2001: A Mario Odyssey

Re: NEW 3D MARIO

Whether or not it is Super Mario Galaxy 3, I am interested. I also have seen a tread that Nintendo usually does. It is showcase only the first part of a game most often. If this is true about this game, this is the main area which will grow once you complete platformer missions.

I'm looking forward to it because in my opinion 3D Mario games are always good. I have yet to play a 3D Mario that I didn't really enjoy.

I have next to no hype, considering the footage isn't enough to get me excited over the game, and it looks to be still in very early stages of development.

I have as much hype as a 5 second clip of Mario can bring to a Mario fanatic who really likes it's platformer games that aren't a simple NSMB game.

Magikrazy said:
Why is everyone assuming this is a sequel to a previous 3D Mario game?
knowing nintendo, that's not too bold of an assumption imo
of course I'd be very happy to see a completely new game, but as of now it seems pretty similar to the other 3d games, so it's likely a sequel/followup rather than a whole new thing.

Magikrazy said:
Why is everyone assuming this is a sequel to a previous 3D Mario game?

Past trends. If it's not a direct sequel it will at least take elements from them.

Some quick observations I made:

Mario's cap now has a unique falling animation when he lands after jumping, suggesting that the cap is not part of Mario's head but it's own model. This combined with the crazy cap store make it seem likely that you can change caps. Since there might be two player, it'll probably be Luigi and he could change as well. Mario with a sombrero when.

This one seems obvious but the ice (pretty sure that it's ice) might be the reason Mario is in this desert in the first place, Bowser or someone (Dry Bowser maybe, suiting the Mexican theme?) has infested the desert with ice, which explains why ice is randomly in a desert. The town is also covered in it so progressing might remove that ice, allowing more things to unlock and such. The whole thing seems very much like Isle Delfino. This might also mean no Fire Flower in the hub world?

Dry Bowser suiting the mexican theme , let me guess , just because he is made of bones (and has 0 relation to mexico AFAIK) ???

Ok , no.

I still hold onto more Galaxy themed stuff because it looks like its gonna be there.

Considering that all of the NPCs are skeletons and they have a skull plastered on the wall, as well as Mexico having the Festival of the Dead (hence why the NPCs are skeletons) I don't see why Dry Bowser wouldn't suit it more. I'm not saying that it's certain I'm just saying that it wouldn't be suprising.

Ninelevendo said:
Some quick observations I made:

Mario's cap now has a unique falling animation when he lands after jumping, suggesting that the cap is not part of Mario's head but it's own model. This combined with the crazy cap store make it seem likely that you can change caps. Since there might be two player, it'll probably be Luigi and he could change as well. Mario with a sombrero when.

Mario's hat had always been its own model, since Galaxy or Sunshine. It's much easier to create a cap from a separate mesh than extrude the hat outward from his head.

This game isn't anything new in that department. They just wanted to give more animations to more actions, thus emphasis on the detail.

Guess I know nothing about models haha

The extra detail particularly on the cap though does make me think that the cap can be repalced and the animations carry over for different hats that have certain effects when landing, like having something on it that would move.

Or they could just be giving detail and nothing else like you said. Guess we will find out.

You did mention the crazy hat store, so maybe they might have several hats like how they did in Super Mario 64

Or Mario can buy a sombrero to go with his sunshine shirt and sunglasses he never wears.

New 3D Mario Hat Simulator it is, I guess.

Striker Mario said:
New 3D Mario Hat Simulator it is, I guess.

Team Fortress 2 Mario edition

I say it is a game that mixes together Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario 64DS, Super Mario Galaxies, and Super Mario 3D World. How they will do this? I do not know, but it will be great no matter what.

I'd rather they focus on one element than try to do everything at once

If you try and combine too many elements that are too different together, none of them would be given enough attention to reach their potential and instead end of being a mess.

NSY said:
If you try and combine too many elements that are too different together, none of them would be given enough attention to reach their potential and instead end of being a mess.
Are you trying to imply Sonic 2006 isn't a great showcase of a multitude of different gameplay styles?

I prefer not judging this game like everyone did to pm color splash (which turned out to be a cool game actually) because we barely know any detail about it. I do find it interesting though

TheFarmboy said:
A Mario 3D game, and it looks like 64/Sunshine? Already I'm liking it.
I do have to mostly agree on this one, I'm not a marketing guy, but in my opinion:
  • if they wanted to show a new Super Mario Galaxy, they would have shown planetoids and Mario being launched by a Launch Star
  • if they wanted to show a new Super Mario 64, they would have focused on showing first and foremost familiar locations (Peach's Castle, grassland, iced land, egyptian desert) with a focus on exploration, moveset as well as platforming
  • if they wanted to show a new Super Mario 3D games they would have shown simplified settings, classical 2D Mario elements such as ? Blocks, camera angles that tend to be diagonal and simultaneous multipalyer
what they showed first and foremost was instead a realistic town setting with original characters that was immediately recognizable, we also saw Mario performing a Triple Jump, what is interesting though is the second scene: we had a desert temple setting along with golden rings (from Super Mario 3D World), a floating heart (similar to that of Super Mario 64), a Bill Blaster and the Long Jump (present in both games), suggesting that from a settings point of view this might be a "sequel" to Super Mario Sunshine that from a gameplay point of view might be similar to Super Mario 64 while also borrowing some elements from Super Mario 3D World.
So, yes, I think Nintendo wanted to tell us that this very preliminary game aims to be Sunshinesque with a gameplay reminiscent of Super Mario 64 and modern elements as well.

Koops the koopa troopa said:
I prefer not judging this game like everyone did to pm color splash (which turned out to be a cool game actually) because we barely know any detail about it. I do find it interesting though

don't worry, the mario rpgs have the most toxic mario fanbase, no other mario series comes close.

Also, the difference between this and Sticker Star is that this game is still true to its roots unlike Sticker Star.

Back