Ideal roster for future Mario Kart games

Meh, aside from taking some game development time, I don't see why people would be opposed to costumes. It's not like you have to use them.

LeftyGreenMario said:
Chickensuit.jpg

It's an opportunity to indulge in the crazy and/or forgotten, that's what I'm saying.

i.e. fan service.

Well if wacky costumes are in the game, I won't use them, but I'll have to look at them when other people use them!
Also, it isn't even fan service. Just because 2-3 people want them on the marioboards, it doesn't mean that Mario fans care about such BS.

@Swiftie Luma:
1. DLC with Link/ Isabelle etc. was added because Nintendo wanted to introduce non-Mario characters to the series. I didn't address your DLC point cause it was pointless.
2. Penguin/ Cat/ Frog/ Tanooki are all costumes featured in mainstream Mario games. You can't have a Crocodile costume because it's random/ pointless/ wacky etc...

Hey, I've got an idea! How about wacky costumes for just the Miis? That would be like Smash 4. Miis are meant to be customizable, so it would make sense. It's not a bad compromise.

FunkyKong84 said:
2. Penguin/ Cat/ Frog/ Tanooki are all costumes featured in mainstream Mario games. You can't have a Crocodile costume because it's random/ pointless/ wacky etc...
A crocodile costume would be no less weird on Mario than a cat costume. The only difference is the hypothetical croc costume would first appear in a Mario Kart game.

So what's your point? Weird costumes can debut in the Super Mario games, but not Mario Kart? Why is that?

Is there any reason Mario Kart needs to take itself more seriously than Super Mario?

FunkyKong84 said:
@Swiftie Luma:
1. DLC with Link/ Isabelle etc. was added because Nintendo wanted to introduce non-Mario characters to the series. I didn't address your DLC point cause it was pointless.

1. No , you didnt adress it because you have no points.

I literally put it as an example as for Nintendo to do as they please which means that they don't have the ''limits'' you pretend that they have.

Nobody cares why they were added, the sole fact that they are in there for whatever reason says that anything can happen and anything can be included.

2. So? Because a grown man in a moustache with a high voice wearing a Cat costume is not wacky enough ...

Luigi 64DD said:
Hey, I've got an idea! How about wacky costumes for just the Miis? That would be like Smash 4. Miis are meant to be customizable, so it would make sense. It's not a bad compromise.
Nope, Miis already get this *bleep*, I don't want it be restricted to stupid Miis.

FunkyKong84 said:
Also, it isn't even fan service. Just because 2-3 people want them on the marioboards, it doesn't mean that Mario fans care about such BS.
Fuck yeah, it is. It's a treat for the insane Mario nerds who know shit like predevelopment trivia.

FunkyKong84 said:

A lot of new and interesting ideas Nintendo does frequently, "no one" "wants" them. Anti-gravity is one of them.

I don't see why you're so against having new and different costumes. What do you lose if they're in the game, exactly? And don't say development time towards other things, that's not the answer I'm looking for.

Swiftie_Luma said:
FunkyKong84 said:
@Swiftie Luma:

1. No , you didnt adress it because you have no points.

I literally put it as an example as for Nintendo to do as they please which means that they don't have the ''limits'' you pretend that they have.

Nobody cares why they were added, the sole fact that they are in there for whatever reason says that anything can happen and anything can be included.

2. So? Because a grown man in a moustache with a high voice wearing a Cat costume is not wacky enough ...

Nonsense. You refuse to accept the fact that Nintendo doesn't just do things randomly. If it's going to be a random character, it's going to be exceptional and usually only one character per game, e.g. Pink Gold Peach, Funky Kong, ROB.

Anything else is pretty predictable and based on existing Mario characters/ power-ups.

You'll never have a Mario Kart game with all the wacky nonsense you so deeply desire, so snooze, you lose.

I'm only going to give you one more chance to reply because if you again come back with negativity and bitterness, I'm going to block you. Bye bye

Oh my kami-sama pls don't block meeee , what the fuck am i gonna do if that happens ... :'( :'(
Do as you please , all of us have free will after all. :rosalina:

I don't agree with your nonsense , and im not the only one. If that's a big problem for you , too bad , but it happens , that's life.

Peace :rosalina:

FunkyKong84 said:
You'll never have a Mario Kart game with all the wacky nonsense you so deeply desire, so snooze, you lose.
thread title said:
Ideal roster for future Mario Kart games
Ideal roster
FunkyKong84 said:
I'm only going to give you one more chance to reply because if you again come back with negativity and bitterness, I'm going to block you. Bye bye
Yeah, use those moderator privileges you definitely have and block that toxic son of a heck! :diddy: :diddy: :diddy: :buzzy: :diddy:

Ugh, what has this thread become? Remember, these are opinions about what people want in a videogame. Nobody's opinions are wrong. Let's just go back to talking about what characters we want.

As long as my two mains are there (Donkey Kong and Peach), I'm happy. I wish however that Petey returned, and that Toadsworth and E. Gadd became playable.

As long as new costumes aren't just things like this:
3iFr6VN.png

It isn't meant to be good quality palette swapping, it's just an example of an uninspired, lazy recolour. Stuff like this I wince at in Smash Bros.

I'm down with whatever they do, no harm done in some zany variation to characters. Do you think generics would get entire new models for costumes or just recolours?

On topic, I'd be interested in an RPG rep, maybe Fawful since he's got multiple game appearances and is more tolerable than Starlow. I'm expecting Nabbit though; he's showing up a lot, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets in Mario Kart.

I don't get why you don't like all original new recolors. Recolors are an easy job to make, especially compared to modeling new models, they take zero time and effort and resources to make compared to that. It's better to have recolors as an option than no option at all, which no options is even lazier than making recolors. Also, there's nothing preventing devs from making new costumes AND recolors by the way.

The Pyro Guy said:
As long as new costumes aren't just things like this:
It isn't meant to be good quality palette swapping, it's just an example of an uninspired, lazy recolour. Stuff like this I wince at in Smash Bros.
At the same time, they then give freaking Miis alternate costumes.

Jesus Christ, I can give Mario something like this for free (AND not replace any existing recolors, I mean straight out add a recolor) and they charge you for stupid Mii costumes.
57bf7fcf9d631.jpg

Anyhow, would you be okay with this kind of alternate color? It's utlimately a retexture, but I like it.

574b84edba740.jpg

I mean, I'm okay with recolors. It's what made me who I am, but sticking to just one model/palette is kind of annoying when a lot of other games provide more.

Love it too, even though Dr. Mario was technically used as a base. Dig the hair style.

Oh, I got another solution: give us some source developer kit tools you Miyamoto slime bags, so we can shut up about complaining about the lack of options. I mean, either way, the modders are just going to crack your compiling methods given any amount of time, so just give up.

I still am patiently waiting for someone to ''accidentaly'' leak the tools to be able to insert custom SFX in Mario Kart 8.

Im on a unofficial mission of correcting what Nintendo did to Rosalina , one game at a time.

I see nothing wrong with costumes. If I could choose, I'd pick Nurse Peach, Fire Peach and Shadow Queen or maybe even her wizard outfit from Mario Party 2.

Baby Luigi said:
I don't get why you don't like all original new recolors. Recolors are an easy job to make, especially compared to modeling new models, they take zero time and effort and resources to make compared to that.
They may be easy to make, but that's precisely why I dislike them. They show a lack of effort and originality, especially when they make these palettes up on the spot. I can see why a developer would like it, but I still think it's lazy and a cheap way of adding 'content'.

It's better to have recolors as an option than no option at all, which no options is even lazier than making recolors. Also, there's nothing preventing devs from making new costumes AND recolors by the way.
Frankly, I disagree. If I wanted a certain character in Smash Bros., I would rather have it not there over it being a clone or cheap imitation of an already existing character. In a more related argument, I think that adding recolours just for the sake of increasing the numbers is a cheap way of doing it. If you want to advertise new costumes that are just recolours, at least make them make sense.

Regarding the last sentence, I don't really understand your point. Yeah, nothing stops devs from doing both. Not really disagreeing with ya on that.

LeftyGreenMario said:
That looks pretty decent!

Anyhow, would you be okay with this kind of alternate color? It's utlimately a retexture, but I like it.

574b84edba740.jpg
Yeah, I'm cool with that. The creator (I presume no one on this forum, feel free to correct me) didn't just change the hue values but added something new and original, which is something I appreciate.

I mean, I'm okay with recolors. It's what made me who I am, but sticking to just one model/palette is kind of annoying when a lot of other games provide more.
Sure, I'm fine with using a recolour to identify a User; I swear most of our userbase is made up of recolours. Like, your recolour has a meaning: "LeftyGreenMario's avatar", but a Mario with a green cap and pink dungarees means nothing and shouldn't be included in games.

I should probably clarify my opinion to prevent any misunderstandings. I don't like recolours if they don't represent anything, don't mean anything and/or have no effort put into them. In Smash Bros., Mario's Fire Alt is okay, as with his Waluigi and other inspired alts. Others which have no clear meaning I just can't get myself to like, since the clear lack of effort from the devs irks me.

Luigi 64DD said:
Let's just go back to talking about what characters we want.
I know the arguing stopped, but I'm tired of talking about recolors and costumes. Can we talk about characters? That's actually the point of this thread.

I dont want anybody in particular , as i only play as 2 characters in Mario Kart literally and they are already in the game , one of them ever since SMK

So , no much comments here.

The Pyro Guy said:
They may be easy to make, but that's precisely why I dislike them. They show a lack of effort and originality, especially when they make these palettes up on the spot. I can see why a developer would like it, but I still think it's lazy and a cheap way of adding 'content'.

So basically: Mario Kart 8 is a better game because it doesn't allow me to paint my car blue, because allowing me to paint my car blue would be lazy, moreso than not giving me the option at all.

The Pyro Guy said:

I mean, as opposed to not making recolors at all which I'd argue doing nothing is lazier than making recolors? Because that's the time and resources comparison to that. Making recolors and alternate costumes are a world of difference in terms of effort from each other.

There's no games that I know that advertises recolors as an alternate costume. It's 100% a side thing that allows users to customize their game further, like paintjobs, car decals and all of that vehicle modding in other racing games.

The Pyro Guy said:
Frankly, I disagree. If I wanted a certain character in Smash Bros., I would rather have it not there over it being a clone or cheap imitation of an already existing character. In a more related argument, I think that adding recolours just for the sake of increasing the numbers is a cheap way of doing it. If you want to advertise new costumes that are just recolours, at least make them make sense.

And you say adding recolors in is somehow """"lazier"""" than not adding recolors at all. They add recolors for optional customization. Optional. You don't have to use White Kirby if you don't feel like to. I enjoy using White Kirby, Blue-White Mega Man, Pink Robin, etc because all of these recolors allow me to further customize characters I like.

The Pyro Guy said:
I should probably clarify my opinion to prevent any misunderstandings. I don't like recolours if they don't represent anything, don't mean anything and/or have no effort put into them. In Smash Bros., Mario's Fire Alt is okay, as with his Waluigi and other inspired alts. Others which have no clear meaning I just can't get myself to like, since the clear lack of effort from the devs irks me.

Recolors have effort put into them. Nearly all of them are clean changing hues of a particular area and they're mostly a pleasing color contrast combination of colors that suit the character out. And some that don't, they're fine too, because you don't have to use them.

They do have effort, I don't get what you're saying. Hell, basing recolors off existing characters have even less effort put into them than making up recolors on the spot, because the colors are already there for the texture artists to draw inspiration from.

Back