Paper Mario: Color Splash

Looking at concept arts, can't really help it but really liked these concept arts. I know everyone's tired of toads, but I would like to see some Toad have skin-tones as an caption one seem have a dark-tone... something make me want to see some more original npcs and toads with few tones. Bowser one look so lit. This game seem "better" SS, but the battle system is.... eh not exciting but the writing, gameplay out of the battles and plot look amazing to me.

I give it 6.5/10

lack of partners, battle system experience, and original npcs

EDIT:
am i only one who wish Toadette would be Rescue Squad Chief?
Im soo maaaaaad that fact is Bowser Jr isn't in this game at all... more likely "NSMB2" x Color Splash except coins of course

Color Splash has a form of experience just so ya know.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd,

ladies and gentlemen,
Nintendo confirms once again that more often than not it barely has any clue about the Koopalings:
like the cool kids would say, lol at Lemmy making the enemy flee by running into them...

Well, at least the boss battles, the poses and the dialogues are decent and reveal new things about their personality. And the sprites are awesome.

My very important hot take as someone who hasn't played the game

I have to give props to Color Splash: the game looks gorgeous and the writing is very sharp. It may not be the sequel TTYD super-fanboys wanted, but at this point, I think accusing it of being "souless" or "NSMB-ified" (whatever that means) is just wrong.

Unfortunately though, I'll still likely pass on the game, because all that can't make up for the fact that Color Splash, according to both journos and people who played the pre-load, doesn't quite go far enough in fixing Sticker Star's gameplay problems and even double down on some of them. The glory of the old paper marios was as much in the battling as it was in the crazy.

Yeah, from what I've read it's a lot better by Sticker Star but still has a lot of the same flaws. The difference is that Sticker Star was defined by its flaw, whereas this game seems to be weighed down by them.

I'd buy it for a third of the price maybe, but Nintendo usually takes years to discount their games a significant amount.

I know there's an art gallery in this game, but does anyone know if there's a soundtrack player in this game? SPM had one in a sense, although it was a bit of a pain in the ass since the songs were randomly chosen and Sticker Star only had a few songs. I'd honestly be surprised if the game doesn't have one, especially since the music seems to be one of the aspects that almost everyone can unanimously agree is great.

yeah during a stream i saw that there was a soundtrack room, not sure if it has literally every song though

The game is finally out. I wonder if anyone here has bought it today.

Maria Renard said:
The game is finally out. I wonder if anyone here has bought it today.
"Due to a change in the business name of the shop, the game you ordered will be delivered at the end of October" :'(

I have got it preordered, but I am not expecting the game to arrive until next week. I think that the game has to first arrive in Malaysia first, then only will it be sent out to those that preorder.

Currently avoided most of the spoilers, so I am curious as to see what surprises there are in store for this action-adventure.

Thanks for reading.

This game is better than Sticker Star according to some reviews. Color Splash removes the flaws with Sticker Star.

A lot of reviews also say that Sticker Star's gameplay flaws that Color Splash brought over bog down the game.

This is gonna be another SPM I think with varying opinions all over the place on the quality of the game.

I was expecting this game to get meta-bombed by whiny TTYD fanbabies.

Striker Mario said:
I was expecting this game to get meta-bombed by whiny TTYD fanbabies.
i went to gamefaqs the other day and I could not cope some of the posts on this games forum with people writing the game off before playing and making a massive deal out over the fact that it's not like the first two games

A very good news:

many characters are almost entirely single-sprite-for-body-based, which is awesome as I'm already enjoying that Ludwig sprite sheet... (exceptions exist of course, but even Draggadon has whole body sprites).

I didn't expect Intelligent Systems to use so many single sprites for whole characters, almost like AlphaDream, which I suspect is way more time consuming than the separate parts used since the first game and that became so extensively used in TTYD (and in Sticker star too).

Apart from the fact that this method creates sprite sheets that I enjoy way more, I think it has the potential of creating poses which show more personality, since there are no restrictions due to the attachment of the moving parts, so I definitely like it.

Those full-bodied sprites are absolutely beautiful.

Ninelevendo said:
So this game uses sprites? How did they pull off the flip around thing when a character turns around?
I think it's just a sprite "attached" to a 3D object like a texture, should be more than doable with modern hadware. From an artistic point of view, I really hope that full-bodied sprites will become more common.

Ninelevendo said:
So this game uses sprites? How did they pull off the flip around thing when a character turns around?

They're textures attached to a 3D model of a 2D plane.

Mister Wu said:
I think it's just a sprite "attached" to a 3D object like a texture, should be more than doable with modern hadware. From a graphical point of view, I really hope that full-bodied sprites will become more common.

It has been done since N64 hardware to optimize the game when it cannot render 3D polygons

Back