Mario Sports Superstars

They're stupid-looking Koopaling thingies. Just, ugh.

Kritters actually look badass even though they're only basic enemies in Donkey Kong games. Unlike Boom Boom which just look like dopey oversized Koopa jocks.

Does not sound too far fetched when you are looking at literally generic enemies of a species that has been milked to death having dead , winged , golden and even old counterparts.

Besides Boom Boom is not likeable at all. What does he do besides being generic and irrelevant?

Nothing at all.

*shrugs* Does about as much as Rosalina does.

Rosalina is at least very pretty. *.*

Besides, all I said was that I liked Boom Boom, not that I wanted him/them to get some kind of major role or anything. I think them as mini-bosses or goalies or whatever is perfectly fine and I don't miss the kritters.

Unless K.Rool came with em, then by all means let's have Kritters

Kritters were here first! Anyhow, I like them mainly because they look great and they're not even from Mario games. It's refreshing to see a face from a Donkey Kong Country game in a Mario game. It's unfortunate that Super Sluggers did this, but no other game in the future has capitalized on it. I hope Super Mario Odyssey actually does something with those names, but I don't have high hopes since Nintendo seems more interested in introducing more bland characters like those goddamn bunnies.

Swiftie_Luma said:
Mcmadness said:
*shrugs* Does about as much as Rosalina does.

You wish.

Thanks for participating though.

She stands around for 2 games and is a main playable character in a third.

Boom Boom is a recurring boss in about 4 games. Seems pretty even to me.

To avoid the pointless long discussion , i will keep it short and say

I just LOVE the fact that i just said that i dont find Boom Boom relevant or unique , which to the extend it's true. He is just part of an species and a little minion.

And you quickly retaliate by bringing out Rosalina , for no particular reason.

Let me guess , you thought bringing up my favorite would trigger me.

Too bad it does not really work that way , since as much as you want to pretend Rosalina is to levels of a little minion Koopa who has nothing at all is gonna be of some importance that's just not gonna happen.

That's just it.

Mcmadness can't talk trash about my favorite character when it comes to playing roles. Heeheehee. He also happens to be Mcmadness's 2nd favorite. Heheheheh.

My soccer team's gonna be me, my bro as a baby, a bunch of meowing freaks, and Boob Boob.

I do realize that I was being a bit harsh especially towards BLOF and (also LGM a little bit) but I do apologize. I did feel caught up in the heat. But I was trying to explain a cold hard fact that every game developer knows really well and what the professional game reviewers know very well. Reviewers on IGN, GameSpot and other professional sites are filled with people who know about game development and have actually studied it. They know exactly what I was talking about.

I thought you said you were not talking about Ultra Smash anymore.

Well , i guess we are not very consistent atm.

Swiftie_Luma said:
To avoid the pointless long discussion , i will keep it short and say

I just LOVE the fact that i just said that i dont find Boom Boom relevant or unique , which to the extend it's true. He is just part of an species and a little minion.

And you quickly retaliate by bringing out Rosalina , for no particular reason.

Let me guess , you thought bringing up my favorite would trigger me.

Too bad it does not really work that way , since as much as you want to pretend Rosalina is to levels of a little minion Koopa who has nothing at all is gonna be of some importance that's just not gonna happen.

That's just it.

Because I don't judge the importance of a character based what their role is in the series "lore" or how "generic" they are.

They are both fairly minor characters serving fairly minor importance to the franchise at large.

LeftyGreenMario said:
Mcmadness can't talk trash about my favorite character when it comes to playing roles. Heeheehee. He also happens to be Mcmadness's 2nd favorite. Heheheheh.

Well I can't talk trash about Mario because he's the main character. He's the most important of all.

If this is supposed to be the quintessential road to Superstardom, well, it looks very, uh, underwhelming.

MarioSportsSuperstarsScreenshot3.png

[me=LeftyGreenMario]tries desperately to stay on topic as Mariawnd is dragging this longer than it should be and Swiftfly and Mcnuggets are arguing about how awesome the characters they like are and how not awesome characters they don't like are.[/me]

Nah , not buying that.

We know that's not true.

Rosalina is so unimportant that she quickly became playable after 1 appearence , and has become a mainstay character that has always been treated as main.

Because Rosalina is soooo unimportant she managed to be in Smash , and its always the newcomer in the new installments of Mario Spin off games.

Because Rosalina is soooo unimportant she reset the whole thing in Galaxy to help Mario and his cause.

Because Rosalina is soooo unimportant that she was playable in 3D World meanwhile little Koopa was a sub boss.

Because Rosalina is soooo unimportant she has an actual background unlike little koopa and half of the Mario cast.

Wow

I didnt realise Rosalina was soooo unimportant.

Delusion is such a strong force. I thought i had seen it all , but i guess i havent.

Also , thanks for not denying that you brough her up to push some buttons , that's just lovely.

Now if you excuse me , i need to eat some cake.

Replace "Rosalina" with "Baby Luigi" and you now officially can sound like my sister. :)

LeftyGreenMario said:
[me=LeftyGreenMario]tries desperately to stay on topic as Mariawnd is dragging this longer than it should be and Swiftfly and Mcnuggets are arguing about how awesome the characters they like are and how not awesome characters they don't like are.[/me]

Alright. I'll end this once and for all. No more Ultra Smash discussion from this point onward and I mean it.

Being playable a bonus character doesn't suddenly make a person an important character to the franchise at large

Nor does whatever story thing they did or what backstory they have in a franchise that isn't story driven. When it comes to interactive mediums there is more to what makes a character important than what they did that one time in that one game or how fast they started appearing as playable characters.

Being a boss is important to the specific games that Boom Boom appeared in, can't have a boss fight without a boss. What Rosalina did was important to the 3 main games she appeared in. Couldn't have that shit happen without her.

But other than that, neither of them matter all that much. They could both stop appearing altogether and not much would change.

And I brought up Rosalina because I find the notion of hating a character based off their species being overused when your favourite character is a HUMAN, one of the most overused character types in the history of fiction, to be utterly ridiculous.

LeftyGreenMario said:
If this is supposed to be the quintessential road to Superstardom, well, it looks very, uh, underwhelming.

MarioSportsSuperstarsScreenshot3.png

Yeah I find this, like, very weird. Why there's a Breakout clone in this game, I won't know.

oh yeah , they recycled Daisy's Power tennis render and make her wear a dress instead

Those photoshop classes are paying off.

At least when making Baby Luigi, there's next to nothing they need to recycle from.

Unless they're total morons and use Baby Luigi's Double Dash art for his baseball pose or some crap.

It's not even Photoshop. If they could open their dusty render files and have them chug out another file, but with Daisy wearing a dress, makes me wonder if they could just chug out new renders, period. Posing does take a while, but not SUPER long...

I wish we had more footage, particularly of tennis. I want to see if it's more like Mario Tennis Open with jump shots or if it's Mario Tennis Ultra Smash with 3DS assests. How different do those games play anyway? From core gameplay the shots seem different but I haven't played the game lng enough to know.

I've just been playing Mario Tennis Open and I chose Bowser instead of Dry Bowser to see how he is (he's trash) and man, that voice. James Kenny sounds so much better. Glad they changed it in Ultra, but why did it take so long in the first place?

LeftyGreenMario said:
It's not even Photoshop. If they could open their dusty render files and have them chug out another file, but with Daisy wearing a dress, makes me wonder if they could just chug out new renders, period. Posing does take a while, but not SUPER long...
Yeah the artwork on the cards is kinda disappointing, Mario would have looked awesome with his new artwork.

Ninelevendo said:
I wish we had more footage, particularly of tennis. I want to see if it's more like Mario Tennis Open with jump shots or if it's Mario Tennis Ultra Smash with 3DS assests. How different do those games play anyway? From core gameplay the shots seem different but I haven't played the game lng enough to know.

Ultra Smash felt faster paced and it has jump shots. May not sound like a lot, but it's enough to give Ultra Smash very distinct vibes from Mario Tennis Open. It's hard to describe unless you played both games yourself.

Anyway, anyone have any team plans yet?

I plan to have Baby Luigi as my main (duh), with Mario as my secondary captain, for a nod to my twin sister. My soccer team is going to be Toads. I'm not sure about Baseball, I'll see what characters work best in there.

Mario and Luigi, Bowser and Bowser jr, probably Wario and Waluigi at some point.

Back