Who are you voting for (or would vote for if you could)?

Best candidate?

• Hillary Clinton

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • Donald Trump

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Gary Johnson

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • None of them

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters
Striker Mario said:
opposition to vaccinations
The vast majority of the libertarian people and the libertarian organizations I'm familiar with strongly support vaccinations, I don't think this is a generally-libertarian approach as you are putting others in danger.

Relevant from two prominent libertarians:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWCsEWo0Gks

omg I love Pen & Teller

Baby Luigi said:
omg I love Pen & Teller

Their magic is great. So is Penn's birthday.

On topic: there are quite a few reasons that vaccinations could be opposed. I can't think of any atm, but I know there are some.

F-777 said:
On topic: there are quite a few reasons that vaccinations could be opposed. I can't think of any atm, but I know there are some.

At the moment, vaccinations have no good reason to be opposed. Science says they're safe and effective, and therefore, are fine.

The medical complications can't be avoided unfortunately, but it's a select few cases compared to the millions of lives vaccines have saved.

F-777 said:
That's why I don't like vaccination and seatbelt laws. They should essentially be common sense. The way it is now is just the government taking care of people, which they shouldn't be doing.
But not everyone has common sense. This country (and the world in general) has completely egotistical morons who have no consideration for everyone else.

Baby Luigi said:
F-777 said:

At the moment, vaccinations have no good reason to be opposed. Science says they're safe and effective, and therefore, are fine.

The medical complications can't be avoided unfortunately, but it's a select few cases compared to the millions of lives vaccines have saved.
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"-Spock

Hobbes said:
The vast majority of the libertarian people and the libertarian organizations I'm familiar with strongly support vaccinations, I don't think this is a generally-libertarian approach as you are putting others in danger.
That's why I tried to be careful about characterizing libertarians without sounding like I'm generalizing them. But there's no denying that there are people who use the guise of "personal health freedom" to refuse to vaccinate or push for laws that soften vaccine mandates (this includes personal/religious exemption; mind you, those philosophical objects are no good). I believe there is a fraction within the libertarian movement that is opposed to vaccines, though I don't know whenever the people here are representative of this. I do say, however, that their "reasoning" doesn't really contradict that much with libertarian ideals, which are limited government for personal freedom. Of course, they are probably fringe people and they give libertarianism a bad name, especially when the organizations you cite DO strongly support vaccination (which I think it's kind of surprising since they usually don't like government mandates and they like to advocate personal choice).

Heck, Wikipedia has something to say about that

In the United States, mandatory vaccination laws sometimes provoke reactions from members of anti-government or libertarian factions, who profess concern for what they view as the convergence or merger of the public and private sectors.

That being said, liberal views aren't immune to the anti-vaccine idealogy and I do not hold a high view toward left-wing anti-vaxxers nor do I agree with some liberals' opposition to GMOs or they want GMO labeling or they think organic foods are healthier or whatever. They aren't helping either.

F-777 said:
The only valid reason to not vaccinate are medical reasons such as weakened immune system. The other reasons (autism, the possibility of vaccine complications, SIDS, thiomersal, "too many too soon") are usually unfounded and not based in science to justify skipping vaccines.

Striker Mario said:
I believe paying a premium for insurance is a provision for those laws, but overall, you will likely be unable to pay for those expenses on your own.
sad but true

Striker Mario said:
On another note, I also think voting should be mandatory and I also think votes being "optional" is the reason for unimpressive voter turnout in the U.S..
Whilst it sounds like you and I share similar political views, I do disagree with this point. Whilst it would be beneficial for society for everyone to be engaged in politics, there's the simple fact that quite a lot just don't care, and will likely throw their vote to any which way party instead of making a fully informed decision, which could result in the rise of racist or joke parties.

Voting should be mandatory as in people should be forced to turn up at polling stations, however an abstain option should be added to the poll card.

Low turnout helps unpopular choices happen, people not turning could be the result of Brexit happening in UK which I am strongly against.

Grim said:
Striker Mario said:
On another note, I also think voting should be mandatory and I also think votes being "optional" is the reason for unimpressive voter turnout in the U.S..
Whilst it sounds like you and I share similar political views, I do disagree with this point. Whilst it would be beneficial for society for everyone to be engaged in politics, there's the simple fact that quite a lot just don't care, and will likely throw their vote to any which way party instead of making a fully informed decision, which could result in the rise of racist or joke parties.
True, and then there are people who think their votes don't matter (of course, you have that technicality that 2257 keeps pointing out but it's not a reason NOT to vote) but there are also people who make lots of excuses to not vote... I agree, it's a very complex issue (just as with most things) so you're right: my opinion is too simplistic.

I thought votes mattered to get a state to commit to a color (out of 538 people) so in a sense, in paper, it's supposed to capture the public opinion but in practice, you get situations like this.

PopWinnerLosesElecVote.png

Maybe it's my word choice that's weird.

the us electoral college is one of the stupidest things ive ever seen and why it hasnt changed i dont know

I voted for Bernie for the nominee and Kamala Harris for Senator in the primary yesterday. I doubt good ol' Bernie will win, but I'll hold my nose and vote for Clinton.

Honestly, I'm disappointed that Clinton one, but I have to suck it up and Bernie does too. If he continues this grudge (which I doubt he will), then Donald Trump will win as the Democrats bicker with each other. Bernie's smart and he'll do what he can to keep Trump out of the White House, even if that means backing Clinton. If he's lucky maybe Clinton can bury the hatchet and choose Bernie for her VP. I hope for Clinton/Sanders 2016.

Gary Johnson might have a legit chance. If everyone who hates Trump and Clinton vote Johnson, then might just be neck and neck.

PrinceLarryKoopa88 said:
Honestly, I'm disappointed that Clinton one, but I have to suck it up and Bernie does too. If he continues this grudge (which I doubt he will), then Donald Trump will win as the Democrats bicker with each other. Bernie's smart and he'll do what he can to keep Trump out of the White House, even if that means backing Clinton. If he's lucky maybe Clinton can bury the hatchet and choose Bernie for her VP. I hope for Clinton/Sanders 2016.

This post makes me want to throw my phone at my TV.

Opinions shouldn't make people violent. Learn to control your anger.

Be careful what you say. There are people who identify as libertarians in this community.

PrinceLarryKoopa88 said:
A 3rd party vote will only let Trump win. Plus I believe Libertarians are the worst.

Care to explain? Any strong opinion needs evidence; otherwise, it's just bait.

Striker Mario said:
Be careful what you say. There are people who identify as libertarians in this community.

has that stopped anyone from completely losing their minds whenever anyone signals that they're vaguely conservative

Back