Is Birdo a bird or a dinosaur?

I'm not so sure Birdo is either of them. But out of the two, she (he? [it?]) is most likely a dinosaur.

Magikrazy said:
Or maybe it's just some nonsense name with no meaning. Just because it's named Birdo doesn't have to mean somebody thought it was a bird.

yeah but the name should have to come from somewhere. boo makes sense. goomba sorta does. same with bowser. what does "birdo" even mean?

and to me, it sounds like the sounds she makes in SMB2 sounds like "POW"

Luigi 64DD said:
I'm not so sure Birdo is either of them. But out of the two, she (he? [it?]) is most likely a dinosaur.
She. If she wishes to be called a "she", then you call her a she. More answers available from our friendly transgendered community members. :)

maybe birdo is neither and, instead, a lepidosaur

i don't see how she looks like a lizard in any way

Baby Luigi said:
Magikrazy said:
Or maybe it's just some nonsense name with no meaning. Just because it's named Birdo doesn't have to mean somebody thought it was a bird.

yeah but the name should have to come from somewhere. boo makes sense. goomba sorta does. same with bowser. what does "birdo" even mean?

i guess it went something like this:

this creature's attacks by shooting eggs.
birds lay eggs.
therefore, by power of substitution, this creature must be a bird.
(never mind that reptiles, fish, insects, etc. also lay eggs, we don't know anything about biology)
so let's call it birdo because we can't think of anything creative.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Funny, Yoshi was pretty birdlike during its conception.

Yoshi_concept.png

Oh, and hai, Toad Eightfive! Welcome back, even if it's only for a little while.

well, most people agree that birdo is the same species as yoshi, and the best source I could find labels yoshi, and therefore birdos, as anapsids

Um no?

Nobody agrees to that , Birdos are Birdos and Yoshis are Yoshis , different species.

Similar? Maybe

The same? not at all.

Aside from maybe the eggs, I don't see any resemblence between a bird and Birdo, so I'd say she's a dinosaur (not that birds aren't dinosaurs, as previously mentioned). However, according to Birdo's physical description section on the wiki, she is apparently a bird. From the source given:

7. "If you want to beat this bothersome bird, catch the eggs he launches at you and wing 'em back." - Super Mario Bros. 2 Inside Out, Part I. Page 7.

I feel like this is probably a false localization quirk based on the name though. I'm not entirely sure if any Japanese material says anything about Birdo being a bird (especially since Birdo's name in Japan is Catherine) but until we get some more recent confirmation I'm just going to say she's a dinosaur.

Swiftie_Luma said:
Similar? Maybe

The same? not at all.

when discussing orders, similar and the same aren't really that differet

in my opinion, birdo is an entoproct.

1Ku0jQGppeWzec4jIyq5.png

tardograd2 said:
when discussing orders, similar and the same aren't really that differet

yes they are....??

Some dinosaurs are more related to chickens than they are to lizards. Manatees, look like dolphins, but are actually more related to pachyderms like elephants and hippos than they are to dolphins.

Unless their species are horribly sexually dimorphic and their private parts are on their faces (Birdo has a cavity, Yoshi has a long thingy thing.........) then I think it's safe to assume they're different species.

Different species don't necessarily have to be drastically different either.

Magikrazy said:
Swiftie_Luma said:
Maybe "Birdo!" is the sound she makes when she spits an egg out of her mouth.

When Birdo was named ''Birdo'' she didnt have the current sounds she makes , she had a full voice.
Full voice? Are you confusing Super Mario Bros. 2 with the Game Boy Advance remake?

Either way, her modern noises weren't what I was talking about. I was talking about the noise she makes when she spits out an egg in SMB2.

No , and the sfx Birdo makes in her original debut is not even close to her saying or even trying to say ''Birdo'' , its clearly some generic sfx for the limited hardware.

Baby Luigi said:
elephants and hippos

what? hippos are closer to bats than elephants

Is Birdo a hippo? No

Is Birdo an elephant? No

Is Birdo an attatck helicopter? Maybe

Is Birdo having second hand embarassment at this whole subject? Absolutely

birdo is an entoproct. how else can her crown have an egg in it without her putting it in?

Birdo is a violin.

Exhibit A: Both have bows.
Exhibit B: Both have necks.
Exhibit C: Both make noise.

Birdo is a birdo. simple as that.

Back