If they were to make an HD remake of the original Paper Mario,what would you add

Anser

King Bowser
I know, I know. Most of us would rather have a brand new game in the series.

BUT, if you were part of the development team for an HD remake of the original Paper Mario game, what features would you add/change?

Here are mine:

-A major graphic overhaul, updated with more paper-y graphics, similar to the ones from Sticker Star (the one thing they got right).

-All the music gets slightly remixed and updated with better sound quality. This also goes to sound effects; Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser now have some voice clips.

-A Tattle Log and Recipe Log are added (I liked Tattling my enemies but after you get the Peekaboo badge the move becomes pretty much useless. Also I always lost track of the recipes I had already made with Tayce T.).
-One-time enemies like the Goomba King who don't get Tattled will have their entry for the Tattle Log at Russ T.'s trash bin.

-Goombario's Tattle move now requires an Action Command to use, pretty much like Goombella's.

-Using Star Spirit moves now also require an Action Command, like when using the Crystal Stars in TTYD.

-Partners get an HP Gauge of their own, so now they don't get stunned when hit and can stay in front of Mario in battles, further expanding battle strategy.
-Because of this, the game's difficulty is increased, as many enemies are stronger; they have more HP and hit harder than before.

-Partners can use Items and Focus without the need of Badges.

-Lakilester's speed when Mario rides his cloud is increased.

-Koopa Koot's errands are expanded to function much like the Trouble Center from TTYD.

-The game no longer features a never-ending loop when the "The End" screen appears at the end of the game. Instead, players are taken back to Toad Town so they can continue their adventure, and characters in the game acknowledge that Bowser has been defeated. Peach is back and so is her castle, which works as a hub for mini-games like the cake baking one or the hide 'n seek one in the library.

-The 30 Badge Points cap is gone. It is now unlimited and players can have more than one of the same Badge.

-There are many more letters for Parakarry to deliver.

-Players can now upgrade the limit of items in their inventory to 20 by completing a specific errand for Koopa Koot.

-Players have to pay Toad for a stay at their inns. The fee increases as they advance in the story.
-Players also have to pay when using HP Blocks.

-The Shop Points feature from TTYD and SPM return. The player will get a special item every 10 items bought.

-Players can now use Action Commands when dealing a First Strike.

-The Superguard command from TTYD makes a return.

-No matter how high Mario's level is, he will always earn at least one Star Point after finishing a battle.

Now add yours! :)

Anser said:
-Players have to pay Toad for a stay at their inns. The fee increases as they advance in the story.
IMO, those things should be free, but it's your opinion.

Retain changes so that this speedrun is still possible.

Highlights of the run:
- Glitch that allows the player to exit an area if they stop jumping (good for saving time and skipping the first Jr. Troopa)
- Slip into the outer boundaries to get to the top level faster
- Advance the Chapters by skipping Chapter 5's boss and playing the Misstar cutscene again
- Skip 4 partners (Kooper, Bow, Watt and Sushie) because they aren't required to finish the game with the glitches. The water section can even be traversed without Sushie in a glitched run!

Thanks for reading.

Striker Mario said:
Anser said:

It IS much better to have them for free, but I feel like adding that would add some challenge to the game, so coins have another use than that of just buying items. Maybe for a "Hard Mode" at least?

What kind of challenge, though? Because the way The Thousand-Year Door handled it is pretty much negligible could've-been-free kind of thing. Otherwise, would making inns terribly expensive be a bad thing?

How about an optional partner or two ala Ms. Mowz in TTYD? They can be gotten through exclusive sidequests only found in the remake.

Anser said:
-A major graphic overhaul, updated with more paper-y graphics, similar to the ones from Sticker Star (the one thing they got right).

-All the music gets slightly remixed and updated with better sound quality. This also goes to sound effects; Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser now have some voice clips.

-A Tattle Log and Recipe Log are added (I liked Tattling my enemies but after you get the Peekaboo badge the move becomes pretty much useless. Also I always lost track of the recipes I had already made with Tayce T.).
-One-time enemies like the Goomba King who don't get Tattled will have their entry for the Tattle Log at Russ T.'s trash bin.

-Goombario's Tattle move now requires an Action Command to use, pretty much like Goombella's.

-Using Star Spirit moves now also require an Action Command, like when using the Crystal Stars in TTYD.

-Partners get an HP Gauge of their own, so now they don't get stunned when hit and can stay in front of Mario in battles, further expanding battle strategy.
-Because of this, the game's difficulty is increased, as many enemies are stronger; they have more HP and hit harder than before.

-Partners can use Items and Focus without the need of Badges.

-Lakilester's speed when Mario rides his cloud is increased.

-Koopa Koot's errands are expanded to function much like the Trouble Center from TTYD.

-The game no longer features a never-ending loop when the "The End" screen appears at the end of the game. Instead, players are taken back to Toad Town so they can continue their adventure, and characters in the game acknowledge that Bowser has been defeated. Peach is back and so is her castle, which works as a hub for mini-games like the cake baking one or the hide 'n seek one in the library.

-The 30 Badge Points cap is gone. It is now unlimited and players can have more than one of the same Badge.

-There are many more letters for Parakarry to deliver.

-Players can now upgrade the limit of items in their inventory to 20 by completing a specific errand for Koopa Koot.

-The Shop Points feature from TTYD and SPM return. The player will get a special item every 10 items bought.

-Players can now use Action Commands when dealing a First Strike.

-The Superguard command from TTYD makes a return.

-No matter how high Mario's level is, he will always earn at least one Star Point after finishing a battle.

This mostly just sounds like "take features from TTYD and apply them to the original". Still, its not a bad idea.

I'd like Yoshi and Luigi to be optional partners, and Wario (with or without Waluigi) to replace Jr. Troopa as the minor secondary antagonist.

A mode where you can fight the bosses again and you have full control over your stats and badges.

Not just for this game, but skippable cutscenes.

A bank where Mario can deposit his coins and everytime you save a certain amount, you get a great item.

Expand the playroom so you get prizes other than coins.

Make some changes to the Li'l Oinks Farm. Seriously, 10 pigs for just one item?

How about Action Commands for every move?

Striker Mario said:
Anser said:

Hey, those caretakers need to earn a living too.

I like that fight the bosses again mode idea. Maybe it could be a prize for beating The Master three times.

Dark ProtoMan said:
Striker Mario said:
Anser said:

Hey, those caretakers need to earn a living too.
They don't have to be necessarily for-profit if you wanna apply some realism.

i would have all characters changed to toads, the story highly simplified to bower kidnapping peach and have a graphics overhaul so all the areas look similar to NSMB

no really the only thing i would change is to add in the features missing from this game that were from future installments to improve the expirece

Myrmidon NSY said:
i would have all characters changed to toads, the story highly simplified to bower kidnapping peach and have a graphics overhaul so all the areas look similar to NSMB

no really the only thing i would change is to add in the features missing from this game that were from future installments to improve the expirece
Even if you're tongue-in-cheek, isn't that what exactly the original Paper Mario's plot is, but just with McGuffins?

Something should be done about Chuck Quizmo. It was really annoying running all over the world trying to find him even with the warp pipes.

As for Parakarry's letters change it so that you get more rewards beyond just a star piece for every letter.

Not my idea, but I want Kooper to be turned into the blue member of the Koopa Bros. with a slightly different moveset.

Make the partners have more dialogue than the original.

And Bombette, Watt, and Sushi?

Striker Mario said:

I'm surprised you didn't complain about that Mario's eye placement in the Gmod picture

Striker Mario said:

Bombette's attacks are repetitive, but otherwise they're good.

Watt's not perfect, but her piercing, boost, and paralysis abilities make her great. Only drawback is she takes damage from fire enemies like Embers and Lava Bubbles.

Sushi's Squirt and Tidal Wave could use less annoying action commands, but that's about it.

I like TC's ideas.

But I think it's more likely to be ported to the 3DS or NX than the Wii U, because it's already on the Virtual Console.

i would've just said "give it TTYD's partner and battle system and rebalance the game accordingly" but all of Anser's ideas are Pretty Good.

•Replace the graphics with CGI.
•Insert more Dewback lizards and imperial walkers walking around in the opening cutscene.
•Re-insert Jabba the Hutt into the Gusty Gulch chapter.

I don't think everything needs action commands. I actually prefer certain ones not having action commands.

A pit of 100 trials would be interesting to see for this game. Maybe some of the enemies encountered further down would be based on those from the sequels, except in the style of the original game.

It could then have a nice 'superboss' enemy at the bottom which gives even the Master a run for his money strength wise.

The aforementioned stuff like tattles and the Thousand Year Door's partner system would be nice to see too.

horses tbh said:
Dark ProtoMan said:
horses tbh said:
make goombario less useless
pic

what the *bleep*

I was kinda disturbed, but maybe that's because I'm too concerned with speech class to be not as sensitive.

As for the remake, fewer minor NPCs. You don't need a gazillion NPCs and a plot to make a smash hit game.

Back