Paper Mario: Color Splash

Mister Wu said:
winstein said:
I think it's a nice touch to be able to donate cards into the gallery, which I won't hesitate to do since most of the cards can easily be replaced. The only thing I am apprehensive of is retrieving the Koopaling cards, which requires beating the Roshambo Temples. So far I have beaten 2 of them on the first try, which is great, and I hope to be able to beat them quickly in the next few ones.
Don't worry about those: unless you're a huge fan of the Koopalings, the museum is indeed their place. I wrote before how they might have been designed to work differently, but the way they work in the final game makes them the most unimpressive Enemy Cards you can get, in my opinion.

Yeah, I think that, based on the descriptions, the Koopalings are meant to end a battle immediately, similar to the Fright Jar in past Paper Mario games. Which is why the Koopalings doesn't seem to have useful moves.

How long did it take you to beat the Roshambo temples to retrieve the Koopalings? I admit that I got lucky on the first two.

Thanks for reading.

winstein said:
Yeah, I think that, based on the descriptions, the Koopalings are meant to end a battle immediately, similar to the Fright Jar in past Paper Mario games. Which is why the Koopalings doesn't seem to have useful moves.

How long did it take you to beat the Roshambo temples to retrieve the Koopalings? I admit that I got lucky on the first two.

Thanks for reading.
I won't spoil anything, so you'll see in due time.

I personally would like to have the game, if anything to try to find all lines of dialogue from the Koopalings (so far watching the videos I discovered that they have one additional line before their instakill moves, one when you use the replica of the right Thing Card, one when you accidentally waste the right Thing Card in the battle, one when you use useless attacks), as well as seeing how the Italian translation is different from the Treehouse one (and maybe even the Japanese one, although the latter case requires quite some additional effort, so I'll just look at some details at best), but actually I'm still waiting because the shop where I preordered the game is changing ownership and so the game will arrive at the beginning of November at this point...

Right now, I have unlocked the level containing the third Big Paint Star, and at this point I wonder what the Balloons would be used for since the Toad suggested having it handy. It couldn't be the Sacred Forest since I tried it there and it didn't work. Maybe the one in Sacred Forest requires a different Thing.

Before that, there's the Snifit or Whiffit game, which was weird and frankly stressful at first because there are certain cards that they will use, and I didn't have them. That is, until I have to clear my inventory to fit the necessary cards that the Blue Snifit will hand out. After that, the questions seem easy, until the last one, where you have to pick a card based on the enemy holding. Admittedly, I cheated a bit since I took the video with a camera, but I think I might have saved time here since I didn't expect that they will ask for specific card held by a specific enemy.

Thanks for reading.

You need the balloons in the Ludwig Boss fight, to raise his submarine from the water.
If you don't want to specifically know when to use them, then just keep the balloons and progress to the third Big Paint Star. You should know when to use them.

Buyed it on day 1, I just finished it two hours ago.

First, I'd like to say that the first reveal trailer didn't give this game any justice at all (remember "let's paint the town red... and just about any other color"?) It was a dull presentation, also thanks to the un-hyping voice of that guy, that didn't highlights what was really important about Color Splash. I mean, they didn't say a thing about the "increase the paint in the hammer" level up sistem, but they treated the fact that you can color a Toad House like it's an innovation :???:

Anyway, the game. I enjoyed for what it is, basically a Super Mario World made with paper, cardboards and paint.

The graphic is really something else. I'm sure that the developers created their own dioramas before replicating them in the game.

Unlike Sticker Star, the Things are actually implemented in the environment and some subplots. When I had to find which Thing to use to progress I have a reminiscence of playing the point-and-click adventure Broken Sword.

By the way, my favourite Things to use are the Piggy Bank, the Megaphone (with that you have to yell in the microphone for massive damage) and the Battery God Of Thunder.

Speaking of things I also liked the boss fight with
the steak. It was satisfying to write down the clues provided by the Toads and solve the puzzle. Also, I learnt how to cook a proper grilled steak ;D

Though I never encountered game-breaking problems like other players, I still found the inermissions of Kamek and Bandit Guy pointless and frustrating.

About the soundtrack, these two tunes stuck in my head the first time I heard them:

By the way, the whole boss fight with Wendy is my favourite. Seeing her hopping in time with the tune made me want to hop as well :rolleyes:

Finally, the story. I love Huey (in the italian translation he's named "Tinto" which is a real name but also the past participle of the verb "tingere", which means "to paint"). He's such a cool friend, always prone to help in any way he can. Even though Mario never said a word I saw a real friendship between the two.
Which makes his self-exile at the end of the game a really sad scene. Why is Kersti spared of a cruel destiny, but not Huey? Life's so unfair sometimes :'(

I also founf adorable the subplot of Piper (in italian "Giacinto") the friend that thos group of Toads that reunite from time to time in Port Prism.
I was d'awwwwwwing so much when it's revealed that
even though he's not a Toad and doesn't speak a word, the other Toads understand his language and treat him as one of them.

That's all for now. All in all, I enjoyed Color Splash.

Oh yes, I need some help:
does anyone know where are the white spots to paint in Green Energy Plant (in which Mario enters a level of Super Mario Bros 3)? I didn't find any...

Although some Mario series characters didn't show up in this game, namely Toadsworth and Toadette, I appreciate that Birdo is added into the recent Paper Mario games, because Birdo's underrated. Of course, the Koopalings are another welcomed inclusion since they could make for interesting boss scenarios in case they decided to show up again (not necessarily as end-of-chapter bosses).

One of the amusing bosses I would look forward to see is the moving steak. It's so random and non-papery that the very idea of battling a "thing" absurd itself.

Thanks for reading.

I like how they made Birdo a stage singer.

I was wondering
VYBNoOn.png

What kind of lesson are they supposed to have learned? That you absolutely must not even think about having a rainbow-colored shell?

Probably that being bad doesn't do them any good.

Mcmadness said:
Probably that being bad doesn't do them any good.
Except that this time Bowser didn't absolutely do anything bad, he just wanted a rainbow shell and used an improper method to try to obtain it.

Yes but the other 7 were fully aware of what they were doing.

Mcmadness said:
Yes but the other 7 were fully aware of what they were doing.
But they wouldn't have done what they did if Bowser wasn't possessed by the Black Paint and sent all the Paint Stars away from the fountain.

They willingly participated and were clearly enjoying it. They aren't innocent.

I have recently beaten the Toad Trainworks level, where you need to fix the train, which means the next level is the Tangerino Grill. Based on the levels before I reached here:

In Cobalt Base, some Shy Guys are in the Golden and Silver forms, and I am amazed that they give a lot of Hammer Scraps, which means that this is a place to grind for paint. The main reason to have a lot of paint is probably for the Fire/Ice Flowers, which consume a lot of red/blue paint respectively.

It felt surreal when I used the solution to beat Ludwig, because it doesn't look like the Thing card wasn't working, but when it actually worked, I was surprised to see this. Speaking of this, even though the level gives a lot of Tail cards, I find them difficult to use outside this boss battle. I think it's used to reflect projectiles like the Hammer Bros.' ones, but I can't say for sure.

The tasks required to get to the Violet Isles felt like a lot of work, though thankfully not as to be too difficult. Basically, what I mean is Mario to walk all the way to the cannons to activate them, and to add to this, you have to talk to Toad to steer the ship. I had to beat the second task the third time to get the hang of it, while the third and fourth took me about one try. I feel the game does a good job at giving you the things you need to do, so it's not the worst part out there.

In the two islands, the parallel worlds felt very eerie mainly because it looks similar to the original locations, except everything looks so bleak and lacking in water. The thought that things happening in the parallel world affecting the real world is eerie enough as it is because of the natural disasters happening without reason. I wonder what the Prism Island (or mountain due to the lack of water) look like in the parallel world. Perhaps a new Paper Mario could reexamine the concept of a parallel world in a bigger scale, as opposed to a few islands?

When fighting Wendy, I am surprised that it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, so I wondered if the next two (Larry and Lemmy) would be difficult. The only thing is I used an Enemy card after the Thing, which was a mistake on my part since I didn't know what the Thing card did until it's too late and I have to reset the game to that point.

As for the Roshambo Temples, I once again beaten the Rock Paper Wizards on the first try, although it took me four attempts to beat Soggy Guy in the 3rd Temple. With that, my Koopaling collection is halfway there.

I once got the Shy Bandit to appear, but the location it appeared in is very inconvenient because I was at Tangerino Grill and the Shy Bandit went to Lighthouse Island, which is on the other side of the map, and the worst part is I didn't unlock the pathway between Kiwano Temple and Toad Trainworks yet, so when Shy Bandit took all the paint due to not reaching in time, I reset the game and it chose a more realistically reachable location, which saves me time in the long run.

Thanks for reading.

winstein said:
When fighting Wendy, I am surprised that it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, so I wondered if the next two (Larry and Lemmy) would be difficult. The only thing is I used an Enemy card after the Thing, which was a mistake on my part since I didn't know what the Thing card did until it's too late and I have to reset the game to that point.

Wait, you mean that
the Instant Camera Thing will take a photo of Goomba/Koopa/whatever you summoned with an Enemy card instead of Mario?
That's interesting if that's the case

FearTear said:
Wait, you mean that
the Instant Camera Thing will take a photo of Goomba/Koopa/whatever you summoned with an Enemy card instead of Mario?
I think what he meant to say is that
the photograph is considered by the game as being an ally, Enemy Cards replace the ally, so he losed the photograph.

One thing I like is that, when in Mustard Cafe,

It feels dramatic when Huey isn't available. I mean, when you attempt to use the Paint Hammer, then the game will tell you that Huey isn't around, Mario shrugs and a dramatic theme plays out. It's even more hilarious when you press up on the D-pad, because somehow not being able to ask Huey for advice is a big deal.

Mister Wu said:
FearTear said:
Wait, you mean that
I think what he meant to say is that
the photograph is considered by the game as being an ally, Enemy Cards replace the ally, so he losed the photograph.

That is correct.

Thanks for reading.

This game is amazing it's so much better than Sticker Star but still not as good as The Thousand-Year Door, nothing can compare to that. But it was far better than I expected.

The King of all Mario RPGS said:
This game is amazing it's so much better than Sticker Star but still not as good as The Thousand-Year Door, nothing can compare to that. But it was far better than I expected.

Same here, I was not sure that the game was going to be fun. But Sticker Star is nothing next to Color Splash. Huey is adorable, funny and a lot more involved in the story than Kersti, I hated that one. I will not be against the idea of ​​seeing him in another game. Kersti can stay where she is.

Although there are few original characters, they still managed to give personality to the characters. In addition, Prism Island is much more beautiful and fun to explore than the world of Sticker Star and even the one of Super Paper Mario was nothing compared to Prism Island.

Yes, this game was really fun, not better than The Thousand-Year Door, but is still a great game. Finally, I think that the formula they have chosen with Sticker Star can succeed if they continue on this path. But, I would still like having a Paper Mario RPG like the first two.

So, Paper Mario: Color Splash is my second favorite Paper Mario game.

OCTOling said:
Regional differences for the washing machine Thing card.

The washing machine wasn't the only thing they changed in the PAL version (dunno if this was brought up already but oh well):

American version:
W0nrgFz.png

European/Australian version:
0HIuw3N.png

I should also mention, the Laundry Guy was replaced by a regular red Shy Guy, who appears from the small rock to the left after Mario shuts off the machine.

Alright, up to this point I am probably close to beating the game, since I have reached the final area of the game, Black Bowser's Castle.

For the rest of the Koopalings, I find them surprisingly hard. For Larry, I just used Replica Things to dispatch his minions while the Toad attempts to reach, and here I used the necessary Thing too early the first time. The second time around I don't have much trouble given that I found out when to use the Thing, and I am surprised at how much damage Larry does after the Thing was used.

For Lemmy, I thought that you need to use the Ice Pick first and then the Disco Ball later, but it doesn't look like that solution worked because Lemmy dodges the Ice Pick every time, until I remember that the Disco Ball can "distract", in which case the battles are more smooth-sailing.

And then, there's Roy, who I am surprised wasn't too hard given his status as the final Koopaling, but his battle is entertaining due to the different colours. I got red (make attacks go faster), yellow (can only use coloured cards, which I have plenty of) and purple (take damage after every card used). I would say the timing in which to use the Thing is not as precise as Lemmy's, which is to say that Roy is easier in that regard.

I have also beaten all the Roshambo Temples, which are as intense as ever. The 5th and 6th were beaten on the first attempt, while the 7th was not, since I need at least a tie to predict their second card. The 8th one felt tedious since all the opponents use random cards, but for the match I won, I won with Scissors, though the Rock-Paper-Wizard was defeated after the 6th round. I tell you, when you have 5 rounds of same cards, things felt very intense.

As of now, it seems that some Things weren't used in any capacity as of were I'm playing. These items are, from what I remember: Cat-o-Luck, Piggy Bank, Turnip, Claw Hammer and Recorder. Sometimes I wonder if the developers couldn't figure out the best way to use these items, or if the items was introduced too late to be of any used (in the case of the last two). It's still amusing to see Super Mario Bros. 3 items turn into real things, though.

Currently, I am now gathering all the Enemy Cards, and I have 17 more to go (18 if you want to include the one on the Koopaling's page). Because of this, I wish I could get more Shy Bandit cards, because they will be very helpful for collecting enemies.

Thanks for reading.

so from what ive heard color splash was a pretty big success and from what ive seen looks decent to boot.

Finally a paper mario i can look forward to playing eventually outside of pm64 and ttyd.

Back