Frustration on Mario games?!

Okay, just gotten the Wellington Boots in Mario & Luigi Paper Jam, and already that's become the most frustrating thing in the Mario series for me.

Why? Cause it turns out to get this:

00040-400x430.png

You need to be lucky when countering a certain attack from a certain rare enemy in a certain area. It's maybe a one in ten thousand chance, if you're not lucky.

No offence to anyone, but I consider that poor design.

Mario Strikers Charged's Striker Cup... That is all...

Baby Luigi said:
Mario Kart Wii is the closest I can think of, where it's impossible to get a triple star rank in the Shell Cup (any other cup is fine), even if your performance was perfection, unless you drive freaking offroad and perform a trick on a ramp intended for Mushrooms and stuff in some stages (namely Peach Beach and Mario Raceway).
For me it's the Leaf Cup, I swear it's a nightmare to get triple stars.

JBX9001 said:
I actually won all matches with Mario, Toad, Boo, and Dry Bones, including against Petey Piranha. Never got into Sudden Death either. The first match with Petey was like 3-2 in favor of me, and the second one was 0-5 in favor of me. Still proud that I trounced that wretched plant thing.

that's because you got practice in crystal cup thanks to the 60 minutes cheat.

expert-level 100 mario challene in mario maker can fuck right off

sucks because some of the best costumes are locked behind that mode

Mario Kart 7. 150CC Mushroom cup.

I CAN'T FUCKING GET 3 STARS NO MATTER WHAT I DO. I KEEP GETTING 2 STARS.

Sylveon said:

I CAN'T FUCKING GET 3 STARS NO MATTER WHAT I DO. I KEEP GETTING 2 STARS.

Uhh... Just get first place 4 times? I found it pretty easy. Are you sure you're referring to the right Mario Kart?

Because if you find MK7 hard, then don't even attempt any previous Mario Kart, where you have to get first every time while never hitting any items, hitting a wall, going off road, etc.

Andymii said:
Sylveon said:

I CAN'T *bleep*ING GET 3 STARS NO MATTER WHAT I DO. I KEEP GETTING 2 STARS.

Uhh... Just get first place 4 times? I found it pretty easy. Are you sure you're referring to the right Mario Kart?

Because if you find MK7 hard, then don't even attempt any previous Mario Kart, where you have to get first every time while never hitting any items, hitting a wall, going off road, etc.

I fell off once in Mario Kart Wii. I got triple stars

Your performance doesn't need to be perfect, you just need to perform great.

Unlocking Metal Dr Mario and Vampire Wario in Dr Mario 64.

Sylveon said:

I CAN'T *bleep*ING GET 3 STARS NO MATTER WHAT I DO. I KEEP GETTING 2 STARS.
Cheep Cheep Lagoon is a pain in the ass sometimes, but what exactly is going wrong? As long as you drift properly and make good use of your items, you should do fine.

GBAToad said:
expert-level 100 mario challene in mario maker can *bleep* right off

sucks because some of the best costumes are locked behind that mode
I've heard really awful things about that challenge, so I'm inclined to hate it.

Dr. Mario said:
JBX9001 said:
I actually won all matches with Mario, Toad, Boo, and Dry Bones, including against Petey Piranha. Never got into Sudden Death either. The first match with Petey was like 3-2 in favor of me, and the second one was 0-5 in favor of me. Still proud that I trounced that wretched plant thing.

I don't know if it'd be easier for me now, but back during my first playthrough, I'll just say it was the first and still the only game to make me literally sweat out of nervousness! I was determined to get the Golden Foot and Brick Wall Trophies as well as the Striker Cup itself, but I also didn;t want to lose once either (and the game is unforgiving; it even counts resetting the whole game during a match as a loss!) On the plus side, surpassing it made me near invincible in MSC!

I actually cheesed for the most part, but I did get a ton of practice blocking Mega Strike balls, on orange. That's because I modded the game to have a freakish amount of time on earlier matches so the score was, like, 120-20 (in my favor) when it was done, but I had a normal amount of time against Petey Piranha. I believe I made it a normal amount so I could get Golden Wall and Golden Foot. If you look at my team, it's not really designed to directly kick balls into the goal, it's all about dodging past the goalie. Boo has especially scored a freak ton of points, Toad did as well, but he's not as successful as Boo, and Dry Bones is there because she's fast and can defend when I need to. Mario's mostly there because I like him but I guess he can seize white balls for a quick attempt at a goal if Dry Bones isn't available.

i didnt play mario galaxy a lot, but god DAMN did I hate the gyroscope-balance-on-a-ball levels

mario 64 is fairly easy once you know
a toad has one of the secret stars

super mario sunshine though, I would call the hardest, since theres no indication of where a ton of blue coins are at all

Iggy Waffles said:
Those stupid 100 coin missions. You could imagine my frustration when I died trying to get to the star.
Purple Coins are worse than the 64's ones because in 64, you were much less susceptible to dying (aside from falling off), and there are several ways to get coins.

BEEEEEAAARRRS said:
super mario sunshine though, I would call the hardest, since theres no indication of where a ton of blue coins are at all
What's worse is that once you get a blue coin, you don't know how many are left in a given level.

Dr. Mario said:
Iggy Waffles said:
Those stupid 100 coin missions. You could imagine my frustration when I died trying to get to the star.
Purple Coins are worse than the 64's ones because in 64, you were much less susceptible to dying (aside from falling off), and there are several ways to get coins.
I know, but I feel the one's in 64 are more of a patience test, and I really can't endure all the waiting. I have the zero-patience that everyone loves me for, but that's probably just me.

I think that, in-game wise, those challenging stages that lack Checkpoints are really frustrating, namely Champion's Road and Mummy-Me Maze Forever. The former especially, because it's particularly long and every part requires crossing. Doesn't stop it from being rewarding, though.

Iggy Waffles said:

I can imagine that Jolly Roger Bay is most frustrating for you.

Thanks for reading.

winstein said:
I think that, in-game wise, those challenging stages that lack Checkpoints are really frustrating, namely Champion's Road and Mummy-Me Maze Forever. The former especially, because it's particularly long and every part requires crossing. Doesn't stop it from being rewarding, though.

Iggy Waffles said:

I can imagine that Jolly Roger Bay is most frustrating for you.

Thanks for reading.

Jolly Roger Bay wasn't too bad, Hazy Maze Cave's however, is a entirely different story. The mission is an endurance test at most, ironically it's my favourite stage.

Pink Gold Worthless-Wasteful-Annoying-voiced-more-so-than-Baby-Daisy-Pointelss-Out-of-nowhere-stupid-recolor-with-haunting-lifeless-pupil-less-eyes-needs-to-be-melted-into-gold-bars-Should've-been-Dry-Bones-Piece-of-Sh-I mean- Pink Gold Peach being a problem along with Metal Mario always also giving me trouble. They're to me what :dk: is to Dashie. Speaking of him, I wonder what it would be like playing those Mario Maker levels that are sent to him? lol

Back