2001: A Mario Odyssey

winstein said:
With the fact that there are spoilers abound, I am wondering if anyone here felt that the game is somewhat less amazing, due to the game's surprises being discovered before playing this game. I imagine that everybody who have seen them won't mind because I am sure you all will still have a good time even when knowing some details with the game. I haven't actually seen them because I felt that it would dampen my enjoyment if I learned too much about it (I pre-ordered this game already). It looks like this game will be a grand adventure, so it's important that I am able to discover them myself.

It's funny because I played Sunshine after knowing many things about it, such as the final boss, but I still learn about some things I didn't know, like how the final boss isn't as easy as speed runs made them out to be, and how the deadly river level is incredibly difficult (ground-pounding on the lotus pad is a death sentence). Likewise for 3D World, which I watched playthroughs but still having a good time. I guess a point could be made with Mario games not being about the story, compared to something like Xenoblade that thrives on its story, but still, getting the game with limited knowledge about it feels better compared to knowing too much about it.

Thank you for reading.
I was starting to think that as I watched.

I got bored of watching this player, he isn't that great and at times is clueless and it seems like he's never played a Mario game. An example would be that he kept using Goombas far away to create a stack to reach something high up when there was something else that made it easier and quicker to reach. Even at times he was aimlessly walking around and just doing nothing.

I'll admit I did spoil myself way too much but was it worth it? Yes, I am so excited to play the game myself. And it's better because I get to make my own decisions and play how I play. The player jumped around and didn't explore much or passed things I thought looked interesting. The story was kind of what I had in mind. Hate to spoil it, but it goes like every other Mario game. Mario saves Peach. Yes there was a slight twist and Odyssey added some cool things to it but it's essentially a usual basic Mario story.

But the game is packed with so many references it's insane. I'm even surprised Nintendo even did some things, they are just things you wouldn't expect but you could see being in a mod or a hack. Also I watched just to confirm some theories or ideas I did have and well... there was a lot I had in mind that came true.

As for content and post-Final Boss content, it's a lot. More than any other Mario game and more than I even thought.

infinite8 said:
b7y35urf7itz.png

:eekdance:

Ok, enough game spoilers for now
I hope we can take :yoshi: to other kingdoms. That would be amazing. Even if I am not able to capture other things, this would be nice.

Yes, there's an 8-bit Rosalina sprite that was found in the game, on the building at the end of the Darker Side of the Moon which is essentially Champion's Road with the characters at the beginning instead of the end, but since some Moons are still missing we don't know more about this.

October Yoshi said:
infinite8 said:
b7y35urf7itz.png

I hope we can take :yoshi: to other kingdoms. That would be amazing. Even if I am not able to capture other things, this would be nice.
Maybe I better stay away from this thread entirely...

Luigi 64DD said:
October Yoshi said:
infinite8 said:
b7y35urf7itz.png

Maybe I better stay away from this thread entirely...
I think both of these posts should be edited for spoilers :P

If you're even questioning spoilering something, you probably should

Man it is going to be harder than I thought to avoid as much spoilers possible until Christmas.

;D
I can't believe Darth Koopa was Mario Pipewalker's father! This is making me question everything about the franchise now...[/spoiler.]

I really hope Amazon delivers the game and amiiibos in time, so that I can start playing it before getting spoilered too much...

Has anybody used the Diddy amiibo to find out what it unlocks? It has been speculated that a monkey costume would be unlocked (even though we never see the monkey costume in promotional material so far), so has anybody confirmed this?

Moreover, the Luigi, Wario and Waluigi amiibo appear to unlock costumes. Do they unlock Mario costumes with different colours based on the mentioned characters?

Finally, I wonder what Wedding Bowser would unlock, given what Wedding Peach unlocks.

Thank you for reading.

The Once-ler said:
It is a monkey costume with Diddy's hat and shirt.
They give you a monkey suit with hat and shirt, but a gorilla suit with DK's tie doesn't appear in the game. A missed opportunity.

However I see why it didn’t make it.

Donkey doesn’t have a hat.

Music tracks are getting uploaded.
It begins.

The music are the only spoilers I wanna peek into before I get this game, it’s that great. Can’t wait to hear more music from this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZxEZ4-zf2I

The "Odyssey, ya see" part has lots of Donkey Kong arcade references: the 25m theme, the jump over barrel SFX, and her sprite animation.

*looks in Amazon*

"Preparing for shipment."

Amazon pls you are killing me.

Back