most underrated game, the main reason is that I will never pass up an opportunity to gush about one of my most favourite DS games, 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors. Why? Because despite having a complete trilogy the series' following is still really small outside of dedicated circles (iirc the initial reveal for the third game in the series struggled to crack 100000 views for a long while). The game reviewed really well, so perhaps a better word would be "underappreciated", but I still think said ratings are low anyway lol and like I said earlier its still relatively ignored. I digress.

image100708_1449_000.png

In the DS era, before the announcement of the second game of the series (Virtue's Last Reward), 999 was among the other titles I mentioned earlier as a game with a compelling story that couldnt really be told on a single screen. Its a visual novel to the letter, featuring heavy amounts of text and exposition with puzzles sprinkled inbetween. I oft compare it to games like Ace Attorney and DanganRonpa, two much more popular series that employ similar text-based gameplay. Usually there is a lot of overlap in fans between these series, because I dont think I've encountered someone who only likes 999 of those three, so if you like either of those series then 999 is up your alley.

image1610.png

What really made 999 stand out and gain a cult following was the story it had to share (the puzzles were ok at best speaking bluntly, the one above is one of the very first you encounter, but they always related to the overall story in some way). Essentially, 9 people are kidnapped and trapped on a boat captained by a mysterious person known as Zero (who I usually use as a theme for reasons : P), and are forced to play the Nonary Game, which involves them having 9 hours to make alliances and timeline changing decisions to open 9 numbered doors, investigate ordinary rooms modified to contain escape puzzles, and explore the fastly sinking ship theyre stranded on, all in the hopes of seeking a way out and avoiding certain death. In doing so, they try to learn each other's pasts and discover a link that tells them why they were chosen to play this sadistic game and just who their captor Zero is. Its a thrilling, compelling tale full of mystery, murder and suspense, and it oft cited as one of the best DS games to take full advantage of the dual screens. I cannot recommend it enough. Usually you can find it online or if you're willing to wait, a steam port is coming out Soon(tm), and I totally intend to add a copy or two to the awards pile if time permits.

But yeah please play and enjoy it if you can.

Also, Ace Attorney Investigations is a close second.

Stella Glow is probably underrated, really fun game that managed to make me actually do a full second playthrough immediately after I had finished it. Generally I can start a second playthrough but lose interest after a few hours, but I didn't with this one. I can count on one hand the amount of games that I've done that with. I could even count the amount on one finger. what im saying is i really enjoyed this game.

Unfortunately Imageepoch went bankrupt and so this was their swan song. There was some minor sequel bait right at the end of the game that will never see the light of day.

W0ybvav.jpg

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 is probably one of the best DBZ games around. A whopping roster of 160 characters, engaging gameplay, a rocking soundtrack, and even a neat encyclopedia. If it weren't for this game, I wouldn't have gotten into Dragon Ball and anime in general.

I feel like HeartGold and SoulSilver are generally underrated. They're regarded as good games, but I personally believe that they're the best Pokemon remakes.

For me, the entire Mario Party series has lukewarm reviews but I really love it.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and Mario Sports Superstars also fall under their rather tepid Metacritic scores but games I really loved.

Spore is perhaps another contender as I also love that game to death.

GBAToad said:
Now if I'm going to interpret underrated as "those who have played it mostly think its incredible but people still don't notice the series"[...]

The DS gave rise to a number of really niche games that gained cult followings but never really took off as series (Ghost Trick [...])

I had absolutely no idea what game I'd be able to call underrated but you gave me ideas, thanks dude

so yeah guess I'll go with Ghost Trick. puzzles are enjoyable, story is great, cast is superb, everything is just great. developed by the same guy who was responsible for Ace Attorney too. if you're a fan of those games this might be worth checking out

I'm bad at words just play it anyway

Lilligant said:
I feel like HeartGold and SoulSilver are generally underrated. They're regarded as good games, but I personally believe that they're the best Pokemon remakes.
>HG/SS underrated
>looks at the 60 dollar price tag minimum on every used copy
ehhhhhhhhh i dont know about that :P I really think most Pokemon fans regard HG/SS as the best or very close to it.

IDK what mine would be. Probably Dust: An Elysian Tale because of how beautiful the game is. I just don't hear many people talk about it.

A great underrated game eh? Well i'm gonna have to go with Donkey Kong Country 3. For a lot of people this is the worst DKC game but for me it's the best one. Scaling back the difficulty was a great idea that made it just a funner experience. It's telling that out of all the DKC games this is the only one that i've beaten more then once.
Another gem is Super Mario Land sure it can be beaten in under an hour but it's a super solid game that's a lot of fun and being able to be beaten in less then an hour is just part of the charm.

Was gonna say 999 but in order to stay original let's go for something else

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_9

Does anyone remember that game except for me?

No

Did I like it?

Yes

Case in point I think it's underrated.

I would say Metroid Prime: Federation Force.

The game is so fun with multiplayer, and it's obvious all levels were designed for 4 players, when you see the amont of ennemies and the split objectives. All missions are very diverse, MODs let you customize your Mech (offensive, defensive, support...) and getting them all, along with trying to get 3 medals at every missions, add replay value. The multiplayer options is exactly what Nintendo should do for all their games: no region lock (unlike in Triforce Heroes), you can play online with 1 or 2 friends and let strangers join your room to fill the missing spots.
Difficulty is good, hard mode is indeed very hard if played solo. Blast Ball is quite fun, although campaign is much better imo. Really, the only downside I see for this game is that MODs can break when you die, which is annoying when you use rare ones. Another I could tell, is the low number of active players, but it's not really the game fault. This game did not deserve the hate it got, sure it's not the classic Metroid game people were expecting, but it definitively feels like Metroid Prime, and I say it again, it's a blast with 4 players. I would say you to give it a try, but with so few actives players, it's hard to play missions at 4 people without waiting for a long time, and that's such a bummer.

Donkey Kong Barrel Blast

It has a diverse roster, amazing soundtrack, balanced items and great racetracks.

smasher already said ghost trick so i'll just go with my usual answer of drill dozer

magician's quest mysterious times was also pretty good. and chibi robo. i talked about all 3 of these in my ask thread already, incidentally

Both the Super Mario Land games. They are both really creative and fun but they seem to be traditionally ignored for some reason. Not sure why that is.

im going to interpret this as a game that isn't really well-loved, so:

poker night 2. i have a free code for this if anyone wants. it's nothing amazing, but for what it is, it works perfectly - a great poker simulator with a bunch of great, depraved characters, including of course GLaDOS. the jokes are great, the AI isn't too bad, and it's just a fun time overall

idk i don't really have controversial opinions on games i guess

My guilty pleasure game is either Wii Sports Resort, Tomodachi Life or Animal Crossing New Leaf.

The first one because table tennis, swordfight and island flyover are so much fun.

Tomodachi Life because it's a game about nothing and also I can dump a good hour or so into just making miis of random shit. Maybe I could just list making miis as a guilty pleasure as well because its stupid but so satisfying to be able to race as chrom in mk8 or something. Case in point I already have a sidon mii on the switch because holy shit colour options for everything squeeee

And lastly, Animal Crossing because you can do so much for hours and accomplish nothing except change the layout of a room from evil laboratory to Japanese interior or idk plant fruit. Harmless fun except when your recent cherry plantation gets flattened by tucker or fucking hamphrey

Re: 30 Day Video Game Challenge - DAY 4: Your guilty pleasure game

Senran Kagura. Probably Estival Versus the most though.

it's pretty much just button mashing and cute girls in bikinis for 40 hours. Estival Versus is the most polished of the three I've played, but it's by far the most over the top in its absurdity. Can't say I don't enjoy it though.

I think it was more of a guilty pleasure back when I only played Burst but now that I own three of them I think I've just given up on being embarrassed about playing titty ninja games.

Kirby Triple Deluxe. I love everything about the game and if I ever need a pick-me-up, this is the game to do it

I would probably violate several rules talking about my guild pleasure game here so I'm just gonna say super paper Mario because I used to love that game

Super Smash Bros. Melee

I sometimes turn the game on and beat up Captain Fabulous continously just to hear his hilarious KO scream.

I don't really feel this way towards any game I play, but I guess I'll go with Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash, Darkspore, and Mario Sports Superstars. Which would also fit as "underrated games".

I kind of like playing sonic 06 from time to time because at least the sonic levels are fun

Mariofan169 said:
I kind of like playing sonic 06 from time to time because at least the sonic levels are fun

Same tbh

Back