Rosalina: character development or character derailment?

MnSG said:
Iggy Waffles said:
I din't believe what this thread turned into.

Technically, the recent discussions do have some involvement with the character derailment that Rosalina has been dealing with.

Not really, she essentially is the same character. At that time the thread was about 'revealing' attires, which has nothing to do with derailment.

Well this entire thread can literally be described as "pointless complaining about Rosalina".

Since really nothing is really anything serious or alarming whatsoever.

YoshiCookie said:
Still wonder how she can survive for centuries though.

Well, if you're travelling faster than the speed of light, you would age a lot more slowly than the rest of the galaxy.

^Wait... what?

Oh, but the "faster than the speed of light" part got me.

Personally i believe there's a major change in Rosalina's character , and it's all a mix of being in different games , different situations and of course , different voices.

We don't see that problem with Any other character , even if they behave drastically different in some games (compare Mario Kart to Mario Strikers) because they have a trademark sound that remind us the base of the character , what they represent initially and what they truly are.

Sure , most characters in Mario are very ... bland(?) in the sense that they are just happy characters that have a good time according to the situation.

In the case of Rosalina we can appreacite this even more since she doesn't sound like 1 person consistently ; You would be feeling awkward if every once in a while you talk to a friend and she sounds like 3 different people.

Weird right? the comparison fits since Rosalina appears more and more often in games as a newcomer.

We can see Rosalina was presented as a very mature character above all , and that trait carried over to Mario Kart Wii , and it didn't matter that she was racing against others in that game , she still was the same as before , but now behaving according to the game.

the transition to MK7 feels like a bridge , considering that what changed was that Rosalina sounded even more upbeat , but not over the top so it was ''all right''. It also helped that Kane's voice , while not identical to Rose's , was very alike in many other aspects other than just being ''identical'' or trying to be an imitation.

And now the current transition to Rosalina , in current games , she sounds nothing like before , alright , but i'm not feeling anything from Rosalina's former character in present games , compared to MKWii and MK7 , Rosalina in MK8 feels like a brand new character in all senses , i just don't feel it is herself anymore.

It looks like her , doesn't sound like her.

Was Rosalina suppoused to be excited in sitiations that demanded it? Sure , like in MKWii ; But was she really suppoused to be another Daisy when she screams ''WEEEEEE'' and sounding overall like Peach??? i don't think so.

For the record , when it ''sounds like Peach'' it doesn't mean it's identical , it means it has the same sweet and girly vibe that Peach portrays in her voice. It doesn't help at all when Rosalina is femenine too , so she ends up feeling like she is Blue Peach.

I want to fully accept the change , but i simply can't considering that the trasition isn't as smooth as it was from Rose to Kane.

And then on the other side , we have Rosalina smiling a lot like in the 3DWorld render which i think its off character .

:rosalina:

The following image definitely looks way out of character for Rosalina.

Serious_Rosalina_-_Super_Mario_Sticker.gif

What was Nintendo thinking there?! That image makes Rosalina look very arrogant, and that goes way against her personality of being a nice and caring individual.

In fact, that image alone left one heck of a wound on me, because it really messed up how I feel about Rosalina now.

To be honest, that image , if anything , actually rescues Rosalina's character a bit more.

She doesn't look arrogant , she looks serious and the voice clip that comes with it suggest a slightly witty and sassy emotion.

i would take this

http://s0.vocaroo.com/media/download_temp/Vocaroo_s0A1KkB3Z09X.mp3

rather that this , (that i don't even know what on earth this is , but is not Rosalina for what i know)

YPbrjNf.png

http://s0.vocaroo.com/media/download_temp/Vocaroo_s00s92GDX2UG.mp3

I'll take the seriousness and witty behavior as actual development instead of a generic Peach clone anyday.

MnSG said:
The following image definitely looks way out of character for Rosalina.

What was Nintendo thinking there?! That image makes Rosalina look very arrogant, and that goes way against her personality of being a nice and caring individual.

In fact, that image alone left one heck of a wound on me, because it really messed up how I feel about Rosalina now.
I don't know, I thought it was an improvement over Rosalina in Mario Kart 8 or Mario Party 10; this better represents the stoic goddess-like cosmic woman than the 3D World lady-on-crack. I think she's a tad too "don't mess with me" but otherwise, I like the depiction.

I like that depiction better too. Prefer that over the overly happy 3D World Rosalina.

Well that probably means you don't care too much for Rosalina I guess.

I just like consistency in her portrayals and while I don't have much problem with her in 3D World and Kart 8, I just prefer her before like in Kart Wii or Galaxy.

One of the things around the whole issue has to be irony.

People complained a lot about Kerri Kane taking over when she was totally fine as Rosalina, and now Rosalina sounds the worst way possible now that she is gone.

Be careful what you wish for...

The only way to rescue this is to pray for a game like Super Mario Galaxy 3 or something that doesn't allow Rosalina to behave and sound so girly and bubbly.

I can kinda get behind her having that voice in Mario Kart. She's racing with a bunch of friends and having a good time. 3D World was a little much though.

I don't really care that much about her losing that stoicism though. I guess it's because I used to be a fan of her's but Smash 4 has made me irrationally hate her.

I guess I just think that Rosalina needs to at least have a happy expression at times, which is shown in her Mario Party 10 artwork.

Rosalina_-_Mario_Party_10.png

In fact, Rosalina actually does make a smile in the extra ending for Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Gentle smiles are very much part of Rosalina since day 1 anyway , she also smiles in Mario Kart Wii , and it looks natural and not forced like in Mario Kart 8.

You have to admit, Rosalina's artwork for Mario Kart 8 is pretty awesome

Honestly, I don't think either artwork is OoC for her. The former is just her smiling a little. She's not that giddy. And the latter, as people have said, was intended to be serious and stoic rather than arrogant and smug, though I can see why people could read the latter from her expression.

And Rosalina has been more upbeat since Mario Kart Wii, when she was still voiced by Mercedes Rose, so this is really nothing new. I don't know why she left, but I actually like Laura Faye Smith's portrayal, although Mercedes Rose is still a classic and Kerri Kane is great too.

The problem that i have with Smith's version is that , she is clearly capable to pull it off nicely but then for some reason she just doesn't do it as of now.

In Super Mario 3D World she noticeably did waaaay better than in Mario Kart 8 , which was a disaster , and i don't even know how can that be but they did it.

It's a bit frustrating to feel that the person clearly has talent and has what it takes to fit the role but then again she doesn't do it , when she started off nicely on the first place. And above all i will always blame and hate Nintendo and not the Actress for this since my gut tells me that they are making her sound like that on purpose.

These are 2 different people for me:

http://s1.vocaroo.com/media/download_temp/Vocaroo_s1j3hNbJwqsx.mp3

http://s1.vocaroo.com/media/download_temp/Vocaroo_s1idGYGm4W7h.mp3

If Rosalina being ''happy'' means she doesn't sound like 1 person consistently and that she sounds like she is high and trying to imitate Peach then i would like her to stay emotionless instead.

Back