Rosalina: character development or character derailment?

YoshiCookie said:
Quite possibly the only times we've ever seen Mario shirtless? I'd expect him to be...hairier.

Back on topic, I don't think Rosalina's tennis dress is inappropriate at all. It's just a few fanboys objectifying her, and that happens with almost any fictional character.
Really? Mario doesn't or shouldn't have body hair. He's a cartoon character that's supposed to be appealing and a bit on the cute side, for the children, not gross. Also, you missed Super Mario-Kun. Mario cross-dresses a lot there, and I think he dressed in what looks like a female bathing suit at one point.

Yeah, as I said, I don't think it's inappropriate, and it's not her fault that actual little boys do little boy things and others are creepy manchildren.

I don't see why people think Rosalina's sports and swimsuit outfit are inappropiate. It's not like they're revealing or anything.

YoshiCookie said:
Quite possibly the only times we've ever seen Mario shirtless? I'd expect him to be...hairier.
Well, there was also this:
CN_Scan_Im_Rausch_der_Geschwindigkeit.PNG
Club Nintendo comics are really golden.

Anyway, to return on topic, I think the first time I realized there was an "odd" development of Rosalina is when I saw this image:
Rosalina_Artwork_-_Mario_Kart_8.png
It is innocuous, of course, as this is a family game, yet I don't think it would fit the last page of Rosalina's storybook...

Everyone likes to bring up the storybook, but everyone forgets it's just a storybook and they take it completely seriously as Rosalina's actual backstory.

Magikrazy said:
Everyone likes to bring up the storybook, but everyone forgets it's just a storybook and they take it completely seriously as Rosalina's actual backstory.
http://www.wired.com/2007/12/interview-super/

"For a long time, it really felt like telling a story in a Mario game was something that wasn’t allowed. But I felt in this case that the Lumas and Rosalina really needed a story to explain what they were doing out there and to give the players a deeper understanding of their presence. So telling her story as a fairytale by reading the book to all the Lumas as if they were young children at storytime just seemed like the mood-appropriate way to accomplish this."

Mister Wu said:
Magikrazy said:

"For a long time, it really felt like telling a story in a Mario game was something that wasn’t allowed. But I felt in this case that the Lumas and Rosalina really needed a story to explain what they were doing out there and to give the players a deeper understanding of their presence. So telling her story as a fairytale by reading the book to all the Lumas as if they were young children at storytime just seemed like the mood-appropriate way to accomplish this."

If they got Rosalina to straightup explain everything and call it day, it really wouldn't be moving. But the storybook throws in an element, that makes it feel like a fairytale, a true one at it. Am I being logical for once?

Iggy Waffles said:
Mister Wu said:
Magikrazy said:

If they got Rosalina to straightup explain everything and call it day, it really wouldn't be moving. But the storybook throws in an element, that makes it feel like a fairytale, a true one at it. Am I being logical for once?

Just because it's her story doesn't mean it's all true.

There's bound to be several embellishments to enhance the story.

Plus, she could have just plain remembered details incorrectly since nobody's memory is perfect or even almost perfect.

I like to think she's been watching over the Lumas for much longer than she can remember and she just made up the story because the Lumas wouldn't stop asking why she watches over them.

id say i still enjoy rosalina, even more then i did before.

She'll never top luigi or peach, but i still think she's one of the best, glad she has been playable quite a bit.

as for her emotions, i still think that she was originally lonely in galaxy, but after actually being around other humans and whatnot, shes more up beat then before, in my opinion, thats a good thing.

I used to like her but now she doesn't feel as special as she was in Galaxy. Plus her fanbase is so terrible.

Marcia said:
I don't see why people think Rosalina's sports and swimsuit outfit are inappropiate. It's not like they're revealing or anything.

They can be quite questionable at certain areas.

Magikrazy said:

It's supposed to explain Rosalina's origin story. Most other characters (ignoring RPG exclusives) don't have an actual backstory to go by.

Magikrazy said:
Just because it's her story doesn't mean it's all true.

There's bound to be several embellishments to enhance the story.

Plus, she could have just plain remembered details incorrectly since nobody's memory is perfect or even almost perfect.

I like to think she's been watching over the Lumas for much longer than she can remember and she just made up the story because the Lumas wouldn't stop asking why she watches over them.

I doubt that Rosalina would just make up her own origin story though.

Cirdec said:
I used to like her but now she doesn't feel as special as she was in Galaxy. Plus her fanbase is so terrible.

It often feels disturbing to see Rosalina artworks that are beyond borderline. Sometimes I feel like her own dress should cover a lot more of her shoulders, because I see a lot of artworks where the dress is so loose that it exposes a lot of her upper torso; Rosalina basically risks exposing her private areas. If the dress was modified so that it covers Rosalina's entire body, instead of exposing her shoulders, then we probably wouldn't see those kinds of artworks so often.

GalacticPetey said:
MnSG said:
Marcia said:

They can be quite questionable at certain areas.
Do you expect her to swim in a dress?

No, swimming in clothes is absolutely ridiculous. Just ask me about an experience I've had with this.

Besides, I've seen one of the artworks, and it might not be a lot, but there's nothing inappropriate per se.

GalacticPetey said:
Do you expect her to swim in a dress?

Maybe not, but at least make Rosalina's swimsuit look less revealing.

Mary Berry said:
No, swimming in clothes is absolutely ridiculous. Just ask me about an experience I've had with this.

Besides, I've seen one of the artworks, and it might not be a lot, but there's nothing inappropriate per se.

Does the thigh area ring a bell? The artwork that you're probably referring to was considered inappropriate at the SmashBoards.

It is a little too far up, but the angle doesn't show anything inappropriate.

Mary Berry said:
It is a little too far up, but the angle doesn't show anything inappropriate.

Still, it was considered beyond borderline and was taken down.

GalacticPetey said:
Newsflash, swimsuits show skin.

SmashBoards does have rules in regards to such materials though. And unfortunately for Rosalina, she has been a victim of the beyond borderline topics a good number of times during the past set of years.

Smashboards sounds like a bunch of prudes. Nintendo shouldn't have to be compelled to dress Rosalina like a 1910s gal just because some weirdos can't function when lady thighs are about.

GalacticPetey said:
Who cares what SmashBoards thinks?

If you're trying to keep a forum at a PG-rated level, there has to be some important rules with the image postings. I've been there enough times see what kinds of artworks are fine and which ones have to pack their bags. Still, there have been a few that have left me stumped.

Anyway, in regards to Rosalina's dress, if it covered more of her upper body, that could've greatly reduced the amount of mature drawings that exist of her. The following drawing may have Rosalina wearing something different, but it does give you an idea on how to make her standard dress expose less skin.

rosalina_kimono_by_ediiee-d9mufo8.jpg

Look, I don't mean to be rude, but really, guys? I'm gonna have to side with Magikrazy. This isn't the early 1900s anymore. Shoulders and thighs haven't been considered scandalous for almost a century.

All of Rosalina's outfits are quite modest to begin with. Yet people find a way to make them seem scandalous and objectifying. Covering her shoulders is going to have little to no effect on the amount of NSFW artwork she has. Every fictional character is subject to it. (Rule 34 anyone?)

The same thing happens to Peach, who's probably one of the most conservatively-dressed female characters in video game history. I can understand not allowing NSFW fan art of family-friendly characters on a family-friendly site. But banning perfectly SFW official artwork of her just because it doesn't cover everything but her face is new low.

Everything starts some sort of controversy nowadays, so yes I'm with Magikrazy here.

Back