Mario Sports Superstars

Baby Luigi said:
So, you don't bother defending yourself when I claimed that you didn't play the game, thus confirming my suspicions you haven't played it enough or at all and you're just repeating talking points that everyone else said about the game.

I can go into nice detail on why I think Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash has far better tennis gameplay than Mario Power Tennis, having played both titles enough, and despite all of Ultra Smash's serious shortcomings, on why it's not "plain, boring, and bland". Shots in Ultra Smash feel far more impactful and quicker than they do in Power Tennis, and services aces feel more satisfying to pull off than they do in Power Tennis. Slices, topspins, and smash shots all feel different from each other, where Power Tennis, differences and speed are barely negligible. Jump shots are incredibly fun to perform, especially when the courts make the balls jump really high, even though the Mushroom Court can get annoying. Mega Mushrooms are also fun to play with, and although they can't hold the entire game, they're decent enough to spice things up, and thus, are me and my twin's preferred way of battling. If they were a side mode, Mega Battle would have been pretty amazing. As my twin said, courts actually feel very distinct, whereas in Power Tennis, they all play very similar to each other.

Content is obviously where the game fails at and hence why it's regarded as worse than Power Tennis. However, if Power Tennis had Ultra Smash gameplay, it would have been far better than Power Tennis gameplay.

Ultra Smash was executed very well, on the contrary to your point. It just needed stuff to actually do with the very, very good gameplay.
Power Tennis had those gimmicky courts that added a sense of challenge. And what does Ultra Smash have to compete against those? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I got used to them.

It also lacked those mini games which were in Mario Tennis Open and Mario Power Tennis.

Ultra Smash has a 14 character roster while Power Tennis had 18 characters.

And what does it have to compete with those defensive power shots? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

There was even a proper tournament mode in Power Tennis and the other Mario Tennis games. Ultra Smash doesn't have a proper tournament mode.

Anyways that's enough.

Magikrazy said:
You also said "enough talk about Ultra Smash", and yet here we are racing to get the final word.

You think a hypothetical Switch port could possibly add more sports to this? Like bowling? Or tetherball?

They could add American Football/Rugby. That would kick the ass of the Madden series.

You know what, it is a good idea to stop, because you're pretty much ignoring my points brought up at this point.

Let's just end this long battle. We are not getting anywhere. It is futile.

Now moving right along.

I really am looking forward to the tennis mode because it will play like a hybrid between Tennis Open and Ultra Smash, what with the awesome Jump Shots and Ultra Smash shots, and Chance Shots returning and that's a great thing :smug:

it's not even a battle if one side doesn't even try

Baby Luigi said:
I really am looking forward to the tennis mode because it will play like a hybrid between Tennis Open and Ultra Smash, what with the awesome Jump Shots and Ultra Smash shots, and Chance Shots returning and that's a great thing :smug:

it's not even a battle if one side doesn't even try

Plus there's more characters therefore making the game more varied and even better than Ultra Smash. Seriously, Ultra Smash gets it's ass handed by the other Mario Tennis games in the roster department. Plus there is a proper tournament mode like in all the other Mario Tennis games. What were they thinking when they got rid of the tournament mode in Ultra Smash??!

Ultra Smash has a far superior pace and feel than other Mario Tennis games .

Power Tennis may have more content , but the gameplay gets tedious kinda like 64 , its just not that smooth.

What made Power Tennis great was the detail that each character got , due to abilities or animations.

Take that away and the game is very bland.

Ultra Smash , to me , only lacked the tournament mode. But even so , Tournament mode was just the 3 succesive matches if you put into perspective.

I will be honest. All my complaints were gone since i have the opportunity to play as Rosalina.

it might not look like it , but get to play as your favorite even in the most ''bland'' game can make a big difference.

From some website that sounds like Nintendo Australia but I've only found in other websites:
Collecting carrots along the way will replenish your stamina, while collecting stars will enable to you to use the special Star Dash technique, greatly improving your chances of victory. Players can also show their caring side by visiting their favourite horses in Stable Mode. By petting, feeding and grooming a horse, players can build a special bond with it which will work to their advantage on the racing track.

Btw apparently it's out 11th March for Aus but I can't find an official source.

LeftyGreenMario said:
Baby Luigi said:
March 10, 2017 for Europe.
When will Nintendo break free from the arbitrary release date bull*bleep*? It's pissing me off.
Yeah this sort of thing where they release it early for different countries is annoying, especially with region-lock. It affects all of the regions and doesn't usually have a good reason to happen, why can't they release all of them at the same time? Just from memory alone I can think of multiple examples, Yoshi's Woolly World and Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam took ages to release in America, Kirby: Planet Robobot was in Japan months before everywhere else, some games like Super Mario RPG, Mario Super Sluggers and Kirby's 20th Anniversary never released outside of America and Japan, Kirby Fighers Deluxe took ages to come to PAL, etc. I hope Nintendo will smarten up with the Switch, but do Nintendo ever change?

Swiftie_Luma said:
Ultra Smash has a far superior pace and feel than other Mario Tennis games .

Power Tennis may have more content , but the gameplay gets tedious kinda like 64 , its just not that smooth.

What made Power Tennis great was the detail that each character got , due to abilities or animations.

Take that away and the game is very bland.

Ultra Smash , to me , only lacked the tournament mode. But even so , Tournament mode was just the 3 succesive matches if you put into perspective.

I will be honest. All my complaints were gone since i have the opportunity to play as Rosalina.

it might not look like it , but get to play as your favorite even in the most ''bland'' game can make a big difference.

Ultra Smash did have potential to be a good Mario Tennis game, yes. But the decisions Nintendo made took it to being the weakest entry in the Mario Tennis series.

I didn't play Ultra Smash, I only saw a lot of footage of the game. I don't think I'll even buy it because it isn't worth paying the 40 or 60 bucks for literally an unfinished game.

Yes, I did just say Ultra Smash was an unfinished game. It's unfinished when you compare it to the content in other Mario Tennis games. Ultra Smash doesn't offer what the other Mario Tennis games have. It plays well, and yes it feels polished but there is so much this game could have had. The game is rushed as I have said for the umpteenth time. It is a cold hard fact that the game had a rushed development time. It may play well, but it has to be criticized for the lack of content, the rushed development, and the lack of a proper tournament mode among others. This is just barebones. The roster is unfinished.

Ultra Smash gave me a bad impression, a bad impression that keeps me from ever wanting to buy the game or even playing it. At first, I had a good impression that the game would be as good as Power Tennis or even surpass it but in the end it didn't. I'd still rather play Power Tennis.

Power Tennis to me is the last real good Mario Tennis, because of it's depth and everything. It had cutscenes, it had more personality to the characters and so much more. Ultra Smash fails to deliver what Power Tennis delivered.

The GameCube era was the last era where Mario games had depth put into it.

I didn't play Ultra Smash

Bye.

And and saying this as someone who actually disliked the game without playing it , which i know was a mistake.

The game lacks content others do have , but at the end of the day , i still found a way to enjoy it when i played it.

Thats all that matters.

No but it certainly makes me not want to spend full price on it.

Discount however that's something else

Swiftie_Luma said:

This is probably the reason I enjoyed Mario Tennis Open so much. Even though Baby Mario isn't Baby Luigi, I still adore using him regardless, and it brought all the fun of playing Mario Tennis Open. I also love using Toadette in Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash, she's my third favorite after Baby Mario and I've enjoyed my time there. This says more than Mario Power Tennis, where I migrated between characters constantly but I never had this much enjoyability out of characters compared to those two games.

Now that this game has Baby Luigi playing in 5 sports, it's shaping up to be my favorite sports installment. I've been asking for Baby Luigi being playable in sports and golf all of these years, getting undercut by Baby Peach or not appearing, but now he's going to be appearing in both simultaneously and in new sports so my wishes are practically answered. It doesn't help he'll be getting new amiibo cards too.

Best game of 2017, people.

Mcmadness said:
No but it certainly makes me not want to spend full price on it.

Discount however that's something else

I got mine for free :D

Ultra Smash sucks as a 40 dollar game.

If it were 20 bucks, it would be better, but not great. If it were 10 bucks, it'll be pretty great. But Nintendo expects you to lay 40 bucks for a game extremely light on content, and I would've bought the game if it had a reasonable price drop, but it didn't.

Thanks, Nintendo, you lead your own fans to piracy because you overprice the *bleep* out of a lot of your *bleep*. And then you think imposing online-only DRM in your other shit is gonna fix it.

Ninelevendo said:
From some website that sounds like Nintendo Australia but I've only found in other websites:
Collecting carrots along the way will replenish your stamina, while collecting stars will enable to you to use the special Star Dash technique, greatly improving your chances of victory. Players can also show their caring side by visiting their favourite horses in Stable Mode. By petting, feeding and grooming a horse, players can build a special bond with it which will work to their advantage on the racing track.

Accompanying pics

MarioSportsSuperstarsScreenshot18.png

MarioSportsSuperstarsScreenshot19.png

I'm gonna like this mode. <3

Unlike Ultra Smash, Brawl would've been worth full price at its time. That game is brimming with content and solid gameplay no matter how much you personally hate it for its lousy anti-competitive nature.

On the other note, I'm really going to dig horse racing. I loved horses as a kid, and seeing one bond with Mario would be pretty sweet! So glad these aren't stinking Yoshis.

LeftyGreenMario said:
Ultra Smash sucks as a 40 dollar game.

If it were 20 bucks, it would be better, but not great. If it were 10 bucks, it'll be pretty great. But Nintendo expects you to lay 40 bucks for a game extremely light on content, and I would've bought the game if it had a reasonable price drop, but it didn't.

Thanks, Nintendo, you lead your own fans to piracy because you overprice the *bleep* out of a lot of your *bleep*. And then you think imposing online-only DRM in your other shit is gonna fix it.
It's also a total ripoff. I got my copy of Power Tennis for 25 bucks at GameSwap and it was well worth it.

Nintendo is really being a dick to their fans these days.

Grunty Industries said:
That one picture of Bowser riding a horse is hilarious.

Just...look at him

Teaser-ss-06.jpg

I'd hate to be that horse who has to carry Wario. Unlike Bowser who I think practices good hygiene for his species, Wario probably has smelly pants.

LeftyGreenMario said:
I'd hate to be that horse who has to carry Wario. Unlike Bowser who I think practices good hygiene for his species, Wario probably has smelly pants.

If Mario Strikers Charged is any indication, even Waluigi thinks Wario's pants stink.

Well at least in Mario Sports Superstars, the horses that carry larger characters are very tough and burly looking

Look at DK's horse here

MarioSportsSuperstars2.jpeg

I would want Mario to ride that white horse with a flower on it.

There is horse customization in this game and I'm looking forward to it.

I will ride on those cute little foals and awww so adorable.

Back