If you could erase 1 character from existence who would it be?

Sabre said:
Baby Luigi said:
Yeah you did forget, considering that Elder Princess Shroob isn't the main antagonist of Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time

She's a catalyst sure, but once you beat her in that first boss fight, she doesn't appear again. Bowser is more of a main antagonist than Elder Princess Shroob.

But the Elder Princess Shroob isn't the main antagonist of Partners in Time....she's just a final boss. As for Bowser, he barely even plays a role in the story. The Princess Shroob is the main antagonist of Partners in Time, she's the one you see and she's like the prime target, considering her sister is incapacitated.

Striker Mario said:
but I think Mario's still used more than Donkey Kong, Shy Guy, Baby Luigi, or Wario, and I'm not sure how he stands against Bowser, Toad, or Toadette.

I like it how you have to compare Mario to characters who barely even appear in main series games at all to establish some sort of "merit" he has. Like, out of the main cast, I can definitely say he's one of the least popular of them.

Like, out of Mario, Luigi, Toad, Yoshi, Bowser, and Peach, Mario is probably competing against Toad for popularity, even beating him, but mostly because Toad has an ambiguous identity in the first place.

Baby Luigi said:
Striker Mario said:
but I think Mario's still used more than Donkey Kong, Shy Guy, Baby Luigi, or Wario, and I'm not sure how he stands against Bowser, Toad, or Toadette.

I like it how you have to compare Mario to characters who barely even appear in main series games at all to establish some sort of "merit" he has. Like, out of the main cast, I can definitely say he's one of the least popular of them.

Like, out of Mario, Luigi, Toad, Yoshi, Bowser, and Peach, Mario is probably competing against Toad for popularity, even beating him, but mostly because Toad has an ambiguous identity in the first place.
So, because I like to be meticulous about the facts, I decided to do a little bit of research on this and on Mario's popularity. The best way to do this is to examine public polls in which the characters are ranked! I don't know of any polls within this website, but there are various others you can find just with a little digging.

• On this list, he's sitting pretty at the number 3 spot, just below Yoshi and Luigi.
  • Upon taking this quizmo, the results are the same - Yoshi in first, Luigi in second, Mario in third.
  • Another quizmo, and wouldn't you know it! The results are the same again! With Yoshi in first, Luigi in second, and Mario in third. (surprisingly, though, in this one, Princess Daisy is tied with him.)
  • Yet another poll, but this one has the most interesting results. Yoshi is still, predictably, in first, but Mario is actually in second this time, beating out his brother (who's tied for third with Bowser in this case.)

This is a pretty small size but one of those polls has over 1000 votes. I think it's safe to say that Mario is not as unpopular as has been suggested within this thread.

Swiftie_Luma said:
The logic around Mario not being selected by most people in Spin Off games is simple:

In every Main game , and literally any Mario game (except games like Luigi's Mansion and SPP) you are forced to Play as Mario , only limited occasions such as 3D world break this rule , but otherwise you are forced to play as Mario.

Why would anybdy play as Mario when you have plenty of characters for all the tastes to choose from in Spin Off games?

Yeah , unless you specifically like Mario ; Otherwise he is not a popular choice.

Mario is also supposed to be the All-Around type of character, but in some games, All-Around is just not good enough. This is especially true in Mario Kart 64, where Mario and Luigi are ironically, the worst characters in the game.

MnSG said:
Swiftie_Luma said:
The logic around Mario not being selected by most people in Spin Off games is simple:

In every Main game , and literally any Mario game (except games like Luigi's Mansion and SPP) you are forced to Play as Mario , only limited occasions such as 3D world break this rule , but otherwise you are forced to play as Mario.

Why would anybdy play as Mario when you have plenty of characters for all the tastes to choose from in Spin Off games?

Yeah , unless you specifically like Mario ; Otherwise he is not a popular choice.

Mario is also supposed to be the All-Around type of character, but in some games, All-Around is just not good enough. This is especially true in Mario Kart 64, where Mario and Luigi are ironically, the worst characters in the game.
While I understand the reasoning behind that, I still have to say I've seen plenty of people play as him and I have done so myself, and I do think that the spin-offs definitely would be missing Mario should he be taken out.

Also, hey, All-Arounders aren't automatically the worst. ;P They're usually the easiest characters to pick up since they aren't specialized.

ルイージ said:
While I understand the reasoning behind that, I still have to say I've seen plenty of people play as him and I have done so myself, and I do think that the spin-offs definitely would be missing Mario should he be taken out.

Also, hey, All-Arounders aren't automatically the worst. ;P They're usually the easiest characters to pick up since they aren't specialized.

True, but they do lack the speed of a Speedy character, the power of a Power character, and the accuracy of a Technical character. Sometimes, lacking in one of those categories could prove to be a problem, but it does tend to be balanced out in that while one stat is made stronger, another is made to be weaker; for an example, Power characters hit hard, but tend to lack speed.

ルイージ said:
Baby Luigi said:
Striker Mario said:

So, because I like to be meticulous about the facts, I decided to do a little bit of research on this and on Mario's popularity. The best way to do this is to examine public polls in which the characters are ranked! I don't know of any polls within this website, but there are various others you can find just with a little digging.

• On this list, he's sitting pretty at the number 3 spot, just below Yoshi and Luigi.
  • Upon taking this quizmo, the results are the same - Yoshi in first, Luigi in second, Mario in third.
  • Another quizmo, and wouldn't you know it! The results are the same again! With Yoshi in first, Luigi in second, and Mario in third. (surprisingly, though, in this one, Princess Daisy is tied with him.)
  • Yet another poll, but this one has the most interesting results. Yoshi is still, predictably, in first, but Mario is actually in second this time, beating out his brother (who's tied for third with Bowser in this case.)

This is a pretty small size but one of those polls has over 1000 votes. I think it's safe to say that Mario is not as unpopular as has been suggested within this thread.
This is what I thought. I KNEW Mario's one of the more popular characters, although I used to think he wasn't, but after polls on GameFaqs and now these polls, I have to reexamine that stance, although I'm still skeptical that the results are representative of the Mario fanbase. In the meantime, I just adjusted it "Mario's definitely one of the more popular characters, but still not as popular as Luigi or Yoshi, and it doesn't help that Game Theory shits all over him".

MnSG said:
Swiftie_Luma said:

In other games, being all-around is amazing. Baseball, Strikers, and Smash 4 Wii U are prime examples. So yeah, sometimes he's good, sometimes he's bad.

The Koopalings
They're just one character for the price of seven and their personality and creativity are just glorified fan fic material.

The Piantas are a very close second, though its mainly because I can understand Mario's pain of being falsely accused with either false or non-existent evidence. Their stupidity and corruption never ceases to amaze me. You can't overrule someone's objection (at least not someone of royalty), if you say you'll be watching Mario, how about actually watching him, if your home is in trouble due to the Shine Sprites' disappearance, how about handing over the few Shine Sprites you have to the authorities instead of making Mario paricipate in your sumb contest or perform menial labor?
Still, they're not all bad, they make excellent batters in the baseball games.

Mister Wu said:
Doctor Kirby said:
The Koopalings
They're just one character for the price of seven
I'm sorry but I don't understand this point. Could you explain it a bit more?

I don't get it either. New Super Mario Bros. Wii modified each Koopaling to be different, which included size and shell color differences.

They lack creativity, they just do the same things as each other, in SMB3 they just shoot Mario with the wands they stole, in SMW, they just sit in their castles guarding the Yoshi eggs, so on and so forth. And they have almost no personality to differentiate them to the point where fighting the koopalings isn't much different from fighting Bowser or Junior 7-8 times in a row.

Doctor Kirby said:
They lack creativity, they just do the same things as each other, in SMB3 they just shoot Mario with the wands they stole, in SMW, they just sit in their castles guarding the Yoshi eggs, so on and so forth. And they have almost no personality to differentiate them to the point where fighting the koopalings isn't much different from fighting Bowser or Junior 7-8 times in a row.
Your point is fine regarding the NSMB games (Larry even reuses the same model and animations in all the NSMB games!), and I agree that characters that are 27 years old should have a much more developed personality at this point, I still think that bad use of characters doesn't mean that the characters are bad themselves. Even the little effort that was done in Mario Kart 8 and Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam and revealed us something more about them, and fortunately some aspects of Larry's personality seen in Paper Jam are returning in Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. It's not much at all, but in my opinion at shows at least that those characters can have a personality if the designers invest enough of their time on this aspect.

don't care if the koopalings are gone for eternity

Some of the Koopalings do have unique attack methods though. They just need to be utilized more often.
  • Larry doesn't have any unique abilities.
  • Morton can create tremors, but they don't stun Mario for very long, and he takes the longest time to attack with his wand.
  • Wendy can create rings that bounce around, and she jumps the highest of all the Koopalings.
  • Iggy takes the shortest time to attack with his wand, and he can defy gravity by walking on ceilings.
  • Roy can create tremors that can stun Mario for a longer time period than Morton's tremors, and he takes the second shortest time to attack with his wand.
  • Lemmy can ride on top of a ball, while attacking with either additional balls or bombs.
  • Ludwig can flutter, create clones of himself, and his fireballs have homing capabilities.

Baby Luigi said:
don't care if the koopalings are gone for eternity
You don't have to. That's my "job"! ;)

P.S.: read this as "I am supposed to!" because I like them and not as some kind of grotesque entitlement...

Don't worry I'm sure my love for Baby Luigi fills the "not caring" gap left by poor souls anyway

I should probably prepare for pitchforks and torches on this one, but Fawful.

I just never liked him. His whole Engrish gimmick was funny at first but got tiresome really fast, and the fact that the fandom latched on to him didn't help matters. I usually end up disliking the fan favorite characters if I didn't love them to begin with.

Maybe I'm biased with how much I like Prince Peasley but whatever​

Floofshi said:

I just never liked him. His whole Engrish gimmick was funny at first but got tiresome really fast, and the fact that the fandom latched on to him didn't help matters. I usually end up disliking the fan favorite characters if I didn't love them to begin with.

Amen. I despise Fawful too.

He was good in the small doses that we got of him in Superstar Saga, but Bowser's Inside Story took his character and charged it straight into the stratosphere.

Floofshi said:

thank you for this great opinion~

Floofshi said:

Fawful hate is pretty tolerated around here.

I'd take a million fawfuls over that annoying jester.

I wouldn't erase any character. Every character has fans, even characters like Pink Gold Peach and I think it's unfair to their fans to remove the character from existance

i disagree

i will force luigi fans to watch their idol burn as a golden waluigi statue crushes his grave

Back