Frustration on Mario games?!

Summer

Qui vivra verra!
Ok, ok, I'm going to vent out my frustration here, ok?

Do any of you guys have a hard time 100% completing a Mario game in which you have to collect like 120 stars? I have Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Galaxy 1 and 2. For Super Mario 64, the most I've gotten is 100 stars and I'm at Tick Tock Clock. For Sunshine, I'm stuck with 60 stars. For Galaxy 1, I have 120 stars and for Galaxy 2, I have all the stars besides The Perfect Run and the comet medal for that stupid galaxy. Ugh, tellement frustrant! No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to complete a game one hundred percent and that is my only fricking wish! I look to guides, but they don't help much. Are any of you guys struggling like I am?

I actually find those games to be rather easy to 100%, beacuase you have a clearly defined goal. For platforming, you just have to memorize button combinations until you know them by heart through repetition. I've beaten all the games you mentioned except Sunshine, which I'm almost done. The only platformer I'm really stuck on is DK Country Returns, because getting a shiny gold time medal in Time Attack is ridiculous.

Mario Kart games are also rather annoying, particularly getting 3 star rankings in Super Circuit and DS. It requires near perfection, and each race is different every time, so you can't just learn the level. Mario Kart 8 literally requires you to buy s bunch of amiibo to unlock everything, which ticks me off.

And then there are those games where you have to grind for a billion coins or something. It's pointless and boring, but you can't say you beat the game until you do it.

Andymii said:
Mario Kart 8 literally requires you to buy s bunch of amiibo to unlock everything, which ticks me off.
Not really, as far as I know amiibo only unlock costumes, that don't alter the gameplay. You gain the parts by collecting coins or by satisfying certain criteria (e.g. beat all the staff ghosts in the non-DLC tracks, get at least a star rating in all the non-DLC cups).

I personally finished all the 3D Mario games at 100% stars/shine sprites except for Super Mario 3D Land, because I don't own a 3DS. I would say that the really difficult challenges are the the Daredevil Comet of the Grandmaster Galaxy in Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Champion's Road of Super Mario 3D World with Toad if you aim at getting a gold flag but you only know how to do that with a cat suit (yes, I did that and I suggest not to try that at home unless you are real gurus of the game! I wasn't and I lost so many lives in achieving that...) . Plus, of course, those "Secrets" in Super Mario Sunshine with that awesome World 1-1 a cappella remake and those gruesome platforming sections...
In Super Mario Galaxy I had serious troubles with "Luigi's Purple Coins" in Toy Time Galaxy and "A Very Sticky Situation" in Sling Pod Galaxy, although I would gladly leave the Star Ball to Lemmy (but in general, all mini-games that required to use the Wiimote turned out to be frustrating more often than not...).
Finally, I played Super Mario 64 a while ago and I don't remember a memorably difficult star at the moment, maybe those 100 coins stars and the Tick Tock Clock stars if you entered in the clock at the wrong time...

When I was younger I traded away Yoshi's Story because I couldn't beat level 6-2 or some other level in the final world. Paper Mario I had to leave it for a while because I couldn't beat some boss (don't remember who), but when I picked it up again it was easy af. Same for Elder Princess Shroob, except that was still not easy when I played it again.

Challenge Node in Bowser's Inside Story repelled me, and I have no plans to come back and complete it.

Dream Team's Mad Skillathon was slightly maddening because of the 3D Green Shell, but did that quicker than I expected and momentum was high from there. I tried to get all the equipment but only managed this across my two files (Mini Hammer on one, Mini Boots and Mini Gloves on the other) because of the Golden Beanie's strange dropping habits.

Nothing else really comes to mind, I don't think.

@Andy: Don't play Dream Team, it's riddled with equipment only gotten from enemy drops with no way to visibly increase the drop rates.

I just beat Super Mario 3D World completely. Honestly, Champion's Road is way too overrated; I literally beat in in five minutes, which I did with every character. You just need to be powered up.

Notice anything here?

5gw7egl.jpg

Andymii said:
I actually find those games to be rather easy to 100%, beacuase you have a clearly defined goal. For platforming, you just have to memorize button combinations until you know them by heart through repetition. I've beaten all the games you mentioned except Sunshine, which I'm almost done. The only platformer I'm really stuck on is DK Country Returns, because getting a shiny gold time medal in Time Attack is ridiculous.

Mario Kart games are also rather annoying, particularly getting 3 star rankings in Super Circuit and DS. It requires near perfection, and each race is different every time, so you can't just learn the level. Mario Kart 8 literally requires you to buy s bunch of amiibo to unlock everything, which ticks me off.

And then there are those games where you have to grind for a billion coins or something. It's pointless and boring, but you can't say you beat the game until you do it.

I understand about the clearly defined goal, but sometimes, the stars are just plain frustrating and annoying to get. Don't you feel like breaking your TV after you try like five hundred times to get the star, but you just can't do it? The thing about the stars is that the guides don't help much. You basically have to have that skill to beat a level, whether it is patience or just lightly tapping the jump button. I understand the games like Mario Kart because they are indeed a pain.

For the Perfect Run, how many times have you died on that particular mission? For me, I get easily frustrated when I fail like five times. It's just so annoying. :(

Andymii said:
I just beat Super Mario 3D World completely. Honestly, Champion's Road is way too overrated; I literally beat in in five minutes, which I did with every character. You just need to be powered up.

Notice anything here?

5gw7egl.jpg
>Lives Lost: 0
Do you reset when you're about to die, or what?

Mister Wu said:
I personally finished all the 3D Mario games at 100% stars/shine sprites except for Super Mario 3D Land, because I don't own a 3DS. I would say that the really difficult challenges are the the Daredevil Comet of the Grandmaster Galaxy in Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Champion's Road of Super Mario 3D World with Toad if you aim at getting a gold flag but you only know how to do that with a cat suit (yes, I did that and I suggest not to try that at home unless you are real gurus of the game! I wasn't and I lost so many lives in achieving that...) . Plus, of course, those "Secrets" in Super Mario Sunshine with that awesome World 1-1 a cappella remake and those gruesome platforming sections...
In Super Mario Galaxy I had serious troubles with "Luigi's Purple Coins" in Toy Time Galaxy and "A Very Sticky Situation" in Sling Pod Galaxy, although I would gladly leave the Star Ball to Lemmy (but in general, all mini-games that required to use the Wiimote turned out to be frustrating more often than not...).
Finally, I played Super Mario 64 a while ago and I don't remember a memorably difficult star at the moment, maybe those 100 coins stars and the Tick Tock Clock stars if you entered in the clock at the wrong time...
:eek:
My respects to you. I'm really surprised. Not in a bad way surprised, by the way. :)
I guess the main reason most people don't complete the games is because of frustration. I'm glad that I at least have an ounce of self control because if I didn't, I would have a smashed up TV and a really frustrated me.

My wish is to beat just one platforming Mario game! That was my 2015 New Years Resolution, but that didn't come true.

Hobbes said:
When I was younger I traded away Yoshi's Story because I couldn't beat level 6-2 or some other level in the final world. Paper Mario I had to leave it for a while because I couldn't beat some boss (don't remember who), but when I picked it up again it was easy af. Same for Elder Princess Shroob, except that was still not easy when I played it again.

Wow. Did you pick up Yoshi's Story again and finish it off?
Oh yeah, how was Cackletta? The part where you only had 1 fricking HP? XD

Andymii said:

Notice anything here?

5gw7egl.jpg
:'(
Luck you~
Yeah, I understand how overrated Champion's Road is, but The Perfect Run on the other hand.....*shivers*
Curse that galaxy.

I hate Champagne's Rude so much.

I also hate Teh Perfucked Ran too.

Hell, I hate it whenever Nintendo of Tokyo makes these stupid hard levels.

lost levels, nuff' said.

also lots of times in sunshine.

Summer said:
For the Perfect Run, how many times have you died on that particular mission? For me, I get easily frustrated when I fail like five times. It's just so annoying. :(

That ate up around 70 lives. I ended up beating it with my brother as a Co-Star Luma. It took me even longer to beat that than the Impossible Pack from NSMB2.

Have you tried challenge mode in NSMBU?

Chiaki Nanami said:

Exactly so.

Andymii said:
Chiaki Nanami said:

Exactly so.
Are you really good at the game, then? Could you do a run of the game without resets that still would land you at zero deaths? I'd be able to do what you did, except it's just tedious and not fun. Try deleting your file when you take damage and try playing it again. I tried doing something similar for Super Mario Galaxy, except I stopped after reaching the Fountain since it was so boring.

Also,

Andymii said:
That ate up around 70 lives. I ended up beating it with my brother as a Co-Star Luma.
That took me only 30 lives and I managed to get it without any help. The second time I got it, it took me six lives. The next time I do it, I predict that it's going to take three tries or something. The deal with The Perfect Run is that it requires something that modern platformers rarely do, patience, for which I love it.

Chiaki Nanami said:
Are you really good at the game, then? Could you do a run of the game without resets that still would land you at zero deaths? I'd be able to do what you did, except it's just tedious and not fun.

The thing is, 3D World is so easy that I don't do that often, so when I do, it's not a big deal. It does make multiplayer much harder, though.

It also makes it harder by essentially removing midway checkpoints.

For me, the annoying parts of the Mario games are not the secret missions in the platformers (though the Perfect Run gave me some trouble and so did Champion's Road), but the bonus content in the RPG games.

For example, every Mario & Luigi game since Bowser's Inside Story has a section with a boss rush, a mini game challenge area and (in the later games) some sort of giant battle rush. Those are an utter pain in the backside to complete, especially given how the controls are never particularly precise and the task usually involves doing the same boring task a few thousand times. At least the secret levels in the platformers are the same sort of thing you've been doing for the whole game, rather than a mini game only tangently related to the core gameplay.

Ah well, at least Paper Jam toned down the requirements a bit. Though that one decided putting a bunch of 'hard mode' versions of Toad missions was a good idea.

I still cannot beat Champion's Road in 3D World. I spent a total of 130 lived until giving up, my little brother spent 5.

It took me 45 Attempts to beat Wii Rainbow Road in Mario Kart Wii.

Summer said:
Hobbes said:

Wow. Did you pick up Yoshi's Story again and finish it off?
Oh yeah, how was Cackletta? The part where you only had 1 fricking HP? XD
No :'( I never got the chance to play it again, and all I was left with was some stupid Disney racing game. Damn did those guys rip me off.

I don't remember suffering much with Cackletta.

Andymii said:
particularly getting 3 star rankings in Super Circuit...It requires near perfection, and each race is different every time,

Super Circuit doesn't even necessarily require near perfection, it's just some extra arbitrary bullcrap you have to do to make the game count towards your score.

You can't let go of the A button for too long, you shouldn't use the brakes either, you should pass over an item box with an item inside, using Bowser increases your score, using Triple Reds, Star, and Lightning Bolts decrease your score (even though you can get those from stealing via Boo, making the Boo one of the worst items you can get for a triple star run), etc.

The game's way of controlling certainly doesn't help either, especially in 150cc, where you probably will end up bumping into walls and therefore decreasing your score.

And no, in Super Circuit, the Grand Prix race isn't much different every time. I remember trying to get triple stars in a 150cc extra cup, and I remember that at certain points of the race, I always get a Boo on me or someone tossing a red shell at me, right at the exact point, to the point where I can predict it and get it right.

Andymii said:

Notice anything here?

pic

did you have a super leaf or just pure luck?

Mary Berry said:
Andymii said:

Notice anything here?

pic

did you have a super leaf or just pure luck?

(Tanooki + Lucky Bell) * 5 characters

With Tanooki in the Chargin' Chuck, Magikoopa, Beat Block, Piranha, and Dash Panel sections, and Lucky Bell in rest

By doing this, the level is much easier for all five characters. However, it's still easiest with Peach.

Baby Luigi said:
Andymii said:
particularly getting 3 star rankings in Super Circuit...It requires near perfection, and each race is different every time,

Super Circuit doesn't even necessarily require near perfection, it's just some extra arbitrary bullcrap you have to do to make the game count towards your score.

You can't let go of the A button for too long, you shouldn't use the brakes either, you should pass over an item box with an item inside, using Bowser increases your score, using Triple Reds, Star, and Lightning Bolts decrease your score (even though you can get those from stealing via Boo, making the Boo one of the worst items you can get for a triple star run), etc.

lol, I had no idea Super Circuit's rating system was so byzantine.

are the other MKs like that?

Mario Kart Wii is the closest I can think of, where it's impossible to get a triple star rank in the Shell Cup (any other cup is fine), even if your performance was perfection, unless you drive freaking offroad and perform a trick on a ramp intended for Mushrooms and stuff in some stages (namely Peach Beach and Mario Raceway).

Aside from that, none of them is as bad as Super Circuit, though no one (at least as far as I know) has bothered data-mining DS and Wii to see what the game keeps track of and calculates into a rank.

DS isn't toooo bad; I've gotten three stars on many of them. Mario Kart 7 & 8 are pathetically easy.

Back