''A new type of Mario is coming.''

Dame los lapices.

DragonFreak said:
Magikrazy said:
If by looked different, you're referring to aesthetics, pretty sure the differences were due to the series being young and still trying to find its look.
Im dont think that's the case. If it was, it means the original 2d marios never did find their "look" because none of them looked remotely close to each other. and if the nsmb series is really what nintendo thought would be 2d mario's "look" from now on...i guess more power to them.
You have to be fair with the first New Super Mario Bros. game. It is indeed different from the previous 2D Marios simply by being a game that uses 3D models and pre-rendered sprites. You can argue that the subsequent games look the samey compared to the first three Mario games.

Zae Eildus said:
based on? they're quite literally half ass attempts at being the same thing.

smw is like the only exception really, since it did whole new things.

I also don't get why you'd think New Super Mario Bros. games are half-assed if they are just like Super Mario Bros. 3. I didn't find Super Mario Advance: Super Mario Bros. 3 particularly engaging and I think the original NES title would bore me even more. What specifically about New Super Mario Bros. in of itself (not how iterative sequels changed it, just the level design and the mechanics) makes it worse than Super Mario Bros. 3?

Zae Eildus said:
no i keep wanting this 2d sprites and *bleep* just to see how creative they could get with that with todays technology, of course at this point its wishful thinking, but im a big time nerd and i can only dream of this stuff.
I want that too.

Also, if your 2D art style is good, it can look timeless. You can't really say that for 3D models, which are still bound by technological limitations. Complex lighting effects, polycounts, rendering in general... especially when it's live rendering, it's really taxing. For instance, it can take my powerful computer several full seconds to render a still model with basic mental ray effects, high shadow resolution, and anti-aliasing. Given that it's much more powerful than the latest gaming console, achieving that stuff for live render 3D models is still a long way to go.

Striker Mario said:
DragonFreak said:
Magikrazy said:
If by looked different, you're referring to aesthetics, pretty sure the differences were due to the series being young and still trying to find its look.
Im dont think that's the case. If it was, it means the original 2d marios never did find their "look" because none of them looked remotely close to each other. and if the nsmb series is really what nintendo thought would be 2d mario's "look" from now on...i guess more power to them.
You have to be fair with the first New Super Mario Bros. game. It is indeed different from the previous 2D Marios simply by being a game that uses 3D models and pre-rendered sprites. You can argue that the subsequent games look the samey compared to the first three Mario games.

Zae Eildus said:
based on? they're quite literally half ass attempts at being the same thing.

smw is like the only exception really, since it did whole new things.

I also don't get why you'd think New Super Mario Bros. games are half-assed if they are just like Super Mario Bros. 3. I didn't find Super Mario Advance: Super Mario Bros. 3 particularly engaging and I think the original NES title would bore me even more. What specifically about New Super Mario Bros. in of itself (not how iterative sequels changed it, just the level design and the mechanics) makes it worse than Super Mario Bros. 3?

Zae Eildus said:
no i keep wanting this 2d sprites and *bleep* just to see how creative they could get with that with todays technology, of course at this point its wishful thinking, but im a big time nerd and i can only dream of this stuff.
I want that too.

Also, if your 2D art style is good, it can look timeless. You can't really say that for 3D models, which are still bound by technological limitations. Complex lighting effects, polycounts, rendering in general... especially when it's live rendering, it's really taxing. For instance, it can take my powerful computer several full seconds to render a still model with basic mental ray effects, high shadow resolution, and anti-aliasing. Given that it's much more powerful than the latest gaming console, achieving that stuff for live render 3D models is still a long way to go.

as for the whole smb3 thing, i just like smb3 in general, its graphics its new features its countless powerups the level design, aside from world 6 mind you, i mean its one of the better platformers ive played and my favorite 2d mario, so yeah i think nsmb and whatnot is just merely copying it without doing much else with it. If you dont like it then fine, but you cant ignore that the pattern of the nsmb games is highly relating to that of smb3, and its become massively overused at this point, and thats what im bitching about.

as for 2d stuff, i just like 2d more, i mean i grew up in that era and i still love the shit out of various 2d graphics, but theres nothing more visually appealing then a well animated 2d sprite, big points to dust an elysian tale or street fighter 3, because those games are gorgeous to me and i will just sometimes go to those games purely for the factor of enjoying the shit out of the sprites alone.

So I was laying in bed thinking about how there are no solid record of Michael Tavera's background music (not the singing music) from the Super Mario cartoon series, and I looked on this thread, seeing you guys bicker over gameplay and graphics, ect ect, and then an idea clicked in head.

What if it's not just the game they're going to make new, what if they're going to change the marketing? Maybe they'll start expanding into other forms of media again. I know what you'd guys say, Nintendo tried to make it in TV and film sector (didn't go that well)
Well it's been a while, new generations have come in, and they might, just might, make something on TV.

I might be wrong but who knows.

PrinceLarryKoopa88 said:
So I was laying in bed thinking about how there are no solid record of Michael Tavera's background music (not the singing music) from the Super Mario cartoon series, and I looked on this thread, seeing you guys bicker over gameplay and graphics, ect ect, and then an idea clicked in head.

What if it's not just the game they're going to make new, what if they're going to change the marketing? Maybe they'll start expanding into other forms of media again. I know what you'd guys say, Nintendo tried to make it in TV and film sector (didn't go that well)
Well it's been a while, new generations have come in, and they might, just might, make something on TV.

the cat mario show on nickelodeon

Roger Smith said:
PrinceLarryKoopa88 said:

the cat mario show on nickelodeon
images

Samus Aran said:
as for the whole smb3 thing, i just like smb3 in general, its graphics its new features its countless powerups the level design, aside from world 6 mind you, i mean its one of the better platformers ive played and my favorite 2d mario, so yeah i think nsmb and whatnot is just merely copying it without doing much else with it. If you dont like it then fine, but you cant ignore that the pattern of the nsmb games is highly relating to that of smb3, and its become massively overused at this point, and thats what im *bleep*ing about.

as for 2d stuff, i just like 2d more, i mean i grew up in that era and i still love the *bleep* out of various 2d graphics, but theres nothing more visually appealing then a well animated 2d sprite, big points to dust an elysian tale or street fighter 3, because those games are gorgeous to me and i will just sometimes go to those games purely for the factor of enjoying the *bleep* out of the sprites alone.
Yeah, it's kind of a problem when New Super Mario Bros. does absolutely nothing to the gameplay rather than make it nicer and give Mario an actual voice (to me, character voices are big additions to a game; I don't think I can live without them). I really don't like the feeling I get when playing Super Mario Bros. 3 that it feels too similar to New Super Mario Bros. all because New Super Mario Bros. does little to its gameplay; it's the same feeling when my sister played the Yoshi's Island remake AFTER Yoshi's Island DS. On the other hand, I've been clamoring for some breath of fresh air into Super Mario Land and even somewhat Super Mario Bros. 2 USA. I've seen enough of Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World and, of course, New Super Mario Bros. to be honest. It gets tiresome that nostalgia they pander to is always from just a select amount of games.

I like the addition of ground pound triple jumps and wall jumping to the NSMB series, they felt like significant additions to me.

i feel like small changes can be big

like anti-gravity in mario kart 8, gliding/underwater in mario kart 7, and the changes in the gcn installments

its not the fact that im against nsmb or anything like that, but i just dont feel like they're trying their best in the series, theres so much potential in the nsmb series i think and its just not doing too well.

With that though, i never really go hate mode on a new nsmb game, thats why i usually watch lps and do research before making ya a proper estimation.

I don't know about the NSMB series if there truly is a great problem, maybe it's more a general problem with how SMB3 and SMW were: they were innovative and arguably state of the art, sometimes even technically (at least in cae of SMB3, that pushed the NES hardware), it was hard to find something better around. The NSMB series has problems with this because now, for a 2D Mario to be something like what those games were at the time, it's not even clear what the aim should be: surely, offering all the features of SMB3 (number of powerups, inventory) and SMW combined (including Yoshi that you can take with you after you finish a level, double items, non-linear structure with world map and multiple exits) and a grandeur no less than that of Super Mario Galaxy and the final boss of Yoshi's Island (and here, adimttedly, NSMBW had a great final boss with nice soundtrack, although you didn't directly fight him) or something completely new that works like a charm - not much room for intermediate choices. Graphics and sound must be state of the art, stylish and capable of ageing as less as possible the first, memorable and not sounding cheap or ordinary the second. Level design must be fun, rich with new ideas for every level with no copy and paste feel, the less elements and settings are reused, the better. And mind you, all I said until now (and much more that I forgotten, actually) is just the strarting point. You should add something really innovative and game changing from here. So, I can guess why Nintendo has trouble with making 2D Super Mario games that were like SMB3 and SMW were at the time. The delays on The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild make it clear what it means for Nintendo trying to do just a single groundbreaking game today.

Regarding SMB2/USA, I'd say that it wasn't entirely forgotten, and not just because of Birdo and the Shy Guys. I think that Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker tried to go back to some of its gameplay choices and arabian atmosphere, including the idea of having new final bosses, at last.

Super Mario Land, on the other hand, looks to me as almost forgotten beside Daisy, if I am not mistaken - I actually found this interview in which Super Mario Maker's director makes quite a grotesque mistake in this sense, I hope it's a translation mistake.

isnt super mario land the blacksheep of the series though?

i mean i love super mario land 2 for plenty of reasons, but sml1?

im not too sure on that game.

Samus Aran said:

I actually played Super Mario Land 2 and 3, I still have to play the first, so I can actually mainly comment about the content, not on the merits of the game...

As a big Mario fan I'm gonna take that with a grain of salt. Because I am so fucking tired of Nintendo always staying in their comfort zones.

Samus Aran said:

I don't really mind whatever quality it has, but I think its seeing its content again would be really nice.

Back