Rosalina: character development or character derailment?

YoshiCookie

Goomba
I've noticed that ever since her debut, Rosalina has gotten more and more emotive. This was very noticeable to me because in her debut, Rosalina is very stoic and monotone, which in my opinion was a contrast to the hamminess and upbeatness of the rest of the cast. She talks in a very straightforward and serious manner and only smiles once in each Galaxy game. In all games after her debut excluding Galaxy 2, though, she got considerably and noticeably more lively. You may attribute this to her change in voice actors, but even as early as Mario Kart Wii, when she was still voiced by Mercedes Rose, I noticed a dramatic personality change.

My question is, do you believe this new openness to her a deliberate development in her character or simply a sign that Nintendo is beginning to ignore that side of her?

You never know what the dark lords at Nintendo are thinking. I do think Nintendo is sort of forgetting about her calm personality. It has been nearly 6 years since Galaxy 2.

More like she's just having a good time like everybody else.

You can't really be calm when the wind's whistling in your face and Wario has a bomb that will blow your ears out.

Dr. Mario said:
You can't really be calm when the wind's whistling in your face and Wario has a bomb that will blow your ears out.

but you can while you float around in the middle of space

Space is very quiet.

Mcmadness said:
Space is very quiet.

in fact since sound needs a medium to travel through (outer space has nothing), there is literally no sound in outer space.

Baby Luigi said:
Mcmadness said:
Space is very quiet.

in fact since sound needs a medium to travel through (outer space has nothing), there is literally no sound in outer space.
OT: This was my biggest problem with Gravity

Mary Berry said:
Dr. Mario said:

but you can while you float around in the middle of space
Really?

Because I wouldn't be calm if I had to contend with intense UV radiation and the thinly-spread matter.

On-topic, Rosalina's different depictions seem to be a heroic version of how Bowser can swing between being a terrifying turtle overlord and Mario's sports partner. If there was another game with Rosalina in a major scripted role, her dialogue would be more in line with her Galaxy self than just depicting her as "Peach but in space and not kidnapped".

Tv Tropes eh?
To me Rosalina's sudden change of behavior is justified as she is not facing any problems. I will be behaving like her if I Bowser was being a threat to the universe and having a tragic backstory won't help me. I think that her being "happy and carefree" is the result of having more friends and the lack of a universal threat. But I also won't let her be a flat character.

I do feel like Rosalina is being derailed at some areas, especially with the recent wardrobe additions.

All I know is that I don't really like Rosalina like I used to anymore. She lost that 'special' feel she had when she seldom appeared in games. Now she's everywhere. I guess it makes sense since she was very well received and liked by almost everyone, but I don't know... I liked it more when she wasn't everywhere.

Her new voice is also horrible. It's way too "happy", if you will. Especially in Mario Kart 8.

Due to her appearances in later games, I felt that the Comet Observatory is already forgotten, although this place is mentioned in most of her character bios.

MnSG said:
I do feel like Rosalina is being derailed at some areas, especially with the recent wardrobe additions.
Really? I don't see them as OoC for her.

The way Nintendo visualises their Mario series characters is by imagining them as being actors/actresses of a play. They just assume different roles in each game. To Nintendo, approaching the situation in this way is not a problem at all.

Chiaki Nanami said:
The way Nintendo visualises their Mario series characters is by imagining them as being actors/actresses of a play. They just assume different roles in each game. To Nintendo, approaching the situation in this way is not a problem at all.
I knew someone was going to bring that up. And I agree.

MnSG said:
What do you mean?

I hate to sound snarky, but aren't those just appropriate attire for women? It's the creepy hetero men's problem, not Rosalina's decision to wear a swimsuit or a tennis outfit. On another note, if Rosalina is gonna get goggled at and objectified, I'd love for Mario to be in a speedo (okay not a speedo but swim trunks at least please?) and it's not fair that I don't get my share of fanservice because Mario thinks overalls are always appropriate (and they always aren't, just look at his goddang stats).

Dr. Mario said:
On another note, I'd love for Mario to be in a speedo (okay not a speedo but swim trunks at least please?) and it's not fair that I don't get my share of fanservice because Mario thinks overalls are always appropriate (and they always aren't, just look at his goddang stats).
Just ask
latest
And there's more:
CN_Scan_Erholung._Nein%2C_danke!_3.png

Gah, it's all low-res. But in the next image, the later panels are perfect. I hate it when Mario's all sweaty in his dingy dirty overalls, he needs to let go and relax and be comfortable. And I loooove that Luigi's in an inner tube, so cute. :3

And I can't find that Superstar Saga sprite in MarioWiki. Screw it, I'm gonna upload it.

MLSS-Toad_KO_at_Mario_House.png

Not a screenshot, but a sprite.

Aaannnnd, on another note. I think Rosalina looks fine in her dress, swimsuit, whatever. And why can't she be in those again?

To calm any of you gals' britches, I'm an asexual aromantic.

Quite possibly the only times we've ever seen Mario shirtless? I'd expect him to be...hairier.

Back on topic, I don't think Rosalina's tennis outfit or swimsuit are inappropriate at all. It's just a few fanboys objectifying her, and that happens with almost any fictional character.

Back