Paper Mario: Color Splash

haven't bought it yet because I'm trying to save money for like six different things but hopefully soon

Baby Luigi said:
Mister Wu said:
I think it's just a sprite "attached" to a 3D object like a texture, should be more than doable with modern hadware. From a graphical point of view, I really hope that full-bodied sprites will become more common.

It has been done since N64 hardware to optimize the game when it cannot render 3D polygons
I was referring to the "moving parts" approach, which is the other method to use sprites. I was used to it as I started with TTYD and it creates fluid 60 fps animations, but now that I look at these sprite sheets I think I really like the full-bodied sprites more, and I hope they will be used more extensively.

Even the original Paper Mario uses moving parts. Bowser's and Paratroopa's sprite sheets for starters. Usually, they do the moving parts method for Flash-animated games like Thousand-Year Door and Rayman Legends.

Baby Luigi said:
Ninelevendo said:
So this game uses sprites? How did they pull off the flip around thing when a character turns around?

They're textures attached to a 3D model of a 2D plane.

Mister Wu said:
I think it's just a sprite "attached" to a 3D object like a texture, should be more than doable with modern hadware. From a graphical point of view, I really hope that full-bodied sprites will become more common.

It has been done since N64 hardware to optimize the game when it cannot render 3D polygons
Cool. Didn't know that they did this. Did the original PM do this?

Also it's cool to see sprites instead of models, I love sprite art.

They definitely did. If you ever see a 2D graphic on a 3D plane, it's most definitely a flat 3D cube with an alpha layer enabled.

Mister Wu said:
I think it's just a sprite "attached" to a 3D object like a texture, should be more than doable with modern hadware. From an artistic point of view, I really hope that full-bodied sprites will become more common.
Baby Luigi said:
It's the same for those 2D PlayStation 1 games like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and a bunch of others. Even Yoshi's Story uses 2D sprites for an N64 game and that horrible Mortal Kombat game on both PS1 and N64.

No it's not the same, unlike Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Yoshi's Story game.

Those games use pre-rendered sprites, something in a completely different territory than what Paper Mario uses. Pre-rendered sprites are still 2D graphics that still uses frames to animate. Games like Paper Mario use a 3D plane for very flattened 3D models that use textures to convey itself.

I'll probably get this game for Christmas, since S&M is my priority.

Spooky the slightly frightening Shy Guy said:
I'll probably get this game for Christmas, since S&M is my priority.
dude rule 11 :P

I can't wait to buy this and see how it is.

Re: My very important hot take as someone who hasn't played the game

Glowsquid said:
I have to give props to Color Splash: the game looks gorgeous and the writing is very sharp. It may not be the sequel TTYD super-fanboys wanted, but at this point, I think accusing it of being "soulless" or "NSMB-ified" (whatever that means) is just wrong.

Unfortunately, though, I'll still likely pass on the game, because all that can't make up for the fact that Color Splash, according to both journos and people who played the pre-load, doesn't quite go far enough in fixing Sticker Star's gameplay problems and even double down on some of them. The glory of the old paper Mario was as much in the battling as it was in the crazy.

I think what people usually meant by NSMB-ified? Is that some of the enemies and investments from Sticker Star were a copy and paste from the NSMB style direction.

Re: My very important hot take as someone who hasn't played the game

Nitwit said:
I think what people usually meant by NSMB-ified? Is that some of the enemies and investments from Sticker Star were a copy and paste from the NSMB style direction.
Actually, if you see the Encyclopedia Super Mario Bros. (and in general, the illustrations done for the 25th anniversary of Super Mario Bros.), you'll see that the paper characters of Color Splash (especially the Koopalings and Yoshi) are derived from these illustrations, with some changes mainly involving body proportions and the eyes, changed to black dots in most cases (two important exceptions being Draggadon and Iggy, who retains the circle-like irises). The style is probably derived from the NSMB series, but it is not identical, if anything because it's hand-drawn.

EncyclopediaSMB_-_Characters_pt1.jpg

EncyclopediaSMB_-_Characters_pt2.jpg

Simply being a Yoshi isn't and shouldn't be an indicator that it's a good guy

I still miss Toadsworth and Toadette

Baby Luigi said:
Me too, definitely! My point is not saying that Color Splash has the variety of TTYD, as female Toads (including Toadette), child Toads and Toadsworth are missing.

I now suspect why Toadsworth and Toadette were missing from Paper Jam: the "new" paper counterpart were not yet done by the new Paper Mario team, while the paper Koopalings were revealed but not introduced not to spoil things too much, I guess.

Mister Wu said:
Baby Luigi said:
Me too, definitely! My point is not saying that Color Splash has the variety of TTYD, as female Toads (including Toadette), child Toads and Toadsworth are missing.

I now suspect why Toadsworth and Toadette were missing from Paper Jam: the "new" paper counterpart was not yet done by the new Paper Mario team, while the paper Koopalings were revealed but not introduced to spoil things too much, I guess.

Didn't Paper Toadette and Toadworth appear in the older Paper Mario games? TTYD for example. lol

Nitwit said:
Mister Wu said:
Baby Luigi said:

I now suspect why Toadsworth and Toadette were missing from Paper Jam: the "new" paper counterpart was not yet done by the new Paper Mario team, while the paper Koopalings were revealed but not introduced to spoil things too much, I guess.
Didn't Paper Toadette and Toadworth appear in the older Paper Mario games? TTYD for example. lol
I did say "new" paper counterpart for a reason. Did you see any sprite unique to the first three Paper Mario games in Paper Jam? No, because there weren't. All the sprites came from Sticker Star (or maybe even Color Splash). You can esaily see how the "paper" sprites given to AlphaDream came from the new team, not the team that made the first three game.
In the case of Toadette, her sprite wasn't usable anyway, as she was based on the artwork of MK: DD with the orange dress, not her actual design.

to anyone who also has this game and/or is smarter than me: is there something i'm missing with the roshambo temples? i know that the toads on the steps give you hints on how to beat the first two opponents, but is the third round seriously just luck?

Back